362 replies to this topic

#361 Batou_84

Batou_84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Art, Tree, The Major's Thighs, Bitching Togusa

Posted Today, 05:23 AM

I'll definitely check that one out! I just added it to my watch this year list lol

I really need to see Red Beard, Dersu Uzala, Madadayo, Dreams, and The Hidden Fortress as well. Then I'll be just about caught up on his filmography.

Wow...youve saved one of his best for last with Hidden Fortress...super unique and ahead of its time movie which incidentally greatly influenced Star Wars...at least with some elements of the story. I really liked Dersu a lot too(has one of my favorite kurosawa shots) but I like movies about like man vs wilderness subject matter so I was bias...man I may watch Hidden Fortress again tonight...such a fun film.

#362 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop and Film
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/thejackal2011

Posted Today, 01:09 PM

Wow...youve saved one of his best for last with Hidden Fortress...super unique and ahead of its time movie which incidentally greatly influenced Star Wars...at least with some elements of the story. I really liked Dersu a lot too(has one of my favorite kurosawa shots) but I like movies about like man vs wilderness subject matter so I was bias...man I may watch Hidden Fortress again tonight...such a fun film.

I'm really excited about Hidden Fortress, I'm so overdue for it. I really have no good excuse as to why I haven't watched it yet. It's been on hulu forever now. I heard about it influencing Star Wars, and remember seeing a shot comparison years ago about it as well.  I have no idea how I'll see Dersu Uzala though. I'm a little skeptical to get the Kino DVD. I'm really hoping it gets a criterion release in the near future. 

#363 Batou_84

Batou_84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Art, Tree, The Major's Thighs, Bitching Togusa

Posted Today, 03:59 PM

oddly enough as great as High & Low is when you mentioned it I started thinking of The Bad Sleep Well and it took me a while to watch that but that is an excellent film as well. A different albeit Brilliant performance by Mifune.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users