#1 Tacitus

Tacitus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/peepingtomthumb

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

Hi ST fam.....

Been a good break over xmas and the likes, but ready to get back to work (apologies for falling off the beat battles and the likes - i work on a PC so when i break from work i avoid them like the plague!)

Went to sample some drums from my break collection into a new Akai s900 i picked up on my xmas break, but noticed i have misplaced a few plates.

I have three sections, hiphop records, break records / drum breaks and SAMPLES........this worked for a while, but i now have a ever growing collection of samples and im curious.

How do you organise your records?

A to Z / Genre / Type of samples contained on the record?

Keen to see how people do this!

Peace

#2 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

Genre. there are albums that you let ride. and there are albums that you cut up. I take pride in the ones that I let ride.

#3 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

yeah genre

hip hop albums, hip hop 12", section for 'beat scene'/trip hop/downbeat/r&b etc, classic rock, prog & psyche, soul/funk. jazz, breaks/compilations, soundtracks, easy listening (good stuff),repress stuff (of any mainly soul/funk/jazz)), junk section of just random shit for sampling

#4 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:45 AM

I sort my records pretty much the same way as shaky finch, but I keep the records that I haven't sampled out on the side until I do so then I file them in with the rest. I also have a junk pile of records that had nothing I wanted to sample or the ones that are just complete trashed (warped or scratched all to hell).

#5 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:14 AM

so do you guys alphabetize those sub-categories as well? i started out just straight up alphabetizing all my records, but as you can imagine that got very tedious after a while. it seems weird to go from A-Z for one genre, then A-Z all over again for another; but it seems to make it a whole lot easier for archiving and storage...so idk. all i do know is that next week i'm going to IKEA to get me a shelving unit finally.

#6 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

I sort by genres and then eras within that genre.

I don't alphabetize, too much work.

Also bottom shelf is where I put the stuff I never touch, sort of like bottom shelf liquor.

#7 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

I keep everything straight alphabetical by artist (if I have multiple releases of same artist I put in order from earliest release to most recent) and keep an excel spreadsheet of everything. In my spreadsheet I put Artist, Album, Release date and whether or not it's a reissue, Label, Catalog Number, and lastly, what genre(s) I consider it and what types of samples are on it. If there's a drum break I'll put break, if it's a nice piano solo, I'll put piano. I also sticky note records labeling what samples and what tracks on which side have said samples. Records I haven't listened to, I keep on a seperate shelf and add them to the official collecion when I am familiar with the sounds and samples.

I used to do genres but realized it was dumb becuase I'd forget where I put what because lots of albums have elements of multiple genres. I'm thinking of redoing it by label becasue it looks dope when they're lined up and it'll get me even more familiar with what labels are my favorite and what years/artists/credited performers/instruments I'm looking for.

#8 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

Right now I have a 2x2 Expedit shelf, one is ST records (basically full), one + half for new records, half for old/used/$1 bin stuff, and last one for box sets. Actually got a 1x1 Expedit as well to put recent purchases.

When I finally get my records from home to my new place I'm gonna get a 4x4 and organize a bit differently, probably by genre at that point.

#9 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

Expedit is the shit

#10 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

There's no rhyme or reason behind my record organization process. I enjoy being able to pull some random shit. I used to organize first by style of music and then in alphabetical order, but nowadays it's random

#11 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,510 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:27 AM

I sort my records pretty much the same way as shaky finch, but I keep the records that I haven't sampled out on the side until I do so then I file them in with the rest. I also have a junk pile of records that had nothing I wanted to sample or the ones that are just complete trashed (warped or scratched all to hell).

oh yeah sorry i have a 'new in section' haha, go through it all before filing away

#12 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

so do you guys alphabetize those sub-categories as well?

I don't alphabetize, too much work.

Expedit is the shit

I really want some of these shelves but I can't really afford them right now, not to mention I don't really have enough records to justify the purchase.

Right now I'm just rocking these two record crates I got online and all the trash records are leaned against the wall until I get rid of them. But its about time for another crate.

#13 Tacitus

Tacitus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/peepingtomthumb

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

thanks for all the replies.

I'll keep doing what i do i think, if anything, i'll sort the entire lot by Alphabet as i agree with orchidthegreat - i know one day i'll stick something in a soul section and realise its got phyc parts or vice versa - then not be able to find it.

Expedit units are the shit!!

I filled up my 4x4 and just copped a 2x2 for my hiphop / breaks / new records...

Found my Sly record, If only i could find my Deodata record. :huh:

#14 Beatronome

Beatronome

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beatronome

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

By alphabet, after that chronological per artist.

#15 MaddMannMatt

MaddMannMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

I'm thinking of redoing it by label becasue it looks dope when they're lined up

I just moved and I was thinking of trying this. I was also considering putting each label in chronological order instead of alphabetical.

Also, how do you guys sort Madlib albums, specifically YNQ and the YU solo artists works or OJ Simpson? I keep separate sections for my favorite artists but feel like I need another copy of Madvillany to complete the DOOM section.

What other alphabetical exceptions do you make? Do the JBs and James Brown go next to each other?

#16 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

for the IKEA Expedit shelves, did any of you guys purchase them with the castors?
i've been considering getting those add-ons, in the event that my basement floods-- i want those extra few inches just in case. what do you guys think? can they support that kind of weight?
  • GC90 likes this

#17 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

Posted Image

still under construction, none of it is sorted out yet.
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#18 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

I just moved and I was thinking of trying this. I was also considering putting each label in chronological order instead of alphabetical.

Also, how do you guys sort Madlib albums, specifically YNQ and the YU solo artists works or OJ Simpson? I keep separate sections for my favorite artists but feel like I need another copy of Madvillany to complete the DOOM section.

What other alphabetical exceptions do you make? Do the JBs and James Brown go next to each other?

I file artists under where I think it belongs. YNQ, is Madlib, so it would likely be filed in Madlib. Same with JBs/James Brown. Chronologiacl order is my favorite way to go. I like moving forward through an artists career and see how their intrepretation of music changes with time.

@James Frank. You gonna need another one soon. I started out with crates like you, and then a nice 2x4 Expedit just like that, and now things are out simply of hand.
  • James Frank. likes this

#19 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

I file artists under where I think it belongs. YNQ, is Madlib, so it would likely be filed in Madlib. Same with JBs/James Brown. Chronologiacl order is my favorite way to go. I like moving forward through an artists career and see how their intrepretation of music changes with time.

@James Frank. You gonna need another one soon. I started out with crates like you, and then a nice 2x4 Expedit just like that, and now things are out simply of hand.

i think i've still got a ways to go...i still haven't even listened to a good 50% of the records i already have. easily could make several projects just from what i have now.

#20 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

for the IKEA Expedit shelves, did any of you guys purchase them with the castors?
i've been considering getting those add-ons, in the event that my basement floods-- i want those extra few inches just in case. what do you guys think? can they support that kind of weight?

Been wondering about this too. Think I'm gonna pass on them though given the weight of records plus it costs a bit more

This is what my collection looks like at my new place lol, need to pick up a 4x2 Expedit myself (and a bunch of furniture, place is empty/ghetto right now)

Posted Image
  • James Frank. and Dirty Cyclist like this

#21 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

ey nice wall color tho

#22 Kip

Kip

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

I typically organize my records based on stuff i purely wanna sample from and stuff i wanna listen too. And both sections are "roughly" organized by genre. Like to keep it relatively simple

#23 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

Been wondering about this too. Think I'm gonna pass on them though given the weight of records plus it costs a bit more

This is what my collection looks like at my new place lol, need to pick up a 4x2 Expedit myself (and a bunch of furniture, place is empty/ghetto right now)

Posted Image

I would definitely sacrifice having a legitimate place to sit or relax if it meant I had all my records with me and a way to listen to them.
  • GC90 likes this

#24 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

http://www.factmag.c...-expedit-shelf/

#25 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

^ Yeah I saw that yesterday, but I'm pretty sure cats will find away around it. If anything some cat will probably start building these shelves their self and sell them.
  • SunnyMeadowz likes this

#26 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

Ikea without Expedit is like Disneyland without rides and fireworks. Utter madness I say.

#27 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Posted Image

Finally got this all organized. Need to get a 5x1 Expedit for TV before they are out of stock.
  • D'MosPhree likes this

#28 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Here is the Expedit replacement, the Kallax. It uses less wood and helps Ikea comply with the Forest Stewardship Council eco guidelines.
Posted Image

#29 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

^ i.e. they just wanted to save the extra $ by making them less stable...
  • GC90 likes this

#30 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

• D'MosPhree and GC90 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic