199 replies to this topic

#181 GPBear

GPBear

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

A lot of rappers, Nas, Wu-Tang. They purposefully stop giving us what we want in order to give younger cats lanes to come through. That's the truth

#182 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Interests:Whisky, Wine, Cigars & Coffee
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/edtheyounger

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:50 PM

I don't think the problem with 'rap' is that rappers go on and on about nothing. I think the problem is is that rappers go on and on about nothing in a mundane way. I love the Beatles. Even their earlier pop stuff. They literally sang dozens and dozens of love songs (which were fairly shallow for the most part). But the Beatles were still great, because it wasn't just the content it was the way they said such content. It was the compositions, the delivery, the overall sound. 

Look at Fantastic Vol. 2. Pretty much every song on there is bragadocio shit. It's nothing special from a content perspective. They're not really saying a lot. But their unique cadence/flow/delivery combined with the inventive production makes it FANTASTIC! 
I just wish there were more rappers out there with a sense of musical composition. I feel like rappers don't really think about the music as much as they think about the lyrics. But most of the greatest musical artists in history do both. 

As far as the Beastie Boys go, yeah they weren't the best lyricists. But sonically their albums stood on their own. That unique energy of the Beastie Boys coming together over interesting and unique production was great. A Tribe called Quest were just as unique and sounded excellent as well.

That's actually a very good point. Some of my all time favorites are braggadocio joints. I think it's just more the repetition that gets tiresome. Like we spoke about in the old rappers thread. Atmosphere, brother ali, common. That's why I got so much love for madlib. Dude makes hip hop beats for a while, then plays some jazz, then flips a whole heap of rock music. Just keep it interesting... That's all I'm saying, heaps of dudes on repeat.

#183 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

haha i mean it's been a long time since i felt like there were more than a handful of good rap albums in a year. it's been that way for a while, there are ebbs and flows. and there are a million kid-rappers now, like almost literally one million it feels like, and they all sound too similar for me to get into hardly any of them. those golden era groups might never be topped, who knows...

I get you guys. i'm just saying this is a wayniac thread and he just came out with a dope little EP after a long radio silence, so why are you talking about how whack and monotonous new rap is? the track that brought all this up isn't lame enough to have inspired the debate haha, it's like two one-minute verses followed by a pretty interesting and melodic anderson paak feature.

plus wayne is a fairly experimental dude with his sound (for my money), it may not always be that melodic shit everybody's craving but i think he's cultivating a pretty distinct atmosphere to his projects. and that ain't too bad.

but again, i'm on your side in spirit

• EdTheYounger likes this

#184 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:02 PM

A lot of rappers, Nas, Wu-Tang. They purposefully stop giving us what we want in order to give younger cats lanes to come through. That's the truth

the idea that wu tang stopped giving us what we wanted for the sake of the youth makes me laugh out loud. that's not why these guys stopped giving us what we wanted

• EdTheYounger likes this

#185 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:17 PM

the idea that wu tang stopped giving us what we wanted for the sake of the youth makes me laugh out loud. that's not why these guys stopped giving us what we wanted

Yeah just watch the Rock the bells doco, Pretty self explanatory. Let me lay it though... 10 dudes with big egos, lots of alcohol, weed, wemon and success. Not exactly a recipe for continued creative greatness. Same shit happened with tribe called quest and that was just 3 dudes...

#186 hot_cocoa

hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:39 PM

Diggin it for what it is, Happy JW isn't out of the game for good.

#187 GPBear

GPBear

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

No, like on an individual level. GZA has albums about chess. Ghost went more soulful. Even when Rae dropped Cuban Links II, he didn't go in with the high level energy. They let kids have that shit, they're grown ass men

All rappers do it, I honestly just chose nas and wu at random. They stop rapping like they did in the beginning: half to let the young kids have the rowdy ruckus shit because that's what every rapper's first single is from METHOD Man to Survival Tactics. And half to show how they mature as an artist. The last half is where group breakups occur. Pharcyde gets in a fist fight because one guy liked the ASR 10 filter better than the S950. It seems trivial, but if you're putting your voice down on wax forever over a beat, and now your guy's like "nah man no more sp 1200 beats, we gotta us the MPC" I could see how shit could go down.

#188 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:50 PM

In the highly volatile and competitive world of music I don't think there's any intention to "let the young kids have the rowdy rukus shit" I just think it's a general progression of life and maturity... Like me not going out to clubs anymore, I stay at home and drink where it's warm and peaceful. Not because I feel like the young kids need that crowd more than me. Just cause I'm too old for that shit.

#189 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:08 PM

Dirty Dan is mad good. 30,000 is also great. Probably my 2 favorites on the EP and some of my favorite wayne work in general.

#190 GPBear

GPBear

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

In the highly volatile and competitive world of music I don't think there's any intention to "let the young kids have the rowdy rukus shit" I just think it's a general progression of life and maturity... Like me not going out to clubs anymore, I stay at home and drink where it's warm and peaceful. Not because I feel like the young kids need that crowd more than me. Just cause I'm too old for that shit.

Kool Keith.

Checkmate

#191 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:16 PM

Another great release, it's a bummer he's not on ST anymore but hopefully folks will still see this.

Dirty Dan is mad good.

This and Minerals & Gems my favorites.

#192 JeffPalmer

JeffPalmer

Rookie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:15 AM

after listening to the record several times this is by far his best record to date

#193 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:47 PM

Been reading around da webs and on reddit that the "retired" statement was in relation to him quitting his day job at gamespot to focus on music full time... Interesting.

#194 GPBear

GPBear

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:07 PM

As far as the Beastie Boys go, yeah they weren't the best lyricists. But sonically their albums stood on their own.

"I want to say a little something that's long overdue/The disrespect to women has got to be through"

Also, Wu Tang absolutely moved out of the way for younger cats, there's like 150 dudes in the Wu-Tang killah bee circle that all made their bones because they stopped dropping Protect Ya Necks (looking at you Sunz of Man).

I did come here for Wayne...I think he nuked his roll out. I buy Ras G, Koreatown Oddity, Dilla. But Jonwayne spent the past 5 months incognito, then comes out with tweets like "I heard this was good," "Word of mouth is the gameplan" like nah man. Ras G talks to his fans, Dibiase is the coolest guy out. I feel like JW disrespects his fans. I'm a stan, and I've never even seen anyone call him a neckbeard or any of that shit. It's been overwhelming support, so to get thrown in the dark only to come out acting like that kinda made me think that's why he doesn't get the recognition as some of the FlyLo types he came up with.

#195 JeffPalmer

JeffPalmer

Rookie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:11 PM

I did come here for Wayne...I think he nuked his roll out. I buy Ras G, Koreatown Oddity, Dilla. But Jonwayne spent the past 5 months incognito, then comes out with tweets like "I heard this was good," "Word of mouth is the gameplan" like nah man. Ras G talks to his fans, Dibiase is the coolest guy out. I feel like JW disrespects his fans. I'm a stan, and I've never even seen anyone call him a neckbeard or any of that shit. It's been overwhelming support, so to get thrown in the dark only to come out acting like that kinda made me think that's why he doesn't get the recognition as some of the FlyLo types he came up with.

I don't know, man.  I don't really see it that way.  Bottom line is we don't really know what dude has been through in the last year or so to make him cancel tours, lose a ton of weight and, in general, slow down.  Yeah it's been a weird roll out but for the moment we can only speculate what's going on with him.  Maybe he's just trying to put a positive spin on being out of commission.   As for the past I've been following him for a while and he's definitely made some poor choices but he seems to get wiser about how to act as a semi-public figure as time goes on.  Seems like he definitely straightened up after he quit drinking (might be a big reason why he lost so much weight, too).

• GPBear likes this

#196 GPBear

GPBear

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:36 AM

Definitely not trying to cast aspersions, just calling it like I see's it on the twitter-marketing front haha

edit: the front of all fronts

#197 HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:26 AM

http://twitter.com/j...727301674401793

#198 Abracadaver

Abracadaver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

People are guessing another bowser release.

#199 Abracadaver

Abracadaver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:31 AM

The ep is great. I waited until it was on Amazon to buy it. I am hoping he puts out a full length soon.

#200 HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:24 AM

Yeah, my first thought when seeing the photo was another Bowser-type release. I don't care what it means as long as it means more new music soon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: JonWayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users