54 replies to this topic

#31 nutonetheunknown

nutonetheunknown

Rookie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://www.soundcloud.com/iamnutone

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

The ego man. It's probably not even about the music. Hell his dickering around shows that "hip hop" for him consists strictly of the radio. 

#32 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Funky Freshman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:04 PM

no, now it's a joke:

Are you implying that wasn't great? That Blackalicious EP basically got me into music and watching Harry Potter rap it on national television gave me an amazing nostalgia trip.

#33 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop and Film
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/thejackal2011

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:30 PM

Yeah I don't mind that. I'd rather it be a Blackalicious song being repped than an Eminem song or a Jay Z song. Hell, this might actually get Blackalicious some new fans and some more money!

#34 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:53 PM

Are you implying that wasn't great? That Blackalicious EP basically got me into music and watching Harry Potter rap it on national television gave me an amazing nostalgia trip.

tbh i didn't even watch it lol, i just read "Daniel Radcliffe" and "raps" and assumed it would be bad...and now you've called me out on my lies. 

you're blowing up my spot, Primate!

• GC90 likes this

#35 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:36 PM

tbh i didn't even watch it lol, i just read "Daniel Radcliffe" and "raps" and assumed it would be bad...and now you've called me out on my lies. 

you're blowing up my spot, Primate!

Didn't check this out since the idea sounded pretty corny, watched it now and it wasn't too bad. Hopefully people will check out Blackalicious after seeing it.

#36 Cheel

Cheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC AND TING
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/cheel

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:49 AM

Yeah I have a hard enough time talking normally without even making words rhyme so I'm not going to hate on Danny Potter there

Blackalicious are cool but that song always seemed a bit gimmicky to me. Like I heard it once and thought 'heh that's cool' and then never felt the need to hear it again.

It's good to know Harry Wizzardcliffe is a rap fan too.

#37 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:59 AM

Do I think hip-hop is a joke? No I am a surly golden generation guy who enjoy
Ed passing around underground knowledge. Is it currently
A joke? Pretty much-people are trying to get paid off of bshit.

One thing I believe-hip hop producers have great ears for music.

I respect everyone on this site as mostly there are a lot of diggers on the site who enjoy The more mathematically complex genres and attendant histories.
  • James Frank. likes this

#38 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

i could've sworn this topic had more responses in it than this...but oh well.

i just have this funny little dream of reaching out and collaborating with other musicians -- i feel like that's mutually beneficial to all parties involved.

he/she gets exposure; i get a chance to work on creating original compositions/lyrics; we all get paid eventually (maybe)...so what's the deal?

i'm just so sick of these fucking music snobs acting like hip-hop's still just a passing fad.

especially when rock AND jazz used to be marginalized in society at certain points in history.

for them to just dismiss all music that's made with computers is very narrow-minded...and hypocritical, if you include acts like Radiohead in the discussion.  it's like they have no issue with Danger Mouse producing a Black Keys track and mixing it with digital means, but God forbid if he decides to go back to his original persona and start sampling Beatles tracks again...it's just utter nonsense.

#39 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

Bump

#40 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

Yeah there should be way more responses. It was a good post that touched on a real issue.

Your idea of collaborating is a great one-but bear in mind that you are brighter and more ethically centered than 99.999% of the individuals that You will be dealing with. There will be people that will have your back, but as you know many of these musicians are only out for their personal gain and rarely do they have funds. I won't begin to tell you about my forays into management and losses I have chalked up owing to my bleeding heart idealism.

You can definitely be a successful producer because you possess these qualities. But it's such an artificial playing field. I had the hardest time dumping some crooner who wanted me to invest myself in him. He kept saying that I had to pay for a good seat at the Grammys and the such. Or some low grade stickup kid with ties to Def Jam who liked to talk about how he had white people as slaves. You have to tread lightly and remember why you are doing this thing in the first place.

There is room to work with the likes of Sting and the police( or whatever the non illuminati moniker is). That was good stuff. Or the next Vivian Mojiica...but then you have to be the rap promoter...shit. You always have to be the promoter.

Don't deal with hipsters. You never hear the successful legends in soul music call out anybody for "not being real musicians."

#41 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:35 PM

very true.  it's a weird stigma that i think will lessen over time -- i mean, look at jazz.  could you imagine the look on the faces of the aristocracy back then if they had been told that it would eventually become the go-to music for fancy occasions?  i imagine a day where large groups of refined gentlemen and women sit beside a fire sipping space wine and eating...fucking hologram crackers or something, playing Nicki Minaj on the loudspeaker as they discuss politics and bitcoins.

• Cheel and MWBOOGIE like this

#42 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:59 PM

Jazz is the shit-all of it. It's like the lifeblood-like African drums. Funny that you mention internet currency. Ugh. I find it to be a near perfect metaphor for this post (almost) apocalyptic age. Baseless stuff, devoid of substance and govt backing. Shallow like any dude who drives a range rover. That's not what life is about. I'm glad that you brought it up. But I do see people that I run into who treat the sub genre of pop, as though it is a formula to rise up. It's their choice-but, there is something to adhering to pro-black/or what have you teaching.

I recognize how shallow I can be when I lust after Darling Nikki. She went thick long ago-but she may never get back to a reasonable weight. I love thick girls but you'll never hear me say that I want to hit up Aretha Franklin.

So, you are yourself stuck as an observer in a world you don't understand. Reminds me of the Chris Rock diatribe in his "bring the pain" special where he talks about hiding his intellectual inclinations from the brothas that are busy counting crack rocks.

#43 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:14 PM

^ this right here is the most quotable man on the STMB.

#44 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:18 PM

I'd argue the same about You. It's nice to engage in postmodern dialogue in the Us. The future foretells that You will make a bigger mark.

#45 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Black Coffee
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/edtheyounger

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:41 PM

i could've sworn this topic had more responses in it than this...but oh well.

Think you may have accidentally posted twice or the forum had a hiccup... http://www.stonesthr...showtopic=26390

#46 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:09 PM

Yeah man, it's same deal with a bunch of shit like the Beatles, Elvis, etc. All the old people back then thought it was junk, now all the old people today love that crap but hate new pop. I'm sure it will be the same with all the shit like Justin Bieber, Nicki, Lil Wayne, Miley Cyrus, whatever shit is on the radio these days. IMO it all sucks and pop will continue to suck forever as it always has.

#47 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:43 PM

Yeah man, it's same deal with a bunch of shit like the Beatles, Elvis, etc. All the old people back then thought it was junk, now all the old people today love that crap but hate new pop. I'm sure it will be the same with all the shit like Justin Bieber, Nicki, Lil Wayne, Miley Cyrus, whatever shit is on the radio these days. IMO it all sucks and pop will continue to suck forever as it always has.

it's funny though, because there really does seem to be a progression of pop music getting worse and worse.  take that Nicki Minaj song above for example...like, compared to the Mama's and the Papa's singing about doves, it's kinda jarring to hear her rap about getting her ass eaten hahahaha.  i understand that our culture's loosening up as the years go by, but jesus christ...where's music gonna go from here?

what's gonna piss us off when we're all grumpy old men?  i found this one animation on YouTube that brilliantly speculates the future:

• SunnyMeadowz and GC90 like this

#48 Jubito

Jubito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:40 & A BLUNT, light1up, light the doobie 'till it glow like a ruby
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jubitoo

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:35 AM

tl;dr whole topic...

My opinion is that most people who are production-deep in hip-hop, who respect the culture and understand its origins also have a deeper understanding and respect for all of the cultures who paved the way for hip-hop, and are not confined to the single genre of hip-hop. Pay respect where respect is due.

Yeah that guy can play the guitar, cool...You should have told him how Madlib, after years of beatmaking, single-handedly picked up multiple instruments and started releasing jazz albums. I bet that's more impressive than anything that guy knows about music.

People tend to be biased toward hip-hop heads and think of them as people who don't have any other musical tastes, how they 'steal' from other artists and can't play a single instrument, while it's the exact opposite (well at least for the small amount of people present on this board). And then shit gets tougher because these elitist bullshit hipsters think that hip-hop is the shit they play on the radio (OH THE MOTHER-FUCKING IRONY!!!!!!).

Bitch it's bigger than hip-hop....I bet that none of those suckers could even tell the drums on a J Dilla beat were made on a fucking MPC-3000, that's how deep he was into music. Those who love and respect the music and are inspired by it and express their love through creating more music THROUGH THEIR OWN STYLE are real artists. He could play all the guitars in the motherfucking world simultaneously, but I am sure that at the end of the day, the people of this forum share more love and respect for the music that paved the way than that guy.

Anyone who listens to hip-hop for the love of it and from a producers point of view should be able to feel what I'm trying to say.

I myself practiced playing the clarinet (cca. 3-4 years), piano (5 years) and guitar (cca. 4-5 years).

God I can't stand such stuck-up people.

#49 Unknown Productions

Unknown Productions

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:50 AM

People hate on rap music all the time saying its not real music

They say making beats is easy and sampling isn't making music

Its annoying that they can be so ignorant tho

#50 DJ Dope-Needlz

DJ Dope-Needlz

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted Today, 03:25 AM

Had this problem with certain people to.

I had a girl at work who told me she played piano.

And than i told her i make music to.

Than i said i make Hip-Hop and than she was like "Hip-Hop, Whatever!"

#51 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted Today, 02:27 PM

I mean, I love hip-hop as much as the next guy, but...can anyone dispute that there are a lot of people exploiting the art form just trying to make a quick buck? In fact, that's 99% of what the hip-hop industry is. So you can understand the resentment of people who take the time to learn the history of music and put in the hours to be able to express themselves on their instrument and then most of the market share is being taken up by Bobby Shmurda, or Jaden Smith, or the latest 17-year old piece of shit one hit wonder.

Of course, this isn't anything new for the music industry, the only difference is scale.

#52 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted Today, 03:04 PM

It's definitely not a joke, jokes are arts in themselves, so don't be dissin' comedy yo. I get what you're saying, though.

It is mainstream. That's why you, white kid in Denver, know about it. Same thing that happens to everything. After Van Gogh died his doctor friend and his son started making paintings in his style. So before Van Gogh even became known to 10 people he was already "joke". I mean I remember watching Beat Street as a kid thinking "Is this supposed to be funny?" rhyming and getting into dance battles itself is somewhat silly I think.

I also think this is more or less a question revolving around globilzation. Lost tribes wearing pikachu shirts isn't the only effect, sometimes what was once underground and unknown gets swept into culture and laughed at.

Frankly Madlib isn't even that underground anymore, he's been championed by Kayne. Young Chop's been championed by Kanye.

A question I've been wondering is "In an internet age, if you're underground maybe that just means you suck" Run The Jewels did a show at MSG. The new underground is guys like Chris Crocker who sing really awful 3 chord country folk songs. Odd Future made being weird cool again or something. Zeitgest changed and now we're the shitty, dated, beatniks in 1967 who get laughed at by the flower children. FUCKING BASTARDS GO MAKE OUT ON A STACK OF GINSBERG

#53 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted Today, 03:10 PM

That's why it's important to set an example. Kids 2 years younger might shit on you, but if I show my kid brother "Runnin'" and explain how it was made in 95 and it takes separate pieces, first brazillian sample yaddayaddayadda then see his eyebrows raise because he's mentally prepared to listen for the weird string thing and then the clicks, then in 10 years, those kids who were shitting on you are gonna look like REAAAAAL DOOFUSES

"Is hip-hop a joke?"

#54 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted Today, 04:35 PM

It is mainstream. That's why you, white kid in Denver, know about it.

this is going in the sig box -- it really is a fucking great point haha.  i mean i've always thought of hip-hop as being a completely postmodern thing with no real cultural boundaries to speak of...but yeah, i understand at the end of the day i'm only a white kid from Denver that just so happens to be madly in love with the music.

that's the precise reason why i don't fall into a lot of the tropes most other white rappers do -- my songs aren't about gang violence or drug-dealing or shit that i have no direct experience with.  i'm not gonna pretend to be something else just to fit into the narrow perspective most people have of what a stereotypical rapper should be...but yeah, there's absolutely no denying that those ideas of what rappers should be exist and directly affect every audience's perception of what i do.

#55 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted Today, 05:24 PM

that's the precise reason why i don't fall into a lot of the tropes most other white rappers do

That's exactly what a white rapper would say!

The only reason 'rapping' exists is because of piss poor socio-economic reasons like gangs and drugs so you'll always be pegged as not "real" by some. And the idea of "appropriating another's culture that your culture has colonially oppressed for your own gratification" is downright appalling to some of the London-Goth-Lesbian-Feminists I know.

Frankly, I can't afford records, I have to go 50 miles round trip just to GO to the record store. PBW working at a Mcdonalds in the 80s with inflation could get records for cheaper and they were more accessible, and there were more stores and records out there. So digging itself has become somewhat of an esoteric, elitist class thing. I've resorted back to shitty guitars with broken amps trying to write songs, which I'll maintain is just as hip-hop as anything out there because of the ghetto conditions it stems from. In the same way blues stems from just a poor guy and his guitar.

"Dad I said well don't you know that things go in cycles" D'angelo's going back to the roots. The Roots started from the roots. Not a lot of black and white in art, 50 shades of grey, twilight. Vampires

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

1stN3rd