• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

Hey there.

So i'm in the midst of writing scripts for a web series i plan on shooting the first season of later this year where i make a sorta hybrid show...it's going to be reviews, but the catch is that whatever i choose to review i have to sample from and make a decent beat out of. the show's evolved a little since i first came up with it to where i think i'm going to separate the two aspects of the show...do a straight-up review with an [adult swim] like bump at the end where i play my beat during the credits. and then i'll provide links to either a different video or possibly a different channel even where i post straight up how-to videos showing how i made a certain beat.

anyway, when i first envisioned the show i was going to only review the shittiest vinyl that i come across digging...but so far neither script i've written involves vinyl at all, and instead are reviews of old obscure television shows that i got a hold of. i still plan on doing vinyl reviews, but i think i'm just going to make that an entirely different segment for the channel. the main issue i have (if tl;dr then just start reading right here) is that i can't seem to come up with a good channel name for this show, or a good name for what i'm going to go by in this series...

so with all that said, anybody got some good name ideas? i'm sure i'll get a bunch of sarcastic responses, but i'm still keeping positive that at least one good idea will come from this thread. and if not then fuck it, i'm sure i'll figure something out eventually-- i'm just trying to get a little brainstorm going here.

#2 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

Not really much of a specific idea, but for my own site I just mashed the things I intended on doing until I found something that flowed reasonably well "waxramble". Might think about the different ways of saying sample/flip/beat/joint/etc and somehow combining that with terms that could relate to the old records/wax/vinyl/vids/obscure/unique thing you're trying to do. Also might want to keep in mind what type of domains/usernames that are still available for use if you're trying to do that as well.

"uniquebeat" is maybe a little corny, but as of writing it's an available .com domain anyway :)
  • James Frank. likes this

#3 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

no such thing as writers block.

#4 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

I think your idea for a show reviewing old, shitty, obscure things is great, and you would be very good at it. I would urge you not to put out any beatmaking videos (Dislike the term 'beatmaker', it makes it sound like you put them in a microwave or something. You are a writer, a beat writer.) Beatmaking videos are almost exclusively the concern of wannabees and tryhards, your output is better than that. Set yourself apart from the crowd by NOT joining in with that. You could of course use music you made from the items you reviewed as background music, and link to your music pages. I don't understand why people watch beatmaking videos, it's like watching a video of somebody washing dishes, while you have a pile of dirty dishes sitting in your sink. Would Miles have made or watched a trumpet playing video? No. Does Madlib make or watch beatmaking videos? No.... Aim high bro.

Unsolicited advice aside, you could call your review show James' Frank Reviews, or just Frank Reviews maybe. Good luck with it.

#5 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

^ that's a pretty good point actually. i think the idea of a review show would last much, much longer than a how-to make beats series, so i was racking my brain trying to figure out how to marry the two ideas together. the idea is that i was trying to set myself apart from both camps (online reviewers of things and 'beat-writing' videos) by combining them to set myself apart, but yeah...i would really prefer to not show everyone all the tips and tricks i've learned over years of doing this shit. i don't wanna be like that one masked magician guy that reveals all the most famous tricks and fucks it up for all the other magicians lol...

Good luck with it.

also, thank you. i'm excited to record the first two scripts i've already finished-- one is for Donkey Kong Country (the TV show) and the other is for this really weird pre-Disney adaptation of Winnie the Pooh with puppets...

#6 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

I think your idea for a show reviewing old, shitty, obscure things is great, and you would be very good at it. I would urge you not to put out any beatmaking videos (Dislike the term 'beatmaker', it makes it sound like you put them in a microwave or something. You are a writer, a beat writer.) Beatmaking videos are almost exclusively the concern of wannabees and tryhards, your output is better than that. Set yourself apart from the crowd by NOT joining in with that. You could of course use music you made from the items you reviewed as background music, and link to your music pages. I don't understand why people watch beatmaking videos, it's like watching a video of somebody washing dishes, while you have a pile of dirty dishes sitting in your sink. Would Miles have made or watched a trumpet playing video? No. Does Madlib make or watch beatmaking videos? No.... Aim high bro.

I watch beat making videos manly because I get a kick out of watching someone create. I am not looking for a how to or samples to steal. I will agree that most beatmaking videos are made by wannabes and cats just making the same old tired trap or boom bap beats, which why these days I mostly watch "professional" vids form series like rhythm roulette. I would imagine Madlib and Miles did't have to resort to these tactics because they had/have musicians and producers around them to help inspire and push them forward. I have found very few people who create music that I'm interested in around my area.

#7 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

Cool man, just having scripts puts you ahead of about 85% of interwebz video makers, who apparently don't give any/much thought to what they are going to say until after they hit record on the webcam!

Donkey kong tv series was fucking weird.

#8 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

I watch beat making videos manly because I get a kick out of watching someone create. I am not looking for a how to or samples to steal. I will agree that most beatmaking videos are made by wannabes and cats just making the same old tired trap or boom bap beats, which why these days I mostly watch "professional" vids form series like rhythm roulette. I would imagine Madlib and Miles did't have to resort to these tactics because they had/have musicians and producers around them to help inspire and push them forward. I have found very few people who create music that I'm interested in around my area.

Yeah I do get that, just think time is better spent doing the thing, than watching the thing bein done. Miles def had instruction, think Otis figured shit out himself. I'm not dissing.

#9 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

I can't argue with that man, it would defiantly help me if I wasn't so lazy.

#10 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

Donkey kong tv series was fucking weird.

yes it was.

#11 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

• D'MosPhree likes this

#12 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

^ does that advice from DOOM count towards non-musical endeavors though?

#13 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

I think it pretty much implies to all forms of creative endeavors, maybe not technical writing and things of that nature.

#14 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd8cys4Beh0

DOOMposter alert! That's just Branden Jacobs-Jenkins with a pillow in his sweater...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users