#1 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

I got some choice records from Japan and they sat in San Francisco for a couple of weeks. I assume they were stuck in customs. When I received them, they had started to mold. I have purchased a lot of records from this seller and his records are always top notch, so I assume the warehouse where they sat was damp. The mold is not real bad, but some of the records show spots of mold and they smell. I let them air out, but I wanted to ask the board what they would do. Any luck removing spots? Has anyone contaminated their record collection by bringing records like this into their house?

Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

#2 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

i know all record dudes won't agree, but i use a super basic no additives, scents, lotions, moisturizer, etc. dish soap i get from the local food co-op (seventh generation free and clear dish soap), a nice clean micro fiber cloth, and the water out of my sink (falls on the softer side of the scale) to clean up particularly grimy records, things with mold, caked on dirt, or just a hazy residue, you can usually tell if it would benefit from a cleaning if you can smudge hazy marks around in the dead wax

i rinse both sides of the record on luke warm water (being very wary of the labels, they can handle getting wet, but if you get them soaked and carelessly rub around on them the ink can start to run which is no good, gets on your cloth and in the grooves, so i just hold the record at an angle and do my best not to get them wet), then i lay it on a nice soft clean towel, squirt a little soap on the wet micro fiber cloth and 'scrub' the record, going with the grooves and being careful not to hit the label, its hard to cover the whole width of the record so i'll do the detail right around the label carefully and move out from there (using a spare turntable or something that can allow you to spin the record without moving the cloth would be ideal), then i rinse, wet the flip side again and repeat, then rinse that side (and usually the first side again, as there might be some soap on the other side from your fingers or from the towel you were cleaning on), than sandwich it between another clean towel folded in half big enough to cover the whole record, pat dry (rubbing the towel on the record creates a static charge so i'm careful not to move the record around), then leave the record out leaning up against a wall or something to air dry, i live in the north east and its winter so the air is dry as fuck, should be good after 2 or 3 hours max, but in different climates you might wanna let it sit for longer, or if your desperate to dry and have access to a hair dryer with a low warm setting you can rock that, although it definitely creates a static charge in the record, and depending on the hair dryer the heat could be potentially damaging, i just prefer to let them sit out

it has definitely done a great job of cleaning up some of my dirty records, i had found a sealed copy of an expensive spiritual jazz record for dirt cheap, but it had some purple mold under the shrink in one corner, and when i pulled it there was white mold all over the record, cleaned it well before i ever played it, let it dry, and it looks great and sounds perfect

obviously a VPI type machine would be the ideal method, and for lighter cleaning distilled water and alcohol works well, but i'm comfortable using this method, even on my more expensive and desirable records at this point, it has worked well for me and seemingly hasn't caused any issues, the only advice i would give for your particular case (if you choose this method) would be to make sure to clean the cloths for each record, when dealing with mold you can never be too thorough, don't want to be cleaning the third record in a row with a cloth covered in mold
  • Dirty Cyclist likes this

#3 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

obviously a VPI type machine would be the ideal method, and for lighter cleaning distilled water and alcohol works well, but i'm comfortable using this method, even on my more expensive and desirable records at this point, it has worked well for me and seemingly hasn't caused any issues, the only advice i would give for your particular case (if you choose this method) would be to make sure to clean the cloths for each record, when dealing with mold you can never be too thorough, don't want to be cleaning the third record in a row with a cloth covered in mold

Thanks man, but my original post was not real clear... the records are still perfect, it's the covers that show some spots, and they smell. I have them sitting in sun light for a couple of hours during the work day and I tried some rubbing alcohol.

#4 Jimmyfunkvalve

Jimmyfunkvalve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:50 AM

rubbing alcohol

if you use in excess this will tend to make inks run on the sleeves. take the sleeves outside (if it's dry out) and dry brush the mold spots to remove the excess. then try diluting alcohol with water then very slightly dampen a microfibre cloth with it. rub very lightly then let them dry. sunlight is good, it will kill spores, but could fade your sleeves and also warp the vinyl depending on the temperature. but you knew that.
  • Dirty Cyclist likes this

#5 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

ahhh, gotcha, well i am curious about that too, as i'm concerned the mold on the jacket of the record i mentioned could still be live and possibly slowly spreading, and i would hate to ruin the sleeve cause i'm unlikely to find a replacement for it unless i find a trashed copy of the record in a good sleeve for a fair price, got me to look into the topic though, this thread and others on this site seem to have good info from fellow record nerds who know what they are talking about

http://www.audiokarm...p/t-310052.html

if and when i try anything out i'll check back

#6 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

if you use in excess this will tend to make inks run on the sleeves. take the sleeves outside (if it's dry out) and dry brush the mold spots to remove the excess. then try diluting alcohol with water then very slightly dampen a microfibre cloth with it. rub very lightly then let them dry. sunlight is good, it will kill spores, but could fade your sleeves and also warp the vinyl depending on the temperature. but you knew that.

thanks!

I kept the vinyl in a separate stack.

#7 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

i'm so glad i've never had to deal with this...
  • GC90 likes this

#8 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

i'm so glad i've never had to deal with this...

yeah, I went from super stoked, to kind of bummed. Glad the vinyl is all good and the covers aren't ruined, but they are not in the condition they left Japan in.

#9 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,912 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

Be careful if it's black mold, you don't want to breathe that shit in homie

#10 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

Be careful if it's black mold, you don't want to breathe that shit in homie

light brown... already zapped most of it with alcohol.

#11 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

does it talk?

#12 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

not to me

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: records, mold, cleaning