32 replies to this topic

#1 Wenzel Dashington

Wenzel Dashington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

That beat is WASTED on domo and fucking earsweater bringing the snooze rap over MADLIB BEATS. Gibbs whole vibe doesn't even mesh with what these squares are rapping about.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

what about the beat though?

#3 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

I dig both Earl and Domo, but I agree this should have just been a Freddie track imo.
He was the only one who got the flow right I think.

Edit: Also, I have no idea what the Mac Miller feature will sound like but I'll call that as my skip track ^_^

Can't wait for March.
  • BroKing and Abracadaver like this

#4 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:36 AM

Earl + Domo cannot handle this beat, for whatever reason. But Gibbs and the beat itself save the track.
The soundscape of this album is going to be amazing. Very cohesive. I am predicting a lot of instrumental plays. Better be available on wax!
  • GC90 likes this

#5 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:48 AM

Can't wait for the OF fad to pass...
  • BroKing, GC90, gEEchieDan and 2 others like this

#6 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

looped up part of the same sample when i first got my 404 years back, haven't heard it in a while, definitely still feeling the vibe, not really into the guest spots either but i guess i can stomach them for some fresh madlib beats

#7 jay_the_bad_kid

jay_the_bad_kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Madlib, Quasimoto, Otis Jackson Jr, Lord Quas ... oh yeah and DOOOM.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

On repeat just for the beat ...

Posted Image

#8 Small Pro

Small Pro

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

Edit: Also, I have no idea what the Mac Miller feature will sound like but I'll call that as my skip track ^_^

second'd

#9 4444

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

Think I've heard the beat a loooong time ago. Maybe on a mix or a random yt video? It was bit faster than this version.

I hope the album plays well and doesn't feel too feature-heavy. EP's built some hype.

#10 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

#11 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

I think eventually they'll grow more mature/their sound will follow/etc (thought Wolf was a good example of this direction).

What I'm tired of is all of them being shoehorned into tracks/features where they don't sound right on the beat or just shouldn't be rapping with the other artists. Guess it's hard to resist cashing in on the OF fans though.

#12 Wenzel Dashington

Wenzel Dashington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

The reason why gibbs and MADLIB work is because it's an exercise in aesthetics. there is a focus on beats and gibbs rap style. This is why having features, especially snore raps from odd future or WACK Miller are a particularly a BAD Idea.
  • GC90 and gEEchieDan like this

#13 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

The reason why gibbs and MADLIB work is because it's an exercise in aesthetics. there is a focus on beats and gibbs rap style. This is why having features, especially snore raps from odd future or WACK Miller are a particularly a BAD Idea.

Yeah like in last post, this really comes down to making more $$$$ I imagine vs wanting to specifically work with these dudes. Danny Brown's an exception though, FG got a feature on Old :P

#14 AleisterBenway

AleisterBenway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

is ST releasing it? and i dont mind Earls verse.

#15 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

is ST releasing it?

Nope, Madlib Invazion (Rappcats)

#16 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

There are 13 features on this album. There are 17 tracks. That's too many features man.
  • D'MosPhree and gEEchieDan like this

#17 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:37 AM

There are 13 features on this album. There are 17 tracks. That's too many features man.

FOR REAL!!

Now I can see why its taken years to get this project out.

#18 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

Wonder who else will be paired up, if anybody. Casey Veggies and Mac Miller? they're more OF affiliates aren't they? Why are there so many young ass rappers on this?

#19 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

Why are there so many young ass rappers on this?

Like Gun Crazy said, $. Appeal to their young fan base and try to make a few more sales/illegal downloads. At least The Madlib will most likely be exposed to a pretty sizable amount of new listeners because of it.
  • GC90 likes this

#20 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

Green Power

#21 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:31 AM

Robes is tight. Gibbs kills it of course but the other too don't ruin anything for me and are pretty damn smooth IMO. Guest verses seem to suit the concept of the album: “a gangster Blaxploitation film on wax”. And the beat is exceptional.
  • ynqhead likes this

#22 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

im just happy new madlib is coming i dont do odd future tho but oh well otis is gettin recognition
  • ynqhead likes this

#23 Fake Krills

Fake Krills

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

felt the same way about this originally, but i'm actually excited to hear a lot of different rappers over some madlib beats. it should be very interesting. also, i am a big Gibbs fan, but too much Gibbs is NOT a good thing, and that's why he's yet to really release a magnum-opus.

at this point, i'm fully expecting Pinata to be a good album, one i listen to a lot, but not the best thing to come out of either madlib (obviously) or gibbs. i hope this is a nice foreshadow to future Gibbs works, when he really comes into his own and can hopefully continue to get new beats from Otis.

very excited for this release, and haven't listened to Robes yet, although I am a fan of Earl apparently contrary to the majority of this site, which is cool and i fully understand it. Any way you wanna look at it Doris was dope though, and people who "cant wait for the OF fad to fade" are probably gonna have to keep waiting. For as many people who despise them, there seems to be 10 that love them.

#24 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

I'm actually an Earl fan myself, enjoyed Doris thoroughly. And I like your optimism about hearing new people on Madlib beats, that's definitely a good way to look at things. I hope they're all up to the challenge, I'm definitely excited about the Raekwon track. But I gotta say in my opinion neither Earl nor Domo sound like they can ride on that beat properly. It's funny because Madlib in the press release for the album was saying that it takes a special kind of rapper to rhyme properly on his stuff, like Freddie or DOOM. And I think this track is a really good example of that, because the first two verses just sound off to me, they're alright verses but they don't sound great over the beat. And then Gibbs shows up and it's like "oh, okay so this is a flow that actually fits the beat". I've always sorta taken this whole "Gibbs is a master rhyme technician" narrative that a lot of people on this board push with a grain of salt, but that moment of realization definitely has sorta turned me towards that way of thinking, even though his subject matter gets a little repetitive.

I was really disappointed in Earl on this track, considering he's such a self-proclaimed madlib fan and this is his first shot at one of his beats.
  • GC90 likes this

#25 Wenzel Dashington

Wenzel Dashington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

neither Earl nor Domo sound like they can ride on that beat properly. It's funny because Madlib in the press release for the album was saying that it takes a special kind of rapper to rhyme properly on his stuff, like Freddie or DOOM. And I think this track is a really good example of that

Plus OF is wack. They need their lazy, basic, underdeveloped production to accentuate their boring, supposedly "shocking and controversial" rhymes. I don't got time for these niggas to "mature as rappers." There are niggas that rap better and are younger than the OF kids(joey baddass).

Listen to these cats on this song. then listen to how gibbs arrives on the track. They are TOTALLY out of place, and aren't fitting no "blacksploitation theme." Was either of their flows rememberable?

#26 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

And I think this track is a really good example of that, because the first two verses just sound off to me, they're alright verses but they don't sound great over the beat. And then Gibbs shows up and it's like "oh, okay so this is a flow that actually fits the beat". I've always sorta taken this whole "Gibbs is a master rhyme technician" narrative that a lot of people on this board push with a grain of salt, but that moment of realization definitely has sorta turned me towards that way of thinking, even though his subject matter gets a little repetitive.

Summed up my similar feelings quite well! This track def made me come to that realization as well.

#27 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

lol domo sounds the best on this beat

#28 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:38 AM

Go see Gibbs live. He is an outstanding performer. The couple times I've seen him he will rap acapella numerous times throughout the set to really emphasize what a great flow he has. Look beyond the subject matter and he is easily one of the most technical cats doing the damn thing in the rap game.

#29 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:59 AM

^this.

#30 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

I dont know what your problem is. I think Gibbs sounds more like a poorly thrown together blend while the other two sound more "live" than Gibbs. Recorded through a potatoe maybe? I dont know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users