• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted Today, 05:43 PM

Hey.

So today I was setting up some sound for this "Empathy Week" thing they're doing on campus that basically informs us all about sex trafficking and how it's a really bad thing...that's besides the point.

Anyway, I was setting up sound specifically for this acoustic guitarist who played some stuff as people came in and sat down. I tried steering the quick conversation we had to his music, and asked him if he records any of his stuff. I then tried hinting that I do music myself in my spare time, and I've always wamted to meld electronic and acoustic instrumentation together. He didn't seem to care as I was saying this, but I sorta described my sound as "experimental hip-hop". IMMEDIATELY his eyes glazed over and he basically just lost any interest he had whatsoever, and said something passive-aggressively polite like "well, that's what sells these days."

So that was that; I didn't even bother asking him if he would maybe be interested in collaborating, because I could see the answer on his face already. Instead, my question now is this: what the fuck is so wrong with hip-hop? Do any of you other producers out there feel this heavy stigma coming from musicians in other genreswhy is that, shouldn't we be past that shit by now? It's 2014, we're not in the fucking MC Hammer days anymore. In my eyes, hip-hop has evolved tremendously over the past ten, twenty years, and has more than proven itself worthy of academic praise (ahem, Aesop Rock)...so why the fuck is hip-hop still so far from being respected academically? It really pisses me off when I have to excuse my genre and vainly try to convince people that "no, I'm doing this SMART rap, not that DUMB bassy rap you hear everywhere else."

So, thoughts? Any of you guys find youself dealing with this constantly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users