• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 D1LLAD0NUTS

D1LLAD0NUTS

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:26 AM

Very new to this forum but have been lurking for some time now... ;) I would consider myself a dilla enthusiast (hence the username) but was wondering what you think about this release? Donuts has been released, re-released, re-re-released, etc..Don't get me wrong I am not trying to bash but I'm simply trying to get peoples views on it.

33 1/3 TO PUBLISH 'J DILLA'S DONUTS,' A 130-PAGE BOOK ABOUT THE ALBUM AND ARTIST.

Posted Image

• February 25, 2014

In the store | J DILLA'S DONUTS (33 1/3 Books)

Written by Jordan Ferguson. Pre-order for April 24th release.

If there was ever an album we've released which could inspire a 130-page book, it's J Dilla'sDonuts – one of our proudest releases, by an artist we were blessed to work with, and a work that took on special significance when J Dilla passed away just after it's release. 33 1/3 books (a series devoted to classic albums) is publishing the title J Dilla's Donuts on April 24th.

Author Jordan Ferguson interviewed pretty much everyone associated with the album's creation - Stones Throw's PB Wolf, Jeff Jank, Eothen Alapatt - and many of Dilla's associates in his L.A. and Detroit years. The book is not merely a behind the scenes look at the creation of Donuts, but a look at Dilla's career as a whole, his influences, his music styles, and the art of the music itself. The jacket reads, "Drawing from philosophy, critical theory and musicology, as well as Dilla's own musical catalog, Jordan Ferguson shows that the contradictory, irascible and confrontational music found on Donuts is as much a result of an artist's declining health as it is an example of what scholars call 'late style,' placing the album in a musical tradition that stretches back centuries."

In coming weeks we hope to publish an excerpt from the book.

About the author: Jordan Ferguson is based in Toronto and writes on his own blogPoetry for Grave Diggers.

About the publisher: 33 1/3 Books is a series of short volumes each devoted to a classic album. Published by Bloomsbury, the series was launched in 2003 and has published nearly 100 titles.

Posted Image

#2 GC90

GC90

waxramble / Discogs / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:02 AM

I've read the Paul's Boutique and Doolittle books in the series, they were pretty good. These are all written by different authors though, so hopefully Jordan Ferguson is a good writer lol - Happy to see they talked to Egon, stupid politics didn't get in the way of writing the book it seems. Will be grabbing this on Kindle when it's available.

Welcome to STMB :)

#3 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:42 AM

I have read a few of these and they were all well researched and interesting. Def wanna check this one out.

#4 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:15 AM

i want to buy it im just to lazy to actually type in my credit card info they need paypal, ill get it tho nice idea i just hope it isnt the same ol similar!!!!!
  • James Frank. likes this

#5 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

Donuts has been released, re-released, re-re-released, etc..Don't get me wrong

maybe i do have you wrong. i know it was released, then re-released as a 45 box set, but what are the others I'm missing?

#6 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

maybe i do have you wrong. i know it was released, then re-released as a 45 box set, but what are the others I'm missing?

There was that version with the 'smiling Dilla' that was exclusive to Abercrombie & Fitch or something.
  • ynqhead, mixupsupreme, GC90 and 2 others like this

#7 D1LLAD0NUTS

D1LLAD0NUTS

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

There was that version with the 'smiling Dilla' that was exclusive to Abercrombie & Fitch or something.

^ hahaha

#8 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

There was that version with the 'smiling Dilla'

that's the album cover. it's on the book.

#9 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:18 PM

Understandiing the context of Donuts....the time of release to his death (RIP).... all the posthumous releases....in turn, new Dilla/Jay Dee fans discovering his back catalog... Donuts reissue.... re - reissue.... Anyone else have the agony that the actual album (THE MUSIC) was and is underrated and possibly looked past?

My experience pre-Donuts with Donuts was banging the fuck out of Dilla's Myspace.... I can remember Two Can Win on repeat "click" day after day leading up to the release.
Copped it the day it was release (shit was in my daily planner for a month)... all I can say is it was the only thing I listened to for months.
It's a masterpiece.
I was on when SV Vol 1 came out, and Donuts blew away what I thought Dilla's sound would come out to be.

WIthout a doubt, this album deserves praise and a book dedicated to it.
If it was up to me, the federal government would give it a monument or holiday. Stones Throw's brightest moment.
  • SunnyMeadowz likes this

#10 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

that's the album cover. it's on the book.

That was the original CD cover. The LP cover was the illustration.

Posted Image

October 03, 2011

Back late 2005 when we were getting ready to release J Dilla's Donuts, we made a casual decision to use a drawing for the cover of the 2LP vinyl release, rather than the standard cover photo of Dilla used for the other releases. Dilla himself had requested "something like that Quasimoto album," and still to this day the inside fold out of the Donuts CD fits together with the inside foldout of Quasimoto's Further Adventures album.

Fast forward 6 years, the retailer Urban Outfitters asked Stones Throw if they could carry the album in their stores, just as long as it comes with the photograph on the cover.

So here it is, better late than never: J Dilla's classic album Donuts now released on vinyl with the smile on the cover - available now.

So yeah...
  • SwampThing and GC90 like this

#11 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

I was at a street party over the weekend and this one guy who I wouldn't have picked as be a hip hop head, on seeing the (home made) Dilla t-shirt I was wearing, followed me into the supermarket there and yelled out, "Jay loves Japan but Dilla loves Donuts!" Not sure if that's a standard call out to Dilla fans or if it was some insight into the Dilla's work and the pre-eminence of Donuts.

#12 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:01 AM

looks like an ipad at first glance lol

#13 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

I was at a street party over the weekend and this one guy who I wouldn't have picked as be a hip hop head, on seeing the (home made) Dilla t-shirt I was wearing, followed me into the supermarket there and yelled out, "Jay loves Japan but Dilla loves Donuts!" Not sure if that's a standard call out to Dilla fans or if it was some insight into the Dilla's work and the pre-eminence of Donuts.

what is your homemade Dilla shirt, what's on it?

#14 Goodz047

Goodz047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Wax

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

Haha nice. Here's my home made attempt:

http://instagram.com/p/STngiEOHLD/

#15 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

I haven't posted in some time and it's definitely good to be back. I'm about to place my order for the Lootpack EP and for this book on Donuts. Sonically, Donuts is one of the most amazing studio efforts in history. I catch on to new chops and new arrangements within his beats with every listen: it's dumbfounding. I hope this book will help contextualize even further the inspiration behind the album.

Speaking about Dilla, I went to a Slum Village show here in Miami last month. The show was billed as a Jay Dee tribute, otherwise I don't think anyone in their right mind would ever care to see Illa J, T3, and Young RJ perform as a group. Unfortunately, Slum tribute shows are about as close as enthusiasts such as many of us will ever get to the God.

#16 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

The show was billed as a Jay Dee tribute, otherwise I don't think anyone in their right mind would ever care to see Illa J, T3, and Young RJ perform as a group.

harsh words there, but i'm afraid it might be true.
  • GC90 likes this

#17 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

Isn't that the new SV line up?

#18 Small Pro

Small Pro

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

that can't be a thing. i hope not.

#19 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

That excerpt they posted just cinched the deal for me.

#20 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

Same here. Btw that mix you made was raw!
  • SunnyMeadowz and James Frank. like this

#21 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:17 PM

#22 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

Anyone read any of the other titles published in this series? They got a whole lot of different authors writing about a whole lot of different records from all different genres, and there are a handful of hip hop albums that they cover. I read the one some dude wrote about the first Tribe album. It was a good read but I think it was more a personal reminiscence about how revisiting the record 20 years after it was first released. With this book though it looks like the author really did his research. Like the rest of y'all I'm looking forward to this too.

P.S. What mix are they talking about, Sunny?

#23 GC90

GC90

waxramble / Discogs / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

Yeah these are all written by different authors so it all really depends on who wrote each one. I've read the Paul's Boutique and Pixies Doolittle ones which were pretty good. The excerpt from this one looking good too

#24 Jimmyfunkvalve

Jimmyfunkvalve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:29 AM

agreed, this one is looking good and the one for Paul's Boutique was excellent.

most of the other hip hop efforts got bad reviews so i never bothered with them.

the one for Illmatic in particular was supposed to be terrible.

I think it depends if it's a book based on the author's personal opinion about the album (like, who the fuck cares?) or if it's a book based on in-depth interviews with those involved.

Also with hip hop it depends if the samples were cleared or not, i mean talking about the samples and how they were used etc is fairly vital imo. I loved the track-by track analysis of Paul's Boutique. plus it joined the dots between that album and madlib's magpie-like sampling ethos, which i thought was a nice touch.

#25 QuincyBanks

QuincyBanks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

Finished the book yesterday. Great read!

#26 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

I picked up my copy today after special ordering it at a brick and mortar. It looks absolutely amazing after just skimming through it.

EDIT: My copy says:

First Published 2014

Reprinted 2014 (twice)

That's just awesome!

#27 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,507 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:10 PM

the one for Illmatic in particular was supposed to be terrible.

im reading it at the moment its fucking boring so is the dj shadow endtroducing one

#28 joel kariid

joel kariid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/joel-kariid

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:19 AM

Wow I gotta get this. Huge fan of Donuts. Bought it the day it came out! 

#29 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

Started reading this yesterday, really enjoying it! I've only read a third of the way into it but it's like reading a lesson in pure hip hop (production) history. At times I was thinking this is all great but what does it have to do with Dilla? and then the author comes back to Dilla's method, dedication and mastery and the way he disregarded all the established rules of production and even close to 20 years ago was making out of this world beats that would ultimately changing the production game.

#30 WaldoH

WaldoH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Started reading this yesterday, really enjoying it! I've only read a third of the way into it but it's like reading a lesson in pure hip hop (production) history. At times I was thinking this is all great but what does it have to do with Dilla? and then the author comes back to Dilla's method, dedication and mastery and the way he disregarded all the established rules of production and even close to 20 years ago was making out of this world beats that would ultimately changing the production game.

Dope review of 33 1/3% of 33 1/3 Donuts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dilla, donuts, jaydee, dilladawg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users