386 replies to this topic

#361 Batou_84

Batou_84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Art, Tree, The Major's Thighs, Bitching Togusa

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:23 AM

I'll definitely check that one out! I just added it to my watch this year list lol

I really need to see Red Beard, Dersu Uzala, Madadayo, Dreams, and The Hidden Fortress as well. Then I'll be just about caught up on his filmography.

Wow...youve saved one of his best for last with Hidden Fortress...super unique and ahead of its time movie which incidentally greatly influenced Star Wars...at least with some elements of the story. I really liked Dersu a lot too(has one of my favorite kurosawa shots) but I like movies about like man vs wilderness subject matter so I was bias...man I may watch Hidden Fortress again tonight...such a fun film.

#362 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop and Film
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/the-jackals_url

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:09 PM

Wow...youve saved one of his best for last with Hidden Fortress...super unique and ahead of its time movie which incidentally greatly influenced Star Wars...at least with some elements of the story. I really liked Dersu a lot too(has one of my favorite kurosawa shots) but I like movies about like man vs wilderness subject matter so I was bias...man I may watch Hidden Fortress again tonight...such a fun film.

I'm really excited about Hidden Fortress, I'm so overdue for it. I really have no good excuse as to why I haven't watched it yet. It's been on hulu forever now. I heard about it influencing Star Wars, and remember seeing a shot comparison years ago about it as well.  I have no idea how I'll see Dersu Uzala though. I'm a little skeptical to get the Kino DVD. I'm really hoping it gets a criterion release in the near future. 

#363 Batou_84

Batou_84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

oddly enough as great as High & Low is when you mentioned it I started thinking of The Bad Sleep Well and it took me a while to watch that but that is an excellent film as well. A different albeit Brilliant performance by Mifune.

#364 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

Yeah absolutely. I know The Bad Sleep Well isn't considered to be one of Kurosawa's best, but I lt's one of my favorites. I love all of his Shakespeare adaptations. Ran is better I think, but I haven't seen Ran in so long. The last time I watched The Bad Sleep Well really put me there. It was more immersive to me than some of Kurosawa's more well loved works. Same with Throne of Blood. Kurosawa is really a master of every aspect of filmmaking. His cinematography, his brilliant control of mood and atmosphere, the way he conveys emotion, and of course he always get's great performances from his actors. As well respected as Kurosawa is, I always feel as though he's somehow underrated. 

Anyway, yeah, my point is I feel he has some of the best adaptations of Shakespeare. I've never seen a Shakespeare adaptation better than Throne of Blood. I like Polanski's adaptation of Macbeth, but Throne of Blood is just so damn atmospheric. Plus to me it does more and in a much shorter span of time too. 

And yeah I love Mifune's performance in The Bad Sleep Well. He really sells the role. It's a nuanced performance, and it's not an easy performance to sell. He can seem like a wimpy businessman but also seem very menacing, and emotionally scarred all at the same time.

#365 Fire Ice Lord

Fire Ice Lord

Rookie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

Hey Have any of yall seen beyond the black rainbow? It's a scifi movie from 2012 or 13. It's one of those movie you either don't get at all and think is fucking stupid or you think it's amazing. It's on netflix last I checked, and had a rating of like 1.5 stars lol. The visuals are amazing as well as the sound design, and the ending is perfect imo (that's one thing a lot of people criticize). It's super slow paced but it's only about 90 minutes, and I think it helps you take in the atmosphere. Haven't been following this thread so I don't know if this movie has been discussed. Oh and also snow piercer is another dope scifi that's also on Netflix.

#366 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:47 PM

director.jpg?resize=750%2C958

director2.jpg?resize=750%2C496

• The Jackal and Batou_84 like this

#367 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:54 PM

just watched Meet Wally Sparks last night for the first time -- where's Criterion's version of that shit?!?!???!

haha

#368 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:53 AM

Hey Have any of yall seen beyond the black rainbow? It's a scifi movie from 2012 or 13. It's one of those movie you either don't get at all and think is fucking stupid or you think it's amazing. It's on netflix last I checked, and had a rating of like 1.5 stars lol. The visuals are amazing as well as the sound design, and the ending is perfect imo (that's one thing a lot of people criticize). It's super slow paced but it's only about 90 minutes, and I think it helps you take in the atmosphere. Haven't been following this thread so I don't know if this movie has been discussed. Oh and also snow piercer is another dope scifi that's also on Netflix.

I posted about this a while back, thought heads on here would appreciate it. Can't say I loved it but I was mesmerized by the visuals and score. Definitely a rare type of film in today's cinema.

#369 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:21 PM

I'm rewatching the place beyond the pines right now, which IMO is an incredible film

#370 jbuzz

jbuzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:23 AM

I'm rewatching the place beyond the pines right now, which IMO is an incredible film

If you like it maybe you'll like Only God Forgives. The critics murdered it but my mates and I thought it was dope

#371 Batou_84

Batou_84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:11 AM

watched force majuere(turista) last night and honestly thought it was pretty dumb but it had some interesting moments...anyone else watch this or a fan of this director(Ostlund)...

#372 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:37 PM

the irony of watching Copyright Criminals online

#373 jbuzz

jbuzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

I have no words. This movie is setting itself up to be fucking great, I really hope it's not just hype. Prayers

#374 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

^ thats whatsup

• jbuzz likes this

#375 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:Black Coffee
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/edtheyounger

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:23 PM

New avengers was meh... One pretty dope fight scene, Scarlett is still fine as hell but outside of that it was like a 6/10

#376 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

New avengers was meh... One pretty dope fight scene, Scarlett is still fine as hell but outside of that it was like a 6/10

i havent seen it yet, but i dont think it tops that walkout interview with robert downey jr

to be fair, yes it was an interview for the new avengers movie, but i have also been wondering what sparked the change in robert downey to go from deadbeat druggy getting busted in hotel after hotel, smoking drugs; straight back to hollywood as an A-list movie star? like, WHAT is that story? did some bigwig movie director decide to give him a shot again, or did he get some personal favor from another big name? im definitely proud of robert downey and happy for his success, but im also wondering if hes just gonna FUCK it all up again and in 10 years found dead from an OD.

its kind of hard to go from his part in 'less than zero' (which seemed to relate incredibly well to his actual life). or the goof-off friend in 'weird science' and 'back to school', drop off from the limelight, do loads of drugs, and then.... "Hey, I'm Back!"

i understand how fucked up it would be to put someone on the spot like the interviewer did with no preparation. dude took a carefree movie-promoting interview and tried to turn it into a 'diane sawyer' 60-minute piece.

bad show on the interviewers part, for sure.

--------------------------------------------------

but yeah, ill probably wait for the avengers on bluray. unless my brother wants to go watch that ish

#377 turquoisecrown

turquoisecrown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:12 PM

rockers anyone? one my all time favorites.

#378 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:Black Coffee
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/edtheyounger

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:27 PM

Yeah that was a whack af interview, he had every right to bounce when that fool started going all deep and meaningful... As far as RDJ himself is concerned I think he just turned shit around. I don't think he pulled any strings, I mean he's RDJ ffs. If he turns up at an audition for whatever movie you're making regardless of his past behaviour, you're paying attention. And if he fits the role, he fits the role. I don't think anyone can argue there's another actor better suited for iron man than he is. It was a high risk, high reward scenario and it paid dividends for both parties. I'm sure there were unpublicised contract clauses around he's past conduct and not repeating history etc.

#379 jbuzz

jbuzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:25 PM

Yeah that was a whack af interview, he had every right to bounce when that fool started going all deep and meaningful... As far as RDJ himself is concerned I think he just turned shit around. I don't think he pulled any strings, I mean he's RDJ ffs. If he turns up at an audition for whatever movie you're making regardless of his past behaviour, you're paying attention. And if he fits the role, he fits the role. I don't think anyone can argue there's another actor better suited for iron man than he is. It was a high risk, high reward scenario and it paid dividends for both parties. I'm sure there were unpublicised contract clauses around he's past conduct and not repeating history etc.

I think it's as much his tenacity as Hollywood looking after their own. I think the way he kicked his drug habit and turned his life around is seriously admirable, but it's who you know not what you know. He was veeeeery lucky to get those roles in Good Night, and Good Luck and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and it probably had a lot more to do with RDJ being friends with the directors and producers of those films than it did him auditioning and stuff. I like his stuff, though. He's been a great Iron Man and is generally an entertaining actor, although like Jack Nicholson, you do get the feeling he's just playing himself.

#380 bamajoe

bamajoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:03 AM

Ex Machina
  • shakey finch likes this

#381 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:29 AM

Ex Machina

dope. the vinyl for the score has just gone on pre-sale

#382 bamajoe

bamajoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:31 AM

I think Geoff Barrow was involved

#383 Batou_84

Batou_84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted Today, 06:48 AM

so anyone here read they're remaking the Magnificent 7.....with Denzel!!!?????!....seriously I'm officially through with Hollyweird...Originality has been gang-raped, maimed and left in an obscure hole somewhere in the San Gabriel Mts...

#384 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted Today, 09:58 AM

have you guys seen Mystery Train (1989) by Jim Jarmusch?

i saw it in film school back in Fall 2013, but watching it again was a real treat for me -- that movie is so fucking good.

and silly too, like for a film that has as much artistic merit to actually exhibit a real sense of humor in totally non-hacky ways...it's just really surprising to me that it exists.  but it's easily one of my top 10 after watching it a second time just last weekend.

• The Jackal likes this

#385 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted Today, 10:08 AM

have you guys seen Mystery Train (1989) by Jim Jarmusch?

i saw it in film school back in Fall 2013, but watching it again was a real treat for me -- that movie is so fucking good.

and silly too, like for a film that has as much artistic merit to actually exhibit a real sense of humor in totally non-hacky ways...it's just really surprising to me that it exists.  but it's easily one of my top 10 after watching it a second time just last weekend.

If you haven't checked it out already I highly recommend Dead Man. One of the most interesting westerns ever made, and imo easily one of Jarmusch's best.

#386 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted Today, 10:17 AM

^ yeah, i've heard about that one from scrolling through my instant queue on Netflix back when i had it.

didn't realize it was a Jarmusch film, i literally know nothing else about him besides the fact that he made that Coffee & Cigarettes anthology film-thing and that i've heard his name referenced in pop culture before.

didn't he do a guest spot on the Simpsons one time?

#387 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted Today, 12:19 PM

Not sure about the guest spot on the Simpsons. Although it really wouldn't surprise me. I always regret not being a bigger fan of the Simpsons. A lot of artists I respect have made guest appearances on there in the past. 

At some point I need to watch the shit out of that show lol. 

But I'm pretty sure Dead Man is still on Netflix, so if you get a chance and watch it let me know what you thought about it. Jim has one of the freshest cinematic styles out there. Oddly enough I'm pretty sure he's collaborated with Wu Tang before too. The GZA and RZA both make an appearance in Coffee and Cigarettes in a segment with Bill Murray. Also RZA did the OST and makes a cameo for Jarmusch's film Ghost Dog. 

Also how the fuck do you pronounce Jarmusch? I used to pronounce it like Jar Moosh. Then I heard someone pronounce it jar mush then I heard someone else pronounce it jar mish lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Goodz047