• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:36 PM

THERE WAS NO FATHER TO HIS STYLE

10.-When-this-guy-was-not-the-father..gi

• SunnyMeadowz likes this

#32 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:58 PM

return to the 36 is a straight up masterpiece obviously. He was probably already doing a lot of blow at the time too. nigga please has a few solid joints, but you can already start to hear him losing his shit. after that second album it's few and far between that aren't bad bad. I am and have always been convinced that ODB, if he had lived, would have gone through a renaissance after finally kicking that habit. dude was probably the most creative of all the wu back then. THERE WAS NO FATHER TO HIS STYLE

A few things, again, his prescribed meds may have fucked him up mentally. There is a scene when he is trying to write a rap, after just coming out of jail, in some doc I just watched. He sucked balls. Like RiFF RAFF bad.

Anyhow, that, and the synergy of no RZA was something, also, that period, late 90s, early 2000s the music was really bad in general.

It is interesting tho to see him, FUCKKED up, and rapping so brilliantly, then being sober as per law, and not be able to do shit.

#33 DavidisBaas

DavidisBaas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Fuck school. davidisbaas@hotmail.com
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/david-spierings

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:21 AM

GZA also wrote a lot of shit for Return to the 36. 

#34 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:41 AM

GZA also wrote a lot of shit for Return to the 36. 

a lot? i've never heard that

Yeah i remember that stuff with ODB getting out of jail and being unable to write a good rhyme. But he was really on that Richard Pryor level of freebasing blow and crack, and he was manic-depressive to boot. No win situation

#35 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

All I'm saying is when psychotics are prescribed pharmaceuticals, they become vegetables. ODB didn't deserve to be no vegetable. Same as Robin.

If both those dudes were allowed to sniff as much cocaine and whatever, as they wanted, both would be around and probably happy today. That's all I saying.

#36 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

no i am agreeing that the anti-psychotics made ODB lethargic. I read one of the ODB biography books a few years ago and they make it pretty explicitly clear that the medications fucked with his creativity, made him all spacy and slowed/stopped his creative output.

don't think i can agree that if they were allowed to sniff as much coke and smoke as much crack as they wanted they would be running around today though. it was the big bag of coke in his stomach that killed the man. ODB was manic-depressive, one of the things they talk about in the bio is that tradeoff of paranoid delusion vs. creative output. Like, ODB wasn't making great music and wasn't as fun to be around and was getting harder and harder to understand as he steadily progressed into a total basehead after the first album, and he always really wanted to get clean. plus he was legitimately mentally ill. So it's like do you want to be lethargic and unable to create but not wildly swing from depression to mania, or do you want to be totally unhinged (with like 7 kids you're responsible for), getting arrested for crazy shit but being creative? my point is that the (illegal) drugs were putting him on a creative decline too, so it was a lose-lose. I smoke weed every day, but i don't freebase! serious blow problems will make it impossible for you to live a normal, creatively functional life, look at pryor! if left to his own devices ODB would have become Dirt McGirt aka Big Baby Jesus and probably released another album of barely coherent warbling raps. but he'd probably still be dead without kicking the drugs

#37 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

I'm just saying, maybe coke is a bad example, but certainly if they were slowed weed, and the occasional ecstacy pill or shrooms, we might have them here.

#38 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

lmao sure... in a perfect world nobody would have addictive personalities, and we ALL would only smoke weed with an occasional ecstasy pill i guess

#39 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:56 PM

No it's true, I belive the military or at least major psychological bodies are looking at ecstacy for treating PTSD.

#40 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:05 AM

Half the time with the legal drugs, they are taken to stop the feeling, neck hurts, need anti inflammation tablets, headache, need paracetamol, get the shits, or an infection Amoxicillian or anti shit tablets. The problem with it all is, what we rely on, to fix ourselves, or stop the feeling, it's ridiculous we never look at what we do to ourselves and sort it out, or the cause, or it gets to late and "Quick fill him up with pills". Take neck ache, it will either be a muscle problem, or stress or tension, do we look at what is causing it and deal with or find the nearest coping mechanism to think we have dealt with it. For every natural problem there is a natural antidote.

You have a major row with someone, some go for a walk, some may play on a console, some may skin up inhale, and think Ah man I feel at peace, wish I hadn't said that etc, some might go to the pub get blackout drunk and look for a fight. 

Not one of these solutions actually works, it's just a coping mechanism, and the problem has been put in a box to pop open later in life. And unfortunately all creative people end up in a fix, the world isn't designed for the right brain, or imagination, it's seen as mental Illness, because it's completely misunderstood. So what happens when none of these box's are dealt with, and they all open at the same time as you can't hold anymore in, pop!! you lose it and become a nightmare to everyone, or end up with physical problems due to the emotion not being dealt with, and being stored in that area of the body. All you just need is help, in the right manner. But then look what happens 90% of the time when someone asks for support or help, the reaction is usually fucking disgusting, with a whole lot of judgement, and people back off or walk away, usually from lack of knowledge about the situation.

Now what I notice and it really pisses me off, is the usual pattern,

So and so has died, don't know how

couple of days later, drugs, mental health issues

the character is run into the ground

And our Iconic heroes are now broken down into lunatics with issues in the public eye. 

Amy Winehouse

Michael Jackson

Jimi Hendrix

Janis Joplin

Brian Jones

Heath Ledger

Keith Moon

Pimp C

Elvis

Marilyn Monroe

Michael Hutchence

The list is never ending, but everyone has the same story, pattern and public execution of character. And look how we feed into that ourselves. I've had to seriously look at my weed habits, everyday is ridiculous, it means there is a problem you will not face, when you deal with it, the coping mechanism is not needed. And I really fucking need a smoke, then turns into, I quite fancy a splif now, Instead of getting hooked because you can't sleep the nights you don't have it. Everyday is not moderation, it's a future box waiting to go pop.

#41 DavidisBaas

DavidisBaas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Fuck school. davidisbaas@hotmail.com
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/david-spierings

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:03 AM

a lot? i've never heard that

http://www.hiphopdx....the-36-chambers

#42 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:30 AM

Damn! 

#43 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:47 AM

Not one of these solutions actually works, it's just a coping mechanism, and the problem has been put in a box to pop open later in life. And unfortunately all creative people end up in a fix, the world isn't designed for the right brain, or imagination, it's seen as mental Illness, because it's completely misunderstood. So what happens when none of these box's are dealt with, and they all open at the same time as you can't hold anymore in, pop!! you lose it and become a nightmare to everyone, or end up with physical problems due to the emotion not being dealt with, and being stored in that area of the body. All you just need is help, in the right manner. But then look what happens 90% of the time when someone asks for support or help, the reaction is usually fucking disgusting, with a whole lot of judgement, and people back off or walk away, usually from lack of knowledge about the situation.

you bring up some good points, ODK...but you also haven't really mentioned the fact that some of these mental illnesses, especially when left untreated for so long, can lead to these people becoming dangerously detached from reality.  i ride public transportation basically every weekday to go to work/school, and every few days i find myself sitting in the vicinity of people who are absolutely bat-shit crazy.  it's sad to see, but it's also fascinating to me where the mind goes as it deteriorates -- just this Monday, i heard a guy conversing to himself out loud (and kinda directing it to others on the bus, but not really) about how he won't ever go back to Wendy's again because Jessie James and Tony Perkins poisoned him when he used to work there as a teenager...

now, besides that, the guy's body language was very confrontational, and everybody around him knew that he could become a problem at any moment...so what's the protocol for situations like that?  of course in an ideal world we would be caring and compassionate towards everyone, especially those who are disadvantaged...

but the reality of it is that some of these patients suffering from mental illness are not safe to be around whatsoever, and at that point i really don't know what the right answer is.  i hate to say "lock 'em up" and just briskly wipe my hands of the situation, but i mean what is the alternative?  some of these people are so far from recovery that it would take years of institutionalization to get them even remotely back on their feet again.

especially here in the states, mental health is looked at through the prism of the judicial system, and usually it isn't even discussed until after the fact that some crime or disturbance has been committed.  my neighbor's schizophrenic daughter is clearly suffering from her illness -- but the thing that really makes it unsettling is the brazen lack of self-awareness that she has about it...i mean, it's one thing to be on the bus yelling silly things, but it's a whole other thing when you're banging on my front door at 9pm on a Tuesday to use my mom's phone because the mafia is after you and you're brandishing a machete everywhere you go.

at some point, i feel like public safety outweighs the needs of the person -- especially if they're behaving as oddly and dangerously as that on a regular basis.  but idk what the solution to that is, because i know if i were slightly more crazy i'd probably be prescribed a bunch of meds and all sorts of other shit that i didn't feel like i needed...

whoa, talk about dove-tailing the topic lol.

#44 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,141 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:35 PM

One of the big problems we have here in the US is our anti-govt attitude about everything. This is one of the main reasons so many of those people you mentioned James are on the street, because 30+ years ago we stopped funding mental wards and tons of patients ended up on the streets with no full time care and they eventually became the vast majority of our homeless population today. And you're absolutely correct in saying that its all viewed through judicial lenses because those are the only institutions left that can house these people, but instead of giving them the care and compassion they need we just lock them up with killers and rapists.

• James Frank. likes this

#45 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:37 AM

you bring up some good points, ODK...but you also haven't really mentioned the fact that some of these mental illnesses, especially when left untreated for so long, can lead to these people becoming dangerously detached from reality.  i ride public transportation basically every weekday to go to work/school, and every few days i find myself sitting in the vicinity of people who are absolutely bat-shit crazy.  it's sad to see, but it's also fascinating to me where the mind goes as it deteriorates -- just this Monday, i heard a guy conversing to himself out loud (and kinda directing it to others on the bus, but not really) about how he won't ever go back to Wendy's again because Jessie James and Tony Perkins poisoned him when he used to work there as a teenager...

now, besides that, the guy's body language was very confrontational, and everybody around him knew that he could become a problem at any moment...so what's the protocol for situations like that?  of course in an ideal world we would be caring and compassionate towards everyone, especially those who are disadvantaged...

but the reality of it is that some of these patients suffering from mental illness are not safe to be around whatsoever, and at that point i really don't know what the right answer is.  i hate to say "lock 'em up" and just briskly wipe my hands of the situation, but i mean what is the alternative?  some of these people are so far from recovery that it would take years of institutionalization to get them even remotely back on their feet again.

especially here in the states, mental health is looked at through the prism of the judicial system, and usually it isn't even discussed until after the fact that some crime or disturbance has been committed.  my neighbor's schizophrenic daughter is clearly suffering from her illness -- but the thing that really makes it unsettling is the brazen lack of self-awareness that she has about it...i mean, it's one thing to be on the bus yelling silly things, but it's a whole other thing when you're banging on my front door at 9pm on a Tuesday to use my mom's phone because the mafia is after you and you're brandishing a machete everywhere you go.

at some point, i feel like public safety outweighs the needs of the person -- especially if they're behaving as oddly and dangerously as that on a regular basis.  but idk what the solution to that is, because i know if i were slightly more crazy i'd probably be prescribed a bunch of meds and all sorts of other shit that i didn't feel like i needed...

whoa, talk about dove-tailing the topic lol.

All related my man! 

Yeah the bus journeys, one cookey person can put everyone on edge due to fear and my god that spreads quick, but! I think consciously as a race we are becoming self aware, of what a bunch of idiots we are, say there are 10 other passengers on that bus, suddenly comforted the cookey one, all it takes is that one person to start the 100th monkey syndrome, and I've only just got the bottle to start doing this publicly and it does scare the shit out of me at times, I'd rather be locked in a room with a kid with brain damage weilding a fire extinguisher at me to be honest (Went through this last Friday Night ), I know what I'm doing, I've got back up if needed, but on the bus is different, I'm also trying to get rid of my own fears, and brake down my reactive beliefs in public.

Since april, there has been a huge shift, in time, relationships you thought were concrete have crumbled, woman are going through total hell and seem to be affected more, probably due to the feminine side being suppressed for so long, everything has got faster and more dramatic, the day's don't feel as long anymore, the pulse of the earth has sped up, where the clock is measuring 24hrs, it is actually feeling physically and mentally like 16, it's got nothing to do with getting older, this is meant to be going on, things have to change, but it will not be easy.

What you will see is a divide, half are going to start thinking they're going out their head and mad, over reacting to the smallest petty situations especially materialism, the other half will become more and more self aware and will start to have consciousness shifts faster and faster, letting go of rigid belief systems is what we're being taught here.

A lot of it comes down to Chemical imbalances, or trauma earlier in life (thoughts produce too much of one or the other), it works differently over here, they try and hide it and make you think there are no problems in the nice city areas, you go out of that and you start seeing the problems, but also where we have mental institutions, and safe houses for child abusers, they're placed right next to a school, fairly similar to what Sunny is saying about funding or lack of funding. So subtly it's no different, the Them, want a stressed public environment, in every manner possible, they will never deal with it how they should, it's not why they are there. 

I've noticed so many people babbling to themselves going down the road over the last 3 years, we're no different though, I can tell you now everyone on this forum talks to themselves, be it out loud, or in your own head and probably have done since being a child, it's just the level you do it on and the content of what your saying, but we're also taught as a child that your nuts if you do it, some can say it's nuts but how many times have you had a thought like STOP rammed in your head from nowhere and it's just stopped you from getting crushed by a car coming down the road. It can also tune in and tell you don't go to work, you go in the next day to find out you would of been in some huge disaster. It's the good old "Higher Self", but tuned out of sync, then you get Machete weilding characters on mass. It's also law of attraction, same shit keep happening ? seem to be on a tredmill ? and the classic " What the Fuck! Why does this keep happening to me". Depending on the person the most shit you can take before you will break is about 17 years, if that keeps going, its a case of "Hello Nurse". And do these therapists work, well no not really.

look again at the word Therapist ready ?...... The - rapist :ohmy: , you know me there are no coincidences.

Sounds weird, but you do want to lose your mind, it's consciousness we need, Mind is the hive behaviour, one reacts the rest follow, it's using the mind that causes the problems. The hardest thing I think to accept and this is where true compassion comes from is the fact we are all connected and come from the same energy, whether we like it or not, you are connected to Rapists, Killers etc, just not on the same wavelength, far from it I bloody hope. But we all need to get back to our natural state.

#46 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,707 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:03 PM

http://rt.com/usa/20...-bill-congress/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users