#121 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:55 PM

i'm like 99% positive it was flylo himself. 

less than an hour after the leak appeared he was on facebook and twitter posting simply "You're Dead!"

Yeah I noticed that as well. Wonder if he considers it mattering much these days, on release everyone will just download/stream anyway so might as well leak it. I do hope a bunch of people pick up a physical copy or something though, he deserves to get some money for putting out consistently fantastic albums

If there's a shitty sounding version out, maybe he just leaked the HQ version so people wouldn't listen and think it sounded like crap as well lol

• mangoes cash likes this

#122 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:01 PM

yeah i thought of that.  like, why would i risk some idiot sound guy leaking a shitty sounding copy and disgruntling fans??? just leak the HQ myself. 

real fans are gonna support him at shows and with the records and merch anyway

#123 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:43 PM

I'm really mixed on it so far. Definitely a fantastic album, just hard to place it on my favorite Flylo album list after listening to it like 3-4 times. I can say it feels way too short, wish there was more to listen to. The Kendrick/Snoop features turned out a lot better than I thought they would, I think the Captain Murphy stuff should have just been kept for that album though imo (like I mentioned earlier in thread, really wish the original idea of keeping Flying Lotus and Captain Murphy separate would have remained). 

Was reading in some interview that the record could have been a double album between him and Thundercat, would have been really interesting to see that happen but it sounded like Thundercat's work was too early in comparison to where this album was at. 

As ODK mentioned, not really a hip hop album but that hasn't been the case since LA imo which I'm perfectly fine with.

This changes all the time, but at this moment I think I'd rate all the main Flylo albums as

UTQC>1983>LA>You're Dead>Cosmogramma . Again, they are all excellent records for sure, the weakest Flylo is still way better than a lot of music these days. You're Dead is still probably going to be my favorite album of the year (unless a Captain Murphy album shows up somehow or if Kendrick's next album gets a bunch of Flylo production)

Def can't wait for the 4LP

Cosmogramma is your least favorite??! Wow..that's my fave, then LA, then UTQC... I am a anticipating this album not being my favourite tho, I was not feeling the second single, but stil going to cop the album, as I want to hear it in its entirety, fly Lo deserves that much respect. As I have said earlier tho, I hope he "regresses" back into simpler music.

#124 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

Think you got it backwards bruh... He means the arrows point up to Cosmo.

#125 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:59 PM

Ha, nope he got it right. I def dig Cosmogramma (if I were rating Flylo records, UTQC would be like 9-10/10 and Cosmo 8-9/10) but some of it was just too crazy. Think I'm more in the minority that really really digged UTQC, I thought it was a perfect balance of beats and more electronic/semi-jazzy stuff.

I will say though, Cosmogramma has one of my top 3 favorite flylo tracks

My list really changes all the time too, I think 1983/LA tied for my second favorite lol

I agree with people wanting a return to sampled stuff too, thought Captain Murphy was a cool throwback to that and might fit more on the rap albums

Edit:

No Laura Darlington feature on You're Dead was a bummer btw

#126 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:22 PM

The high quality is on pirate bay and isn't Flylo, the shit one is on New albumreleases. I'd torrent myself for sure, self promotion.

There is another avenue, he has put up "Your Dead" in a literal sence to the leaker, maybe not but maybe so, as there have been blocked pages at the bottom of google about copywrite protection. But.....they have not been taken down, the torrents that are up.

Gone through this little Gem twice now, I think the way to listen is not compare it, just enjoy it if you like his music, don't get how you can compare his albums really, they're all their own entity, it's like having 5 kids and being asked which is your favourite, with so many individual characteristics how can they be compared, and that is completely different to something being good or shit.

Final test with this when I get home from work, I need to get stoned and then check this out.

• mangoes cash and GC90 like this

#127 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:36 PM

Stoned is the way to listen to his albums for sure ( if you want to "get into the inner workings" for sure) @ODK

I remeber getting choked up, a couple of times the first heard UTQC. Literally. I Facebooked him that and he liked it!

#128 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:36 PM

Gone through this little Gem twice now, I think the way to listen is not compare it, just enjoy it if you like his music, don't get how you can compare his albums really, they're all their own entity, it's like having 5 kids and being asked which is your favourite, with so many individual characteristics how can they be compared, and that is completely different to something being good or shit.

For sure, I haven't been unhappy with anything he's put out yet. Of the artists I follow/listen to I'd have to say Flylo is easily the most consistent imo

#129 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:39 PM

Ha, nope he got it right.

Dang!! For me
1. Cosmo
2. LA
3. Pattern+gridworld
4. Reset
5. UTQC
6. 1983

#130 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:40 PM

Dang!! For me
1. Cosmo
2. LA
3. Pattern+gridworld
4. Reset
5. UTQC
6. 1983

Right no more than one child for you sir  :lol:

#131 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:41 PM

Was anyone surprised by the guitar on Cold Dead? More guitar on flylo stuff in the future would be sweet!

Edit: Actually there's quite a bit of guitar on this record, the intro to that track was just especially surprising to me lol

#132 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

Stoned is the way to listen to his albums for sure ( if you want to "get into the inner workings" for sure) @ODK

I remeber getting choked up, a couple of times the first heard UTQC. Literally. I Facebooked him that and he liked it!

Fuck!! thought I was being over sensitive, was walking the dog on first listen, same hear wiv da choke ting.

#133 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:44 PM

Right no more than one child for you sir  :lol:

Lol try zero. Grifty's a drunk; not to mention a steroid user and outright bad person.

#134 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:55 PM

Was anyone surprised by the guitar on Cold Dead? More guitar on flylo stuff in the future would be sweet!

I wasn't surprised more of a " Ha ha sounds like Cynic" they're a progressive Jazz Death metal band, reminded me also of Mr Bungle and dare I say it Dream Theatre, got to be honest, musician wise it has been done before, the way different genres keep tickling each other every other bar, is pretty much a 90's thing, def for guitar orientated music. For me it's about time too ! 

• GC90 likes this

#135 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:57 PM

Lol try zero. Grifty's a drunk; not to mention a steroid user and outright bad person.

Ha ha!!  :lol: ... :huh: Shit ! .......I got a Kid and I'm a weed head......opps!! 

#136 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,506 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:28 AM

i'm like 99% positive it was flylo himself. 

less than an hour after the leak appeared he was on facebook and twitter posting simply "You're Dead!"

yer the one i have is quite high quality im thinking he leaked it, end of the day if your a fan your gonna buy it

#137 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:13 AM

This sounds more like a late 70s prog album than new Flylo. Only listened once but I think it's gonna be a grower and get some heavy rotation at times. Everything flows together incredibly well too. As for my most to least favorite:

1. Cosmo
2. UTQC
3. 1983
4. LA
5. Murph
6. PGW

I have a feelin this one creeps up to 2 or 3 after several listens

#138 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

this is one of the few times i don't want to listen to the leak...

#139 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

I don't understand how anyone is already comparing discographies when it's clear that the leak is absolute doo doo quality.

#140 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

I don't understand how anyone is already comparing discographies when it's clear that the leak is absolute doo doo quality.

Not the one I have... If the official is noticeably better then I'll be very impressed
  • GC90 likes this

#141 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

Not the one I have... If the official is noticeably better then I'll be very impressed

yeshrug.png Carry on then

#142 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,520 posts

Posted Today, 08:08 AM

Short Film Scored By FL.

http://bit.ly/1vuSHAj

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users