• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AleisterBenway

AleisterBenway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:38 PM

So i found the sample for Homeboys Peace and Love track...the beat is all sample; nothing added, just a loop of a portion of the song. I love the beat, love the song...just wondering, is that a common thing to do? i dont know shit about beat making ; so do producers often just loop songs straight up like thatt?

#2 AleisterBenway

AleisterBenway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:44 PM

also, found the sample on a 45 from some street market in Algiers...i was so psyched when i put that shit on. its a dope song; but good luck finding it. completely random find. shit was like 25 cents as well

#3 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:48 AM

So i found the sample for Homeboys Peace and Love track...the beat is all sample; nothing added, just a loop of a portion of the song. I love the beat, love the song...just wondering, is that a common thing to do? i dont know shit about beat making ; so do producers often just loop songs straight up like thatt?

some of the best hip hop tracks are just straight up loops with nothing added

#4 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,026 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:59 AM

some of the best Madlib tracks are just straight up loops with nothing added

#5 AleisterBenway

AleisterBenway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:13 AM

word..thanks duders...could you point me toward specific Madlib tracks that are just straight loops? do you think of beats made through assembling various samples are superior to a beat made of just one looped sample?

#6 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:25 AM

word..thanks duders...could you point me toward specific Madlib tracks that are just straight loops? do you think of beats made through assembling various samples are superior to a beat made of just one looped sample?

madvillian - 'rhinestone cowboy' -'meatgrinder'
lootpack -'answers'

#7 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:28 AM

as for being superior nah not really, if your a producer/beatmaker and an emcee its easier to do cos you know you can rhyme on it where as if i just looped up a sample for 3 mins with no vocals it would sound boring/repetative, but many times ive found an original sample that someone has used and been suprised that its just a loop

#8 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

i got so many loops but i was afraid people would call them boring i try to keep them at 1:30

#9 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

i feel like straight loops are fine, as long as there's some variation in the loop itself...it's not that hard to do, and if you want to argue that your work is "transformative" of the original work (i.e. in a court case), it's in your best interest to do even the most minimal types of changes that set that shit apart from the source.

a good example that most of us would know about would be the beat for "Deeper" on Piñata. that shit is nearly a straight loop, but Madlib ingeniously throws in a couple gated samples of piano chords just randomly in the middle of the loop/s (it's especially noticeable during the "bridge" part)...or like the track "Making Shit" off that new JJ tape; Jonwayne made an entire beat off of like 7-8 seconds of a song, pitched down and 2-3 loops that last about ~4 bars each. if you listen to the beat you'll hear the vocals switch up every couple of bars from the guy saying "Looooooooongggggggggggg/ Loooooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggggggg-dahhhhh/ Loooooooonnnnnnngggggggg-eahhdhahfad/ Looooooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggggg-all day/ Looooonggggggggg....

^ and so on...shit is as simple as that haha.
  • gEEchieDan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users