• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

I live in south FL and this past weekend was what The Stage (in Miami) called, "Stones Throw Weekend":
  - 4/25 Peanut Butter Wolf performed a 3-hour long DJ set  
  - 4/26 Dam-Funk performed the following day 

Although I wasn't able to make it to the DF show I did have the pleasure of meeting PBW, having him sign he and Charizma's Big Shots, take a quick photo with him, and ask him a couple of questions.  The most impactful comments of his came when I asked him if he had any advice for myself as a music business student.  He advised to simply stay on course with [your] aspirations.  He said that before his ventures became lucrative and nationally/ internationally renown as they are today, he encountered some opposition from family and friends, but he remained persistent.  These are really simple and otherwise cliché words but the fact that they came directly from PBW adds that much more weight to them...for me at least.  

I thought some of you could appreciate this brief story so I shared it.  Anyways, share your encounters with some of the artists (celebrities if you will) that you've had throughout your life on this post, pictures of signed phonorecords you've gotten, and photos you've taken of artists.

• mangoes cash and James Frank. like this

#2 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

i always feel like i'm inconveniencing them, so i don't really approach them ever...probably not the best way to do things, but i'm a shy little boy to begin with so i don't really know how all that even works.  like what am i supposed to do, ask the merch guy if i can meet the artist haha?  i'd feel very douchy doing that.

#3 Jimmyfunkvalve

Jimmyfunkvalve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

I don't have many signed records, but I went to a Mayer Hawthorne gig in Bilbao in 2010, he was signing stuff after the show, so i bought the lp, got a signature. Tried to chat with him a bit as there weren't that many people around but i got the impression he would rather have been talking to the ladies. fair enough so i left him to it.

Attached File  MHLP.jpg   62.63KB   0 downloads

on my way out i had to do a double take, like wtf, I recognise that guy, went over, shit, it's Primo! got my pic taken and had a good music talk, mostly about mid 80s uk indie bands (i'd read he was a smiths fan). Really nice guy, very approachable. you can see how happy i was. I floated home.

Attached File  Me&Primo.jpg   82.64KB   1 downloads

Because of the job I used to do, I've been fortunate to meet and work with a few other folks in the music biz, some nice, some not so nice. the other Chris Martin (the coldplay one) was one of the nicest, most genuine but that was way before he got it on with Gwynny and became a megastar. Mike D was not so friendly, unfortunately. Bernard Sumner of New Order was a fucking great laugh, spent 3 or 4 days working on a record sleeve with him and he was constantly hitting on the girls in our office. On the same project I got to meet Johnny Marr who was the simply the coolest. Got to hang in the studio with zero7 a fair bit when i worked on their sleeves. Chill guys. hmm there were others but those are the ones that spring to mind.

Also i don't really have any shame about approaching celebs on the street, unless they're having a private family moment or something, they're generally pretty cool people and let's face it, most of them love the attention. Most of them anyway, i remember being 11 or 12 years old and asking Bob Geldof for an autograph as he sat outside a cafe on Kings Rd, he signed it then told me to fuck off. The same day I met Spike Milligan who was cool as fuck, so that more than made up for it! I really need to find my autograph book from those days.

Jeez I sound like a fucking stalker here, but I just think, fuck it, I like that person's work and I'm gonna tell them, what have i got to lose? They're only people too. The worst they can do is get their bodyguard to beat me down lol.

Sorry for the long-ass post, but you did ask.

• OfficeTime8889 likes this

#4 Jimmyfunkvalve

Jimmyfunkvalve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

shit i forgot to mention the night i spent out on the piss in London with PUTS.

Thes One was very good company while Double K wouldn't stop complaining very vocally about the lack of weed.

I will try not to bore you with any more of these self-glorifying egotistical stories.

#5 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

i always feel like i'm inconveniencing them, so i don't really approach them ever...probably not the best way to do things, but i'm a shy little boy to begin with so i don't really know how all that even works.  like what am i supposed to do, ask the merch guy if i can meet the artist haha?  i'd feel very douchy doing that.

I feel you, man.  I've been to a million shows and been in the presence of many celebrities and what not.  It hasn't been until recently that I cared to make myself known to some of these people.  At the very least nowadays what I'll do is just give them a simple handshake or salute and thank them for playing that night, especially if they're based out of the West Coast or overseas.  

For PBW I was a bit out of my comfort zone in bringing a record to have him sign but at the same time, all things considered, it's not very often that you get to meet someone of his magnitude under such simple circumstances.  I used to look at people who pushed for autographs and photo ops as groupies but that's changed.  Who am I to judge the character and ambitions of another?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users