#1 Tahn

Tahn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Vietnamese-American Recording Artist Since 1995
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/michaelnhat

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

How To Be A Microwave Records pressed a limited run of vinyl for my first record. UGHH has one copy left for under 5 bucks. Get it today at UGHH.com.
Posted Image

#2 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

immediately copped it. good shit as per usual...

so Michael, i have just two questions for you: do you listen to any Death Grips? your style reminds me a lot of them...and lastly, would you mind divulging the process you went through to get your project pressed up? i'm sure some of the younger heads such as myself on here would be very interested to learn how to get some physical releases going for our own projects.
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#3 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

you gonna ask for a tutorial on how to convert his vinyl to digital?

#4 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

you gonna ask for a tutorial on how to convert his vinyl to digital?

good one.

#5 Tahn

Tahn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

so Michael, i have just two questions for you: do you listen to any Death Grips? your style reminds me a lot of them...and lastly, would you mind divulging the process you went through to get your project pressed up? i'm sure some of the younger heads such as myself on here would be very interested to learn how to get some physical releases going for our own projects.

Thank so much for buying that record Frank. I really appreciate it.

I listen to noise. A lot of my personal friends are noise/circuit benders. I like Death Grips, but I am not inspired by them. Some of the music you hear me make has been sitting around since 2007. I am usually broke as fuck, homeless, couch-surfing and technology/computer-less. So I record like the Tasmanian devil whenever I get the opportunity to. If I had the stuff I have access to now, back in 2009, I would have made this stuff then.

There was a long article in URB magazine how I got on How To Be A Microwave and into the DIY LA scene, but it looks like they just took it down.

Here's the short version:
A friend asked me to go see Mika Miko, and I'm A Fucking Gymnast play at a house party in Pasadena, somewhere on Lake ave.
After it, everyone was leaving and some girl yelled out, "Afterparty at The House Of Vermont!". I heard of the prestigious, DIY, Punk venue/house. I had never been there, but I needed to someday and figured this was the night.

So, while taking a train to downtown, I meet some other people from the Pasadena party I just left. One says he's played at The Vermont House, so him and his friends decide to go also. We arrive downtown. Then we walk 2.5 miles. And arrive at a small "Invite Only" party. We didn't know anyone there. Some awkward confrontation with beer from someone that came with me, started with a member of the house. So the people on the train I just met, wanted me to leave with them. I didn't. And after they left, the residents of the Vermont House aka How To Be A Microwave Records offered me a couch to sleep on since it was really late. I built a friendship with them. I didn't tell them I was a musician for the first two or three months. When I did, they booked me with one of their acts and did that for months. Before the end of the year of them seeing me perform a lot, and us just hanging out and going to shows and Vermont House shows, they offered to put out my first record after they finished releasing something else by another one of their bands. It was released October 2009.
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#6 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

Posted Image
  • MWBOOGIE and Tahn like this

#7 Tahn

Tahn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:45 PM

heck yeah quick shipping, glad it arrived in once piece!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wax, vinyl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users