#181 Low Hiss

Low Hiss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Wax (both meanings^^), Vintage samplers, Good music
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/low-hiss

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:06 AM

ever wonder if this is why quasimoto didnt want to be exposed ? 

everyone all in his bizness?

oh well its whatever now 

i still have the orig version of the unseen with the transformers theme on there.

and who the fuck is Madlib?

Any chance you could hook me up with that original version of the unseen?

#182 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

GODBODY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:Art, Advertising, Graphic Design, Photography....
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/delicuts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:14 AM

are the songs different? or is it just the cover?

#183 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:38 AM

This discussion has fallen off course. Sampling can be helpful, but it can also be deadly to music.

Madlib is interesting and musical but even he has to pay for appropriation. The Internet ruined music and his fans that didn't purchase or download his music suck. Those that did will factor into how much is paid out as a remedy.

#184 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:40 AM

unfortunately you're applying the quote in the wrong context because you're using it literally. stealing in this case means getting an idea and applying it to something you're doing/will do. for example, when dw griffith made 'birth of a nation' he used a technique of intercutting that had never been done before. this was later adopted by other filmmakers who used the same technique, but they didn't intercut the same images he did, they simply applied that idea of intercutting in the way he did to fit their own stories. this is what separates an individual voice and a ripoff con artist that basically gives you a cheaper imitation of something better. 

nobody broke into daimler benz and stop their patent to create another car, but they were influenced to make cars in the same quality that daimler benz has created. this is how you "steal" an idea.

Well, I'm pretty sure "stealing" in the quote I used is meant to be taken as literally as possible, otherwise there would no point in making it. 

Again, though, the point isn't stealing for the sake of stealing. It's just to draw attention to the fact that creativity cannot be limited to notions of ownership.

It's like, when people tell me Led Zeppelin stole all their music from blues. My reaction, is "Oh really? Well then I wish more people would start stealing from blues musicians, because Led Zeppelin wrote some pretty great fucking songs."

#185 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

that quote originally comes from T.S. Elliot, talking about poetry. the point of the full quote is not "literally steal things from other artists". it's simplified statement about the difference between petty imitation and skillfully building on what came before. it's a pretty good summation/metaphor for how GOOD sampling in general should be handled (vs. how bad sampling can just be an unimaginative regurgitation of its original sample), but isn't really saying "feel free to take other artists work without their consent because that's what makes a good artist"

• James Frank. likes this

#186 bamajoe

bamajoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

Hey, what's wrong with trap beats? :(

#187 GPBear

GPBear

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:27 PM

This discussion has fallen off course. Sampling can be helpful, but it can also be deadly to music.

Madlib is interesting and musical but even he has to pay for appropriation. The Internet ruined music and his fans that didn't purchase or download his music suck. Those that did will factor into how much is paid out as a remedy.

You can't blame the new generation for the death of sample based music.

It has entirely to do with the old guard refusing to pass the historic torch. From Bach-Count Basie there was always a comradery within music, the generation before Hip-Hop adamantly refused to let them into their boys club. It's like how artists scoffed at abstraction or Pop Art, they didn't like their work, so instead of just not buying it, they went out and attacked and attacked and attacked. Those art movements died because the art world dismissed them, thus cutting them off from the money streams, so they withered away and died eventually. The older musicians scoffed at hip-hop, so people like Madlib never got the respect they deserved, until people like them withered away and were forced to go get jobs as insurance salesmen.

People can attack my side-points all they want, but my main thesis has always been "Musicians like Bob James should get their sample money, they should not get to attack the musicians they sue's artistry while they get their sample money"

• James Frank. likes this

#188 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:16 PM

Pop art id imagine is much like modern art that was simply created to sell vile artwork for millions. It's terrible art. The art dealers and those behind the ruse (think Hasidic diamond dealers) promoted the idea that this crap is worth the millions it sells for-there are two signs to that coin.

#189 GPBear

GPBear

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:13 PM

That's just historically inaccurate. Andy Warhol was purposefully working with people like Candy Darling because they were trannys and on the outskirts of society in the 1960s. The Velvet Underground wasn't making millions in the 1960s. They invented the DIY ethic within the art world, treated each other like famous people ironically because no one else would, then eventually your Zionist Art Mongers swoop in and tried to make a buck after the glory days were long gone. Same as with all niche cult art markets.

It's not "terrible art" that's exactly what people said about Impressionists, Post-Impressionists, Cubists, Pop Artists, Neo-Expressionists, Graffiti, Contemporary, Post-Modern, and Street art. There's no such thing as terrible art. Artists just group together in cities because they're outcasts of the zeitgeist, and then newspapers give them a label that no one in the actual group likes after one of them gains some notoriety, and then 50 years later people think there was some art movement when really it was just a bunch of nerdy friends getting wasted in an apartment covered with aluminum foil. "When you front, it's inspriational" even the 'bad' artists show good artists what not-to-do.

#190 Pattch82

Pattch82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:59 AM

I think there needs to be some sort of scale... i.e., did the sample make the song or did it just add an element to the song.

Case in point would be Puff Daddy and the samples he used back in the 90's, he took an original track and basicall rapped over it to create his track/s.  That should be looked on in a totally different light than someone like RZA and what he was doing with samples in the 90's, chopping them up until they were almost unrecognisable, and layering them to create a new texture and a completely new composition.

And then there are also modern day composers/instrumentalists that actually WANT their music to be sampled... Adrian Younge being the most obvious one at the moment.  He has said many times that he makes his music hoping that it will be sampled.  And he has been sampled A LOT just in the last couple of years.   But what happens when he is no longer flavour of the month and maybe the cash flow dries up... could he then look to sue the people that sampled him?  Even though he has stated that he wanted it to happen?  How would a record company / court / lawyer look at that situation?

#191 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:30 AM

Madlib is working with a new MC for a collaboration that will debut in summer.

From the Rappcats e-mail

• GPBear likes this

#192 spanishFLU

spanishFLU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

From the Rappcats e-mail

Dope.  Any guesses as to who he's working with?

#193 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:12 AM

Bishop Nehru lol

#194 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

lmao i just hope it's not some young kid after the nehru fiasco. "a new MC" could mean new-to-madlib or just new in general? and I wonder if debuting this summer means one 12" in august, or a whole album before fall?

where's that damn MV 45 from Invazion!

• GC90 likes this

#195 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:39 PM

where's that damn MV 45 from Invazion!

Seriously, if we can't get MV2 wish we could get this instead. What if this meant MV2 was being released this summer lol

I'd guess it will prob be a 12" like they did with FG and that MED/Blu album that's being worked on

#196 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

I would cheer with glee if the "NEW" mc is one of these guys:

#197 Yvon

Yvon

Advanced Member

• Members