Here's the sample! http://www31.zippysh...26829/file.html
1. outside bass - YES
2. outside drums - GOD YES (but breakbeats are illegal, by popular demand)
3. outside keys/synth - SURE WHY NOT
4. acapellas/outside samples ok
5. time limit: 90 seconds
6. YOU MUST MAKE A MONOPHONIC BEAT.
That is to say at any given moment, only one sound is playing. Imagine you're using a DAW with only one track to fit every sound on. So no layering, just a straight line all the way through. Whatever method you come up with to actually achieve this is the right one.
1) Any snippet of this week's sample counts as one sound regardless of what's going on in that chop.
2) BREAKBEATS ARE ILLEGAL NOW
Authentic breakbeats (taken from another song's breakdown) are a grey area since they're composed of overlapping sounds. But they're awesome, so they're allowed.
3) My use of "monophonic" is not as the opposite of "stereophonic". It can still be in stereo, panned crazily, etc. Each moment only has room for one sound, however. HOW GODDAMN ZEN, probably. I don't know from zen.
To answer your questions as they've come up:
1) Single synth notes are fine, chords are not.
2) FX are totally fine, just not in a way that breaks rule 6. So like.. sidechain good. Delay bad.
3) Grifty and Birddrop wanted to layer an acapella over an otherwise monophonic beat. It sounds so nice that I'm allowing it. You have the option of including your acapella in the single-sound system, or layering it on top. Acapellas only though.
Thank you again for your votes. Hope you're not sorry now. I have total faith in yall.
Post your beat to the STMB Page - by Wednesday at Midnight NYC time
Vote - by Friday at Midnight NYC time
Winner - post new sample, rules, etc - by Saturday Noon NYC time and upload the sample here: http://www.zippyshare.com