368 replies to this topic

#361 Batou_84

Batou_84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Art, Tree, The Major's Thighs, Bitching Togusa

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:23 AM

I'll definitely check that one out! I just added it to my watch this year list lol

I really need to see Red Beard, Dersu Uzala, Madadayo, Dreams, and The Hidden Fortress as well. Then I'll be just about caught up on his filmography.

Wow...youve saved one of his best for last with Hidden Fortress...super unique and ahead of its time movie which incidentally greatly influenced Star Wars...at least with some elements of the story. I really liked Dersu a lot too(has one of my favorite kurosawa shots) but I like movies about like man vs wilderness subject matter so I was bias...man I may watch Hidden Fortress again tonight...such a fun film.

#362 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop and Film
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/thejackal2011

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:09 PM

Wow...youve saved one of his best for last with Hidden Fortress...super unique and ahead of its time movie which incidentally greatly influenced Star Wars...at least with some elements of the story. I really liked Dersu a lot too(has one of my favorite kurosawa shots) but I like movies about like man vs wilderness subject matter so I was bias...man I may watch Hidden Fortress again tonight...such a fun film.

I'm really excited about Hidden Fortress, I'm so overdue for it. I really have no good excuse as to why I haven't watched it yet. It's been on hulu forever now. I heard about it influencing Star Wars, and remember seeing a shot comparison years ago about it as well.  I have no idea how I'll see Dersu Uzala though. I'm a little skeptical to get the Kino DVD. I'm really hoping it gets a criterion release in the near future. 

#363 Batou_84

Batou_84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Art, Tree, The Major's Thighs, Bitching Togusa

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

oddly enough as great as High & Low is when you mentioned it I started thinking of The Bad Sleep Well and it took me a while to watch that but that is an excellent film as well. A different albeit Brilliant performance by Mifune.

#364 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop and Film
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/thejackal2011

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

Yeah absolutely. I know The Bad Sleep Well isn't considered to be one of Kurosawa's best, but I lt's one of my favorites. I love all of his Shakespeare adaptations. Ran is better I think, but I haven't seen Ran in so long. The last time I watched The Bad Sleep Well really put me there. It was more immersive to me than some of Kurosawa's more well loved works. Same with Throne of Blood. Kurosawa is really a master of every aspect of filmmaking. His cinematography, his brilliant control of mood and atmosphere, the way he conveys emotion, and of course he always get's great performances from his actors. As well respected as Kurosawa is, I always feel as though he's somehow underrated. 

Anyway, yeah, my point is I feel he has some of the best adaptations of Shakespeare. I've never seen a Shakespeare adaptation better than Throne of Blood. I like Polanski's adaptation of Macbeth, but Throne of Blood is just so damn atmospheric. Plus to me it does more and in a much shorter span of time too. 

And yeah I love Mifune's performance in The Bad Sleep Well. He really sells the role. It's a nuanced performance, and it's not an easy performance to sell. He can seem like a wimpy businessman but also seem very menacing, and emotionally scarred all at the same time.

#365 Fire Ice Lord

Fire Ice Lord

Rookie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

Hey Have any of yall seen beyond the black rainbow? It's a scifi movie from 2012 or 13. It's one of those movie you either don't get at all and think is fucking stupid or you think it's amazing. It's on netflix last I checked, and had a rating of like 1.5 stars lol. The visuals are amazing as well as the sound design, and the ending is perfect imo (that's one thing a lot of people criticize). It's super slow paced but it's only about 90 minutes, and I think it helps you take in the atmosphere. Haven't been following this thread so I don't know if this movie has been discussed. Oh and also snow piercer is another dope scifi that's also on Netflix.

#366 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:47 PM

director.jpg?resize=750%2C958

director2.jpg?resize=750%2C496

• The Jackal and Batou_84 like this

#367 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:54 PM

just watched Meet Wally Sparks last night for the first time -- where's Criterion's version of that shit?!?!???!

haha

#368 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:53 AM

Hey Have any of yall seen beyond the black rainbow? It's a scifi movie from 2012 or 13. It's one of those movie you either don't get at all and think is fucking stupid or you think it's amazing. It's on netflix last I checked, and had a rating of like 1.5 stars lol. The visuals are amazing as well as the sound design, and the ending is perfect imo (that's one thing a lot of people criticize). It's super slow paced but it's only about 90 minutes, and I think it helps you take in the atmosphere. Haven't been following this thread so I don't know if this movie has been discussed. Oh and also snow piercer is another dope scifi that's also on Netflix.

I posted about this a while back, thought heads on here would appreciate it. Can't say I loved it but I was mesmerized by the visuals and score. Definitely a rare type of film in today's cinema.

#369 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted Yesterday, 11:21 PM

I'm rewatching the place beyond the pines right now, which IMO is an incredible film

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users