Photo

Do you like Flying Lotus's new album?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like Flying Lotus's new album You're Dead!? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

What is you're opinion about Flying Lotus - You're Dead!?

1. Love it (13 votes [81.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.25%

2. Hate it (1 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

3. I don't understand it (2 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 WaldoH

WaldoH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:17 PM

I just don't even know.

#2 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted Yesterday, 02:33 PM

i get it but i didnt get it right away, what helps me accept new music is taking months off from what im used to and getting into different stuff, those boiler rooms help and stalking comments for tracks! at this point in my life i cant stand the same ol same ol. but maybe it isnt for ur spirit but i wasnt a big fan of UTQC this youre dead album is amazing IMO but if i hadn't got heavy into prog rock, minimal wave, house,  and different shit over the years i probly wouldnt accept it as much

#3 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted Yesterday, 02:38 PM

there's polls on this forum?!?!?!

#4 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:49 PM

It's a good album, my least favorite album from him, and the first album of his where I've grown tired of the jazz influence in his music. If his musical output goes more in a jazz direction in the future, I'll be uninterested in it most likely.

#5 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:59 PM

Poll needs an 'indifferent' option... That's where I sit, my view is very similar to that of jurmainson. This topic is also covered in length in the fly lo thread. Think this is kind of a redundant thread if it's just for a poll...
  • GC90 and Jurmainson like this

#6 GC90

GC90

waxramble / Discogs / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted Yesterday, 07:13 PM

Still voted that I loved it, but it's more of a "like" it. 

#7 DavidisBaas

DavidisBaas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Fuck school. davidisbaas@hotmail.com
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/david-spierings

Posted Today, 04:58 AM

There's a new Flying Lotus album?

EDIT: After listening to it i feel like he was very high making some of these joints.

The album doesn't really feels like an album but it kinda feels like one trip to me. Nahmean.

#8 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted Today, 07:27 AM

There's a new Flying Lotus album?

EDIT: After listening to it i feel like he was very high making some of these joints.

The album doesn't really feels like an album but it kinda feels like one trip to me. Nahmean.

Exactly, a trip into the afterlife ,or lack thereof, through his own individual, musical interpretation.  Not gonna vote but I enjoy it.  It's my favorite FlyLo release or a close second to Cosmogramma.

• James Frank. and DavidisBaas like this

#9 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted Today, 07:34 AM

i think he nailed it -- there isn't one bad track on here.

and that middle section of tracks, from "Turkey Dog Coma" all the way to "Ready Err Not"....man!

this album really speaks to me, and those who don't get it probably are not going into it with the recommended mindset.

the piece is called You're Dead!

the whole idea is that you're supposed to analyze what your own feelings of death are, or at the very least pretend like you're dead throughout the course of the album and let FL take you on that journey.  that's what i've been doing every time i listen to it, and it moves me every damn time.

• DavidisBaas likes this

#10 DavidisBaas

DavidisBaas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Fuck school. davidisbaas@hotmail.com
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/david-spierings

Posted Today, 07:42 AM

the whole idea is that you're supposed to analyze what your own feelings of death are, or at the very least pretend like you're dead throughout the course of the album and let FL take you on that journey. 

That's a little to much for me man, i can't listen to an album while playing dead or something. 

• James Frank. likes this

#11 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted Today, 07:53 AM

I get into the same mindset for every album:

"How high can I get?" --> "I like this album a lot, and even more now that I'm sloppy high."

For me, I think most of the tracks are damn good, but it needs to be listened to as an entire piece for the "full effect" to hit you.  If you don't already like free jazz and prog, you're not going to like this album.  I don't think FlyLo did anything innovative, game-changing, or new, it literally just sounds like a modern jazz album.  Many of the tracks sound like they could be on a record from the 60s or 70s if you take away a lot of the computer effects.  There's great jazz drumming, nice keys being played, some raw guitar parts, and fat electric bass all over this joint.  It's definitely FlyLo's most ambitious and creative realease.  But I would say most of the tracks aren't commercial friendly and they lack that "neck-breaking" rhythm that many people love from FlyLo.  It's more abstract, and I think the people that don't like it, probably don't listen to ish like Sun Ra, Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders or much old abstract prog like Soft Machine and shit.

#12 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted Today, 08:05 AM

"How high can I get?" --> "I like this album a lot, and even more now that I'm sloppy high."

This is how all records should be listened to.

#13 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted Today, 08:11 AM

This is how all records should be listened to.

Exactly.  Most music I buy is vinyl and I have no idea who it is or what it's going to sound like.  I go in with an open mind and I either enjoy it, or don't enjoy it.  Same thing when an artist I know releases something.  I listen with an open mind, and I like it, or I don't.  Just because it's Flying Lotus, or Madlib, or whoever else, doesn't mean I have a certain expectation of what they want their music to sound like.  We get what we get, we enjoy what we enjoy, if you don't enjoy it, then move along or make something yourself so we can shit on it.

#14 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted Today, 10:09 AM

For me, I think most of the tracks are damn good, but it needs to be listened to as an entire piece for the "full effect" to hit you.  If you don't already like free jazz and prog, you're not going to like this album.  I don't think FlyLo did anything innovative, game-changing, or new, it literally just sounds like a modern jazz album.  Many of the tracks sound like they could be on a record from the 60s or 70s if you take away a lot of the computer effects.  There's great jazz drumming, nice keys being played, some raw guitar parts, and fat electric bass all over this joint.  It's definitely FlyLo's most ambitious and creative realease.  But I would say most of the tracks aren't commercial friendly and they lack that "neck-breaking" rhythm that many people love from FlyLo.  It's more abstract, and I think the people that don't like it, probably don't listen to ish like Sun Ra, Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders or much old abstract prog like Soft Machine and shit.

Exactly.  Most music I buy is vinyl and I have no idea who it is or what it's going to sound like.  I go in with an open mind and I either enjoy it, or don't enjoy it.  Same thing when an artist I know releases something.  I listen with an open mind, and I like it, or I don't.  Just because it's Flying Lotus, or Madlib, or whoever else, doesn't mean I have a certain expectation of what they want their music to sound like.  We get what we get, we enjoy what we enjoy, if you don't enjoy it, then move along or make something yourself so we can shit on it.

shout-outs to orchid for articulating his thoughts on this album way better than i did on the YD! thread...

#15 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted Today, 10:13 AM

shout-outs to orchid for articulating his thoughts on this album way better than i did on the YD! thread...

I was thinking about you the whole time as I wrote it <3

• James Frank. likes this

#16 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted Today, 02:10 PM

maaaaaaan. none of the above. there's a BIG space in between love and hate. and i do understand the album.

#17 WaldoH

WaldoH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted Today, 04:34 PM

Maybe that is my problem, I wasn't feeling Cosmogramma until I was so high that I was laying on my floor tripping out, it was somewhere around track 10, and I put the album on repeat when it was over and loved it every since. But I don't smoke weed anymore... I think I need to be high to enjoy this album, some of these tracks sound like garbage to my ears... but I know I just don't get it :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users