• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

'ello. so i have a project due on the 17th in my Super 8 film class, and for this particular project i'm supposed to collab with someone in the class. long story short, i work better alone but even if i did want help from the guy i was paired with it probably wouldn't happen cause he seems a little flaky-- so

tl;dr i need some help coming up with ideas for quick little shots of animation for my next project. i know that i'm going to experiment with most if not all forms of 2D stop motion, specifically cutout animation, but that's pretty much it. the class tried to self-impose constraints we all are supposed to follow, but that's not really relevant here...so i just need some ideas haha.

i'm going to be working with cutout pieces of construction paper for one, magazine/photo clippings for another, and possibly one with random textures where i like cut shapes out of a book filled with text...but yeah, i'm trying to get something done before early next week, so i figured i'd give this a whirl and ask the most cultured online community for their thoughts/ideas.

-jf

#2 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Imagine recreating the ALL CAPS video but with pics of stars cut out from tabloid papers ...
  • mangoes cash likes this

#3 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

This. ^^^^ lol

#4 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

A chunky dinosaur stomps through a future cityscape, then stops and lays an egg which is then cracked open by a beam from the sun looming over the cityscape. The egg hatches to reveal a character holding a turntable. Zoom in to the turntable as it begins turning. There is a rocket on the label of the record rotating on the turntable. The speed of rotation increases until the rocket takes flight and tears towards the hills beyond the future cityscape where it crashes in a huge explosion. Zoom into to the wreckage revealing the character from the egg, looking a little exploded but still on point, holding a smoking Sp303. Fade in to the smoke rising from the 303, fade out to smoke rising from a blunt in a hand flipping through a box of records.

#5 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

Imagine recreating the ALL CAPS video but with pics of stars cut out from tabloid papers ...

no
  • ynqhead likes this

#6 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

JAmes check this guy out,
http://davidmackguide.com/

and this one
http://www.davemckea...age_833188.html he did a film called Mirrormask, which will be well worth you watching.

both use the style media you mention, might help to get some ideas going, only thing is it's stationary as it's comic book, also looking at the short animation in harry potter the Deathly Hallows part 1 might help.

Story wise how about a beat that escapes the speakers and goes on the run.
  • James Frank. likes this

#7 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:39 AM

Best advice:

Keep it simple.

#8 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

i'm gonna digitize and upload it to youtube so you guys can see it sometime in the next month or so, it turned out pretty well actually.

my next project is a "self-portrait", and i have NO idea what to do for it. any suggestions???????

#9 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

Yes of course! I took some photos of my niece eating a big slice of cake, some of them cut off the top of her head/face and the side of her face because she never stands still. When I printed off the 'good' photos I did the imperfect ones as well. Quite a while later I got her to hold the crap photos in front of her face and took some more shots of her. Because she has long hair it was pretty easy to hide some of the edges of the original photos. The results were really weird and interesting because of the differences in scale/focus/light etc. between the original shots and the shots of her holding them over parts of her face taken later on. Sort of like looking at a shattered mirror or a portrait with the glass broken in the frame, but weirder. I was thinking this technique might translate quite well to video, and you could create an amalgamation of several different similar bits of footage, perhaps involving everyday activities (eating, drinking, washing, wearing different clothes, whatever). When we think 'self portrait' we perhaps think of something static, a snapshot, a moment in time. by amalgamating various shots/footage you might perhaps create a truer (or more detailed) reflection of yourself in various states of activity, at various positions in time.

#10 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

Yes of course! I took some photos of my niece eating a big slice of cake, some of them cut off the top of her head/face and the side of her face because she never stands still. When I printed off the 'good' photos I did the imperfect ones as well. Quite a while later I got her to hold the crap photos in front of her face and took some more shots of her. Because she has long hair it was pretty easy to hide some of the edges of the original photos. The results were really weird and interesting because of the differences in scale/focus/light etc. between the original shots and the shots of her holding them over parts of her face taken later on. Sort of like looking at a shattered mirror or a portrait with the glass broken in the frame, but weirder. I was thinking this technique might translate quite well to video, and you could create an amalgamation of several different similar bits of footage, perhaps involving everyday activities (eating, drinking, washing, wearing different clothes, whatever). When we think 'self portrait' we perhaps think of something static, a snapshot, a moment in time. by amalgamating various shots/footage you might perhaps create a truer (or more detailed) reflection of yourself in various states of activity, at various positions in time.

that's a pretty interesting concept, Berry. but maybe i forgot to put this disclaimer into the posts i made earlier: i'm in a film class...like literal, analog, frame-by-frame film. so the kinda stuff you're talking about is virtually impossible for me to create without having shot a roll, gotten it developed and then re-shot said roll with frames spliced together like some Frankenstein monster.... oh wait.

#11 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

Oh yeah, thats what I was thinking, razors and tape / double exposures! No worries, I just throw some stuff out, might be dud, might be useful, might fit in somewhere else. Would like to see your animation piece.

#12 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

Berry, you're a genius! for those that don't know, the period at the end of my moniker isn't just some artsy hipster ish...or, well, actually it kinda is, but it has a point. the full name i go by is James Frankenstein, and the period shortens that shit up like you would with Dr. or Mr.... so actually, that cutting/pasting/re-exposing of dead frames into a hybrid film monster would actually work veryyyyyy well with what i'm trying to do. unfortunately, there's no way it'll get done before next week, so i gotta improvise some shitty back-up project in the mean time. but i think i'm on to something now, thanks STMB.

#13 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

A candle looses nothing from lighting another candle! Hope whatever you end up doing goes well, sounds like a cool class. Throw some links up for us sometime.

#14 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:49 PM

Throw some links up for us sometime.

so yeah, semester ended and i finally digitized all my films i made over the course of the past 5 months.  then i got depressed after i got the footage back, cause none of it really looks that good.  then i started questioning what i'm doing with my life...haha, but yeah--eventually i found myself uploading the footage to Vimeo.  then i remembered this thread and figured i'd show you guys what i came up with...

unfortunately, the original print came back underexposed so i had to bump up the brightness in post quite a bit, so the footage looks shittier than it already would without the added effects.  anyway, here it is.  it has a nonsense title because i couldn't think of one (you'll see it in the first few seconds).  there's no story.  just stuff.  oh, and i know the credits say "a film by greg and james" but fuck greg lol, he did literally 0% of the work.  we just were required to partner-up, and i'm not very good at working well with others so i sorta just did this on my own and slapped his name on it to be nice and make sure he still got a decent grade.

• mangoes cash and dec the nomad like this

#15 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:51 AM

Haha I liked it, it's funny, a little MontyPython-esque (that's meant to be complimentary, I'm not saying ur biting their swag!)
Really though my sister went to art college and her final piece was an animation, I don't know how long she spent on it, by all accounts she was more concerned with going to techno clubs, chomping mdma and getting pregnant than her course, but when my dad went to see it his reaction was "Three years.....for THIS!" So considering you sort of bashed it out at short notice and Greg did shit all, I would say it's a winner.

Just interested, what software do you like for digi vid editing?

#16 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:55 AM

Oh just saw the link to the other one, liking that too, was silence part of the brief? Or did I accidentally mute vimeo or something?

#17 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

Hi James,
I like your posted video.
Ever watch Monty Python's Flying Circus? If not google their intros.

#18 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

Oh just saw the link to the other one, liking that too, was silence part of the brief? Or did I accidentally mute vimeo or something?

yeah, 90% of the stuff i ended up making was silent (including that other film you watched) because Super 8 doesn't exist with sound-sync anymore.  the closest you can get is by digitizing it (or even recording it on your phone), importing it into an editing program and sorta estimating the time cues that way.

...but, i'm glad to hear people like it though haha, i'm getting ready to start another animation today, hopefully this one turns out much better (i might be shooting it in color as well).

also, to answer your question BW, i use Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 for editing stuff...i haven't gotten much use out of it yet, but i plan on making a lot of shorts and web series and all that now that i get a few months off from school.  however, i would not recommend using professional-level editing software on a shitty middle-of-the-road PC laptop like i do-- it's not very conducive to working, and whenever i'm exporting a final video i'm afraid the thing's gonna just overheat and shut down from working too hard.

#19 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

mangoes...yes, of course i know Terry Gilliam's work haha.  i figured i should post some pretty cool, experimental animation videos since i just spent a semester watching them in class.  this guy was more along the lines of what i was thinking when i made the project:

unfortunately, i can't find the video i saw of his that inspired me (it's called "Frank Film", and it won the Academy Award in like 1973 or something for Best Animated Short).  i've also found some pretty cool shit just on my own:

#20 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

#21 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:15 PM

That Impasse (1978) video, the sequence from13 seconds is righteous!

Is that video stop motion with paper cut outs?

#22 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

That Impasse (1978) video, the sequence from13 seconds is righteous!

Is that video stop motion with paper cut outs?

it sure is.  he found and painstakingly cut out that many stars from magazines and stuff...that's why i wanna find "Frank Film", you guys will shit your pants when you see how well Frank Mouris utilized the things he cut out.  just simply amazing stuff, some of the best films i've ever seen.

#23 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

Wow
Me and my friends were pretty nerdy, in particular these two brothers who did all types of stop motion clay motion while we were growing up. So I know it can be quite pain staking. His shit is next level.

#24 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:15 PM

i found Frank Film.

http://www.dailymoti...s-1973_creation

#25 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Art, Advertising, Graphic Design, Photography....
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/leftfoot1st

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:23 AM

YOOOOOOOOOO, i'm loving the video you made.... you should do videos for all of your tracks.... and i'm loving the sounds aswell... where did you get them? 

#26 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

YOOOOOOOOOO, i'm loving the video you made.... you should do videos for all of your tracks.... and i'm loving the sounds aswell... where did you get them? 

thank you!  i compose my own scores as well, so all those sounds were either lifted from YouTube/Public Domain sources, or played with freeware VST's i use a lot in my music production, just way more minimalistic.

i plan on releasing a few videos over the course of the Summer, but idk how much will honestly get done by then because i'm trying to balance out the obsession with music and the growing obsession with actually making films...so i might start leaning more towards the film side after my next two projects get released.

#27 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

so i'm not sure if anyone here would know, but i'm very curious to find out whether or not i could possibly buy vintage CG animations on some sort of DVD collection...so far i haven't been able to dig anything up, but i'm sure they've gotta exist somewhere.  right???

#28 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:03 AM

there's something so admirable and charming about the way these early CGI shorts were created...really is amazing, actually.  the limitations they had made creativity a necessity to get noticed, and even the bad ones are pretty good as a result of that.  highly recommend googling some of these shorts up-- the compilations for them are actually kind of expensive, wonder if they're a rare collector's item now or something?

#29 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

I posted this in cool shit, but it is some serious animation boy!

#30 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

^ for me, there's a super fine-line when it comes to CG animation.  typically, i don't really like it; it's only the charm of the old, "shitty" looking ones from the '80s and older which i really find amazing...in the case of this one above, it's okay.  my complaint for this (and most of today's CG) is that it looks semi-real; it looks just real enough for you to realize that it totally isn't, and it makes everything look weird and distracting.  i would've probably preferred stop-motion, as cool as it looks...to me, the world of CG should embody a surreal, incomprehensible space where your own imagination is your only weapon.  i mean, did you see those videos i posted?  what the fuck was half of that stuff???? idk, but i know it's something i'll never see in real life.

this blending of CG animation and real-world visuals kinda rubs me the wrong way unless it's done perfectly...and that's a pretty uncommon thing, i can probably count every instance of truly 'great' CGI on both of my hands, if that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users