#31 ras dude

ras dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:drumming, glaucoma medication, shit from the 70's, podcasts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

I think a twitter would be nice for inviting higher tier producers to come participate, but at the same time I think it would draw attention of people looking for attention.

I usually just copy paste my version of the voting thread template if I do post it.

I think a "refresh" or repost of the Beat Battles RULES/FAQ - PLEASE READ FIRST would be nice. Kurata isn't even on this and some people might try to contact him with questions that will never be answered.

#32 ras dude

ras dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

the whole post beats by Wed eastern time and vote by Friday pacific time thing is confusing as shit. Never noticed that on the rule page. One time zone would be nice to follow even though it really doesn't matter

#33 ras dude

ras dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

HOW IT WORKS:

• Download the sample from the latest thread on the Beat Battles forum
• Join/Submit entry to the Beat Battles Soundcloud Group
• Post your beat by Wednesday, 12:00AM Eastern time.
• Voting starts on the Beat Battles forum Thursday, 12:00AM Pacific Time, and ends on Friday, 12:00AM Pacific Time.
• Winner posts next week's new Sample & Rules on Saturday by Noon, 12:00PM Pacific Time.

^^

#34 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:22 AM

And considering a lot of cats first language is not english, and english is a literal, figurative mess of a language, it really doesn't help with confusion, I just know about 18.00-18.30, over here on Saturday people get fed up with waiting for the new sample, and New Zealand are ahead a day. :blink: it's all got to be simple but effective, so it can self maintain.

#35 es-k

es-k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:41 AM

def use one time zone - i mean its just a "format" so we could even use greenwich mean time hahaha http://en.wikipedia....nwich_Mean_Time

diggin the updates so far

the one thing im curious about is how to enforce the "participants must vote" thing? do we keep tally and 3 strikes your out ?

#36 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:09 AM

def use one time zone - i mean its just a "format" so we could even use greenwich mean time hahaha http://en.wikipedia....nwich_Mean_Time

diggin the updates so far

the one thing im curious about is how to enforce the "participants must vote" thing? do we keep tally and 3 strikes your out ?

Yeah gonna be hard but was thinking myself that if you don't vote or listen your banned for a month, and if they're voted for then it's a DQ for using chairs when you thought the ref wasn't looking :lol:

#37 es-k

es-k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

and maybe voting on some battles could get you unbanned sooner haha
  • Tastik BEATS likes this

#38 Fredson Jacobs

Fredson Jacobs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/fredsonjacobs

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

i want power j0ndis!! :D Let me be able to remove shitty non battle beats from the group!! That shit makes me depressed!
  • James Frank. likes this

#39 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

i want power j0ndis!! :D Let me be able to remove shitty non battle beats from the group!! That shit makes me depressed!

Oh bloody hell you should be a mod ! knew there was someone I forgot, I've noticed OSO and Sapien are still mods, but haven't turned up for over a year.

and maybe voting on some battles could get you unbanned sooner haha

Joking aside I like that, you got to work for it.

#40 Fredson Jacobs

Fredson Jacobs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/fredsonjacobs

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:28 AM

Oh bloody hell you should be a mod ! knew there was someone I forgot, I've noticed OSO and Sapien are still mods, but haven't turned up for over a year.

well you didn't forget, i saw you mentioned it earlier in the thread so thanks;)

#41 jondis

jondis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

nella u awesome man , fredson i added u today and also found sixfingers in the list
  • Fredson Jacobs likes this

#42 breakmastercylinder

breakmastercylinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/breakmaster-cylinder

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

The voting threads usually take a long time before someone starts them.. is that something I can post if I notice it's time (like... uh, now)? Or is that overstepping my bounds? Doesn't look like I need mod status to put a 371 vote thread up.

#43 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

If you've heard everything already then go for it

#44 Sixfingerz

Sixfingerz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

That's a great initiative

I feel it would be nice if the winners gets some extra attention, apart from the Battle Crew. Maybe see a facebook post or a tweet or something like that. Maybe from time to time something on the page itself? Like "Check last weeks winner of the Stones thrw beat battle here". Just a lil extra :P

I feel like this battlegroup definately contributes to the scene, and have the utmost respect for letting us do this on Stones Throw.

PS. Loved the movie
Peace

#45 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

The RULES & FAQ has been updated.

There's been some talk with the Soundcloud people (who have been aware of the beat battles for a long time), but the concerns Jondis had about the admin side of the page can't be handled on a per-group basis.

We might close this topic now ... or maybe keep it open for ongoing admin discussion

#46 porya

porya

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

i've deleted a beat before just to post an updated version. not trying to look for attention but sometimes i end up rushing or really wanna share something, post the beat, and realize like an hour later that there was something i could change to make it better.

is it cool to repost a beat (not multiple times) again for that reason?

#47 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:17 AM

i've deleted a beat before just to post an updated version. not trying to look for attention but sometimes i end up rushing or really wanna share something, post the beat, and realize like an hour later that there was something i could change to make it better.

is it cool to repost a beat (not multiple times) again for that reason?

You should be able to re-up the updated one without deleting, and if everyone has heard the one your not happy with chances are they will not re-listen, best thing is learn your lesson, try again week after, if we all did it, it would just be ridiculous.

#48 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:53 AM

The RULES & FAQ has been updated.

There's been some talk with the Soundcloud people (who have been aware of the beat battles for a long time), but the concerns Jondis had about the admin side of the page can't be handled on a per-group basis.

We might close this topic now ... or maybe keep it open for ongoing admin discussion

I can't see anything evident of change, looks exactly the same apart from times, a lot of the stuff that we have talked about has not gone into the Faq, be nice to unpin the old one and have a nice new page, One thing that concerns a lot of us is the vote, we wanted something to make sure that people understand when you make a beat and get involved then you dam well listen and vote fairly, we were talking of a possible ban for offenders, for example you make a beat and don't vote then your have a 4 week ban, to me at the moment, we have the time changed to Pacific and that seems to be all, the idea of a big influx of new mods is so we can deal with this, and it's not down to 2 people, make the Faq look a bit more appealing as well,, a nice big stonesthrow logo with Battles incorporated or something like an ancient scroll with a weathered logo, nice big clear text. I'm trying to think of everyone on a language basis and being able to get involved easily, a list of mods would help as well, people can see what options they have easily, rather than going to soundcloud and hoping you have a lucky day where it works and loads what you want. I wouldn't say we're done talking this through with the way the Faq looks at the moment, we needed big changes and they're not in the Faq, when we have a decent draft of what is going on, then we can make this work really really well, but there is a lot of kinks to Iron out,If a draft or rough version is needed Ill type one out to show what I think would work really well, if say 5 of us had the rights to pin and alter Faq's there would be no need to involve you guys, the time to stop talking this through has not arrived yet though and there shouldn't be a rush, this came about as a lot of us were fed up, if it's only minor changes going on then nothing will change.
Peace !!

#49 JoaGymshoe

JoaGymshoe

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/joagymshoe

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

...yow... honered to have been bestowed the status of moderator...

The voting thing has come up before... I feel you can't make people vote... and who of us would like to have the responsibillity of keeping score and keeping track of the penalties!...
The most workable rule I think would be: Post on stMb... and only listen through stMb...
It would get peeps more involved with the forum... and more likely to vote!
I have to admit.. it is a freakin' chore some weeks to listen to all the beats!
That's why I pleaded for Special Rules again too in this weeks vote thread... to get the more thrifty beatmakers to surface...
and not get so many Happy go lucky flippers... (with all due respect)

#50 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

I have to admit.. it is a freakin' chore some weeks to listen to all the beats!

This is so true. Part of the reason i don't battle that much, you gotta dig through 75-200 beats each week! Not to mention listening fatigue after inevitably hearing the same loop flipped 60 times in a row

The most workable rule I think would be: Post on stMb... and only listen through stMb...

That's a hella good idea. I was thinking of another way: why not put a limit of like- 100 downloads on the battle samples? I know you can do that in soundcloud, don't know about the DL site we normally use though. That way only the quickest 100 battlers will get their hands on the sample, and everyone else can hope to get in on time next week
  • James Frank. likes this

#51 JoaGymshoe

JoaGymshoe

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/joagymshoe

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

It would get peeps more involved with the forum... and more likely to vote!

That's a hella good idea. I was thinking of another way: why not put a limit of like- 100 downloads on the battle samples? I know you can do that in soundcloud, don't know about the DL site we normally use though. That way only the quickest 100 battlers will get their hands on the sample, and everyone else can hope to get in on time next week

As I work saturdays...and other peeps also might have other engagements and and activities before wednesday...
and am not the fastest flipper... and tend to collab a lot... I don't really think we should have a maximum...
or should encourage people to haste their flips...
Everybody should be welcome... just stimulated to take part in all aspects.

#52 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:19 AM

Why not a propper voting system instead of just posting a comment ??

#53 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

Well this seems to of fallen off more than Nas... :blink:

#54 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

You should be able to re-up the updated one without deleting, and if everyone has heard the one your not happy with chances are they will not re-listen, best thing is learn your lesson, try again week after, if we all did it, it would just be ridiculous.

you can only do that if you've purchased a Pro account, ODK. i remember one of the first beats i posted got a lot of heat, and then i realized the bass was too muddy and had no choice but to completely re-up it and post it again...and that didn't make people very happy.

I was thinking of another way: why not put a limit of like- 100 downloads on the battle samples? I know you can do that in soundcloud, don't know about the DL site we normally use though. That way only the quickest 100 battlers will get their hands on the sample, and everyone else can hope to get in on time next week

^ this is genius btw.

#55 Sixfingerz

Sixfingerz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

nella u awesome man , fredson i added u today and also found sixfingers in the list

Lol i'm a mod too? Didn't know that, cool :P

The spam is easily fixable. Make a moderated group in SC. Make a few mods.

I really dig the vibe we got going on in these battles, i hope we can continue !

I started a secret group spam/adfree on facebook (yeah fb... till we find a better solution) to share experience related to beats,gear,set-up,... send me a pm pls i would love to add you guys, but don't know yer names.

Find me on facebook ,send me a msg so i know who is who.

Thanks , peace !

#56 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

just got another idea for easing up listening. change the rules so that voters are only obligated to listen to the message board tracks. So, you don't HAVE to post it up here but if you don't you can legally be passed over by voters

#57 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

just got another idea for easing up listening. change the rules so that voters are only obligated to listen to the message board tracks. So, you don't HAVE to post it up here but if you don't you can legally be passed over by voters

i like this one ^

#58 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

there's now a Soundcloud icon on the post page.

Posted Image

Click it. A small window opens. Paste your Soundcloud URL there, and track will post. We're also posting the html5 player rather than the old flash one now.
  • Tastik BEATS likes this

#59 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

there's now a Soundcloud icon on the post page.

Posted Image

Click it. A small window opens. Paste your Soundcloud URL there, and track will post. We're also posting the html5 player rather than the old flash one now.

hey Jeff, i also noticed that YouTube URL's won't embed like they used to anymore...any solutions to that yet?
(i think it's still a brand new issue)

#60 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

yea, new issue. hopefully fixed soon.

Soundcloud, Youtube posts - updated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users