76 replies to this topic

#61 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:15 PM

why are people comparing this to voodoo? its been 14yrs and he's been through a lot of personnel shit. I'm sure he's much different and I would expect his inspiration for the album to be different. sayin

Im only comparing the production techniques. Voodoo was done on analog tape and probably had major engineering nerds and probably a massive budget. This not so much. So if the only reason was budget I can understand. Anyhow, I am just a production, on the engineering side kind of nerd. 

#62 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:42 PM

I doubt this wasn't done on analog tape, since Russ Elevado had a hand in the production and he's one of those analog fanatics.

#63 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,515 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:42 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds ?uesto grating.

yeah weird ive never liked him but ive never seen anyone ever mention how cringy he is on here, i saw that his nardwaur interview was like an hour or some shit and didnt even bother

#64 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

I doubt this wasn't done on analog tape, since Russ Elevado had a hand in the production and he's one of those analog fanatics.

it SOUNDS analog as fuck.  almost annoyingly analog on certain tracks

#65 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:01 PM

it SOUNDS analog as fuck.  almost annoyingly analog on certain tracks

Hm. 

Not to me. 

Perhaps it is, but comparatively, Voodoo, sonically sounds much warmer. Given the finances of the music industry and the cost of analog over digital, I would not be surprsied if it is just digital. Also, after reading up, this album is a collection of songs dating between 2001 and 2010. Wierd I know, but still, if dude was just recording tracks here and there, and not a few month session, straight thru, digital makes much more sense. 

regardless, such a beautiful album. 

#66 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

what's up with colorado cats sleeping on Voodoo, it's been like 12 years

weed makes us very sleepy

#67 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted Yesterday, 06:48 AM

I haven't heard the album yet, but it was recorded on tape.  I was reading a NYT article about the recording and they used a HUGE amount of tape for the project.  (due to how long they've worked on the project)

#68 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted Yesterday, 07:54 AM

HE SAID HE WANTED TO DO SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM VOODOO, im pretty sure this is why it sounds different

#69 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:57 AM

I haven't heard the album yet, but it was recorded on tape.  I was reading a NYT article about the recording and they used a HUGE amount of tape for the project.  (due to how long they've worked on the project)

can you explain to me how or why this works or adds a different deminsion to it? ive read this alot about this album and everyone is talking about how crazy it was that he recorded it to tape... but im not to knowledgable about recording processes, is recording it to tape basically an old school way, does it have any bearing on how it all sounds, or is it one of those things where its just not the norm and timely+costly?

#70 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,780 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:34 AM

can you explain to me how or why this works or adds a different deminsion to it? ive read this alot about this album and everyone is talking about how crazy it was that he recorded it to tape... but im not to knowledgable about recording processes, is recording it to tape basically an old school way, does it have any bearing on how it all sounds, or is it one of those things where its just not the norm and timely+costly?

I am not convinced it was analog recording, anyhow, don't really care, its an amazing album.

Geech. Analog recording is a continuous flow of data. The sounds are recorded onto magnetic tape and are uniterupted. A continuous flow. Digital is broken up into tiny samples, 0's and 1's. Tiny fragments. The end result is a warmer sound on analog, a crisper sound in digital.
  • gEEchieDan and James Frank. like this

#71 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted Yesterday, 12:19 PM

"He recalled recording sessions that went on for three days straight, partly because the album was recorded entirely analog, on two-inch reel-to-reel tape. If work on one song wasn’t clicking, he explained, it could take up to two hours to pull up a new one. “It’s not just moving a mouse around,” he said.

The finished album used about 200 reels of tape, Mr. Elevado estimated, and “that alone is more than most budgets for entire projects.”

http://www.nytimes.c...-rush.html?_r=0

And yes, gEEchieDan, analog tape has a different sound to it.  It's also VERY expensive, that's a BIG reason why ProTools and DAWs were able to take ish over.  (cheap compaired to tape)  It's a LONG process to record and many things people take for granted with DAWs you can't do with tape.

I wouldn't be suprised if, although recorded analog, it was mastered digitally or put into ProTools to do final editing, which could explain what you're saying you hear or don't hear Mangoes. 

• gEEchieDan likes this

#72 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:46 PM

thanks alot bros!!!!

#73 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted Yesterday, 03:28 PM

I mean the sound of the bass and drums is unmistakably tubby and analog. I don't know of any tape emulators that sound THAT good

#74 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,780 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Maybe it's my shitty audio set up, but first impression were that it was digital... I guess I am not always right tho.

#75 Constrobuz

Constrobuz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted Today, 05:09 AM

it sounds digital to me too. doesnt really matter if it's recorded on tape if they used modern amps, microphones, etc. its going to sound way cleaner and colder. most of the analogue warmth/grit we hear on older records is because it was recorded on old equipment that naturally gave the sounds that character. its like how early 90s producers swore by the sp1200 and its unmistakeable sound, same with all the gear used in the 60s/70s.

• mangoes cash likes this

#76 Heavy Drama

Heavy Drama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted Today, 07:08 AM

oh dear

#77 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,780 posts

Posted Today, 07:41 AM

it sounds digital to me too. doesnt really matter if it's recorded on tape if they used modern amps, microphones, etc. its going to sound way cleaner and colder. most of the analogue warmth/grit we hear on older records is because it was recorded on old equipment that naturally gave the sounds that character. its like how early 90s producers swore by the sp1200 and its unmistakeable sound, same with all the gear used in the 60s/70s.

True, and Electric Ladyland Studios is full of vintage gear. I think I am hearing drum machine sounds on this one. Oh well, we cant have everything. All I am saying is imagine if he had taken this album of songs and had recorded it through all that all, tube-ish gear. Wow wow We wai.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users