• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 hvnterbeats

hvnterbeats

Rookie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

the whole post beats by Wed eastern time and vote by Friday pacific time thing is confusing as shit. Never noticed that on the rule page. One time zone would be nice to follow even though it really doesn't matter

I think the time itself is irrelevant. How about posting up the time in a 24 hour format instead of a 12 hour format and with GMT instead of any regionally specific zone. Most folks can figure the time out instantly in their head if they see GMT.

#62 JoaGymshoe

JoaGymshoe

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/joagymshoe

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:47 AM

..One of my pet peeves!!! ......Please can someone responsible  change the title of the New SC Stones Throw Bea                      t Battle page  into StonesThrow Beat Battles... 

with StonesThrow attached... so the 't' of Beat doesn't begin the next line... just looks so untidy and unesthetic!

.. see above ;)...

..or possibly some spaces to get 'Beat Battles' on the next line...

#63 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

..One of my pet peeves!!! ......Please can someone responsible  change the title of the New SC Stones Throw Bea                      t Battle page  into StonesThrow Beat Battles... 

with StonesThrow attached... so the 't' of Beat doesn't begin the next line... just looks so untidy and unesthetic!

.. see above ;)...

..or possibly some spaces to get 'Beat Battles' on the next line...

but wait a minute...the label isn't called StonesThrow.  it's got the space between the words-- i think it'd look really sloppy with this proposed new way imo lol.

#64 JoaGymshoe

JoaGymshoe

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

but wait a minute...the label isn't called StonesThrow.  it's got the space between the words-- i think it'd look really sloppy with this proposed new way imo lol.

...Well, to be Frank James ;) ... I think it would go unnoticed...   ..........however I did make a second suggestion to put Stones Throw on one line and 

Beat Battles on the next :)

• James Frank. likes this

#65 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

...Well, to be Frank James ;)

oh yeah, that one never gets old...

haha.

• gigo likes this

#66 JoaGymshoe

JoaGymshoe

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

... yeah, I thought I'd pile on... JF Kannitbe? ... bit farfetched but tell me you've heard that one before ;)

...but uhm, who's responsible for that page make up?

#67 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

Jondis but... I'm pretty sure that's not necessary joa

#68 JoaGymshoe

JoaGymshoe

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

... If the world would function purely on the premesis of things being necessary it would be a drab place ...

...peace out!

#69 ST Bot

ST Bot

STMB Official

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

this is outside the realm of "beat battles" but here's another remix opportunity from the group Boardwalk

http://www.stonesthr...alk-im-to-blame

Julia Holter remixed Boardwalk's "I'm to Blame," stripping it down to the bones. This inspired the band - Boardwalk's Mike Edge and Amber Quintero of Los Angeles - to make the stems available to anyone who is interested in making a remix. 

Grab the Boardwalk stems (voc, guitar, bass, farfisa ... no drums)
boardwalk_stems.zip

Add your remix to the Boardwalk Soundcloud Group
soundcloud.com/groups/boardwalk 

#70 Beatronome

Beatronome

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beatronome

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

Nice! But I can't seem to download the stems...

#71 ST Bot

ST Bot

STMB Official

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

Nice! But I can't seem to download the stems...

The link was wrong!  fixed now

http://www.stonesthr...dwalk_stems.zip

#72 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

Just though I'd mention that Soundcloud next week is going to be the new version, I was hoping this would never come as, the classic format was brilliant for comments and pages, now we have a block wall of tunes to go through, As nothing else seems to be resolved with these battles even though I keep pointing that out, I think we have time to relook a few things, now this is happening, I think it would be the best if all beats from soundcloud are posted and listened to in the forum, comment to each other on the forum. I think if we all attack soundcloud and pressure them, we might get the pages back, and know what you're listening to and where you were.

#73 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

I already use the new sc anyway it's pretty dope actually. Um I don't think comments can work on stmb

#74 Noodle Fingers

Noodle Fingers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, Hip-Hop, Lemon Haze, Doritos, Cuisine
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/noodlefingers/

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

In response to this rant posted in the 378 thread:

less than 24 hours and we're already on a second page of beat posts,,

idk why, but that makes me feel like yall put no effort in to your beats

personally i make 4 or 5 different rough drafts for beats, then go through, pick out my favorite, work on the mixing

take a day or two to listen to it over and check for small details

(maybe even show it to some of my friends to see if theyd change anything specific)

and THEN post it up

just makes me wonder if cats on here actually care about the art of beatmaking, or if they just wanna get a name out on a popular forum

i mean, im not gonna listen to a beat that took MAYBE half an hour to make, and then take it seriously 

(theres a reason it takes YEARS for some big producers too put together a decent project)

just food for thought.

i WIll LISTEN to every post and i WILL VOTE for the best beat (imo)

but i wouldnt mind seeing some of the dudes on here take a little more time before they start claiming to have made a 'banger'

AND SINCE I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION:

(ill probably get shit for this comment)

but i think all the positive feedback is starting to be a little harmful

i totally understand if you hear a beat that connects with you on  emotional or physical lever

but lets not forget that this is indeed a BATTLE

literally EVERY beat has some generic-ass comment like 'so dope' 'so big' 'so bouncy' 'so grimy'

which gives me absolutely no input on how i could have made it better

i mean, if we're so scared to tell eachother, 'hey man, i didnt really like your beat'

then whats the point of having a BATTLE?

i mean, this last winner is a good example

dont get me wrong, tuffluv made a dopeeee ass beat

but since everyone gave especially positive feedback, it seemed to actually influence the voting process

(no disrespect tuff luv, but based on your lack of response to winning i think even you can agree there were many doper beats)

like i said, its just something to consider for the future

and as always i would love to hear yalls thoughts on this

*this comment was written with nothing but love, for the forum and all who participate in it*

peace

I see where he's coming from, but that by no means mean I didn't work hard on my instrumental. Sure, it took me only a little over a day or however long it was, but I worked on that shit nonstop for the entire time, aside from eating and bumping some of Blu's new album. (I love that shit!) This guy has no idea how much work, tweaking, layering, chopping etc, it took to make my submission. Not saying he's a total douche or anything, but a quick beat doesn't necessarily mean a rushed one.

• GoodFNeLla likes this

#75 AlanGood

AlanGood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/goodmamamama

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:52 PM

In response to this rant posted in the 378 thread:

I see where he's coming from, but that by no means mean I didn't work hard on my instrumental. Sure, it took me only a little over a day or however long it was, but I worked on that shit nonstop for the entire time, aside from eating and bumping some of Blu's new album. (I love that shit!) This guy has no idea how much work, tweaking, layering, chopping etc, it took to make my submission. Not saying he's a total douche or anything, but a quick beat doesn't necessarily mean a rushed one.

lol no offense but 'a day' is not a long time to work on a song.

i could make 10 beats a day .. doesnt mean any of them would be interesting to listen to

technical abilities mixed with convoluted mixing, doesn't always translate to a good song

but that wasnt the point i was making;

to make any piece of art,

and then present it, without a second thought

is just a commodity 

and i understand, most musicians aim to be entertainers rather than artists (which i can respect)

but it just comes down to:

if YOU dont take the time to marinate on your beats, why should I?

#76 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

Good question bruh! Go win some battles with your focus tested, meticulously planned beats now
  • gigo and MikeG_Beats like this

#77 MikeG_Beats

MikeG_Beats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Anything Underground
  • Soundcloud:MikeG_Beats

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

lol no offense but 'a day' is not a long time to work on a song.

i could make 10 beats a day .. doesnt mean any of them would be interesting to listen to

technical abilities mixed with convoluted mixing, doesn't always translate to a good song

but that wasnt the point i was making;

is just a commodity 

and i understand, most musicians aim to be entertainers rather than artists (which i can respect)

but it just comes down to:

if YOU dont take the time to marinate on your beats, why should I?

But hundred blunts passes

Before the God asked us

What's the square miles of the planet?

Why is the axis slanted?

How much is covered by water?

How much is granite?

True-I-Master-Equality

God body be flowing like the chi energy inside your artery

Faithful as a polished rock against a tank

The force of my will still kill shooting blanks

Just from the sound alone ya heads blown

Still scorin in the red zone you best of head home

Or get thrown to the dead zone

Son we need to ill, interupt the Grammy show and teach the kids

#78 AlanGood

AlanGood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:53 AM

Good question bruh! Go win some battles with your focus tested, meticulously planned beats now

you missed my point.

#79 AlanGood

AlanGood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:55 AM

But hundred blunts passes

Before the God asked us

What's the square miles of the planet?

Why is the axis slanted?

How much is covered by water?

How much is granite?

True-I-Master-Equality

God body be flowing like the chi energy inside your artery

Faithful as a polished rock against a tank

The force of my will still kill shooting blanks

Just from the sound alone ya heads blown

Still scorin in the red zone you best of head home

Or get thrown to the dead zone

Son we need to ill, interupt the Grammy show and teach the kids

great minds think alike.

#80 supatranspose

supatranspose

Rookie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:08 AM

Alan. Don't worry about how long it takes to make art. U insult every battler who's comes thru the STbb doors with that ( quick beat is a shitty beat take). if u don't like then take a hike. I didn't miss your point, so upload stairway to heaven beats every week

#81 AlanGood

AlanGood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

Alan. Don't worry about how long it takes to make art. U insult every battler who's comes thru the STbb doors with that ( quick beat is a shitty beat take). if u don't like then take a hike. I didn't miss your point, so upload stairway to heaven beats every week

sorry i upset you bro, 

genuinely,

live good

peace

#82 Scottie Royal

Scottie Royal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/scottie_royal

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

I think more of it comes from just knowing yourself as an artist...knowing what sounds good, what doesn't. I remember when I first started this beatmaking thing, I'd chop up a sample and think it was the greatest thing ever. Then I'd come back the next day and wonder wow, this doesn't sound right at all. I'm at the point in my journey where I know if what I'm making at the time is up to my standards or not. Every beat I've submitted for battling (6 or so) has pretty much been made created in a day, aside from some ongoing  mixing on the side for a few days.

To me a solid day's work on a beat or song is usually pretty good for me. I get what you're saying though Alan. 

• gigo likes this

#83 AlanGood

AlanGood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:45 PM

I think more of it comes from just knowing yourself as an artist...knowing what sounds good, what doesn't. I remember when I first started this beatmaking thing, I'd chop up a sample and think it was the greatest thing ever. Then I'd come back the next day and wonder wow, this doesn't sound right at all. I'm at the point in my journey where I know if what I'm making at the time is up to my standards or not. Every beat I've submitted for battling (6 or so) has pretty much been made created in a day, aside from some ongoing  mixing on the side for a few days.

To me a solid day's work on a beat or song is usually pretty good for me. I get what you're saying though Alan. 

i do agree with you, everyone makes and creates in their own way and, and even that changes for the individual over time

ive just noticed more and more entries saying stuff like 'i wish i mixed that better ,,, i should have switched those drums .. this acapella shoudl have been here' (a few dudes straight took their songs down last week, edited them, and then reposted. which should be an instant DQ in my book)

and when i saw people posting mass beats literally in an hour or two of the sample dropping, it just made me concerned we were about to have a massive amount of deja vu 

but i have seem to have caused a little more controversy then i intended, so i will genuinely shut up from now on and just post my beat and vote. 

***ps. if anyone felt specifically insulted i do apologize

i dont think ive seen a cat on here that doesnt make dope asss beat

my problems were more with the process of entry rather than the entries themselves**

peace

• GoodFNeLla, EdTheYounger and Noodle Fingers like this

#84 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

Don't sweat the technique!! Haha. I see your point on some levels Alan. People taking down and reposting kind of defeats the point of a battle... Imagine a battle rapper after he hears the other guys verse going 'ahh nah what I said before I actually meant to say this instead' lol.

At the end of the day it's all styles. I used to play poker a lot and learnt you could tell a persons play style and personality by how they stack their chips... Messy meant they played loose and fast. Neatly stacked meant they were conservative and slow etc. kind of the same here. If a beat's pushed out in 2 hours (from sample to upload) it's no indication of the persons talent or love for beat making, they're just the type of person who likes to GET SHIT DONE! and sometimes that adds to their individual feel and style (them as a person), and that's cool. Saying you should have done more but didn't have the time is also cool... We all have different life's and priorities, but when you say you should have done this or that and then going back, doing it, and re-upping.... Yeah that's not cool.

Edit: don't say you're not going to say anything anymore. That's stoopid. Be yourself hommie. If people get butt hurt it's their problem, I didn't take any malice or intentional blasting in your initial posts. Just speaking your mind. We need that.

Peace.
  • gigo likes this

#85 AlanGood

AlanGood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

Don't sweat the technique!! Haha. I see your point on some levels Alan. People taking down and reposting kind of defeats the point of a battle... Imagine a battle rapper after he hears the other guys verse going 'ahh nah what I said before I actually meant to say this instead' lol.

Edit: don't say you're not going to say anything anymore. That's stoopid. Be yourself hommie. If people get butt hurt it's their problem, I didn't take any malice or intentional blasting in your initial posts. Just speaking your mind. We need that.

Peace.

got love for you man

#86 breakmastercylinder

breakmastercylinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/breakmaster-cylinder

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

Does it bother anyone that this sentence in the STBB Soundcloud Group info section makes no sense?

"Weekly Beat Battles for producers and beat-makers are user-run competition hosted on the 

Stones Throw Message Board"

I get what it's saying..  I just keep repeating it and it feels all fucked up :P

#87 Soul-Jutsu

Soul-Jutsu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:A bit of this & a bit of that...
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/soul-jutsu

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:49 AM

Could somebody give me a little clarity on the time thing.  All I'd like to know is this...

Do the beats have to be in by Wednesday at 00.00 hours (Tuesday night/Wednesday morning) or Wednesday at 23.59 (Wednesday night)? 

I know that this is covered quite a bit but I still can't find a definitive answer.  

It's been baking my noodle since I got involved.  

#88 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

Let's just say Wednesday at 1159 pm pst
  • Soul-Jutsu likes this

#89 Soul-Jutsu

Soul-Jutsu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:A bit of this & a bit of that...
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/soul-jutsu

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

That's perfect. Thanks.

#90 Sixfingerz

Sixfingerz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:06 AM