#31 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:The Universe

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

Here's how artists like De La get around with shit like this. Smell The Da.I.S.Y. was made available as a free download. On the surface it seems as though because the music is free, the project yields no income. This is one of the greatest misconceptions in music today. Revenue streams for artists have shifted and basically inverted over the last 25-30 years. Today, artists hardly release music and go on tour to promote the music and the sale of the music. What they really do is release music, albeit at no immediate cost to you, to promote their performances, concerts, and tours - - the primary source of revenue for a recording artist today. So even though this De La project was initially made available to download for free, De La is sure to profit from it. We're already seeing the "limited edition" spinoffs; if there isn't already, we'll see some De La merch circulating; and lastly, we'll certainly see a De La tour - - all financed, in large part by Smell The Da.I.S.Y. Releasing the project for free allows them to stay clear of the sure barrage that is to come when an artist grave digs as they have. Now when the question is raised they can simply say it was to honor such and such producer, blah blah blah, etc.

#32 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

so, can we all just assume that none of the proceeds or at best a measly portion of it is actually going to go to Ma Dukes and co. ?

#33 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

And do you, any contractors, really feel De la Soul is a menacing body, set on raping the legacy of James Dilla Yauncey? Do you think Jay Dee is rolling in his grave? Are Illa J and Ma dukes irate? Are people stoked that they have some cool new music?

#34 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

lmao you guys are salty as fuck all of a sudden, you were diggin this album a second ago! it's only 100 copies. you know nothing of how the potential 5 grand is going to be distributed, some of it may well be going to Ma Dukes (if that's what you care about). OBVIOUSLY this whole thing is really just promo for "You're Welcome", that's no secret, they're coming out with another free mixtape (the outrage!!) produced exclusively by Pete Rock and DJ Premier!

I am not offended by this one. Biggest downside is that it's just a so-so Dilla beat tape overall.
  • mangoes cash and GC90 like this

#35 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

I am not offended by this one. Biggest downside is that it's just a so-so Dilla beat tape overall.

I agree.

#36 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,894 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

I'm just salty because I don't go out of my way to download mp3s so I probably won't ever hear this. I like to have my music in physical format especially wax.
  • GC90 and James Frank. like this

#37 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

haha maybe I spoke too soon

who the hell would buy that?
  • GC90 likes this

#38 MattCoops

MattCoops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/mattcoopshiphop

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

I don't knock them for putting this out. I think it's dope. They needed something to build a buzz around them going on tour.
They're an ill group that's been around for a few decades. And I'd buy a show ticket at a drop of a hat.
They're not going to really make any money off the actual sale of this record. Since I read it's planned on being a limited release of 100 copies. So that's only a couple thousand dollars to be made (tops).
It's really just a promotional piece meant to spread the motivation to go to their show, where they make they're real money.
And I bet it would be an awesome show. They're one of my favorite hip hop groups, they got a dope catalog, and I've never had the fortune to see them live.
  • mangoes cash likes this

#39 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

haha maybe I spoke too soon

They needed something to build a buzz around them going on tour.

Bingo

#40 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

I don't knock them for putting this out. I think it's dope. They needed something to build a buzz around them going on tour.
They're an ill group that's been around for a few decades. And I'd buy a show ticket at a drop of a hat.
They're not going to really make any money off the actual sale of this record. Since I read it's planned on being a limited release of 100 copies. So that's only a couple thousand dollars to be made (tops).
It's really just a promotional piece meant to spread the motivation to go to their show, where they make they're real money.
And I bet it would be an awesome show. They're one of my favorite hip hop groups, they got a dope catalog, and I've never had the fortune to see them live.

And they have a great live show.
Or maybe it was the ecstacy.

They did a rave type event. Maseo just dj'd for like an hour the de la did a set.

How can you hate the plugs?

#41 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

^ Yup, pretty sure De La would be on Dilla's list of approved cool dudes, and that they would have some awareness of the Dilla legacy/exploitation situation/respect for Ma Yancy.

If somebody got the disc and ripped it to wav and uploaded it somewhere for the homies who don't fuck with mp3s, that would be fair game in this instance.
  • mangoes cash and GC90 like this

#42 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

you know nothing of how the potential 5 grand is going to be distributed, some of it may well be going to Ma Dukes (if that's what you care about).

i love me some Mama Duke-sies.

the Yanceys are like the Partridge family of hip-hop...and idk what that means, i'm probably just too drunk to be posting but whatevs.

#43 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/nick-papadopoulos-2

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

Funny I just earlier today fancied myself the Pervy dude who drove the bus and managed those live cats.

• mangoes cash and James Frank. like this

#44 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

t shirt price was reduced by $5, thus making it worth it.

Somebody on this board should grab one of the 100 though.

#45 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/nick-papadopoulos-2

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

I would do so if I could possibly guess where they would hit up in my City. Not an easy task.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DILLA, De la soul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users