jax green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

tumblr_inline_n4ejyayPqg1rirs9l.jpg

Hey all, 

As some of you may know, I've been posting my music on the STMB for years. You guys have always given me great feedback (both positive and negative), and I really appreciate it. I recently dropped a new beat tape, full of melodic surf rock samples, drum breaks and all that good stuff. You can listen to it here:

http://flyrtreynolds...52/garden-beats

Would really appreciate your feedback again if you have a spare few minutes. If not, no biggie at all. Peace!

#2 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

Just bumped the whole thing and I'm about to throw it on repeat. Stellar release man. Your beats are quite lovely. Now, how do I get a sticker?

#3 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

...so i haven't been here long enough to know who this guy is, but i'm assuming he gets a pass.  what can i say?  dude's post was pretty humble, and these beats are dope-- i mean, i'm not a monster lol.  and i'm certainly not the STMB Hype Police, so whatevs.

#4 jax green

jax green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

...so i haven't been here long enough to know who this guy is, but i'm assuming he gets a pass.  what can i say?  dude's post was pretty humble, and these beats are dope-- i mean, i'm not a monster lol.  and i'm certainly not the STMB Hype Police, so whatevs.

Ah shit, you're right—posted it in the wrong thread! Maybe the STMB bot can fix that. Good looking out.

Just bumped the whole thing and I'm about to throw it on repeat. Stellar release man. Your beats are quite lovely. Now, how do I get a sticker?

Appreciate it, bud. Send me a message with your street digits and I'll send some over.

• James Frank. likes this

#5 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

i'm certainly not the STMB Hype Police.

We both know that's not true...
  • James Frank. likes this

#6 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

how do i cop?  i don't stream

• SunnyMeadowz likes this

#7 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Yo jax, 

I tried dropping you a pm but I think your inbox is full. I posted my address over here though...

Btw, I just found that Minnie Riperton album in this massive pile of wax I got for free this past weekend and I have to say that is one of the most amazing LPs I've heard.

#8 jax green

jax green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

how do i cop?  i don't stream

Sorry, man. As much as I'd love to give this one out, I'm eventually trying to get some MCs on these tracks. I'm not really concerned about losing a profit (never make money off this shit anyway), but I am concerned about weak MCs snatching up my beats.

Yo jax, 

I tried dropping you a pm but I think your inbox is full. I posted my address over here though...

Btw, I just found that Minnie Riperton album in this massive pile of wax I got for free this past weekend and I have to say that is one of the most amazing LPs I've heard.

Ah, havent checked that shit in a minute! But thanks for the address—will send some your way soon. And yeah, that Minnie album is AMAZING.

#9 Jimmyfunkvalve

Jimmyfunkvalve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

i'm certainly not the STMB Hype Police, so whatevs.

shit had me laughing too.

jax, i got to get some sleep but these are some trustworthy recommendations so it's on my to-do list tomorrow.

not that it's some kind of chore.

#10 jax green

jax green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

shit had me laughing too.

jax, i got to get some sleep but these are some trustworthy recommendations so it's on my to-do list tomorrow.

not that it's some kind of chore.

Whenever you get around to it is cool—no worries!

#11 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Art, Advertising, Graphic Design, Photography....
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/leftfoot1st

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:47 AM

Great stuff, keep it up... God Bless

#12 AzMatic

AzMatic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Rap/Hip-Hop, Basketball, Retro Video Games, Graphic Art, Books, TV & Movies, Music in General.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/ryan-bingham-2/

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

Sorry, man. As much as I'd love to give this one out, I'm eventually trying to get some MCs on these tracks. I'm not really concerned about losing a profit (never make money off this shit anyway), but I am concerned about weak MCs snatching up my beats.

When you're ready to get MCs on it, feel free to check me out. You got some really good beats. I don't have much stuff out now but I'm working on it. Anyway your Idiosyncrasies beat is fire! This guy Al Dali flipped the same sample but he used your main sample as his intro and your intro as his main sample. And I felt like he should have switched it up and done it the way you did. Great job!

#13 jax green

jax green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

When you're ready to get MCs on it, feel free to check me out. You got some really good beats. I don't have much stuff out now but I'm working on it. Anyway your Idiosyncrasies beat is fire! This guy Al Dali flipped the same sample but he used your main sample as his intro and your intro as his main sample. And I felt like he should have switched it up and done it the way you did. Great job!

Appreciate it! Send me some stuff when you have some material out, and we can go from there.

Also, wanted to ask you all, what do you think of the idea of getting this pressed on vinyl? I've been talking with a nearby pressing plant, and I can't decide whether I want to pull the trigger. My friends all say do it, but you guys can be more objective: Should I get this pressed? Or is this more of a one-off beat tape type-of-thing that should stay online?

#14 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

I think you should do it. Maybe a pretty limited amount though. It seems like this project meant a lot and if so I think it'd be dope to have it physical format.
  • AzMatic likes this

#15 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:16 AM

Appreciate it! Send me some stuff when you have some material out, and we can go from there.

Also, wanted to ask you all, what do you think of the idea of getting this pressed on vinyl? I've been talking with a nearby pressing plant, and I can't decide whether I want to pull the trigger. My friends all say do it, but you guys can be more objective: Should I get this pressed? Or is this more of a one-off beat tape type-of-thing that should stay online?

personally i wouldnt, i dont mean this in an offensive way but do you think your in a position to shift 200/300 vinyl? do you have enough of a fan base? does this fan base even buy vinyl? i would hate to think of you stuck with a big stack of vinyl, just as a comparison flying lotus gave away his cptn murphy album online then used twitter and facebook to gauge whether it was worth pressing up, the decision is of course up to you if your confident of shiting the records then go for your guns

#16 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:17 AM

for the record i like the beats im not trying to be hatefull just offering my thoughts

#17 jax green

jax green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

for the record i like the beats im not trying to be hatefull just offering my thoughts

No worries at all, man—thanks for giving me your honest opinion!

For the record, I don't have much of a fan base at all. But, I wouldn't be trying to ship hundreds of copies—this would probably be a 40-50 copy thing. Some pretty talented MCs—Blue Scholars, Grynch, Brothers from Another—have already snatched beats from it, so I'm now thinking that one side of the vinyl will be the instrumentals and the other will be the tracks with vocals.

#18 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

how does the cost of pressing and artwork/mastering etc work out on the sale price? or to rephrase that how much are you going to have to sell them at to break even?

#19 jax green

jax green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

how does the cost of pressing and artwork/mastering etc work out on the sale price? or to rephrase that how much are you going to have to sell them at to break even?

The main cost associated with vinyl pressing is in creating the template. The actual copies don't actually cost that much; so, for example, getting 60 copies as opposed to 40 copies wouldn't be that big of a jump. It's all about creating the first mold.

With that said, none of this is really about the money, but if I wanted to break even I would have to charge the records for around $25 or $30.

#20 AzMatic

AzMatic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Rap/Hip-Hop, Basketball, Retro Video Games, Graphic Art, Books, TV & Movies, Music in General.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/ryan-bingham-2/

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:03 AM

I think what Jax is trying to do (correct me if I'm wrong) is just put it out on vinyl for the fun of it. Try something new, branch out, experiment, etc. It's not really about the profit as much as exploring stuff. If that's the case, I say go for it. Plus if you got people like Blue Scholars on it (which is dope btw, big ups for that) you could probably move a decent number of records anyway.

#21 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

I think what Jax is trying to do (correct me if I'm wrong) is just put it out on vinyl for the fun of it. Try something new, branch out, experiment, etc. It's not really about the profit as much as exploring stuff. If that's the case, I say go for it. Plus if you got people like Blue Scholars on it (which is dope btw, big ups for that) you could probably move a decent number of records anyway.

yeah i get what he's saying, if i could afford to put an album on vinyl for fun id have done it along time ago

• AzMatic likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beat tape, instrumental, flyrt reynolds, hip-hop, soul, melodic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users