65 replies to this topic

#61 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted Today, 02:56 PM

This is the other issue, the militarization of the police force. 

And those fuckers are dumb.

10606334_912058625488428_753494332944154

@ Orchid, sounds like you are defending the actions taken, but with this I feel you are incorrect. (See pic)

#62 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted Today, 03:16 PM

This is the other issue, the militarization of the police force. 

And those fuckers are dumb.

10606334_912058625488428_753494332944154

@ Orchid, sounds like you are defending the actions taken, but with this I feel you are incorrect. (See pic)

I am not defending or justifying any kills or actions because I don't know aht happened, I have said that multiple times.  I am saying that I'm not after a cop's head when I don't know what happened and wait for it... the cop might not even be a racist.  There are probably people in Ferguson that want no part of the riots and are probably terrified for their lives and their children's lives the last few weeks.  I bet they're glad that the police have been there with their unnecessary and toys, that I also agree they do not need and should not have.  My first post in this thread was something along the lines of:

They should NOT have all that ridiculously over-priced and over-specialized gear and they should spend that money on POV cameras for the police force to better track cops' actions.  It would help both police and the people.  The truth can't be twisted much when it's on camera.

#63 miss stress

miss stress

Cool Table shareholder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted Today, 03:18 PM

^ this stance occurs when someone feels that they are being unfairly lumped in with racists whose views they don't share. I get where you're coming from, because what you're saying deep down is that "why can't we all just get along and not worry about races", but unfortunately, racism does exist and is institutionalized particularly within the law enforcement communities of high crime and/or heavily minority neighborhoods. The anger is not just about this incident, it's about a pattern of disproportionately severe and aggressive police (and pseudo-police ie. Zimmerman) focus on minorities. You want to see some fucked up statistics look at incarceration stats.

You see black protesters and feel as though they're pointing a finger at you, but they aren't. It's not race war stuff, it's just the demand for equal treatment as humans. As has been said before in this thread, there are MANY white neighborhoods that this stuff would never occur in, and if protesters showed up it wouldn't suddenly become a paramilitary affair.

It's not about black vs. white, it's about racists being allowed a bizarre freedom from consequences, and the institutions that seem to help cover their asses rather than disowning them when appropriate.

Thank you.

I just can't with this post.

Mangos posted a video of a dude being shot to death at least 4 times and people still don't get it or understand.

Let's not forget me downplaying and being apart of the problem because I stated we have been dealing with this for years.

If you don't get it now, you'll never get it
  • SwampThing likes this

#64 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted Today, 03:31 PM

I literally think I don't understand any of this treatment because of three things:

1. Never seen it first hand

2. I'm white

3. I live in Oregon

I'm sorry if I've said some ignorant things throughout this thread, I just don't understand what African-Americans are still going through. Can any African-Americans on here give me any first hand experiences they've had?   Wtf is still going on outside my little bubble?

#65 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted Today, 03:46 PM

it sounds like we should all be so lucky to live in Portland, huh? heh.

Not to sound rude or condescending but I'd try reading some literature or keeping abreast of news on a national level. I assume you followed the Trayvon Martin murder and the national discussion that brought up? Maybe I take for granted living in NY and the amount of press coverage these things tend to get here...

Or hell, watch some movies, or... or... I dunno, the Boondocks I always thought had some very elegant and digestible things to say about the modern black experience. 

I'd just hate to think that:

If you don't get it now, you'll never get it

#66 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted Today, 04:54 PM

I have not, and that's a good point.  I can also never understand how it feels to be oppressed and treated so poorly.  Is this a balance of power issue?  Like I said in a previous post, we do have an African-American president that we voted as a country into office.  

Do you think that if we stopped giving positions of power to the most qualified (we probably don't now, that's just what we hope for and say) and just gave them to the most qualified African-Americans that would fix everything?  I'm just not sure where you're coming from with this.  There are reports that Michael Ferguson literally was beating the cop, (Idk what happened, and we never will, I'm just saying) and I know for sure that beating a cop, of any race, in any country, is  not going to end well.

All of the cases that we actually hear about are with black victims because the African-American community is sensationalizing and rioting because of these cases and we never hear about it when the shoe is on the other foot.  Two days after Michael Ferguson's death, an African-American police officer in Salt Lake City, shot and killed an unarmed 20 year old white man.  Did the people in Utah riot? Did we even hear about it on national news or even online?

It's more of an inbalance of power issue. It's something that groups of people experience everyday and tensions build until you have a situation like what we have today (Its common in other parts of US/world history too). People just get fed up, man. Theres a growing mistrust in corporations/government by Americans today because of misconduct and abuse of power. Blacks arent the only ones to notice abuse. http://economyincris...ernment-growing

I'd question what do more qualified people look like and if there are any sort of bias when making that decison. http://jobbankusa.co...ing100803a.html

What does the official police report say against Micheal Brown explaining what caused the altercation (if there was one)? How long did it take to get that police report out?

Yes, we do have a black president today and he does stand as a symbol for many showing progress...BUT its impossible for one black man's election into office to erradicate racism in its entirety. I'd also be curious to see who was the majority of Obama's voters... More on that here: http://www.ropercent...d/voted_12.html

I dont suggest that any one group have more power than the other for status quo reasons, but I hope we as citizens diversify our offices, schools, thinking and police forces in the name of equality. Different view points/cultural experiences = a more complex and well rounded understanding of the real world around us.

We might not hear about issues like this "if the shoe was on the foot" because of what I mentioned earlier... (Remember the thing about white people and their history of oppression?) Could you provide a link that shows the case of the unarmed white man who was unjustly killed? Here is a youtube video on why white people dont actually riot or protest in times of their oppression...

I'd recommend doing some reading on the industrial prison complex to have a better understanding of "fairness" in todays justice system.

http://billmoyers.co...ceration-rates/

http://www.globalres...n-state/5329328

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users