Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

I thought I would post this since no one else has:

Spike Lee wants to include your music in his new Kickstarter Joint - DA SWEET BLOOD OF JESUS. We are now accepting submissions for ONLY R&B and Rap songs by Independent/Unsigned Artists. The music is inconsequential to the subject matter of the film.
You can send in your music to bloodofjesusmusic@gmail.com. We are ONLY accepting mp3 files. NO SAMPLES. In your email you MUST provide the following information in the same format as it appears below or your submission will not be accepted. (We will not confirm receipt of submissions.)
GENRE:
ARTIST NAME:
SONG TITLE:
LYRICS BY:
MUSIC BY:
PRODUCED BY:
PUBLISHER:
LENGTH OF TRACK:
EMAIL:
PHONE NUMBER:
We will be accepting submissions until Friday, February 28th.
YA SLOW YA BLOW
YA SNOOZE YA LOSE
YA-DIG? SHO-NUFF
AND DAT’S DA TRUTH, RUTH
http://bit.ly/bloodmusic

• Tastik BEATS likes this

#2 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:41 AM

they're gonna get SO MUCH GARBAGE and it will not be spike lee listening to the hours of music, but INTERNS.

"only unsigned" = "we want to pay you a couple hundred dollars instead of a couple thousand"
  • Dirty Cyclist likes this

#3 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

they're gonna get SO MUCH GARBAGE and it will not be spike lee listening to the hours of music, but INTERNS.

"only unsigned" = "we want to pay you a couple hundred dollars instead of a couple thousand"

Mountains of garbage!

If I produced music and was unknown, I'd be okay with 40 acres getting my track for a few hundred dollars just for the exposure...
  • D'MosPhree likes this

#4 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

no samples?!? foh, that's not hip-hop...
  • D'MosPhree and Dirty Cyclist like this

#5 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

That's what I was thinking. It's nearly irrelevent to the STMB circle.
  • D'MosPhree likes this

#6 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

No, but it is TV/film. Thanks to antiquated copyright law, pharrel's plastic keyboard beats are the sound of modern music and Dilla & Madlib's soulful samples are the stuff of indie labels.

#7 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

No, but it is TV/film. Thanks to antiquated copyright law, pharrel's plastic keyboard beats are the sound of modern music and Dilla & Madlib's soulful samples are the stuff of indie labels.

yeah, but there is such a thing as sample clearance-- and if Lee was truly looking to spark some sort of musical revolution with the soundtrack of this next film he would not rule out the idea of sampling...in fact, since he has roots in the genre he should be encouraging it, telling contestants to list whatever they sampled so that whichever few actually make the cut can be properly cleared and left intact, as-is. i guess that's why he cleverly didn't use the term "hip-hop" in the description, only rap and r&b...yuck.

(i'm still submitting something though)

#8 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

haha more of Spike utilizing (read: taking advantage of) the general public on this next movie.

I was pissed about that kickstarter for it, and this is just a logical extension of that. He's definitely about to pay these people absolute peanuts, that's the only reason he's doing this.
  • James Frank. likes this

#9 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:31 AM

not 100% tru

#10 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

not 100% tru

actually, it kind of is Tastik. the essence of hip-hop has always been re-contextualizing breaks and arranging them into new tracks...i get what you're saying about artists sometimes playing their own melodies and instruments, but no. i still would disagree lol, because 9/10 times the artist is still just using a MIDI keyboard to play notes on a fake, digital piano/synth/etc. that somebody else originally played, i.e. sampling the sounds. the 1/10 exceptions are the producers like Shlohmo that actually can play a guitar or drums or something, and even then they usually have a style that was in some respects "sampled" by another musician they looked up to before they deviated enough for it to be called their own...so yeah, sampling's everywhere in hip-hop-- at least that's what i think.

#11 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

haha more of Spike utilizing (read: taking advantage of) the general public on this next movie.

I was pissed about that kickstarter for it, and this is just a logical extension of that. He's definitely about to pay these people absolute peanuts, that's the only reason he's doing this.

shut up fakkit. be happy your music can be in a fuckin movie idiot.
  • BroKing likes this

#12 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

I tossed $75 at that kickstarter and got a cool, signed poster of the movie If God Is Willing and da Creek Don't Rise...

To me, Spike would be the man even if he only made Malcolm X. I don't always agree with him, but his Filmography is a "mother fucking body of work" https://www.youtube....ScO6Vh7ug#t=172

#13 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

actually, it kind of is Tastik. the essence of hip-hop has always been re-contextualizing breaks and arranging them into new tracks...i get what you're saying about artists sometimes playing their own melodies and instruments, but no. i still would disagree lol, because 9/10 times the artist is still just using a MIDI keyboard to play notes on a fake, digital piano/synth/etc. that somebody else originally played, i.e. sampling the sounds. the 1/10 exceptions are the producers like Shlohmo that actually can play a guitar or drums or something, and even then they usually have a style that was in some respects "sampled" by another musician they looked up to before they deviated enough for it to be called their own...so yeah, sampling's everywhere in hip-hop-- at least that's what i think.

Actually according to the 4 main elements of Hiphop, Production isn't in there, Ironically Tastik is technically right, if there's no production then there's no sampling, which actually means sampling has nothing to do with Hiphop ? :wacko: I can't believe it works out like that ! now I'm confused, regardless we should all be looking at the positives of the opportunity to get ya songs heard.
  • Tastik BEATS likes this

#14 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

celebrities using crowd-sourcing will always be bullshit, sorry Bro. But Spike has made a lot of amazing movies, and I don't blame anybody for tossing 75 to get a signed poster, that's for sure. It's a double edged sword, but since I'm not a musician I can focus on the other edge.

But thanks for posting this regardless, I do genuinely hope one of y'all ends up in this weird spike lee vampire movie even if he pays you $100.

#15 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

celebrities using crowd-sourcing will always be bullshit, sorry Bro. But Spike has made a lot of amazing movies, and I don't blame anybody for tossing 75 to get a signed poster, that's for sure. It's a double edged sword, but since I'm not a musician I can focus on the other edge.

But thanks for posting this regardless, I do genuinely hope one of y'all ends up in this weird spike lee vampire movie even if he pays you $100.

I hear ya. If it wasn't for the rewards, it would be total BS, but no one made anyone pledge money and there was some cool shit to be had... I don't mind Spike doing it, but if it was James Cameron... well sheeeit...

#16 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

yikes... just trying to hip people who make music about an opportunity...

I don't mean it in an angry or aggressive way. I just assume almost everyone here uses samples. It is a great opportunity though regardless of Spike's motive.

#17 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

Spike Lee did something like this and phawked over a designer for the "Oldboy" poster.

#18 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Spike Lee did something like this and phawked over a designer for the "Oldboy" poster.

I don't know the story, but both Spike's Oldboy movie and the poster were both pretty phawked.
  • DJ Primate and SwampThing like this

#19 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

Oh man, that sucks if Spike or his teamed screwed a little guy... I'm hoping Juan is trying to make a name for himself...

http://www.businessi...-claims-2013-11

http://www.uproxx.co...e-lee-responds/

#20 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

Actually according to the 4 main elements of Hiphop, Production isn't in there, Ironically Tastik is technically right, if there's no production then there's no sampling, which actually means sampling has nothing to do with Hiphop ? :wacko: I can't believe it works out like that ! now I'm confused, regardless we should all be looking at the positives of the opportunity to get ya songs heard.

actually, gotta disagree with you ODK. if you think back to the event that's widely considered to be the origin point of hip-hop, 8/11/1973 at 1520 Sedgwick Ave. in the Bronx, then you'll recall that DJ Kool Herc was the DJ at that party. and what did he do? he pioneered a new genre by (get this) taking reggae and funk records and playing only the break in that particular song, physically spinning the records backward to rewind the break and play it again...in other words, he took a source material and placed it into a new context. that sounds a lot like a primitive form of sampling to me, even if "production" isn't explicitly listed as an element of hip-hop. however, DJ-ing is...and in essence the DJ becomes a producer making beats on the fly, so in that sense production is the single-most important foundation of hip-hop.
  • GoodFNeLla likes this

#21 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

9/10 hip hop needs sampling.

#22 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:27 AM

actually, gotta disagree with you ODK. if you think back to the event that's widely considered to be the origin point of hip-hop, 8/11/1973 at 1520 Sedgwick Ave. in the Bronx, then you'll recall that DJ Kool Herc was the DJ at that party. and what did he do? he pioneered a new genre by (get this) taking reggae and funk records and playing only the break in that particular song, physically spinning the records backward to rewind the break and play it again...in other words, he took a source material and placed it into a new context. that sounds a lot like a primitive form of sampling to me, even if "production" isn't explicitly listed as an element of hip-hop. however, DJ-ing is...and in essence the DJ becomes a producer making beats on the fly, so in that sense production is the single-most important foundation of hip-hop.

Find me something recorded and released of Kool Herc, he didn't sample, he didn't produce, he innovated the mix, the rewind etc not all DJ's produce either, the beginning essence of Hiphop was it being in the moment, and not being recorded, production actually has nothing to do with Hiphop, I wouldn't call what Qbert, Scratch Pickles, and what they do, production on the fly, it's Dj'ing, it's making a beat, If it's not in the main 4 elements it ain't in the main 4 elements, it is what it is, took me all night to wrap my head around it. Im sure I've heard KRS say all this and others, feels like I'm throwing up stuff that I have heard and it's only popping out the memory banks now. All 4 elements are physical expression as well, nothing about sitting infront of anything.

Fire = emcee
Air = Graf
Earth = Dj'ing
Water = Breaking

I dont think the categories of Producer help at all either, Wikipedia will tell you a Hiphop producer really means performer, doesn't help when we swerveball so much in the way we use language to start making things fit together for our own purposes, like inventing categories later, because the original blueprint gets lost of what something is, like the roots. Now whoever this chump is has now basically said all of the above elements are Hiphop production, by saying a Hiphop producer is a performer ( Insert facepalm at human minions opinion of this and putting it up online), Only one element I can see which has a produced thing at the end is Graf, until it gets painted over. One of the problems we have is what we think a word means, to what it actually means. So if it's nothing to do with Hiphop what are we doing with all these samples ( I am kind of poking fun at the whole thing as well Holmes, it's funny cos it's provable by fault of words and opinion)

#23 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:25 AM

Doesnt still dre have no samples ? Except for drums which doesnt count. I think hip hop can be produced with or without samples. Allot of producers these days are makeing there own tracks from scratch including the drums. Sampling isnt fundamental.

#24 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:22 AM

For me, Spike's filmography ends with 25th Hour, everything after that is Spike Lee lite. It's been pure mediocrity and I'm sure this film will be the same.
  • SwampThing likes this

#25 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,026 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:41 AM

JF. is correct about everything he said. The argument that Dr. Phil is pushing is worthy of the 'Cringe Worthy' thread, sorry man. And what Projexion said with regards to Spike's movies is also 100% on point. Oh, and this is just an easy way for him to not have to pay people the appropriate amount of money for their labor. No exposure will come of this even if your shit was used as the opening title song.

Thread over.

#26 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

For me, Spike's filmography ends with 25th Hour, everything after that is Spike Lee lite. It's been pure mediocrity and I'm sure this film will be the same.

Oh wow... I liked Inside Man and the New Orleans documentary stuff. Sure, Inside Man is no Do The Right Thing or Malcolm X, but for a Hollywood type movie, I thought it was well done.

JF. is correct about everything he said. The argument that Dr. Phil is pushing is worthy of the 'Cringe Worthy' thread, sorry man. And what Projexion said with regards to Spike's movies is also 100% on point. Oh, and this is just an easy way for him to not have to pay people the appropriate amount of money for their labor. No exposure will come of this even if your shit was used as the opening title song.

Thread over.

Am I Dr Phil? Old, fat and white, sure... but mother fucking Dr Phil?

#27 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

Spike Lee at Hoffman's funeral.

Posted Image

Is he wearing lifts?
  • SwampThing likes this

#28 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

Thread over.

I have said it's made me feel weird writing it as it sounds, just saying what Iv'e learnt from what KRS has said, Cringe worthy Holmes ? I hope your not taking me too seriously I hope ;) James isn't 100% correct, you agree with him, as I can see where Tastik is coming from, doesn't make any of us right though as it is just opinion, and when I start trying to explain using english grammer which is not the best tool to use for communicating it's turned into a bigger mess, purely because of perspectives and opinion. No one would cringe if KRS or Kool Herc etc said it and heard it or read it from KRS's book, but this white chump right here saying it (thats me by the way), trying to work it out, and becoming aware of certain things as I go gets it in the neck !! How does that work when the guys that have invented this movement are the ones that have layed the fundamentals down but they ain't being pulled up on it, Aye hows that bloody work!!.... I go to all that trouble of working the 4 elements out so they actually fit and work, hows it cringy Holmes, please explain young Master of the Meadowz that is Sunny. ( I'm still pulling peoples legs on this by the way)

#29 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

Oh wow... I liked Inside Man and the New Orleans documentary stuff. Sure, Inside Man is no Do The Right Thing or Malcolm X, but for a Hollywood type movie, I thought it was well done.

Am I Dr Phil? Old, fat and white, sure... but mother fucking Dr Phil?

Nah Mayne I'm Psychoanalytical Behemoth Mind trick advocate I'm the Dr !! B)

#30 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,026 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

You know I'm playing with you about that cringe worthy thread. For me 'making beats' or 'producing' or whatever the hell you wanna call it is the logical extension of DJing. The Madlib has said on numerous occasions that he was a DJ first and foremost as were many beatmakers. I know that was the case for myself too. In the '70's there were no rap records, shit for awhile there weren't even rappers yet! The DJ may be the fundamental element but that element is the foundation for sooooooooo much more. Those early DJs were just doing what they could with the tech that was available to them at the time. I hear what you're saying Dr. Phil but for me personally I will still stand by what JF. is saying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users