• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

You know I'm playing with you about that cringe worthy thread. For me 'making beats' or 'producing' or whatever the hell you wanna call it is the logical extension of DJing. The Madlib has said on numerous occasions that he was a DJ first and foremost as were many beatmakers. I know that was the case for myself too. In the '70's there were no rap records, shit for awhile there weren't even rappers yet! The DJ may be the fundamental element but that element is the foundation for sooooooooo much more. Those early DJs were just doing what they could with the tech that was available to them at the time. I hear what you're saying Dr. Phil but for me personally I will still stand by what JF. is saying.

Toerag !! fair enough Holmes, I really think the elements need updating to be honest, the whole thing when I look at it on paper just doesn't look right, especially if being literal, which I was poking fun at, at the same time it's all about the moment we end up doing what we do to remember, 5th element should be Beat production, a recording of what has been so it can be shown again and again. It should be acknowledged as a major part of Hiphop, Also what this has brought to my attention is everything we do, we think of doing first, we then produce that into the physical world, everything is an expression physically of what is going on creatively we need to do what we do, how we do it, look at what the simple statement has done to this page it's in total frenzy, up in arms !! at what though.......simply being told what you can't do to your beat to be accepted, it's what we all have in common on here, but look again it's a bit deeper what we're being told, now that is the root of Hiphop! :D
  • Tastik BEATS likes this

#32 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

at the college radio station i DJ at, this guy came in during the weekly hip-hop show and explained that there were in fact 8 elements of hip-hop...so i guess the number of elements is even debatable, because i've heard different things from different sources. but i do agree with ODK that there are 4 main elements--it just seems that he's failing to realize that those 4 elements are extremely broad, and inherently cover all sorts of other lesser elements that help comprise hip-hop just as much.

#33 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:14 AM

There are 4 elements. How could there be 8?! Tho, I would love to hear his explanation @JamesFrank. Of course there are are always sub elements, but at the heart, there are 4. Just like there is fire, earth, air and water, 4, there is also ....lightning, waves, leaves and rock. You know what ai am saying?? If you keep that theory up, it's like the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. You ca extend it to anything.

Keep it simple. Only four.

By the way, @jamesFrank, did the dude have an extremely long black coat, hadn't bathed in a few days, and smelt like raw catfish, fermented in pickle, piss juice?? Just curious.

C'mon Son!!

#34 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:57 AM

• BroKing likes this

#35 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

at the college radio station i DJ at, this guy came in during the weekly hip-hop show and explained that there were in fact 8 elements of hip-hop...so i guess the number of elements is even debatable, because i've heard different things from different sources. but i do agree with ODK that there are 4 main elements--it just seems that he's failing to realize that those 4 elements are extremely broad, and inherently cover all sorts of other lesser elements that help comprise hip-hop just as much.

Tell homie to take his backpack off. SMH

#36 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Tell homie to take his backpack off. SMH

Posted Image

#37 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Who cares how many "elements"? Why not just do what you want?
  • Dirty Cyclist likes this

#38 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Who cares how many "elements"?

thank you

#39 miss stress

miss stress

NOT HERE FOR IT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

Waaay too old for this topic

exits

#40 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

Aren't a lot failing to realize I'm joking in a literal context, you know Autism Holmes, surprised you didn't spot the underlying tone in the way I put things over, just saying as well the elements are funny, you stick to them you can't go anywhere from being rigid, they're like health and safety legislation and law they need updating. So Dj'ing could broaden into making the bed Hoovering, cleaning the chimney, Knitting, Making Cup cakes !! I'm tempted to record myself talking so it can be heard and avoid all this confusion, but I'm finding the responses being so literal really funny to be honest, and it's 9 elements
Street Clothing, Street Speech, Street Business, Beat Boxing, and Knowledge, I could go by KRS's Hiphop Gospel like others follow their books, but I don't want that to become the way it is, for me living it like a religion would suck. Also James you done enough Beat Battles , since when did I ever follow any rules or guidelines, or stick to things rigidly, c'mon man!! your arguing the same thing I'm trying to point out, but I'm trying to show it in a different light. I've said this a million times rules and guidelines are for unconscious brains, reative people that are not pro- active.

No one ever picks up on the finer detail, which I have hinted at already about us all having something in common, about the thing we don't like, that being the root essence of it all that's the bit where I was being fairly serious, no one at all, this page is repeating the last page, the element thing is so last week ( Or is it so 70's ) doesn't really matter considering the I don't give a fuck responses, didn't think I'd see that in a Hiphop forum.
  • James Frank. likes this

#41 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

^ making cupcakes is soooooo hip-hop.

#42 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

LOLZ

Posted Image
  • SunnyMeadowz, D'MosPhree and Dirty Cyclist like this

#43 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,102 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

I call dibs on the one with the Give The Drummer Some & Three Feet High covers!

#44 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

Those cakes are amazing, those shell toes are sick!! the beastie boy cake looks like a diabetics worst nightmare come to life as well.

#45 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

Doesnt still dre have no samples ? Except for drums which doesnt count. I think hip hop can be produced with or without samples. Allot of producers these days are makeing there own tracks from scratch including the drums. Sampling isnt fundamental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9oNHowrg4w

2:20

an interpolated sample is still a sample...

(bonus at :29 if you wanna hear that Kendrick Lamar sample)

#46 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Spike Lee waiting on them joints from independent artists like ...

Posted Image
  • GC90 and James Frank. like this

#47 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:46 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9oNHowrg4w

2:20

an interpolated sample is still a sample...

(bonus at :29 if you wanna hear that Kendrick Lamar sample)

Oh shit. I didnt even realise this. I thought the sound in still DRE was keys. lol thanks

#48 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

Spike Lee waiting on them joints from independent artists like ...

Posted Image

he's going to get so much trash lol, this is clearly a mistake in the making. i mean, look at our message boards-- look how much spam we get constantly, and we're just a who-gives-a-shit niche community of music enthusiasts/beat makers. can you imagine what that submission inbox looks like already?
  • D'MosPhree likes this

#49 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

That mother focker right there...Posted Image

#50 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

4200 songs?! Is he really going to listen to them all:

Dear Kickstarter Backers,

Hope Everyone Near And Far Is Well And Safe. I Have Been Overwhelmed By The Wealth Of Unsigned Talent Out There. When I Asked For Music To Be Submitted I Never Thought We Would Receive 4200 Songs from 2500 Artists. Now I Have The Great But Hard Task To Listening To Each And Every Song. I'm Sorry There Are Few Spots Open For The Film. Keep Making Great Music.
Peace And Love,
Spike Lee

#51 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

I Never Thought We Would Receive 4200 Songs from 2500 Artists. Now My Unpaid Interns Have The Great But Hard Task To Listening To Each And Every Song. I'm Sorry There Are Few Spots Open For The Film.

Fixed
  • GC90 likes this

#52 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

I Don't Understand How To Use The Shift Key Properly

Fixed x2
  • James Frank. likes this

#53 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Fixed x2

nor do I know what that even means...

#54 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

4200 songs?! Is he really going to listen to them all:

Dear Kickstarter Backers,

Hope Everyone Near And Far Is Well And Safe. I Have Been Overwhelmed By The Wealth Of Unsigned Talent Out There. When I Asked For Music To Be Submitted I Never Thought We Would Receive 4200 Songs from 2500 Artists. Now I Have The Great But Hard Task To Listening To Each And Every Song. I'm Sorry There Are Few Spots Open For The Film. Keep Making Great Music.
Peace And Love,
Spike Lee

wait a minute, those numbers don't match-- 4200 songs from 2500 artists? that means that like 60% of the people who submitted something sent him 2 or more tracks haha...what assholes, don't they realize that strategy never works?

#55 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:14 AM

Fixed x2

Haha

#56 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61kq0RJJhY0

so what is the consensus here on the boards about Spike Lee's rant from the other day?
can you IMAGINE the sort of backlash we'd see if a famous white filmmaker went on a 12 min. rant saying he was against the idea of more black people moving into the town he grew up in? i don't really see the difference. i also don't really see how gentrification could be considered a bad thing; to me, elevating the community even just slightly in economic terms is probably a more favorable outcome than leaving things the way they've been for years. i mean, c'mon, his arguments involve an example of the cops showing up 'too fast' nowadays, and some anecdotes about white hipsters bogart-ing everything...what year is this again?

#57 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

The problem with gentrification is that the people who use to make up the neighborhood can't afford to live there once rents start to go up and Whole Foods takes over the local shops. Thus, the working poor are put out of their communities so that even more concentrations of poor people can live in the neighborhoods that have yet to be gentrified. Poor people don't get to live in those expensive ass apartments...

P.S. Once you get a clear understanding of the history of open housing in this country it may make more sense of what he's talking about. For less than 50 years whites have had to let minorities move in to their neighborhoods only because for so long they refused to allow any to live near them. Shit, back then practically every white person talked like Spike in that clip just increase the hatred by about a million percentage points.

#58 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

The problem with gentrification is that the people who use to make up the neighborhood can't afford to live there once rents start to go up and Whole Foods takes over the local shops. Thus, the working poor are put out of their communities so that even more concentrations of poor people can live in the neighborhoods that have yet to be gentrified. Poor people don't get to live in those expensive ass apartments...

P.S. Once you get a clear understanding of the history of open housing in this country it may make more sense of what he's talking about. For less than 50 years whites have had to let minorities move in to their neighborhoods only because for so long they refused to allow any to live near them. Shit, back then practically every white person talked like Spike in that clip just increase the hatred by about a million percentage points.

yep, very good point Sunny-- i do get that side of it, of course, and i do feel for those people who just get ousted from their longstanding communities in the face of drastic changes. but to me that seems like a much bigger issue: the idea that poverty is bad in general, which i think most of us can agree with. but that's just kind of an unfortunate side effect of the economy in general-- there's always going to be some percentage of dispossession and poverty regardless of where you go, so the best thing to try and do is minimize that percentage by pumping money into communities that need it most.

if Spike Lee is so invested in the area he grew up in, then why did he move out? why doesn't he lead by example and stay there, i mean he is quite wealthy...i'm sure his presence alone would help increase property values, isn't that what he wants? i would imagine that he wants to better his community, and i can guarantee that there are now more opportunities to make a living in those areas of NY than there were before.

#59 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

http://www.huffingto..._b_4875545.html

#60 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

yep, very good point Sunny-- i do get that side of it, of course, and i do feel for those people who just get ousted from their longstanding communities in the face of drastic changes. but to me that seems like a much bigger issue: the idea that poverty is bad in general, which i think most of us can agree with. but that's just kind of an unfortunate side effect of the economy in general-- there's always going to be some percentage of dispossession and poverty regardless of where you go, so the best thing to try and do is minimize that percentage by pumping money into communities that need it most.

if Spike Lee is so invested in the area he grew up in, then why did he move out? why doesn't he lead by example and stay there, i mean he is quite wealthy...i'm sure his presence alone would help increase property values, isn't that what he wants? i would imagine that he wants to better his community, and i can guarantee that there are now more opportunities to make a living in those areas of NY than there were before.

This may not be your intention, but your post reads something like "poor people will always exist so making them even more disadvantaged by moving them from places where they can more easily find work/decent housing won't matter a whole lot". Gentrification doesn't make poor neighborhood "nicer", and it doesn't pump money into the hands of the poor. The economically disadvantaged generally don't have the income to live in a place where Whole Foods holds a monopoly on grocery. It forces the poor to move (which is expensive) into areas that may be underdeveloped and more difficult to live in. Which is lame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users