• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

I'm digging what Egon, J. Rocc, JJ and, yes even House Shoes are doing with the Pay Jay stuff they've been putting out. And I'm definitely looking forward to finally hearing the MCA project since I'm one of three people who didn't go out and dl it.

Regarding ST, I remember an interview with Wolf a few years back where he basically said he didn't really want to put out anything else by Dilla bc he didn't want it to seem like they were trying to abuse his legacy or something along those lines.
  • Dirty Cyclist likes this

#32 Grifty

Grifty

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Wolf-if ANYBODY is gonna put out dilla. If it HAS to be done... I think we can all agree stones throw would be the only label we would really trust to do it
  • Dirty Cyclist likes this

#33 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

peanut_butter_wolf_lead.jpg

^ dat link to dat interview.

a few quotes:

"It comes down to Ma Dukes, though. She makes all of the decisions, so it would have to come from her. She was with him in his final days and was sleeping on a cot in his room. She took care of him so much. If I was ever presented with doing something that would upset her, I just wouldn’t do it."

"That’s a weird thing for me. I don’t want to criticize people for doing it, but sometimes it can get a little corny. With all of the tribute stuff, I kind of avoid it for the most part. I’m actually doing his birthday party tribute on Tuesday (February 7), which is a video tribute—which is something I’ve never done. I haven’t ever done a video tribute for him, so I was up for that. But I don’t ever aggressively seek out doing Dilla gigs, because sometimes it just gets self-serving."

"And that’s why we kind of fell back after DonutsDonuts was such a huge success and we could’ve put out The Pizza Man right after it, and capitalized on it monetarily, but I felt kind of strange about it. It was just wrong in my eyes. I’ve always battled with that."

so instead, we will never get the pizza man.

• OfficeTime8889 and Dirty Cyclist like this

#34 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

integrity in the record biz? You go PB Wolf...

#35 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop and Film
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/the-jackals_url

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

I see a lot of negative talk about posthumous Dilla releases. What did you guys think of Dillagence? I myself find myself listening to that release quite a bit. It's easily one of my favorite posthumous releases.

#36 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:20 PM

any word on how this sounded? anything new?

#37 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:11 PM

I see a lot of negative talk about posthumous Dilla releases. What did you guys think of Dillagence? I myself find myself listening to that release quite a bit. It's easily one of my favorite posthumous releases.

​Dillagence was cool.  My one gripe with it (in retrospect) is that it was released casually, without any real promotion nor purpose.  From what I remember in listening to ​Dillagence, a good grip of the beats were new (to me) and exceptionally dope.  Would have liked to have seen them released with more focus, maybe even licensed for other artists / projects.  I LOVE the Dilla and Busta collab but a whole full-length Busta project gets stale pretty quick –– except for The Coming that is.  

#38 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:34 PM

Yeah Dillagence is up there with some of my most-listened to Dilla projects. I think it comes down to Busta knowing Dilla personally so he knew where he was coming from musically and what he was trying to do with the art form, as opposed to the posthumous releases where it was just some rando rapper verbally diarrhea-ing over the beat.

#39 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:46 PM

peanut_butter_wolf_lead.jpg

^ dat link to dat interview.

a few quotes:

"It comes down to Ma Dukes, though. She makes all of the decisions, so it would have to come from her. She was with him in his final days and was sleeping on a cot in his room. She took care of him so much. If I was ever presented with doing something that would upset her, I just wouldn’t do it."

"That’s a weird thing for me. I don’t want to criticize people for doing it, but sometimes it can get a little corny. With all of the tribute stuff, I kind of avoid it for the most part. I’m actually doing his birthday party tribute on Tuesday (February 7), which is a video tribute—which is something I’ve never done. I haven’t ever done a video tribute for him, so I was up for that. But I don’t ever aggressively seek out doing Dilla gigs, because sometimes it just gets self-serving."

"And that’s why we kind of fell back after DonutsDonuts was such a huge success and we could’ve put out The Pizza Man right after it, and capitalized on it monetarily, but I felt kind of strange about it. It was just wrong in my eyes. I’ve always battled with that."

so instead, we will never get the pizza man.

Wolf is the man for that quote.  Incredibly honorable.  Long live Stones Throw!! 

Wolf-if ANYBODY is gonna put out dilla. If it HAS to be done... I think we can all agree stones throw would be the only label we would really trust to do it

I asked House Shoes (via Twitter) what his favorite posthumous Dilla release was and he said ​Jay Stay Paid.  Nature Sounds released that.  Nature Sounds is also behind the Dilla Weekend that takes place here in South Florida.  They didn't release Dillatronic but they promoted it as though they did.  Not sure to what extent they're involved in Dilla's estate and what not but they've probably been the most active as it relates to that.  For what it's worth, they also brought Slum Village (T3, Illa J, and Young RJ) here in 2014.  I'd say they've done a solid job of not making a mockery out of his legacy, though I'm not necessarily fond of most tributes mainly b/c at this point they're exhaustive and exploitative.  

#40 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:31 AM

This makes no sense, unless the record was trash and Wolf just didn't want to admit it. 

#41 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:16 PM

Abracadabra || from Waajeed's IG and HouseShoe's Twitter

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-15%20at%201.09.4

#42 Low Hiss

Low Hiss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Wax (both meanings^^), Vintage samplers, Good music
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/low-hiss

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:10 AM

Has anyone from the board bought this boxset or heard the floppy beat? I got an SP and I would love to get my hands on that floppy but I already have some of the wax and 200€ is more than I can justify for that.

Holla at me if you're willing to sell the floppy and/or rip it.
I could even buy it, make a copy and send the original back to you so your boxset is complete.

#43 Jubito

Jubito

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Interests:40 & A BLUNT, light1up, light the doobie 'till it glow like a ruby
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jubitoo

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:51 AM

New release:

Jay Dee a.k.a. J Dilla 'The King of Beats', Vol. 2: Lost Scrolls

https://itunes.apple...es&ign-mpt=uo=4

• PADYBU likes this

#44 PADYBU

PADYBU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:beats.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/padybu

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:51 AM

New release:

Jay Dee a.k.a. J Dilla 'The King of Beats', Vol. 2: Lost Scrolls

https://itunes.apple...es&ign-mpt=uo=4

King of Beats Vol  2: Lost Scrolls? like that 2013 EP The Lost Scrolls vol. 1?

39 - I don't think I've heard it, sounds like a remix of a beat from Another Batch, like the sample sample
40 - definitely heard this one before, where is it from? did questlove play the snippet on his redbull lecture?
41 - New to me
42 - Sexy Ways from The New Slave (1999).  The tracks that were on Dillatronic that were from The New Slave tape were lower quality than what we have, they probably tried reducing hiss which may sound good on paper but it lessens quality in the highs.
43 - I'm So Glad You're Dorothy from The New Slave (1999) (btw one of the most skillful beats I've ever heard) I hear hiss reduction here too though.
44 - New to me
45 - New to me
46 - New to me
47 - Dunnin It Kalimba from The New Slave (1999)
48 - New to me
49 - New to me
50 - Whistler from V.3 (2005) (released by bling47) this King of Beats version is sped up and has worse audio quality
51 - New to me
52 - New to me
53 - New to me
54 - Track 28 - Another Batch (1998)

I'm happy with this release, there are downsides like the audio quality for the tracks we already have but the rare ones sound amazing, I can't wait for its release.

• bamajoe likes this

#45 bamajoe

bamajoe

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:42 AM

^39. sounds like the instr. for one of the Ray J/Let It Go remixes

• PADYBU likes this

#46 PADYBU

PADYBU