#181 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

I got to think this is old news for all y'all, but my wife put this on last night, and it is pretty damn good. Plus there are some samples to be heard up in it...

• James Frank. likes this

#182 joust1

joust1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:24 PM

JOHN WICK WAS FUCKING AWESOME!!

#183 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:30 PM

Keanu-Reeves-1.jpg

#184 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

I saw Birdman twice this past weekend and really enjoyed it. It was incredibly filmed and the acting and dialogue is excellent. Keaton definitely deserves an Oscar nod for his performance.

#185 J.P.A

J.P.A

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Interests:Good music, Learning, traveling

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

I agree with this comment.  Saw this in the IMAX on sunday.  Probably one of the best action movies i've seen in a while.  keanu reeves kicked butt in the movie.  8 out of 10.

Finally got around to seeing 'Gone Girl.'  Good mystery/thriller from the director David Fincher.  Its like a mixture of 'Se7en' and 'The Game.'  I'll give it a 9 out of 10.  

#186 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

The best part of WALL-E, for me is the first half, that is without dialogue. The director based much of this on Charlie Chaplin. Speaking of silent films. The director of Gravity (forget his name) first considered it as a silent movie. Becuase it is in the vacuum of space. No noise is possible.
Hm.

damn... I wish that shit was silent... It was basically just an hour and a half of Sandra Bullock making sex noises.

If you're going for the whole silent(ish) movie in space vibe then 'moon' can't really be topped...

#187 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:56 PM

anybody see Days of Heaven?

#188 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:55 PM

Thought DJANGO was aight, but this scene was one of its half dozen or so, epic scenes. This one may be the funniest scenes I have ever scene.

#189 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted Today, 08:08 AM

Thought DJANGO was aight, but this scene was one of its half dozen or so, epic scenes. This one may be the funniest scenes I have ever scene.

This one and the scene where they roll into that town to get the sheriff...

#190 The Jackal

The Jackal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop and Film
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/thejackal2011

Posted Today, 08:17 AM

anybody see Days of Heaven?

Imo that's Terrence Malick's best film. Great writing, performances, and the cinematography is some of the greatest in films history. 

#191 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted Today, 09:52 AM

yeah, a lot of people here at school consider it like the greatest film ever made...

i agree that Nestor Almendros is easily one of the best cinematographers of all time; but i really hate every other aspect of the movie lol.

i recognize i'm in a tiny little minority, but whatever -- it's just not a great film to me in terms of anything besides the shots themselves.

#192 The Jackal

The Jackal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop and Film
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/thejackal2011

Posted Today, 10:49 AM

Maybe give it another shot down the road. Sometimes great films have to grow on you. I can't even count how many films I thought were okay or overrated, then I watched them again years(sometimes just months) later only to find that they truly were awesome.

Then again, I hated the Tree of Life, and everyone seems to love that one. So maybe I should give that one another shot at some point. 

#193 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted Today, 12:49 PM

Maybe give it another shot down the road. Sometimes great films have to grow on you. I can't even count how many films I thought were okay or overrated, then I watched them again years(sometimes just months) later only to find that they truly were awesome.

Then again, I hated the Tree of Life, and everyone seems to love that one. So maybe I should give that one another shot at some point. 

yeah, i know i still have to give the rest of his ouevre a chance...but i've given plenty of chances to DOH, tried watching it several times with new perspectives each time -- and it seems like the only way the movie becomes beautiful is if you abstract the story to absurdity where every event in the film is meaningless except in terms of some uber-pretentious biblical metaphor...

i like when films give me things on multiple levels: The Big Lebowski is a great example of a film where the characters represent and mean way more than what they actually do or say, but it still works in terms of just watching it straight-on like any other comedy.  this film, on the other hand, gives me jack shit in terms of an actual story and replaces any semblance of story arc or character development with pretty shots of buffaloes and hay.  some films do that and are successful; i just don't think this one is one of them, but i respect it anyway as a technical achievement of course.

i just don't like it personally, it's not my cup of tea haha...and i think that's fine.  i don't understand why "this movie's good" and "i still hate it" can't be independent thoughts, i can dislike something while still recognizing its influence on cinema.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Jackal