38 replies to this topic

#31 quikfit

quikfit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

I really dont like this egon cat..dont see whats so significant about him..he name drops, acts arrogant, looks boyish, has this annoying eager personality...seems like he's constantly trying to prove that he's cool by naming all these famous and talented people he hangs with...but whats his talent, why does he even have fame? I know i am dropping a lot of hate here, and you guys seem to love this cat, but i am actually asking here ... whats the deal? some one fill me in. 

Aleister - you have got to be kidding?!? Do some research before you drop so much (self-acknowledge) hate. Egon was huge part of ST. To be fair, there as been a falling out and no longer works for the label. (Not sure why this post is in the ST section at all.....)
I think it's wild he wasn't in the ST Doc at all, but they were the creative behind it, so fair enough....
Anyway, here is a bio from the Now Again site: http://www.nowagainrecords.com/egon/
Points to note would be:
- Stones Throw Records General Manager from 2000-2011
- Producer, A&R, and Manager
- contributor to respected music publications 
- Creative Director of the J Dilla Estate
- Partners with Madlib in Madlib Invazion
- Owner of Now-Again Records (in my opinion one of the best independent labels around today)

Dude does a lot of work from finding interesting new talent, to reissuing some incredible music that might otherwise be lost....

• GC90 and Templar like this

#32 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

Egon straight boyish though

#33 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:23 PM

ST Artist....

https://www.stonesth...the-evil-badger

All the things the guy does as mentioned in recent posts just - Do your research and you will see that Egon.... is an Egonist. Cutting his own lane.

• Dirty Cyclist likes this

#34 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

name dropping is if you see a celebrity in a club and talk about it, what he does is oral history son. (among the rest of what's been said)

#35 AleisterBenway

AleisterBenway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:48 PM

" ...here is a bio from the Now Again site..."

exactly my point. Do you see anywhere on this website PBW's list of credentials posted? Of course not, because that is just lame and ridiculous . And this type of annoying self-important, self-promoting attitude is displayed in every interview i see of him. Seems very reminiscent of that pete marriot  dude on these boards; who yall seem to hate for exactly the reasons i dislike Egon. Sure he's accomplished some cool shit, i dig his label, i'll give him that ... but for christ's sake, he just needs to take it easy and infest in some modesty. Now watch a PBW interview ... modest, soft spoken, hesitate to talk about himself ...reserved. Egon is just plain off-putting; regardless of his mildly impressive credentials. 

#36 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:18 PM

i really am confused. your main point seems to be that Egon is some kind of shameless, self-promoting, bragging dick.

could you pull some quotes that highlight this? I've never once gotten this impression. A dude being interviewed is going to talk about the people he's worked with and hung with... who are these names he's apparently dropping so flagrantly and without warrant? the Madlib? Dilla? Van Peebles? I literally have no idea what you're on about with this...

Dude's eager because he's passionate about music, and sharing music. If you just don't like his general personality in the few interviews we have with him, eh you're entitled to your opinion on that I suppose. don't let him sit with you at the lunch table I guess...

PBW's a different guy, and you wanna talk self-aggrandizing how about cutting the 10-year general manager (Egon) out of the self-produced Stones Throw documentary? No offense to Wolf, but he seems to lay back in the cut most of the time now, making power moves like signing new acts, whereas Egon, to me, seems like he's got feet on the ground, running around doing a new thing every month.

• GC90 likes this

#37 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted Today, 09:00 AM

We get it; you hate Egon.

Obviously nothing can be said to change your mind, toeachizown.

I just know that the handful of times I've got to talk to him face to face he comes across as a very sincere and passionate individual who loves the same music I do. And in my book, regardless if you're just some dude at the record store counter or The Madlib's manager, those people get props over here.
  • GC90 likes this

#38 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted Today, 10:24 AM

^ summed it up.

slow clap begins

#39 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted Today, 01:17 PM

The comparison to PBW is kinda funny. From what I've seen/read about PBW, it seems like PBW is kind of an asshole while I haven't heard anything bad about Egon at all.

As far as talking about who he has worked with/etc, it's kind of the point of an interview with him I would think. As a manager/record label owner/etc etc dude, not sure what else you'd talk to him about in an interview besides his record collection/other interests. That's the difference between Egon and Pete who you compare him to, Egon is on the more business/promotion part of things (and has great credentials/etc) whereas Pete's a musician going on and on as some type of industry know it all with very little backing it up.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Grifty-Rodriguez, Abracadaver