59 replies to this topic

#31 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

Here's how artists like De La get around with shit like this. Smell The Da.I.S.Y. was made available as a free download. On the surface it seems as though because the music is free, the project yields no income. This is one of the greatest misconceptions in music today. Revenue streams for artists have shifted and basically inverted over the last 25-30 years. Today, artists hardly release music and go on tour to promote the music and the sale of the music. What they really do is release music, albeit at no immediate cost to you, to promote their performances, concerts, and tours - - the primary source of revenue for a recording artist today. So even though this De La project was initially made available to download for free, De La is sure to profit from it. We're already seeing the "limited edition" spinoffs; if there isn't already, we'll see some De La merch circulating; and lastly, we'll certainly see a De La tour - - all financed, in large part by Smell The Da.I.S.Y. Releasing the project for free allows them to stay clear of the sure barrage that is to come when an artist grave digs as they have. Now when the question is raised they can simply say it was to honor such and such producer, blah blah blah, etc.

#32 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,079 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

so, can we all just assume that none of the proceeds or at best a measly portion of it is actually going to go to Ma Dukes and co. ?

#33 Mangoes Cash

Mangoes Cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

And do you, any contractors, really feel De la Soul is a menacing body, set on raping the legacy of James Dilla Yauncey? Do you think Jay Dee is rolling in his grave? Are Illa J and Ma dukes irate? Are people stoked that they have some cool new music?

#34 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

lmao you guys are salty as fuck all of a sudden, you were diggin this album a second ago! it's only 100 copies. you know nothing of how the potential 5 grand is going to be distributed, some of it may well be going to Ma Dukes (if that's what you care about). OBVIOUSLY this whole thing is really just promo for "You're Welcome", that's no secret, they're coming out with another free mixtape (the outrage!!) produced exclusively by Pete Rock and DJ Premier!

I am not offended by this one. Biggest downside is that it's just a so-so Dilla beat tape overall.
  • Mangoes Cash and GC90 like this

#35 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

I am not offended by this one. Biggest downside is that it's just a so-so Dilla beat tape overall.

I agree.

#36 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,359 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

I'm just salty because I don't go out of my way to download mp3s so I probably won't ever hear this. I like to have my music in physical format especially wax.
  • GC90 and James Frank. like this

#37 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

haha maybe I spoke too soon

who the hell would buy that?
  • GC90 likes this

#38 MattCoops

MattCoops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/mattcoopshiphop

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

I don't knock them for putting this out. I think it's dope. They needed something to build a buzz around them going on tour.
They're an ill group that's been around for a few decades. And I'd buy a show ticket at a drop of a hat.
They're not going to really make any money off the actual sale of this record. Since I read it's planned on being a limited release of 100 copies. So that's only a couple thousand dollars to be made (tops).
It's really just a promotional piece meant to spread the motivation to go to their show, where they make they're real money.
And I bet it would be an awesome show. They're one of my favorite hip hop groups, they got a dope catalog, and I've never had the fortune to see them live.
  • Mangoes Cash likes this

#39 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

haha maybe I spoke too soon

They needed something to build a buzz around them going on tour.

Bingo

#40 Mangoes Cash

Mangoes Cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

I don't knock them for putting this out. I think it's dope. They needed something to build a buzz around them going on tour.
They're an ill group that's been around for a few decades. And I'd buy a show ticket at a drop of a hat.
They're not going to really make any money off the actual sale of this record. Since I read it's planned on being a limited release of 100 copies. So that's only a couple thousand dollars to be made (tops).
It's really just a promotional piece meant to spread the motivation to go to their show, where they make they're real money.
And I bet it would be an awesome show. They're one of my favorite hip hop groups, they got a dope catalog, and I've never had the fortune to see them live.

And they have a great live show.
Or maybe it was the ecstacy.

They did a rave type event. Maseo just dj'd for like an hour the de la did a set.

How can you hate the plugs?

#41 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

^ Yup, pretty sure De La would be on Dilla's list of approved cool dudes, and that they would have some awareness of the Dilla legacy/exploitation situation/respect for Ma Yancy.

If somebody got the disc and ripped it to wav and uploaded it somewhere for the homies who don't fuck with mp3s, that would be fair game in this instance.
  • Mangoes Cash and GC90 like this

#42 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

you know nothing of how the potential 5 grand is going to be distributed, some of it may well be going to Ma Dukes (if that's what you care about).

i love me some Mama Duke-sies.

the Yanceys are like the Partridge family of hip-hop...and idk what that means, i'm probably just too drunk to be posting but whatevs.

#43 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Interests:All Love and Praise goes to my fallen brother St. Manute.
  • Soundcloud:Nick Papadopoulos 4

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

Funny I just earlier today fancied myself the Pervy dude who drove the bus and managed those live cats.

• Mangoes Cash and James Frank. like this

#44 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

t shirt price was reduced by $5, thus making it worth it.

Somebody on this board should grab one of the 100 though.

#45 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Interests:All Love and Praise goes to my fallen brother St. Manute.
  • Soundcloud:Nick Papadopoulos 4

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

I would do so if I could possibly guess where they would hit up in my City. Not an easy task.

#46 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:06 AM

Thoughts on the new De La record And The Anonymous Nobody?

Took me a while to really be able to sit down with it for some reason.  For some odd reason I've never gotten into De La's catalog.  I imagine not being able to easily find their music to stream & download has played a role in that.  I'm familiar w/ some of the bigger songs and their story, but not much else.  Anywho, I thought this album was definitely a slow burner.  It wasn't until I sat down with it recently and gave it my undivided attention that I was able to appreciate it.  It's done well commercially so others seem to be of a similar opinion.

Beats from Pete Rock + Supa Dave West, no samples, odd cast of features and a solid underlying theme.  You guys rocking w/ it or not so much?

#47 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:29 PM

eh. maybe it needs more spins, but it's hard not to be disappointed. i mean, good on them with the crowd funding and all that, we all want De La to succeed, but... i dunno. it's kinda soft and flabby round the edges

• OfficeTime8889 likes this

#48 Jubito

Jubito

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Interests:40 & A BLUNT, light1up, light the doobie 'till it glow like a ruby
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jubitoo

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:08 AM

I think they have done well keeping up with how the sound changed, while keeping it old school at the same time.

Even 2Chainz went hard on the feature:

#49 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:01 AM

I think they have done well keeping up with how the sound changed, while keeping it old school at the same time.

Even 2Chainz went hard on the feature

lol

Let's jus establish the fact that this album is FULL of VERY random features; the 2 Chainz feature leading the way.  Even then, in some weird kind of way, they manage to pull it off.

#50 Jubito

Jubito

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:51 AM

lol

Let's jus establish the fact that this album is FULL of VERY random features; the 2 Chainz feature leading the way.  Even then, in some weird kind of way, they manage to pull it off.

I wouldn't say they are random. De La Soul know what they were doing.

#51 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:15 AM

I wouldn't say they are random. De La Soul know what they were doing.

What were they doing?

• SwampThing likes this

#52 Jubito

Jubito

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:51 AM

What were they doing?

Well now take in consideration this is their first full-length studio album in like what, 12 years? They are a classic hip-hop group no doubt, but in this time let's just say they fell off the radar. What better way to come back in the game and have an album that will appeal to both an audience that might not be familiar with their work and the old school fans than having some 'contemporary' and some well-known older/underground artists (Snoop, Pete Rock, Roc Marciano). You can see the influence of various music genres on the album, not just traditional hip-hop from back in the day, which is natural because most artists that have been in the game for a long time move on and adapt their sound, they tend to progress. Since De La Soul have always been on the alternative hip-hop tip I wouldn't say they got out of that zone, they just made a modern-day version of it.

That's just how I see it though.

I know we are all used to the '3 Feet High and Rising', 'De La Soul Is Dead', 'Buhloon Mindstate' and 'Stakes Is High' sound but you gotta try and put yourself in the position of the artist, times change, it's a natural state of transition.

I'd rather hear something new than the same thing over and over tbh...

#53 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:05 AM

Having listened to the album for the first time today, I think it's pretty solid. The Plugs haven't lost their knack for putting together good hip hop, even with the live instrumentation. On one or two tracks I thought the rock guitars were a bit much and the David Byrne feature was a little odd and didn't really seem to fit with De La's verses. Still, I'm looking forward to and expect to be digging this record more with subsequent listens...

#54 Cheel

Cheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC AND TING
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/cheel

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:15 AM

I had 1 listen. Sounded like a few good songs but on the whole not a good album

#55 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

Having listened to the album for the first time today, I think it's pretty solid. The Plugs haven't lost their knack for putting together good hip hop, even with the live instrumentation. On one or two tracks I thought the rock guitars were a bit much and the David Byrne feature was a little odd and didn't really seem to fit with De La's verses. Still, I'm looking forward to and expect to be digging this record more with subsequent listens...

My thoughts exactly 

Well now take in consideration this is their first full-length studio album in like what, 12 years? They are a classic hip-hop group no doubt, but in this time let's just say they fell off the radar. What better way to come back in the game and have an album that will appeal to both an audience that might not be familiar with their work and the old school fans than having some 'contemporary' and some well-known older/underground artists (Snoop, Pete Rock, Roc Marciano). You can see the influence of various music genres on the album, not just traditional hip-hop from back in the day, which is natural because most artists that have been in the game for a long time move on and adapt their sound, they tend to progress. Since De La Soul have always been on the alternative hip-hop tip I wouldn't say they got out of that zone, they just made a modern-day version of it.

That's just how I see it though.

I know we are all used to the '3 Feet High and Rising', 'De La Soul Is Dead', 'Buhloon Mindstate' and 'Stakes Is High' sound but you gotta try and put yourself in the position of the artist, times change, it's a natural state of transition.

I'd rather hear something new than the same thing over and over tbh...

That's well said.  Wasn't trolling you or anything to that effect.  I was genuinely interested in angle from which you were approaching the original question. 

#56 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:36 AM

interesting listen. was really digging it at first, but I kept pulling it out to put a new (to me) Coltrane CD in... some tracks will probably end up in rotation, but that rock song probably won't.

#57 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:21 AM

#58 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:29 PM

Another Native Tongues Kickstarter project, methinks worth it:

https://www.kickstar...sse-documentary

#59 Mangoes Cash

Mangoes Cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:58 PM

Another Native Tongues Kickstarter project, methinks worth it:

https://www.kickstar...sse-documentary

No QTip ??

#60 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:18 AM

No QTip ??

They need to change the name ... "Speaking In Tongues" is corny as fuck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DILLA, De la soul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users