8 replies to this topic

#1 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

so i have beatkonducta in india in mp3 from the internet its 87mb and i just ripped beatkonducta in india from my cd in WAV 670mb. but really i cant not hear the difference lol. maybe because i listing from my Macbook 3.5 inplug ? or do you hear a diffrence when you djing and use a good mixer ?

#2 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

a good pair of headphones or a proper set of monitor speakers will let you hear the difference.

i admit it is a subtle difference because as you get older, everything past 16khz gets lost. but, with MP3 encoding, everything past 15khz gets completely removed. WAVs are uncompressed audio/lossless and MP3s are very compressed (and sometimes poorly encoded) lossy format.

now, having said that. i feel that if you know how to encode an MP3 properly (LAME encode settings) MP3 is the preferred method for distribution at this time. MP3s are what people want and is the format that will serve them the best without having to mess with encoding.

if youre a producer that makes beats, you want that WAV tho. messing with MP3s in a DAW just adds more work to be done behind the scenes. the DAW is going to have to decode the MP3 on the fly instead of dealing with uncompressed audio.

so, if you are just listening to music, MP3 all-day. but, if youre trying to flip a sample, best to find that WAV or make it from a  vinyl/CD

#3 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

i really don't hear the supposed diff...and if it's only in the 16khz + range, who wants to hear more treble lol?  there's nothing i hate more than sharp noises in a mix.  makes my ears feel like they're being jabbed with spiky, barbed snake wieners.

#4 Jimmyfunkvalve

Jimmyfunkvalve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

am I correct in thinking that every time you open & re-save an mp3 the quality deteriorates, much like a jpeg?

if you're making music using mp3 as the sample source it's not gonna sound the best due to this.

I'm sure on big club speakers you'd notice the difference, even with my busted ears.

that's what i was led to believe anyway...

#5 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:15 AM

lol so i ripped it for nothing from my cd. if i rip funk or soul from cd ! and i want to sample the music do i need to rip it in stereo of mono ???

#6 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:21 AM

Everything was fine before MP3, now you listen and get tired ears ? (worked this one out, it's coming) CD still tiring but not as much, it is still compressed, and vinyl and tape are the way and always will be. 

A long time ago the frequency for music to be tuned was 432hz at A, now it is 440hz at A, basically we will never hear or feel the connection with music we were meant to, some musicians have found this out and are trying to get it changed back. I'm really gonna let the cat out the bag now.

If a total number adds up to 9 like 432, it's part of sacred geometry 432 is 54 cycles of 8. 8hz is the frequency that balances and harmonises both sides of the brain, yes 440 adds to 8 but it is not a recurring number that breaks into other numbers, e.g 72 is 9 x 8, 144 is 18 x 8 if it adds to a decimal point, it's a distortion of positivity within sound like 10.80hz will induce riotuos behaviour, 6.6hz will cause depression, now can I get any eq to boost at 432 alone, no they all seem to be set in frequency bands like 432.2, this isn't by accident. How many times have you been at a club or a gig for some tune to drop and the effects on the crowd are the same, it can go further with some people needing to drink alcohol the whole time at a venue, due to the frequencies literally making them need it, or the over sexed female that can't control herself but once out the club, she's okay.

This is worth looking at http://www.schilleri...c/articles.html

This is a diagram of the Golden mean spiral..http://www.neuroscie...-mean-brain.htm

This is the cochlea that sits in your head that process'es the sound http://www.apollolif...undDeafnes.aspx

Yes your more important and sacred than when you first woke up this morning as you now can see you are designed to soak up sacred sound, but it is a little hard when the controllers are taking all the healing properties out of sound, and replacing it with frequencies that make you tired sick or really angry, you might not hear a lot of frequencies, but you should be able to feel them and the subtle changes your mood will go through. The frequency spectrum can control different parts of your body.

MP3's are only the preferred format for companies, certainly not us as they make us really ill.If any one can find an EQ that will let you pick what frequencies you really want, then I'd love to know what it is.

#7 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:36 AM

just rip losless flac if you  wanna be hardcore. 320 is good enough anyways

#8 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:56 AM

Mp3 encoding removes 'information' right across the frequency spectrum, it is not just a case of high end roll off. (Many of our favourite classic hiphop albums of the 90's and early 00's have a pronounced roll off after 15khz anyway due to the tech and recording mediums used in their creation, particularly east coast stuff.)

I can't claim to be able to pick out format consistently (I got a friend to blind test me and I was correct about 55%) but I definitely get listening fatigue from listening to mp3 for anything over 30 mins in a way that rarely happens with CD, and never with vinyl.

If you work with audio get an mp3 of something you have on CD and compare the waveforms in your daw on separate tracks. Place a filter or eq on each and notice the difference as you sweep across the frequency spectrum.

If you have less than perfect hearing, and/or you do most of your listening on earbuds in noisy environments, or on (no disrespect) shitty speakers in a space that has poor acoustic fidelity, your ability to discern a difference will be reduced.

There are many people who are not happy with mp3 whatever the resolution, and do not find it to be 'good enough'.

All that said, creativity trumps fidelity and there is doubtless really good music being made and played as mp3. There are a few things I have been forced to download because they are not available in hard format or as uncompressed files.

#9 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:29 AM

Yeah that roll off is true when you look at the samplers used the roll off on the s950 or sp1200 says it all, then it went to computers, and the sound changed, and got louder and louder and louder. :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users