• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

hey there.

so i know all you tech wizards out there in the internet world could help me out...i have a question.

i've been working on compositions for films ever since i became a film school student officially around this time two years ago.  i've gone through many phases of development since i started making music about four years ago, and a lot of my techniques have changed over the years.

however, now that i'm starting to really get serious with filmmaking, i've been running into a bevy of new issues involving things such as sound design and scoring.  i basically know what i want to do musically with each piece, and typically my style tends to be more minimalist electronic than anything else in the film world...but there are certain things i haven't been able to figure out quite yet.

namely, age.  i have a hard time aging a piece of music i created on my laptop, and making it sound as if it were possibly recorded through analog means way back in like the '70s or something.  i'm sure you're all aware of the diff's in sound quality throughout the years of film/television -- everything nowadays is much crisper due to way better technology, but if for example i was creating a mockumentary based off of a mix of the Jacques Costeau nature films from 40 years ago and the government-sponsored propoganda films/PSA's from 60 years ago, idk how i would exactly want to filter and EQ the mix to make it sound like it came from that era.

a good example of this type of nostalgic sound design is the [as] show Look Around You, which is basically the direct influence for what i wanna do...just really dry humor that essentially takes a banal subject like water and narrates all the facts about it completely wrong, like saying the world's supply of freshwater comes annually out the cock of Liam Neeson or something haha, but just filming it in an astute, serious tone.  but the whole premise of that show was that it was made to look like a boring educational film from the '70s that you'd watch in like science class or something, and their sound design is expertly coordinated to make it really sound like it's from that time.

so tl;dr how do you make an audio mix sound as if it is much older than it really is?  (and please no simplistic "vinyl simulator" bullshit, that's not exactly what i'm asking -- it's more along the lines of making something sound like it came from like a reel-to-reel tape or something.)

#2 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

Satin from u-he comes up a lot. Also use some distortion from psp's vintage warmer compressor. They're both met with ecstatic reviews. (I don't have any experience with satin, and very little with vw, because I'm on reason)

#3 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:30 PM

Satin from u-he comes up a lot. Also use some distortion from psp's vintage warmer compressor. They're both met with ecstatic reviews. (I don't have any experience with satin, and very little with vw, because I'm on reason)

those are all plugins, right?

how much do they run?  i figure it's probably about time i actually started paying for my VST's haha, four years is long enough.

#4 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

Ahem* I'm not really *ahem* I'm not a hundred percent positive how much they are.

Never used satin, and I uhhh used vw at a friends house.

#5 Penpal

Penpal

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

You could try running it through some old equipment the easiest being a tape recorder. Recording it to VHS and then back to your computer may give you the sound you're looking for.

#6 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

There you go!  i didn't even consider that.  I do that all the time, with a bummy old radio shack cassette recorder.  I'll put 808s and shit through there way too loud so they distort and shit. 

#7 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:26 AM

i was thinking about doing that, but do you really think it would alter the sound enough?  i'd think that it would have to age on a VHS tape for years before it really started getting that ambiance...

#8 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

Satin is amazing, it's just been updated as well, I don't know how they did it but its authentic and isn't a distortion fx like every other tape sim, and has been my go to plug in since it came out. The other way is find a studio that has the equipment that produces the tones and sound you want, we're talking analog and valve, SSL consoles bizzle like that, an understanding of how tape works can help, pushing the sounds through the roof etc. Its like the "how do I get my drums to sound like".....use the same equipment that was used, we can not mimic it with software, want that vintage sound go get something vintage, you want it sounding like tape, record it to tape, You could scout ebay as well, some nice little reel to reels are on there, but then there's the maintenance and calibrating it, it's about har far you want to go though basically.

#9 Penpal

Penpal

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:58 PM

i was thinking about doing that, but do you really think it would alter the sound enough?  i'd think that it would have to age on a VHS tape for years before it really started getting that ambiance...

This would make for an interesting investigation.

#10 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

keep in mind that, once again, guys and gals, i'm not talking about music production per sé; i'm talking about an entire soundtrack for a film, meaning that the effect needs to be apparent from the dialogue to the sfx to the (minimal) score and incidental music that'll be on it...so now that i think about it, would make recording onto a VHS tape next to impossible...unless i like kept the lens cap on my old Hi-8 camcorder and recorded audio directly onto that mic, but then in that case the audio would probably be too shitty haha.

there's gotta be a balance somewhere!!!!!!!

#11 Penpal

Penpal

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:44 AM

The idea was to record the audio right from the project file from the computer/audio interface onto a vhs through RCA cables and then back to the computer. You could do this with a vhs camcorder or a regular vhs player/recorder. Although time consuming you could run all the seperate audio channels (music, sounds dialog etc) through this system and then back to the computer to be mixed down. ODK had a good suggestiong with satin if you want to keep everything in the box and save some time and hassle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users