First and foremost, R.I.P. Bobby Womack. I had the samples for this picked before I got the news (confident, eh), so unfortunately I don't have anything tribute-like in store. Maybe next week?
And after that, wow, you guys. Thank you. Getting a win after spending so little time in here feels amazing. There are some incredible beatmakers here and the whole community is just top notch. Feels like home already! Thanks again!
So, let's start
The rules are going to be fairly simple, with one little twist concerning percussive elements. Five main samples, all IMO very dope, hope you like them too!
1. Time limit: 2 MINUTES (worked well the last time)
2. Outside instrumentation (synth / bass / vox / samples): ALLOWED
3. Outside drums: KICKS AND SNARES ALLOWED ONLY (explained below)
4. Use at least one of the samples found here: http://www45.zippysh...04260/file.html
5. SPECIAL RULE: For percussion (other than kicks and snares) use these sounds that I recorded at my house: http://www45.zippysh...08615/file.html
That's right, it's field recording time! I've been a fan of home made sounds for a while now, and I want to spread the love. So you'll find all kinds of percussive weirdness in that file, all made with regular household items (and with the help of my dog, at one point). You theoretically could make a beat with just kicks and snares and that would fit the rules, but what fun would that be? So, I hope you can get some dope stuff out of these!
1. An unnamed track by me That's an export of one of my more ambient instrumental songs (minus the drums). No outside sample there.
2. Roger Webb / Ole Kurt Jensen (not sure which one) - Exotica. The song I have on my computer says it's Roger Webb but http://www.youtube.c...h?v=78F6WPe4Jzg has listed it as Ole Kurt Jensen. Same song though.
3. Alan Hawkshaw - Saturn Rings. Couldn't resist putting some Hawkshaw in there, he is one of my favourite composers. Some ultra dope stuff.
4. Nobuo Uematsu - Eclipse of Time (Harp Version). From the soundtrack of the very underrated XBOX360 JRPG Lost Odyssey. Uematsu is a genius and one of my idols. The man composed all the classic Final Fantasy OST's, basically the soundtrack of my childhood.
5. Joe Hisaishi - The Name of Life (Instrumental). From the Spirited Away soundtrack. Hisaishi is another of my Japanese idols. The man behind all the classic Studio Ghibli soundtracks. Beautiful, beautiful music.
Extra treat: some people were wondering about how to pronounce my name, and I'm not surprised You can hear it here at roughly 0:24 (not said by me though): http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KGmlXF3aHnk . It's my friends album teaser. Here's the track we did for the album over a Boon Doc beat: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=u4hGE-3F964, I'm the second dude rapping. Some finnish hip hop treats for ya.
The Fine Print:
Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "STBB 382" in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Wednesday at Midnight PACIFIC time. For easy listening sake, you may also add it to the Stones Throw Beat Battle Soundcloud Group.
Vote - by Friday at Midnight PACIFIC time
Winner: post new sample, rules, etc - by Saturday Noon NYC time and upload the sample here: http://www.zippyshare.com