409 replies to this topic

#391 GPBear

GPBear

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:00 PM

Ghost Dog's great for smoking weed to at like 4-5 in the morning if you ever get the chance.

Interior view of an Ice Cream Truck followed by Ice Cream by Wu-Tang

GAWDDAMN THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE

• GC90 likes this

#392 bamajoe

bamajoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:24 PM

I've only heard it pronounced Jar-mush.

I really like the music in Jarmusch ' films. If I'm not mistaken Jarmusch said Rza gave him the music for Ghost dog and didn't traditionally score the movie. Or something like that. Rza was working on the music while Ghost Dog was being shot and I'm not sure if he actually made music while watching any of it.

Didn't Neil Young score Dead Man?

#393 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:38 PM

@James Frank

mystery train is great. you should check out tampopo if you like that style of story telling.

tampopo is more lighthearted and conventional, but mixed with well placed WTF moments to keep your attention. favorites being the scenes with the japanese couple :)

• James Frank. likes this

#394 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:43 AM

@James Frank

mystery train is great. you should check out tampopo if you like that style of story telling.

tampopo is more lighthearted and conventional, but mixed with well placed WTF moments to keep your attention. favorites being the scenes with the japanese couple :)

thanks man, i'll check it out.

#395 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

Ex Machina was dope.

Mad Max looks crazy, can't wait for that one.

....and for a throwback joint: Bebe's Kids is streaming on Netflix!

• Dirty Cyclist likes this

#396 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

hey there everybody -- so here is my final project from film studies this semester, i.e. the fruits of all my labor for the past six months.  i posted both my finals from Fall 2014 in "Animation" and on page 8 in this thread, so i figured this would be of interest for anyone curious to see how my progress as a filmmaker has been mapped out over the past several months (with the radio show, the failed web-series and what-not).

i didn't win the class vote this time around, unfortunately -- but at the same time, i'm not completely happy with this film anyway.  i can't believe logistically how wrong some parts of this process went, despite months and months of smart planning, tight scriptwriting, and rigorous developing...

it actually kinda bums me out because this could've been like really really good, instead of just decent -- but a lot of errors resulted in the scope being shortened quite a bit (imo a bit too much, because the story is now a little too vague for most people to follow easily).  however, the reception that i've gotten so far has been really flattering from some people i look up to dearly...so to hear that i succeeded in entertaining those people makes me feel like this was still a success.  i'm gonna be adding one minor sound change to the transition between the office and outside, and then submitting it to a local film thing as my "calling card" of sorts for the next one.

• jbuzz likes this

#397 jbuzz

jbuzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:54 PM

This is tight dude

#398 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

hey there everybody -- so here is my final project from film studies this semester, i.e. the fruits of all my labor for the past six months.  i posted both my finals from Fall 2014 in "Animation" and on page 8 in this thread, so i figured this would be of interest for anyone curious to see how my progress as a filmmaker has been mapped out over the past several months (with the radio show, the failed web-series and what-not).

i didn't win the class vote this time around, unfortunately -- but at the same time, i'm not completely happy with this film anyway.  i can't believe logistically how wrong some parts of this process went, despite months and months of smart planning, tight scriptwriting, and rigorous developing...

it actually kinda bums me out because this could've been like really really good, instead of just decent -- but a lot of errors resulted in the scope being shortened quite a bit (imo a bit too much, because the story is now a little too vague for most people to follow easily).  however, the reception that i've gotten so far has been really flattering from some people i look up to dearly...so to hear that i succeeded in entertaining those people makes me feel like this was still a success.  i'm gonna be adding one minor sound change to the transition between the office and outside, and then submitting it to a local film thing as my "calling card" of sorts for the next one.

Guess what I'm going to say......HYPE!!!!  :lol:

• felixherandez and jbuzz like this

#399 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:38 PM

i mean, if people had fully fleshed out films they wanted to spam here on the site, i'd be totally cool with that because it's never an issue haha.

there's not like a shitload of bedroom filmmakers scurrying out of the woodwork to post their crappy, half-baked ideas every day on this forum... but yeah, now you got me thinking.

the film equivalent to a soundcloud beatmaker is like maybe an instagram photographer -- or a vimeo whore, if those even exist...? 

• jbuzz likes this

#400 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:32 AM

Mad strange. Rather macabre. Slow moving? I think you are really talented at camera angles. This is not my cup of tea-Death is not a topic I deal well with these days.

#401 GPBear

GPBear

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:54 PM

Anyone seen the Melvin Van Peebles or Gordon Parks documentary? Both are over a decade old, but I saw them last night. Gordon Parks was also great and worth checking out, especially the segment on Flavio, but

Melvin Van Peebles is definitely one of the most inspirational people I've ever come across,

Documentary starts with him moving to Paris and learning french to become a writer, because under law french writers were entitled to one movie
First (and only?) black man to have two shows on Broadway at once (Ain't Supposed to Die a Natural Death, Don't Play Us Cheap).

And on top of all that, including writing/directing/starring in Sweet Sweetback, and giving Madlib some of his best samples, on a bet he becomes the first black Wall Street trader in history

#402 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:06 PM

ex machina was good.  i dunno though... it felt kinda tame compared to the possible horrors it hinted at

#403 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:20 PM

photography and cinematography were EXQUISITE in the film, seriously breathtaking.  good-to-great performances from the males and an excellent, engrossing show from the swedish smokeshow vikander. i thought the story was predictable and stale though, and the moments of catharsis weren't quite cathartic enough

#404 Batou_84

Batou_84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Art, Tree, The Major's Thighs, Bitching Togusa

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:02 AM

Anyone seen the Melvin Van Peebles or Gordon Parks documentary? Both are over a decade old, but I saw them last night. Gordon Parks was also great and worth checking out, especially the segment on Flavio, but

Melvin Van Peebles is definitely one of the most inspirational people I've ever come across,

Documentary starts with him moving to Paris and learning french to become a writer, because under law french writers were entitled to one movie
First (and only?) black man to have two shows on Broadway at once (Ain't Supposed to Die a Natural Death, Don't Play Us Cheap).

And on top of all that, including writing/directing/starring in Sweet Sweetback, and giving Madlib some of his best samples, on a bet he becomes the first black Wall Street trader in history

If you talking about "How to eat your watermelon..." yes and its awesome...on the subject of great documentary that star AA luminaries anyone ever seen the ones on John Henrik Clarke( Long and Mighty Walk) or the one telling the history of the Panthers( 41st & Central)...cant recommend them enough.

• GPBear likes this

#405 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,561 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:03 AM

photography and cinematography were EXQUISITE in the film, seriously breathtaking.  good-to-great performances from the males and an excellent, engrossing show from the swedish smokeshow vikander. i thought the story was predictable and stale though, and the moments of catharsis weren't quite cathartic enough

the house it's filmed in is actually a hotel http://www.juvet.com/the-juvet-hotel

soundtrack by portishead dude geoff barrow was nice, have the vinyl on order Splatter-Mockup-1-300x300.jpg

#406 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:19 AM

yeah, dude the score was fantastic.  very tense, atmoshperic synth based stuff

• shakey finch likes this

#407 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:30 AM

yeah, dude the score was fantastic.  very tense, atmoshperic synth based stuff

yup i believe they have done the score for the forthcoming j g ballard adapt 'hise rise' hyped for that

#408 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:47 AM

without trying to give too much away, the dancing scene was great

• shakey finch and jbuzz like this

#409 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

without trying to give too much away, the dancing scene was great

haha yeah was so unexpected as well genuine laugh out loud moment at the cinema from me

#410 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted Today, 05:45 PM

Mad Max looks crazy, can't wait for that one.

I liked Mad Max...

The Fantastic Four ad cracked me up before the movie: "Who's coming? DOOOM!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users