GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:55 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...016.m2516.l5255

Just saw this pop up in my eBay feed for ST stuff. Dunno at what point these guys feel like ST fell off? More of their weird shirts 

http://hiphopphiloso...011/09/why.html

Remember seeing jonwayne post about this a long time ago on Twitter

#2 Jimmyfunkvalve

Jimmyfunkvalve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:38 AM

I can understand it from a certain extreme point of view, if you're just into 'pure Hip Hop' then stuff like Anika, Vex Ruffin, Boredwalk, Stepkids etc isn't gonna appeal much, couple that with a distinct lack of new Madlib & Oh No releases and maybe it could seem to be some kind of betrayal. Personally I'd call it diversification rather than falling off, although I'm probably the wrong person to respond as I just checked my record collection and I'm pretty sure that A Strange Arrangement, Alone/Together and a couple of J Rocc 12s are the only ST records I own that have no involvement from either Madlib, Oh No or Dilla. To be fair though, if I had more spare cash I'd definitely try out some of the more diverse bits and pieces but at the moment I don't really pay much attention because I can't afford to...

#3 Beatronome

Beatronome

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beatronome

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:06 AM

Hiphop purists are the worst.

• OfficeTime8889 and James Frank. like this

#4 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

A true hip hop purist is a fan of all types of music.  ST has fallen off a bit if you look at hip hop associated acts, but their other acts are releasing some hot shit.

• SubBass49, SunnyMeadowz and GC90 like this

#5 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

love that Jonwayne wants one

#6 lightingpill

lightingpill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

It's got to be the fact that Stones Throw is putting more "weird" acts up, as opposed to the hip-hop shit. If you watch their YouTube vids, you will never see as much comments from confused people as you would on non-hip-hop or R&B/soul acts. So, to say Stones Throw fell off would be to suggest they were ever "on". They released weird, innovative, honest records as well as pure shit before. They released global projects, also. As far as I'm concerned, nothing has really changed for them.

#7 JrSAMPLES

JrSAMPLES

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:04 PM

uh

stones throw just put their whole discography on I-tunes a few years ago,

no way

they ever fell off,  you were just too early to finding them. 

#8 Pattch82

Pattch82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:31 AM

I don't think they fell off, but the output has seriously changed.

I remember the good old days when the ST newsletters were crammed with news and releases from Madlib, Oh No, Dilla, Doom, Guilty, MED, Roc C, Percee P, etc.

Nowadays there is very little straight up Hip-Hop in there and that does put a lot of people off.

• Jadoe and SunnyMeadowz like this

#9 mau

mau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:16 AM

I don't think they fell off, but the output has seriously changed.

I remember the good old days when the ST newsletters were crammed with news and releases from Madlib, Oh No, Dilla, Doom, Guilty, MED, Roc C, Percee P, etc.

Nowadays there is very little straight up Hip-Hop in there and that does put a lot of people off.

yep. mid 00's i was a huge supporter of stones throw. but since a couple of  years i completely lost intrest in this label. pyramid vritra, tuxedo, myron & e... i dont like any of these new artists wolf is signing. last record i bought since 2009 was k.riggins alone/together.

not that i just want hiphop/beat stuff. i love franklin thompson's planet jumper ep, james pants, gary wilson, baron zen, but all these new acts are pretty boring to me.

• SunnyMeadowz likes this

#10 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:29 AM

There's a brave opinion up above. Anyone agreeing?

#11 jax green

jax green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

There's a brave opinion up above. Anyone agreeing?

Nope. Shit is boring.

#12 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:Black Coffee
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/edtheyounger

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

There was a lul no doubt. But now with mndsgn and knx onboard and Ras putting out his best work to date, I couldn't be more excited for the future. I would hardly say they "fell off" however... Just had some mediocre music coming out for a while and not because it wasn't hip hop... Because it wasn't anything exceptional. Nothing terrible, nothing groundbreaking either though. The last 6-12months have been dope though. nxworries up next :D

#13 GPBear

GPBear

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:50 PM

It's almost exactly like professional wrestling. Everyone says it fell off, but let's look at what they really mean

Yeah professional wrestling/Stones Throw fell off if you compare it to the early 2000s. But that's because back in the day, Mick Foley was getting thrown off the Hell in the Cell. Madlib and Doom were making Madvillain. These things are untoppable.

It's illegal for wrestling to hit people with chairs anymore, it's illegal for Stones Throw to sample the way it used to.

It's just not fair to expect them to top what they've done. To ask Mick Foley to top his Undertaker match, or to ask Stones Throw to top Donuts/Madvillain. Just straight lunacy.

• Cheel likes this

#14 Anttheknee999

Anttheknee999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:37 PM

It's almost exactly like professional wrestling. Everyone says it fell off, but let's look at what they really mean

Yeah professional wrestling/Stones Throw fell off if you compare it to the early 2000s. But that's because back in the day, Mick Foley was getting thrown off the Hell in the Cell. Madlib and Doom were making Madvillain. These things are untoppable.

It's illegal for wrestling to hit people with chairs anymore, it's illegal for Stones Throw to sample the way it used to.

It's just not fair to expect them to top what they've done. To ask Mick Foley to top his Undertaker match, or to ask Stones Throw to top Donuts/Madvillain. Just straight lunacy.

this person gets it

#15 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:36 PM

they need to sign geechie dan ill rap about all kinds of shit (catholic priest, riots, crate digging, making a sandwich, pussy, weed, the bible, loops, etc) and all i need is 10gs

• SunnyMeadowz, GC90, James Frank. and 1 other like this

#16 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:09 PM

Geechie Dan is why I am here. Wtf is up with this label, I can tell who is ill just by their posts.

I may not have listened to the newer acts, but I know Geechie Dan is ill. A monster was created by this label, really. It set the ceiling too high with the nerd out sampling. "The professional, the professional...er um,,,do doo doo...

I miss MV and how perfect you could ill out to how perfectly arranged the weird sounds were.

#17 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:01 PM

i like how they never signed Ed Ape lol

• GC90 and GPBear like this

#18 lightingpill

lightingpill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:48 AM

I read an article today, and it turns out that Stones Throw is based mostly upon the tastes of Peanut Butter Wolf and even Madlib. So, nobody gets signed until one of them gives the word that you are worth it.

The question is...is Madlib the creative director of Stones Throw still?

#19 miss stress

miss stress

"Poison like BBD's first cassette"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

I%27D+RATHER+BE+BROKE.jpg

classic Times up! where do you get this from?

#20 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:11 PM

I read an article today, and it turns out that Stones Throw is based mostly upon the tastes of Peanut Butter Wolf and even Madlib. So, nobody gets signed until one of them gives the word that you are worth it.

The question is...is Madlib the creative director of Stones Throw still?

Madlib hasn't been involved with Stones Throw for awhile now (outside of ST Doc soundtrack which was a lot of older stuff, can't remember his last original release for the label) and I don't believe he was ever a "creative director" or even had much of an influence on what was released on the label outside of his own work of course (ie I don't think PBW and Madlib were ever like "partners"). If anything I think it would have been more PBW/Egon doing that kinda stuff and they are split now of course. 

Could be wrong but that's what I thought was the case anyway

#21 lightingpill

lightingpill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:17 PM

Madlib hasn't been involved with Stones Throw for awhile now (outside of ST Doc soundtrack which was a lot of older stuff, can't remember his last original release for the label) and I don't believe he was ever a "creative director" or even had much of an influence on what was released on the label outside of his own work of course (ie I don't think PBW and Madlib were ever like "partners"). If anything I think it would have been more PBW/Egon doing that kinda stuff and they are split now of course. 

Could be wrong but that's what I thought was the case anyway

I guess that's the truth since Madlib is busy with his Madlib invazion label. But from what I gathered in the article, nothing really gets by without PBW's say-so.

The article, by the way, was about how Aloe Blacc's album almost never came out on Stones Throw because it wasn't to PBW's taste musically.

#22 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:33 AM

I wouldn't exactly say they have fallen off. I mean, they release Homeboy Sandman's music, how could they haven fallen off then? There are a lot of releases I don't enjoy and care about, but there's also a lot of good music released. They need to release another rap release though besides Sandman (but dude is way too good anyway).

Nowadays I prefer Mello Music Group, to be honest.

#23 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:45 AM

I guess that's the truth since Madlib is busy with his Madlib invazion label. But from what I gathered in the article, nothing really gets by without PBW's say-so.

The article, by the way, was about how Aloe Blacc's album almost never came out on Stones Throw because it wasn't to PBW's taste musically.

dude it's wolf's label.  like, he owns it

• GC90 likes this

#24 JrSAMPLES

JrSAMPLES

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:53 PM

ras g, a few of the wayne tapes, and homeboy sandman albums

have been what liked the best in the past few years

#25 lightingpill

lightingpill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted Today, 01:07 PM

dude it's wolf's label.  like, he owns it

I know. That being said, saying whether a label fell off or not may be our opinion, but it was always about people doing their own thing. So, falling off would have to require someone being on.

#26 hot_cocoa

hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts

Posted Today, 05:38 PM

Definitely missing the more hip-hop oriented years, I was real down with Jonwayne, and seeing him leave was a bummer. Just not diggin the new cats they are signing these days.

#27 GPBear

GPBear

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted Today, 05:50 PM

I'm gonna say it, it's not the label's fault. It's this generation of artists have poor taste. I don't say this off of speculation. I live near Portland. The alternative scene, they're nice people. But that's why they get shows. It's a drum circle, but instead of 1960s groovy threads, you have denim jackets and aviator shades, with brown boots - man or woman. Having large followings on twitter doesn't make you a great signee to a label, especially when it's a label that means something to the owner.

Rapper out here just moved down to San Fran, I found out after seeing him live. I won't name names, but I shook my head and said "good luck". Because SF is exactly that. A hotbed of instagram filter photographers. I know, I was born down there. The reason why this happened is because cities are not as dangerous as they used to be, so artists in the city lose their edge. And the suburban kids emulating those artists never pick up the edge because there's nothing to pick up, and they move to the city with a derby cap, a kermit the frog voice, and put a capo on every terrible 3 chord folk song they sing about a girl they pulled when they were 16.

Friend from highschool, pitchy off key folk singer, did an interview on youtube where he was like "Sometimes, when I'm really, really bored, I'll just try to make something that sounds like another musician". These people are my friends, they get hits on youtube, but they're bad.

#28 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted Today, 06:03 PM

Just another "modern music sucks" shpeel. Shoot me now. ST is pushing out good shit as always. MND, KNX, Myron & E, Boysand, Wayniac just finished up a nice run, Vex, Pants, Stepkids... JRocc..... Lions.... Jeez I mean how much good shit do you want from one label? If you hate on stones throw then leave the forums dawg, don't kid yourself
  • GPBear likes this

#29 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted Today, 06:06 PM

Not to you specifically GPB, just to the haters

#30 GPBear

GPBear

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted Today, 06:40 PM

nah, it's all good, I put my foot in my mouth. I'm saying stones throw manages to put in the work and dig out diamonds from the abyss

/backs out

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users