111 replies to this topic

#91 ST Bot

ST Bot

STMB Official

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:50 PM

Does it bother anyone that this sentence in the STBB Soundcloud Group info section makes no sense?

"Weekly Beat Battles for producers and beat-makers are user-run competition hosted on the 

Stones Throw Message Board"

I get what it's saying..  I just keep repeating it and it feels all fucked up :P

You are right - it's nonsense.  I wrote something for J0ndis to post there but the words got changed.  

I suggest moving the STBB Soundcloud to this group started by the Stones Throw account. 

https://soundcloud.com/groups/stonesthrowbeatbattles

#92 Heavy Drama

Heavy Drama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:48 AM

That sentence seems an innocent enough mistake. 

I appreciate having one civilian controlling the sc group is potentially problematic should they no longer be available but if ST attempt to migrate the group (4500+ members) to an official account wouldn't they then take responsibility for everything that goes down? The impression is they take no responsibility for the battles due to the potentially complicated human and legal issues which is understandable but has something change?

On a more basic level imo the success of the group is largely down to the amount of work J puts in to keeping it up to date and relevant. Removing spam, handling the many many trivial issues people have, staying knowledgeable and interested in the participants, selecting and managing trust worthy moderators, revising new rules etc will someone at ST take on that role and give it as much attention as he has?

Just some observations I'm curious about regarding this topic.

• Beatronome, dinobeatz and JoaGymshoe like this

#93 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:31 PM

Hey, i have a question for STBB regulars. 

Would you guys please submit beats to ME (grifty.rodriguez@gmail.com) for the STMB Compilations?

Every battler is welcome, and i especially want some of the OG ass battlers on there (you guys know who the fuck i'm talking about).

Get at me!!  Send me BEATS!!!

• James Frank. and gigo like this

#94 dinobeatz

dinobeatz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/dinobeatz

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:35 AM

I was deleting alot of spam, but somebody made a change and am not moderating any more.. Nobody is deleting these spams now.

#95 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:07 PM

Would you guys please submit beats to ME (grifty.rodriguez@gmail.com) for the STMB Compilations?

Every battler is welcome, and i especially want some of the OG ass battlers on there (you guys know who the fuck i'm talking about).

i do have a track i've been working on for you, Grifty...it's just been taking so long because of all the other shit i've gotta deal with irl first.

#96 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

yeah i know me too! 

the offer stands!  i'm full time in college right now, part time machine shop employee and part time sleep lover but i am still committed to this COMP!!!

get at me with tracks!! 

whenever JF hits me with his track i'm gonna put a time limit on further submissions and then spend a bit of time arranging. 

PEACE

#97 gigo

gigo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:you name it
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/nariman-1

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:18 PM

How does one become a Mod here? It would give me great pleasure to yank down tracks that people aren't posting as part of the weekly battle....like, 2 months ago? Really?

#98 JoaGymshoe

JoaGymshoe

Prince Jell-O-Quince

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/joagymshoe

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

That sentence seems an innocent enough mistake. 

I appreciate having one civilian controlling the sc group is potentially problematic should they no longer be available but if ST attempt to migrate the group (4500+ members) to an official account wouldn't they then take responsibility for everything that goes down? The impression is they take no responsibility for the battles due to the potentially complicated human and legal issues which is understandable but has something change?

On a more basic level imo the success of the group is largely down to the amount of work J puts in to keeping it up to date and relevant. Removing spam, handling the many many trivial issues people have, staying knowledgeable and interested in the participants, selecting and managing trust worthy moderators, revising new rules etc will someone at ST take on that role and give it as much attention as he has?

Just some observations I'm curious about regarding this topic.

...hear hear...

#99 ras dude

ras dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:drumming, glaucoma medication, shit from the 70's, podcasts. soundbwoi at breal.tv

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:53 AM

yeah i know me too! 

the offer stands!  i'm full time in college right now, part time machine shop employee and part time sleep lover but i am still committed to this COMP!!!

get at me with tracks!! 

whenever JF hits me with his track i'm gonna put a time limit on further submissions and then spend a bit of time arranging. 

PEACE

I thought that shit was dead. FUck college. 

#100 JoeK

JoeK

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:49 AM

Not really sure how to approach this subject... but over the last few months I've made a purpose-built website for online beat battles which can answer specifically to everything in this thread. It went live 4 weeks ago and we've just started our 4th battle.

Out of respect for ST and especially the people on this forum, I am not going to post any links or sitenames until someone says it's cool to post them!  :mellow: I want to make it super clear that I am not here to try and steal anything away from this forum. It's clearly a tight community here, and that would be stupid.

This is about taking online beat battles to the next level and I'm looking to promote the site here because, if this thread is any indication, I genuinely think you'll be interested to see what we're doing. So far the response from producers has been hugely positive.

countdown_timer.jpg

We've made some pretty radical improvements to the whole idea of online beat battles, things like:

Built in Voting System:

• Fully automatic -- no more counting up forum posts!
  • Super-easy big green vote button, right next to each flip.
  • Rules like "Only one vote" and "No voting for yourself" hardcoded in.

vote_button.jpg

• Weighted voting -- to prevent winning by friends/family-vote
  • Really easy to see who has voted where, right next to each flip.
  • Keeps track of winners forever -- shows people's wins on their profile and right next to their username whenever they enter any future battles.

winning_flip_blurred.jpg

Why not a propper voting system instead of just posting a comment ??

QFT, we thought the same.

Something something something "you HAVE to vote if you battle" something

We're not doing it yet, but a rule like this could easily be enforced automatically -- either disqualification or, say, -5 points or something like that.

User Profiles:
  • 1-click sign in linked to your SoundCloud.
  • Full history of flips made and battles entered, and any wins you've had.
  • Total props you've received, get all tracks you've given props to etc.

Props System:
  • Props are separate to Votes.
  • You can only vote for one flip in each battle.
  • But there are often a few other good ones you want to give some recognition to.
  • That's what Props are for.

props.jpg

There's more but this is getting a bit long (sorry!  :blink:)

Mods or senior members: Please let me know if it's cool to add a link so people can jump over and have a dig around.

edit: just noticed the site name was visible in one of the screenshots! got rid of it now though

Edited by JoeK, 09 May 2015 - 03:59 AM.

#101 JoaGymshoe

JoaGymshoe

Prince Jell-O-Quince

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:05 AM

..we're good as is,  in my humble opinion...

• GPBear and EdTheYounger like this

#102 GPBear

GPBear

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:08 AM

Well that's the tits. I'm not a senior member, but I like beat battles, so PM me the link kindly.

But I'm assuming it's a website that allows all internet beat battles to function within it, in addition to itself having battles?

#103 JoeK

JoeK

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:13 AM

We've only done our own so far, but that's the plan, yeah.

So we'd be able to do things like STMB members only battles, no problem.

#104 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Black Coffee
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/edtheyounger

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:23 AM

I found the site. From what I understand it's just its own set of battles. Neat layout and what not but I prefer the forum method myself. I feel whenever you systemise things too much it takes the human interaction out of the experience to some degree. I get times are moving forward and this is just an intuitive/shiny looking way of doing things, I give you credit on your work in getting this site up and running... But I prefer the no frills simplicity of the forums, however messy they may be at times. Just feels more like a bunch of guys chillin, talking and throwing beats around. Putting a UI in-between that would make it seem a bit lifeless, robotic and stale in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents. 

peace and good luck with your endeavour. 

• JoaGymshoe, GPBear, Julian.Convex and 1 other like this

#105 JoeK

JoeK

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:38 AM

respect that.

#106 JoeK

JoeK

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:14 AM

It's good the conversation didn't kick off before because I've been stupidly busy this week, but it would be cool to discuss the idea a bit more. Really want to know what people think of the project and if you think it's worth moving forward.

From what I understand it's just its own set of battles.

For now, yes. But it's early days, the site is in active development -- this is just the alpha version (v0.1)!

Once we know the basic engine works, the plan is to have multiple battles going on at the same time, with all sorts of different hosts, giveaways, prizes, themes/backstories, entry-requirements etc. Then as a producer you can just jump into whatever battle you want, flipping whatever sample you feel like, while everything stays connected up through your account.

I've just got to build like 2 or 3 more features (and try to sort the whole lot out so it's not lifeless and stale as you put it) and then we'll be at the point where we can do all sorts of cool shit like that -- shit that there's no way of doing if you just stick to basic forum software.

I get times are moving forward and this is just an intuitive/shiny looking way of doing things

Sort of. It is a more efficient and intuitive of way of doing online beat battles (and shiny too i guess), but it's not just that. It opens up a tonne of new possibilities.

I give you credit on your work in getting this site up and running... But I prefer the no frills simplicity of the forums, however messy they may be at times.

Cool. Like I said before, respect that 100% -- each to their own. That's what makes the world go round and keeps the tables spinning. The battles here are fucking cool, but imo they're tragically under-listened-to, because of the messiness.

#107 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:08 AM

I think it's a cool concept man, I really do. Your issue if i'm being honest is approachability. It comes off as kind of sterile (as i stated) in my opinion. If you really want to make something of it you need some form of endorsement so people buy in to what you're doing... For example: there's plenty of beat battles going on around the internet (reddit has like 3-4 just for hip hop that i'm aware of, MPC battles, SP battles, Maschine Masters battles, the list goes on...) what makes your site stand out ahead of the pack? maybe ask, what makes Stones throws stand out ahead of the pack (stones throw from what I know has one of the more active battle environments I've seen around the internet and one of the most consistently thriving).

The answer to that is the name attached to it. People come here because names like Jonwayne, Taku, Dibiase have all battled and dropped works on these forums and the names attached to stones throw separate to the battles need no mentioning (dilla, madlib etc). You come here and it's almost like playing ball at rucker park but for beat heads...

You look at someone like house shoes who comes up with battles like the 'for dilla' stuff and gets a huge response. It's not because he did anything new or intuitive with fancy layouts and systematic websites... it's because he's house shoes and everybody wanted him to hear their shit. Same here on this board, subconsciously a lot of dudes post here in the hopes JJ or Wolf or anyone from ST will here their shit and be like 'That's dope'. We've had that happen in recent times, Scottie Royal - a regular here in the battles had one of his entries re-posted by the official stones throw soundcloud account and now he's hit 45,000+ plays on that joint! (big ups to scottie btw, mad love for that dude) and then we all feel apart of that and we all feel proud for our brothers.

So if you're serious about getting your site up there think about incentives, incentives besides emoticons and pretty graphics (no offence intended on that). Think about some people who might want to work with you in that space. Even semi underground cats. There's plenty of well known beat makers on soundcloud who if entered or even contributed would bring a lot of leverage and traffic. At this point in the game it's more about the name and not so much the substance of your product. 

Right now you have a business, so treat it as such. Going round to beat battle forums and getting a handful of beat makers here and there to take part is the equivalent of door knocking... think bigger.

Peace again, good luck.

• Beatronome likes this

#108 JoeK

JoeK

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:38 AM

Whoa. Thanks man, that's helpful as fuck! Notes taken.

I guess there's a bit of a chicken-and-egg thing with getting endorsement from name-value artists and getting beat makers on the site. In other words, it's pretty unlikely a name artist is going to endorse an empty site... So you gotta start somewhere (and get your handful of beat makers and the first few battles under your belt) so that you have something to show the name artist(s)! But I hear you -- we need to step up our game on that side of things.

Thanks again for taking the time to write that.

• EdTheYounger likes this

#109 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

No problem man you seem like a genuine guy and I really like the idea you have going :)

And you're right, door knocking isn't a terrible thing to do when you're starting out lol. You kind of need something happening to begin with so keep doing what you're doing. Just be careful, a lot of battle arenas plateau and end up with the same 5-10 dudes entering week on week...

Just speaking honestly, glad I could help!

Peace.

#110 ras dude

ras dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:drumming, glaucoma medication, shit from the 70's, podcasts. soundbwoi at breal.tv

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:26 AM

I see Shoes quite often (I'm his sole employee) and not once NOT ONCE, have I ever asked him to listen to my shit. And if I did play my shit around him, I would lie that it isn't mine or turn it down hehe

• GPBear likes this

#111 JoaGymshoe

JoaGymshoe

Prince Jell-O-Quince

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:21 AM

...yoww... just got a great suggestion from brother B-Dog...

..To post the samples weekly in an SC track so everyone  can hear what is the raw material...

...So who should post the sample track?.. the winner?...or can the SC STBB battle group post tracks?

...We could make it downloadable too.

..It'd be a bit more difficult if it was a bunch of packages.

#112 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted Yesterday, 12:58 PM

...yoww... just got a great suggestion from brother B-Dog...

..To post the samples weekly in an SC track so everyone  can hear what is the raw material...

...So who should post the sample track?.. the winner?...or can the SC STBB battle group post tracks?

...We could make it downloadable too.

..It'd be a bit more difficult if it was a bunch of packages.

lol we actually used to post the samples up as their entire source tracks on zippy back when i was a regular...then i noticed at some point people just started making compilations of sample snippets instead.

• Heavy Drama likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users