42 replies to this topic

#31 spanishFLU

spanishFLU

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/looseleafny

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:31 AM

Couldnt make it more than a few minutes into the DK one. Youre obviously really comfortable in front of a camera which is a good thing.

The hot ass beats vid kept my attention, definitely thought that one was dope, but IDK I cant tell if thats how you really talk or youre just exaggerating but its a little grating.

#32 spanishFLU

spanishFLU

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:35 AM

Do yourself a favor and grab a turntable that you can put a decent needle on.

#33 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:30 PM

Do yourself a favor and grab a turntable that you can put a decent needle on.

it's not the equipment that makes the musician...

but yeah, the other point you made was definitely valid --- i'm still trying to figure out my voice for the show, it sorta drifts between like 6-7 variations at this point...but believe me, if i talked in my calm/normal demeanor you'd be bored out of your mind within thirty seconds.

#34 spanishFLU

spanishFLU

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:57 PM

it's not the equipment that makes the musician...

but yeah, the other point you made was definitely valid --- i'm still trying to figure out my voice for the show, it sorta drifts between like 6-7 variations at this point...but believe me, if i talked in my calm/normal demeanor you'd be bored out of your mind within thirty seconds.

Nah im not saying you need a better needle to MAKE music. I just saw you have alot of gear and probably have alot of records so I figured you might want to get the best out of them.

Stick with it though fam, you got somethin brewin.

#35 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:40 PM

you guys might be interested in this one, being a music-based message board and all...

this was one of my finals for class last semester, believe it or not haha.

i was actually graded for this...isn't that weird?

Nice!

#36 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:18 PM

just noticed my views for this particular video shot up over the last week...

thank you for the views, although i can't figure out exactly where they're coming from haha.

but yeah, "...HOT ASS BEATS" is now the top-viewed video on the channel -- in a race between 3, count 'em 3 videos...so yeah, superb!

appreciate it.  next one is coming, hopefully before end of this month.

#37 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

You're really fucking good with the production, but you're using it to frame another AVGN...without the Rolling Rock.

I love it, but I hate it. Don't use words you'd see on a third grade playground: "Crap, ass,". It's like Uncle Joey's Children's Show.

We can fix this.

Let me help you, James Frank, let me an unknown nobody, help you.

You're going at it like, writing a novel one sentence at a time. I James Frankly don't care about your breathy jokes. If I wanted joke wrters, I'd watch Seinfeld or some dead Pryor/Carlin/Hicks on yotube. We're here for James Frank.

Come up with three points for the middle, a skit for the beginning that's a regular routine you can feed that will lead into your three points, and then because it's comedy you're going to resolve with a happy ending that ties together your beggining and middle.  You have your rules of thirds and colors down, it's comedy. Not tragedy. So you use major/happy sounding music. Happy colors. Get some upbeat ephemera to Kubrick into the back ground/some gundam toys that match the color scheme of your record shop or whatever. Around the climax add the most dramatic music/colors and make your major point of the week. Boom. Million sheeple followers who like you because you're happy and make them feel happy.

#38 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

lol i don't think i've ever said the word "crap" in anything i've ever done...feedback is much appreciated though. usually i'm told the show's more stylistically linked to JonTron than AVGN, but that's just unavoidable for a first-time showrunner during the first few episodes of a new show virtually by myself.

basically, i'm trying to move past the awkward stage as quickly as possible and carve out my own niche within this subgenre of web content. when 95% of competition sucks "asssssssssssssss", it seems like a no-brainer for me to at least try my hand at making these kind of videos actually enjoyable to an audience larger than an E3 showroom...the end goal is crossover potential, and i'm fairly positive that nobody on here really fits the demo; so to hear anything positive from you guys feels like a win for me.

#39 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

I'm tellin' you, you need cheesy recurring skits that can easily be wrapped around topical subjects

#40 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:15 PM

I'm tellin' you, you need cheesy recurring skits that can easily be wrapped around topical subjects

yeah, this first season's going to have a lot of skits with my take on the kinda content that makes every other YouTuber successful...the xmas gift vid and the record shopping vid were both essentially how-to videos, and there's plenty more where those came from.

#41 Cheel

Cheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC AND TING
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/cheel

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

Yeah those 'swag haul' videos or whatever, where people unpack all the shit they bought at the shops, make me want to punch the Internet in the face
  • GC90 and James Frank. like this

#42 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

^ that's on the list

#43 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted Today, 09:27 AM

holy fucking shit, guys -- this video nearly killed me. i didn't even keep track of how many hours i worked on it, but at last it's finished now only thirty-nine days late.

the length is shorter, the jokes punchier and the material is a bit more edgy than the last three videos; but i think the first 5 minutes is my best work to date, i'm that confident in the production values (and the script).

now that this is done, there's a little epilogue to this episode i gotta shoot, then probably nothing for a couple months because my hands are fucked like you wouldn't believe. anyway, enjoy -- hope you like it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users