12 replies to this topic

#1 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

Thoughts? I liked the 45. got it on drip before i let my account lapse. gonna give the snippets a listen to tonight. i dig the art though.

further expansion of the ST sound into new directions. i'm curious  if we'll ever get another Anika lp on ST. or another boardwalk or another chrome canyon or even another stepkids... I'd really love jonti to return, have been listening to sine & moon lately. but silk rhodes is sounding pretty good from what i recall, that'll do for now

#2 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:03 PM

Chord progression is mad derivative. I feel like all these throwback groups are just taking the blueprint of older songs and dressing them up with some new production techniques/instrumentation and then selling it to the public as "innovation." I have no doubt that plenty of people are gonna like this though.

• GC90 likes this

#3 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:33 PM

I have no doubt that plenty of people are gonna like this though.

lmao what saps, am i right?

• SunnyMeadowz likes this

#4 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:43 AM

Chord progression is mad derivative. I feel like all these throwback groups are just taking the blueprint of older songs and dressing them up with some new production techniques/instrumentation and then selling it to the public as "innovation." I have no doubt that plenty of people are gonna like this though.

Obama-Facepalm1.jpg

• SwampThing likes this

#5 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:51 AM

Oh sorry, I guess I should just love everything that gets made...I mean someone made it, so it must be good right??

• shakey finch likes this

#6 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

nah g, but snobby condescension is unnecessary! anyway mark one down for "it's utter shit"

#7 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

Lay off the haterade breh

#8 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

nah g, but snobby condescension is unnecessary! anyway mark one down for "it's utter shit"

lol fair enough, but I'm just saying

Really similar chords, arrangements, and instrumentation.

#9 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:34 PM

man, what do you like?  you seem to just hate everything lol

#10 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:39 PM

man, what do you like?  you seem to just hate everything lol

I'm allergic to hipness in music, and Silk Rhodes seem like they're trying to very hip.

The stuff I like is always changing, but I listen to a lot of Madlib, Dilla, John Frusciante, Ornette Coleman – generally the sorts of artists whom you get the feeling would die if they couldn't express themselves through music. Also Zach Hill/Death Grips and The Mars Volta, although I kinda fell off listening to them.

• fungus likes this

#11 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:22 AM

I'm allergic to hipness in music, and Silk Rhodes seem like they're trying to very hip.

The stuff I like is always changing, but I listen to a lot of Madlib, Dilla, John Frusciante, Ornette Coleman – generally the sorts of artists whom you get the feeling would die if they couldn't express themselves through music. Also Zach Hill/Death Grips and The Mars Volta, although I kinda fell off listening to them.

gotcha.  but aren't all of those artists considered "hip" in their own respective circles?  to me, it seems like you just can't enjoy anything with even a slightly mainstream appeal...which is fine, but you come off as very snobbish and elitist about your musical tastes, like most people are dumb sheep that just don't get it, mannnnnnnnnnnnnnn...

haha.

but in all seriousness, i listen to a lot of the groups you mentioned, and lately i've been on a major LA post-punk tip -- but that doesn't mean i'm gonna bash anyone who says they like Goldfinger or classic Blink-182.  you shouldn't let the politics of who knows what band influence your decision on what makes "good" music; that's like something that high-school sophomore James used to do, and trust me, it's not a good look.

#12 ShirtReynolds

ShirtReynolds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Dirty knees. . .

Posted Today, 04:49 AM

Anyone know the story behind these guys?  Those guitars and strings (especially on Group 1987) really have that Truth+Soul vibe.  The track sounds like it could've fit right on that Lee Fields record.  Was curious to see if these guys had any relation.

#13 GOONIE

GOONIE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted Today, 11:38 AM

Oddly surprised this wasn't mentioned, but fun fact of the day...

I know that only a about 30 copies actually contain "1 drop" somewhere on the sheet.

Has anyone attempted to find the "dose" on the  Pains 7"?

This goes far beyond Willy Wonkas golden ticket search, and I hope I am 1 of the lucky people to find it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users