74 replies to this topic

#61 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

damn I dip from the thread for a minute and people are debating gentrification (as much as it can be "debated" logically haha...yeesh)
Gentrification is mostly terrible. Unfortunately it seems to be an unstoppable wind of change, it's just the damn wheels of nature turning as they always have. Spike is always going to see things along racial lines, that's just who he is, and while it is a racial issue nothing speaks louder than cash, and moreover it's all about the vicious cycle of developers taking advantage of wealthier folks willingness to fork over more cash, which isn't better for them really in the long run, when they could have lived in the same neighborhood for less to begin with). It's about the unspoken idea of paying more for a "safer" "quieter" "cleaner" "modern" living experience, which while inherently is technically "better" for the community (many of whose residents will have to leave), results from the "seedier" (read: poor, or sometimes minority) elements being driven out, which is not fair nor right nor moral really.

#62 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

This may not be your intention, but your post reads something like "poor people will always exist so making them even more disadvantaged by moving them from places where they can more easily find work/decent housing won't matter a whole lot". Gentrification doesn't make poor neighborhood "nicer", and it doesn't pump money into the hands of the poor. The economically disadvantaged generally don't have the income to live in a place where Whole Foods holds a monopoly on grocery. It forces the poor to move (which is expensive) into areas that may be underdeveloped and more difficult to live in. Which is lame.

alright, so you've called me out. now tell us, Primate-- what's your solution? take all the $ out of those greedy white hipster's pockets and spread it around in some idealist Marxist society? i love how people tell me my argument is unsound and insensitive and yada yada yada, yet they never put up a counter-argument or pose any sort of solution. but really, the only way to eliminate the problem of "poor people" is to completely uproot our economy and start some weird Zeitgeist society where we all exchange bread and shit instead of having $...obviously, that's not a practical solution, and I can bet $ that nothing like that will happen anytime soon, if ever.

yes, poverty is shitty. so how is it bad for the community in general when things like public education, police presence (i.e. response times) and property values are improved upon? gentrified cities/towns/sections are no more disproportionate in their poverty levels than most other places; i get the martyrdom for people who have shitty lives, but...whatever, it's not going to be a peachy keen life for every single one of the ~7 billion people on the planet, there's NOTHING that we as a society can do to alleviate the unfortunate stark realities of life on planet Earth. at least gentrification is an attempt at bettering a project or an incredibly poor area, regardless of whether or not you have some chip on your shoulder for people who (for whatever reason) are financially better off than others.

#63 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

at least gentrification is an attempt at bettering a project or an incredibly poor area, regardless of whether or not you have some chip on your shoulder for people who (for whatever reason) are financially better off than others.

The fundamental problem with gentrification is that it doesn't benefit an incredibly poor area/housing project. It picks it up and moves it somewhere out of sight so the "greedy white hipsters" don't have to be scared when walking alone at night. They are the people who benefit. Poor people don't benefit from gentrification, because they're no longer there. The word gentrification stems from the word "gentry" which is a term used for the wealthy. Gentrification as a system requires the poor to be relocated. Faster police times, better education, and police presence are not luxuries they recieve under gentrification. So under the system, the poor people are still poor, undereducated and unsafe, just somewhere else, which more often than not puts them in an even worse situation.
And to your question, I don't have an answer. I never really claimed to have one either. I'm just trying to clarify that gentrification does nothing productive for poor communities like you claim it does. (And for the record, I'm not one to discriminate based on wealth. Danton 4 Life)
  • D'MosPhree and James Frank. like this

#64 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

well i definitely see what you're saying, Primate, and i think it's something we can both agree on (to an extent) that living conditions in poor communities suck. i think there are a hefty percentage of people saying wtf in their unexpected dispossession and all that, and they certainly have good reasons for being angry.

however, i think you and many others who use this line of reasoning are discounting the people who do benefit from it, because they do exist. and i'm not referring to the white hipsters either, i'm referring to those people who by some circumstance are stuck in a particularly poor/"bad" area of town and are working to elevate themselves and their surrounding community in some way or another. those people are typically happy when they finally do see things getting done, and they can as you put it "walk alone at night without being scared"...i mean, that is a legitimate concern lol, who the hell would want to live in an area where you have a good chance of being mugged or offered hard drugs on every single block 24/7? and i'm sure there are some who agree with me living in these areas.
  • DJ Primate likes this

#65 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:28 AM

however, i think you and many others who use this line of reasoning are discounting the people who do benefit from it, because they do exist. and i'm not referring to the white hipsters either, i'm referring to those people who by some circumstance are stuck in a particularly poor/"bad" area of town and are working to elevate themselves and their surrounding community in some way or another.

It is those people who have worked to make these neighborhoods livable that are being forced out, these hipster cats aren't moving into areas where you hear gun shots on a daily basis and there is a crack head on every corner.

#66 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

It is those people who have worked to make these neighborhoods livable that are being forced out, these hipster cats aren't moving into areas where you hear gun shots on a daily basis and there is a crack head on every corner.

alright-- well, i think the one thing we can all agree on (including Spike Lee) is that hipsters are douches...and Do the Right Thing is one of the best hip-hop films of all time.

#67 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

God Dam!! what happened after the cup cakes!!
Money, poor people, value, objects, survival, etc, etc, etc,
1st James it will all end for the better sooner than you think, also there will be no money, we will not need it. ( Not when we're all awake enough to see that we don't need it)
2nd Nature hasn't always ticked away like this, it's not exactly natural what is going on, attack survive hide, run, duck cover, it's a little caged ball where your trained up to hopefully be inserted into a job somewhere to keep the machine ticking over, without questioning why about any of it. Reality is distorted and unbalanced, this is why most people can not help themselves to react in certain ways, they have limited access to the right side of their brain, and us that do have access have a harder time living in this reality as we can see what is wrong, as it's actually harder to function for us, as the world really wasn't designed with our best interests at heart.

To be poor I would have to allow the belief of solid objects actually having any worth what so ever, this is impossible for me as everything is vibrating energy, that is held in place by a frequency, I would also have to value things more than myself (that ain't happening !!) Now as for some so called economy, where is it, I can see the control system of how some are herded into pens, and others drink with the Elite for managing to snag a couple of kids in the back of a van sneak them across the world to some politicians house to be sexually abused, But to acknowledge that money makes my worth, would make me worthless, to acknowledge it exists, makes it have power over me, but the moment I see what money is, and it is nothing more than an " I owe You" note, then I have total control and power over one of the most corrupt manifestations of greed ever. We're at a crux at the moment, the shift will occur, and this is part of the pressure that is building up, it has to all change, it's like holding a ball down under water, your going to have to let go at some point, it has to return to it's natural state. It's not the way the world is, it's the way it's been manipulated.

#68 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

God Dam!! what happened after the cup cakes!!
Money, poor people, value, objects, survival, etc, etc, etc,
1st James it will all end for the better sooner than you think, also there will be no money, we will not need it. ( Not when we're all awake enough to see that we don't need it)
2nd Nature hasn't always ticked away like this, it's not exactly natural what is going on, attack survive hide, run, duck cover, it's a little caged ball where your trained up to hopefully be inserted into a job somewhere to keep the machine ticking over, without questioning why about any of it. Reality is distorted and unbalanced, this is why most people can not help themselves to react in certain ways, they have limited access to the right side of their brain, and us that do have access have a harder time living in this reality as we can see what is wrong, as it's actually harder to function for us, as the world really wasn't designed with our best interests at heart.

To be poor I would have to allow the belief of solid objects actually having any worth what so ever, this is impossible for me as everything is vibrating energy, that is held in place by a frequency, I would also have to value things more than myself (that ain't happening !!) Now as for some so called economy, where is it, I can see the control system of how some are herded into pens, and others drink with the Elite for managing to snag a couple of kids in the back of a van sneak them across the world to some politicians house to be sexually abused, But to acknowledge that money makes my worth, would make me worthless, to acknowledge it exists, makes it have power over me, but the moment I see what money is, and it is nothing more than an " I owe You" note, then I have total control and power over one of the most corrupt manifestations of greed ever. We're at a crux at the moment, the shift will occur, and this is part of the pressure that is building up, it has to all change, it's like holding a ball down under water, your going to have to let go at some point, it has to return to it's natural state. It's not the way the world is, it's the way it's been manipulated.

I'm guessing you have listened to Bill Hicks...

#69 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:24 AM

Legendary !! he hits that point so well about important knowledge being shoved under the carpet, to distract with the weather, subtle hint at what the news is for there. The Irony is the footage is really old, this isn't new knowledge, but how people freak out if you mention one little thing outside of their thought box, they can't compute it or take it on board so you become the lunatic, or a comedian. And when your getting too much fame and people listening to you, you either work for the THEM, and become completely soul less, or they delete your so called physical existence as the being that you are in this lifetime, When we are everything, and I mean all of us, the idea of separate races, cultures, individuality, become a complete illusion, how can pure light, be well off, how come there wasn't German , French, Chinese, African, before the land was ripped apart and then each little bit given a name,like Great Britain, a tiny little island, with how much fucking power to destroy. Are we really defective creatures, that can only access 10-18% of our brain, or is it the fact we're not allowed to access certain parts, due to being fiddled with. Can we really be that out of touch with ourselves we can't even see most things are set up to separate the natural bond between us all, yeah we can, they have done one hell of a job on us, I can sound dam fucking preaching by I'm caught by the same shit, give me an hour or two, I'll be checking out hoodies, trainers, computer games, Toy's for my kid, which is a classic, am I a good parent or simply helping program my child for the system, it's where you wake and and see McDonalds is so far from a treat for a child. Everything is so much more simple than it really looks, for complete change all you need is everyone to stop on the same day, boom down comes the house of cards,

#70 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

Spike is claiming he listened to 500 songs, so I guess the interns whittled it down for him:

Dear Backers,
How Is Everybody Doing? Fine I Hope. I Have Just Finished Listening To Over 500 Songs That Were Submitted By Unsigned Artists And They Did Not Disappoint. We Got Some Hip-Hop, R and B, Rock And Roll Serious Joints. We Have Received An Abundance Of Work From Talented Artists. It Is My Hope That Maybe Labels May Want To Sign These Unsigned Artists (Now Of Course Not Everybody Wants A Label Deal But I Think It's Good To Make That Choice). And Talking About Music, The Great BRUCE HORNSBY Will Be Recording His Score For The New Official Spike Lee Joint DA SWEET BLOOD OF JESUS. And Dat's Da Truth, Ruth. Ya-Dig? Sho-Nuff. By Means Necessary. Doin' It 'Till Death. Right On. Right On.
Peace And Love,
Spike

#71 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,971 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Translation:

Jesus Christ That Took My Unpaid Interns A Long Ass Time! There Is No Way In Hell We Are Listening To One More Fucking Song. This Shit Is Pure Torture. For The Love Of Christ Stop Sending Me Songs And Send Me More Money Instead. [Insert Ridiculously Long String Of Popular Phrases That Make Even Less Sense When Strewn Together]
  • DJ Primate and James Frank. like this

#72 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

...I'll just let you guys find out whenever the movie comes out.
  • Dirty Cyclist likes this

#73 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:38 AM

Translation:

Jesus Christ That Took My Unpaid Interns A Long Ass Time! There Is No Way In Hell We Are Listening To One More Fucking Song. This Shit Is Pure Torture. For The Love Of Christ Stop Sending Me Songs And Send Me More Money Instead. [Insert Ridiculously Long String Of Popular Phrases That Make Even Less Sense When Strewn Together]

Ha ha! I wonder if he even knows he's making a film then ;)

#74 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

Spike is claiming he listened to 500 songs, so I guess the interns whittled it down for him:

Dear Backers,
How Is Everybody Doing? Fine I Hope. I Have Just Finished Listening To Over 500 Songs That Were Submitted By Unsigned Artists And They Did Not Disappoint. We Got Some Hip-Hop, R and B, Rock And Roll Serious Joints. We Have Received An Abundance Of Work From Talented Artists. It Is My Hope That Maybe Labels May Want To Sign These Unsigned Artists (Now Of Course Not Everybody Wants A Label Deal But I Think It's Good To Make That Choice). And Talking About Music, The Great BRUCE HORNSBY Will Be Recording His Score For The New Official Spike Lee Joint DA SWEET BLOOD OF JESUS. And Dat's Da Truth, Ruth. Ya-Dig? Sho-Nuff. By Means Necessary. Doin' It 'Till Death. Right On. Right On.
Peace And Love,
Spike

what's up with every single word being capitalized? Why Does He Type Like This Lol
  • Dirty Cyclist likes this

#75 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

what's up with every single word being capitalized? Why Does He Type Like This Lol

haha, I didn't even notice that. Only one word not capitalized...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users