• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 djnugz

djnugz

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

Idon't know if anyone saw House Shoes post on Instagram yesterday. He posted a pictures of the Ma Dukes collectors edition sp1200 box set and had some real foul things to say. His commentswere along the lines of calling her a necropheliac, saying she keeps digging up his body to rape him and saying she's making a living off her dead son. I thought it was the most disrespectful words I've ever read. I confronted house shoes, he deleted the post, but responded to my comments and deleted those too. Regardless if she's doing Dilla wrong or not I couldn't believe how far he took it. Did anyone see that instagram post?

#2 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

Interesting 1st post.
  • Jimmyfunkvalve, mangoes cash and GC90 like this

#3 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

I didn't see the post but I'm glad he had the balls to call bs on that release. Since it is Shoes I'm sure he took it a little too far with his words, but since I've been known to say shit without really thinking first that I regret later I'm not gonna put the man on blast. Plus he's doing great things with his Street Corner Music label so more power to him. Ma Dukes needs to just let Egon handle any and all posthumous Dilla releases from this point forward though. That man is so full of integrity and love for the music that he would do Jay's legacy right by taking over from Ma Dukes.
  • GC90 and Berry Woods like this

#4 djnugz

djnugz

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

I said to him I agree with his stand, just the way he said it was mind blowing.

#5 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

Idon't know if anyone saw House Shoes post on Instagram yesterday. He posted a pictures of the Ma Dukes collectors edition sp1200 box set and had some real foul things to say. His commentswere along the lines of calling her a necropheliac, saying she keeps digging up his body to rape him and saying she's making a living off her dead son. I thought it was the most disrespectful words I've ever read. I confronted house shoes, he deleted the post, but responded to my comments and deleted those too. Regardless if she's doing Dilla wrong or not I couldn't believe how far he took it. Did anyone see that instagram post?

Shoes is the only one in the extended Dilla family to speak out honestly about this stuff that we all see –– basically squeezing the man's recorded output in the worst way, making questionable records which are probably making not very much money, and not really expanding his fan base or doing his legacy any good.  

He means well.  Unfortunately, Shoes is the worst kind of spokesman.  At best he's negative, at worst he's rude.

#6 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

What is that dude like in real life? He always rubs me the wrong way. But, I've never interacted with him or talked to anyone that has.

#7 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

Also, what the fuck happened to Nitt taking over all the posthumous direction? I thought the whole point of that was to make things less shady.

#8 Beatronome

Beatronome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beatronome

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

^^ I'd rather see Stones Throw, ?uestlove, House Shoes or even the Bling47 behind this than Nitti; his intentions might be good, don't really see him as a businessman with a vision.

• OfficeTime8889, mangoes cash, GC90 and 1 other like this

#9 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

It's crazy to me that wolf and lib are not the people in charge of his shit. I mean wtffffffff
  • SubBass49 and mangoes cash like this

#10 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

^^ I'd rather see Stones Throw, ?uestlove, House Shoes or even the Bling47 behind this than Nitti; his intentions might be good, don't really see him as a businessman with a vision.

Seems Ma Dukes went with family more so than friends.

#11 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

my vote is for Egon.

• OfficeTime8889 and GC90 like this

#12 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

I am sure Nitti and Ma Dukes got the best intentions, but perhaps it can be argued their collective bunnies savvy is nothing compared to a Stones Throw collective.

I know Peanut said he would be uncomfortable with releasing post humus material, but if its the best for his legacy and Ma Dukes income, why not?

#13 GC90

GC90

waxramble / Discogs / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

At this point I think Egon would be the best choice as well, seeing ST milk Madlib's old material after he took off has been a little annoying (though certainly not as bad as whoever is putting out this Dilla crap)

#14 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

Shoes is a great follow on social media b/c he posts with no conscience.  At the same time though, he's as temperamental an artist as I have ever come to know of.  I was online when he was posting all of these messages directed at the handlers of Dilla's estate and I too thought it was a little overboard.  These are some of House Shoes's posts after the fact -- not sure what changed from the time of his rant to his posts of regret.  

#15 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:58 PM

Interesting exchange here between House Shoes, Dave (from New York), and Mayer Hawthorne regarding posthumous Dilla releases/ how Dilla's estate has been handled.  I captured these pictures on 8/3/2014 as they occurred.  

[/URL]">http://ScreenShot2014-08-03at40412PM_zps28477c4

[/URL]">http://ScreenShot2014-08-03at40352PM_zps244cfd2

[/URL]">http://ScreenShot2014-08-03at40756PM_zpsfde3113

#16 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

there's nothing worse than internet tough-guys...and i mean Dave from NY, not Shoes.

#17 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:08 PM

I still don't get what the hate is about. I mean its the dudes mom. I don't think she is trying to get rich, she is just trying to survive.
  • miss stress likes this

#18 MaddMannMatt

MaddMannMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:11 PM

Dave new york is a g.
  • James Frank. likes this

#19 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

I still don't get what the hate is about. I mean its the dudes mom. I don't think she is trying to get rich, she is just trying to survive.

I don't think it's about the money. I think it's got more to do with the integrity of dillas music. They're releasing a lot of music in unfinished states and music that he probably didn't even want released.

Madlib said it best 

“I’m gonna burn down my studio before I die. Ain’t nobody exploiting my shit. Don’t think I’m gonna get exploited like they’re doing to Dilla”

She has plenty of avenues to take for generating cash out of dillas name that don't involve touching and exploiting his music... That's their problem.

• GC90 likes this

#20 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:05 AM

What I've thought for quite a while is the amount of people he has made beats for, not one has come forward and donated ? have the medical bills been paid off yet, we're talking 8 years ago now, must of got close by now surely.

Sometimes I think it's a work, pulling on peoples heart strings, as marketing, but done really badly. 

Think about it logically, what if Dilla never made beats, Ma Dukes would still be in the same situation, but she wouldn't have resources to get the cash how she has been, she'd be like every other person, really! struggling.

The longer she lets things play out like this the more it will hurt the circle around her, and if your close to the circle, I can imagine this being a complete headache to witness.

I can see the in the future the slight mention of Dilla will put people of listening to him, the new so called new releases are that bad, are paving his legacy down the wrong path.

They need to wake up and release his Jazz Album and call it a day !

#21 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:43 AM

It's crazy to think how much unreleased music Jay Dee really has.  There's this supposed Jazz album; the shelved MCA album that's supposed to be released sometime soon; I think there were rumors of an R&B effort; and of course the myriad beat tapes, demos, and outtakes some of us have come across.  

Out of the barrage of posthumous releases, I'm happy Frank-n-Dank's 48 HRS got a proper release.  Even though I don't care for their music as a duo, that particular album was completed and shelved while Dilla was alive.    Creatively it marks a pivotal moment in his career as he was diverting from sample based production.  

#22 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:40 AM

I don't think it's about the money. I think it's got more to do with the integrity of dillas music. They're releasing a lot of music in unfinished states and music that he probably didn't even want released.

Madlib said it best 

Im gonna burn down my studio before I die. Aint nobody exploiting my shit. Dont think Im gonna get exploited like theyre doing to Dilla

She has plenty of avenues to take for generating cash out of dillas name that don't involve touching and exploiting his music... That's their problem.

I still don't get it. What are the "plenty of avenues" to generate cash? I for one like hearing his works. Finished or not. Some might not like it, but if she needs money to pay for his medical bills (American health care ahem), since she is in debit. There is a worldwide fascination with him. Why not?

I am not saying she is the most business savvy, hip, in touch mogul, but she did know him best. Wasn't his productions call Jay Stay Paid? Guess he got it from his momma.

Edit.
Don't forget, he has two small girls that need money too. Wiki claims his moms lost his house because of medical bills. So, this is a means to an ends. That's it. Maybe it could be done better, but in my view, for his family's financial state, they can do this, or work 9 to 5. What would you choose?
  • EdTheYounger likes this

#23 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:19 AM

The debate over JD's legacy is one thing, but this he said she said taking screen dumps of peoples twitter etc is something else. People might wanna put their hand on their sack and check if they can find any testicles, because they acting like bitches.

#24 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:28 AM

This is Ma Dukes we are talking about here. MA DUKES!! Think Jay Dee is rolling in his grave over her? Doubht it yo.

#25 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Also, I'm pretty sure ma dukes is also struggling with lupus...

#26 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

lmao i doubt anyone is suggesting that Ma Dukes (and the grandkids) NOT be the beneficiary of Dilla's legacy. She does what she does out of love and necessity, plain and simple. Really it's more a question of who is putting together the projects for sale, who is handling the faberge egg that is this man's music. 

We all WANT to hear it all, unfinished or not, obviously. But who's the one making and marketing this 40-track Dilla box? Who's the one slapping a $200+ price tag on it? It's not as if Ma Dukes is an A&R exec, she's probably making few decisions beyond conceptual, broad strokes stuff.

On the Now Again site, Egon is listed as the "Creative Director of the J. Dilla Estate", and yet we've not heard word one from him, or even ST about this "King of Beats" box. I'll admit, the floppy disk is a cool idea, but the weird silence/outcry (depending on who it is) surrounding this project (and culminating from all the other authorized/unauthorized posthumous projects) makes me feel kind of weird about it. 

The MCA album stuff that Rappcats has put out so far has been of the highest quality and integrity I have seen in posthumous Dilla releases, and they're on the Pay Jay imprint! And what with Egon being the creative director of his estate, it seems logical that he'd be involved in most, if not all, upcoming Dilla releases, right? and yet... it's sold off this random website, has a crazy price tag that many (most?) Dilla heads will not be able to responsibly afford, they're trying to create and spread Dilla hashtags (#lostscrolls)... meanwhile J-Dilla.com is supposedly the OFFICIAL Dilla site, and yet there is NOTHING about the box set there. Hell, they don't even sell t-shirts for gods sake!

This is an interesting read from 2010, especially looking back on how little seems to have been accomplished in the way of organizing his estate and legacy in the 4 years since: Announcing Reoganized J-Dilla Estate

#27 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

Madlib said it best 

“I’m gonna burn down my studio before I die. Ain’t nobody exploiting my shit. Don’t think I’m gonna get exploited like they’re doing to Dilla”

theres also http://www.spin.com/...nata-interview/

Dazed & Confused  spoke to Madlib earlier this year and asked him what will happen to all of his unreleased material when he dies. "I'm gonna burn it down before I die, a little Lee Perry action. ... If I was dying in hospital, I'd tell my son to go and burn it," he responded, so as to prevent anyone from exploiting his material the way he found that J Dilla's posthumous work has been exploited. The incendiary quotes swiftly did the rounds through the hip-hop press. Discussing the topic again, Madlib insists there was a misunderstanding as people focused on the wrong aspect of his comments. "People don't have a sense of humor. I was referring to Lee Perry. They don't look in-between, you know what I mean?" he says, presumably nodding to the story of the reggae icon apparently burning down his Black Ark studio in 1979. "Let [people] believe what they want to believe. That's cool."

#28 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

lmao i doubt anyone is suggesting that Ma Dukes (and the grandkids) NOT be the beneficiary of Dilla's legacy. She does what she does out of love and necessity, plain and simple. Really it's more a question of who is putting together the projects for sale, who is handling the faberge egg that is this man's music. 

We all WANT to hear it all, unfinished or not, obviously. But who's the one making and marketing this 40-track Dilla box? Who's the one slapping a $200+ price tag on it? It's not as if Ma Dukes is an A&R exec, she's probably making few decisions beyond conceptual, broad strokes stuff.

On the Now Again site, Egon is listed as the "Creative Director of the J. Dilla Estate", and yet we've not heard word one from him, or even ST about this "King of Beats" box. I'll admit, the floppy disk is a cool idea, but the weird silence/outcry (depending on who it is) surrounding this project (and culminating from all the other authorized/unauthorized posthumous projects) makes me feel kind of weird about it. 

The MCA album stuff that Rappcats has put out so far has been of the highest quality and integrity I have seen in posthumous Dilla releases, and they're on the Pay Jay imprint! And what with Egon being the creative director of his estate, it seems logical that he'd be involved in most, if not all, upcoming Dilla releases, right? and yet... it's sold off this random website, has a crazy price tag that many (most?) Dilla heads will not be able to responsibly afford, they're trying to create and spread Dilla hashtags (#lostscrolls)... meanwhile J-Dilla.com is supposedly the OFFICIAL Dilla site, and yet there is NOTHING about the box set there. Hell, they don't even sell t-shirts for gods sake!

This is an interesting read from 2010, especially looking back on how little seems to have been accomplished in the way of organizing his estate and legacy in the 4 years since: Announcing Reoganized J-Dilla Estate

Ok, that makes sense. 

I understand PWB's previous statement on the matter, but if I were him, if its not too late, I would swoop in and save the day. Same can be said for Busta and QTip. 

#29 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

^ I agree. I mean, obviously there's been a rappcats/ST fallout of some kind, which no doubt FURTHER complicates the fucking matter, but at this point I can't think of a more exciting prospect for a Dilla release than the so-called Pizza Man beat album coming out on ST (or even Pay Jay/Rappcats) with all of the care that they put into their releases: excellent mastering, high-quality packaging, and a gatefold Jeff Jank sleeve. Sure, it'd probably be 40 bucks or something but that's far better than $207.74.

i love how madlib, who very rarely gives interviews, is surprised and amused when people take him seriously about saying he's gonna burn his musical catalog when he dies. sure, in hindsight it's easy to see it's just hyperbole, but he's talking about a fairly serious topic that we never hear his opinion on (the Jay Dee legacy), he's got a LEGENDARY backlog of music whose potential his fans drool over for YEARS at a time with no real hope of ever hearing, and when he says "I'm gonna pull a Scratch Perry and burn it all, I'm never gonna be exploited like Dilla", he shakes his head that people take him seriously.

#30 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

I still don't get it. What are the "plenty of avenues" to generate cash? I for one like hearing his works. Finished or not. Some might not like it, but if she needs money to pay for his medical bills (American health care ahem), since she is in debit. There is a worldwide fascination with him. Why not?
I am not saying she is the most business savvy, hip, in touch mogul, but she did know him best. Wasn't his productions call Jay Stay Paid? Guess he got it from his momma.
Edit.
Don't forget, he has two small girls that need money too. Wiki claims his moms lost his house because of medical bills. So, this is a means to an ends. That's it. Maybe it could be done better, but in my view, for his family's financial state, they can do this, or work 9 to 5. What would you choose?

Just so were clear, I agree with all of that. My comments weren't in defence of house shoes, just shedding light on where he might be coming from... Not saying I agreed with him or anything.

Peace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users