48 replies to this topic

#31 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:51 PM

Shut the fuck up the penalty for shoplifting is not being shot in the face in the street without trial.
  • Chason likes this

#32 miss stress

miss stress

Cool Table shareholder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted Today, 08:47 AM

If you're trivializing what's happening in Ferguson today by suggesting that because our nation's history is replete with both isolated and institutional cases of overt racism and excessive force against the Black race that this should be but a mere blip on our consciousness, you Miss Stress are a part of the problem that has allowed for this menace

I'm not even about to get into this with you. It's not even worth me bubbling up a response to you.

I want to go in but then that would be "typical" of a black women so instead I will take the high road.

peace

#33 Jackie Kennedy

Jackie Kennedy

Rookie

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Being a wife and mother.

Posted Today, 10:02 AM

Shut the fuck up the penalty for shoplifting is not being shot in the face in the street without trial.

the cop didn't know he had shoplifted. he shot him for wrestling for his gun, which started from him not stopping when asked to do so.

#34 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted Today, 10:10 AM

What was the the cop stopping him for? Was it unrelated to the robbery? Your post seemed like a list of justifications for the use of lethal force in a situation where it should not have been necessary.

#35 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted Today, 10:13 AM

Jackie might be trolling, but I agree with one thing – I don't think the officer will be charged.  That's my cynical prediction:  No charge based on witness reports and autopsy.

But the issue here has nothing to do with a robbery, and little to do with any struggle that occurred.  The kid wouldn't have been stopped in a white neighborhood, the officer wouldn't unload his gun in a white neighborhood, and the police wouldn't have rolled out with tanks a few hours later in a white neighborhood.

#36 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted Today, 10:26 AM

the cop didn't know he had shoplifted. he shot him for wrestling for his gun, which started from him not stopping when asked to do so.

And 1) he had no gun, but a pocket knife, that was seen. 2) they shot him twelve times. A little excessive no? couldn't they have just shot him in the leg. Once?

Here is another cop killing some kid with a knife. They could have tazed him, or, shot him once, but 12 times again, seemed to be about right. The kid weighed a buck fifty, was contained in a streetcar, was zero threat to anyone.

The police force is full of dumb ass, douchebags, who watch too many shoot em up movies and video games, drink way too much red bull and are just plain and simple, unthoughtful. They kill far too easily.

#37 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted Today, 10:32 AM

I haven't really been paying attention to this becasue I'm white and I live in Oregon where racism is far less prevelant.  Our cops downtown ride bicycles and horses most of the time and never go out of their way to start something.

But what I'm hearing is:

1. Unarmed kid robs store

2. Some witness accounts, including the cop, said there was a physical confrontation and possibly a scuffle for his gun when police rolled up on said kid

3. Kid was shot dead

Other witness account say he did not confront or become physical with the cop whatsoever, even though the cop went to the hospital and treated for a minor face injury (probably due to something or someone hitting his face).

In a court of law, you're not going to get anywhere with complete opposite witness accounts.

12 shots? Complete overkill, not sure why cops don't reach for pepper spray or tasers first.  But in this instance, does it sound like this kid is some angel that just got beat up and murdered by the big bad cops?  Hell no.

Now I know I can't speak from an educated position on racism against blacks, because the only racism I've ever been a part of is black people making fun of me for my reflective white skin (which I laugh off, because usually their "insults" are hilarious), but is this really a racist issue?  Really?  If this kid was some white-trash, meth-head in Oregon, and the officer was any color, it wouldn't make the news in any capacity.

#38 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted Today, 10:36 AM

I'm pretty surprised by some of the posts in this thread 

#39 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted Today, 10:40 AM

I live in Oregon where racism is far less prevelant. 

+1

i live in norcal and i've never seen or heard of anything HALF this fucked up going on.  the most racist shit that ever happened to me was mexican kids calling my friend "guero". 

i can't speak for socal but from what i've gathered the west coast is a MUCH more diverse and laid back area than the rest of the country.

i can't believe that a kid could die from the police.  seriously gets me emotional whenever i think about it too long.  they're supposed to PROTECT us

#40 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted Today, 10:47 AM

+1

i live in norcal and i've never seen or heard of anything HALF this fucked up going on.  the most racist shit that ever happened to me was mexican kids calling my friend "guero". 

i can't speak for socal but from what i've gathered the west coast is a MUCH more diverse and laid back area than the rest of the country.

i can't believe that a kid could die from the police.  seriously gets me emotional whenever i think about it too long.  they're supposed to PROTECT us

What part of NorCal? I feel like shit happens in the Bay Area all the time. Oscar Grant was a HUGE deal. 

And where I'm from from, in NC, it was predominantly black in a lot of areas, and you still had ridiculous amounts of racism. Like, that shit is hardwired into a lot of white folks brains to where they don't even think about what they're saying/doing when they're being bigots. It's insane. My own grandma still said "colored boys" until her dying day. Then you have micro-aggression in "bigger" cities, where people appear to be more inclusive, but still do shit like refer to black crowds when they want to talk about thugs or criminals, but then pull the "And I'm NOT RACIST, cuz I have several good black friendz..." Just blows my mind when people like to talk like the era of racism is over.

#41 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted Today, 10:54 AM

Oscar Grant was a HUGE deal.

I conveniently forgot about that shit.

I grew up in san jose, then migrated to gilroy as a teenager. 

I never saw or heard any examples of racism as a kid.  Even hearing about it in school made me be like "damn, what??? really?".

Granted, i grew up in suburbs and never in any hardcore city street areas but still, most of my friends were mixed race, all over the place.  I dunno maybe it's just south bay? maybe i'm living in a fantasy world

#42 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted Today, 11:02 AM

I conveniently forgot about that shit.

I grew up in san jose, then migrated to gilroy as a teenager. 

I never saw or heard any examples of racism as a kid.  Even hearing about it in school made me be like "damn, what??? really?".

Granted, i grew up in suburbs and never in any hardcore city street areas but still, most of my friends were mixed race, all over the place.  I dunno maybe it's just south bay? maybe i'm living in a fantasy world

Nah, it's definitely less prevalent and noticeable out here. Being in the Bay, especially SF, kind of puts the world in a bubble. I always forget how gnarly shit can be until I go home to visit.

#43 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted Today, 11:17 AM

If this kid was some white-trash, meth-head in Oregon, and the officer was any color, it wouldn't make the news in any capacity.

That's true bruh, dank shit happens to poor people of all types, but the fact is there are a disproportionate amount of poor black people, who endure a disproportionate amount of negative encounters with law enforcement. And a lot of white people are racist, and maybe the most fucked up thing is that it isn't deep rooted ideological racism, it's casual, ignorant racism , but you mix that with guns and badges of authority and this is what happens, inevitably.
  • ynqhead and Chason like this

#44 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted Today, 11:59 AM

Living just outside of NYC like i do will give you some perspective on this kind of thing, but I am sure things are very different in Missouri. Just recently the NYPD killed an unarmed man named Eric Garner with a chokehold as he was pleading that he could not breath. There is a heavy racial undertone to this, of course, but to me the NYPD are often just extra-nervous and overly willing to "shoot" first and ask questions later no matter the situation. Police in high crime areas seem to be adopting attitudes more and more disconnected from the human experience, and closer and closer to immediately assuming guilt and utilizing the strongest force they can. Rather than diffusing, talking, they break out their weapons. 

In Missouri though, and in that neighborhood especially, the racial component cannot be ignored. I agree that it's notable that this would not have occurred the way it did in many, many, many white neighborhoods across the country. THAT, along with police tactics in general, is the larger issue. Protests wouldn't have become riots with a proper and respectful response from the police. There will be a protest on staten island this weekend regarding Eric Garner. We'll see what happens, but I doubt there will be any rubber bullets, unlike Missouri.

I read recently that Iceland just had its first recorded instance of a police officer killing a civilian (he was apparently a mentally ill man wielding a weapon), and the entire country is left reeling. There is, comparatively to most countries, hardly any violent crime in Iceland. Why is that? Well, they have I think the 15th highest amount of guns in the world, so its not that old chestnut. Most icelanders credit the lack of violence to the fact that a staggering 97% of Iceland identifies as middle- or working-class, with <2% identifying as either lower or upper class. This insane economic equality seems to keep tensions to a minimum. When you look at the inequality in towns like Ferguson all across the country, the contrast is alarming.

Miss Stress isn't diminishing the importance of this incident, only pointing out that it's an unsurprising point on a well-established timeline.

• Berry Woods likes this

#45 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted Today, 12:21 PM

The Death of Eric Garner was also horrific, the contrast with Iceland is interesting, and that's exactly how I read Miss stress's post: this again, this shit has been going on.
  • SwampThing likes this

#46 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted Today, 12:56 PM

And a lot of white people are racist

There are lots of racist white people, racist black people, racist Asian people, and so on.  So many people (in this case it's mainly African-American people) sensationalize these events and try to guilt you into believing that the white cop shot a kid just because he was black.  Or "he won't get charged because he's white and he killed a black and no one cares", ETC.  

If we don't consider oursleves racist, why are we singling out a white officer killing a black person when WAY worse shit is going on all over the world?  

I feel for Michael Ferguson, his family, and all people that are still being hurt in any way by ignorant, racist fucks.  I just have a hard time believing every time an event occurs in which a white harms a black in any way (this time it may have been just an unfortunate and poor decision by Michael that resulted in poor policing, big surprise the police are idiots) that it's "whitey holding us down, whites are racist", blah blah blah.  Our president is African-American for fuck sake.  There may be "a lot of racist white people" but most of us aren't and these events need to stop dividing us.  Since we know the police aren't going to get any better, can we stop singling out Race A vs Race B vs Race C when this ish happens?

Also, if it's so disproportionate, show me the stats.  Isn't black on black crime by far the most common?  Why is that not sensationalized by the African-American community?  I'm not trying to be condesending or rude, I'm literally curious about the stats and just trying to keep this thread rollin along and hopefully we all learn a little bit (or a lot) from this.

#47 Noodle Fingers

Noodle Fingers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/noodlefingers/gringo-lingo-feat-bernard-willis-blake/s-x541D

Posted Today, 01:12 PM

In that video where the guy stole two sodas, you should count how many times someone says "HE DEEEEAD BRUH!" But seriously, that shit isn't cool. Is it a police meme to go kill black men now? Is it some kind of game? This has to stop. But me typing on a computer can't do anything, which is the bitter reality of the situation. We can't do anything to combat this. We have to sit here and watch as black people get killed like it's no big deal, and listen to every person in the background of a controversial video say "World Star" or some shit.

By the way, I have honestly never heard of anything like this in Canada, although it most definitely has happened before. 30 year old white Americans from the south have something wrong with them. There's no such thing as African-American as far as I'm concerned, because black people are constantly treated as a lesser.

And Orchid, the thing is, a black man shoots a black man, he goes to jail, or gets into trouble later somehow. A black man shoots a white man, and he's boned. He goes to jail for at least a long ass time, possibly forever. A white man shoots a black man? 9 times out of 10, he's acquitted.

#48 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted Today, 01:18 PM

can we stop singling out Race A vs Race B vs Race C when this ish happens?

^ this stance occurs when someone feels that they are being unfairly lumped in with racists whose views they don't share. I get where you're coming from, because what you're saying deep down is that "why can't we all just get along and not worry about races", but unfortunately, racism does exist and is institutionalized particularly within the law enforcement communities of high crime and/or heavily minority neighborhoods. The anger is not just about this incident, it's about a pattern of disproportionately severe and aggressive police (and pseudo-police ie. Zimmerman) focus on minorities. You want to see some fucked up statistics look at incarceration stats.

You see black protesters and feel as though they're pointing a finger at you, but they aren't. It's not race war stuff, it's just the demand for equal treatment as humans. As has been said before in this thread, there are MANY white neighborhoods that this stuff would never occur in, and if protesters showed up it wouldn't suddenly become a paramilitary affair.

It's not about black vs. white, it's about racists being allowed a bizarre freedom from consequences, and the institutions that seem to help cover their asses rather than disowning them when appropriate.

• Berry Woods likes this

#49 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted Today, 01:31 PM

And Orchid, the thing is, a black man shoots a black man, he goes to jail, or gets into trouble later somehow. A black man shoots a white man, and he's boned. He goes to jail for at least a long ass time, possibly forever. A white man shoots a black man? 9 times out of 10, he's acquitted.

Prove it.  Don't just say it, you're generalizing, and that is technically racist against whites.  Not all 30 year olds from the south are messed up either.  Just like one racist white can give all whites a bad name, an ignorant person of another race saying all whites are racist especially in the south, gives their race a bad name.  

In no way am I giving racism a pass, but Swamp, fingers do get pointed at me for shit like this when I voice my opinion.  And guess who's pointing the fingers and calling me a racist?  As a white person, how do I respond?  

I whole-heartedly feel bad for what whites have done and are still doing, but I have no part of it and it hurts me a great deal internally when I'm lumped into that racist category when all I want to do is look at the facts of each  individual case and form my own opinion regardless of what degree of melanin the victim or the officer is.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

6 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Noodle Fingers, SwampThing, ynqhead, Berry Woods, SunnyMeadowz, Chason