Photo

What Headphones Do you Listen To Music With?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

One of my "Producer Friends" a veteran underground hip hop producer was just offered a deal today to have his own line of Headphones by a very well known and respected music technology company and I'm extremely happy for the guy, because I personally know how hard he works and dude does make good records after all, so lending his name to a signature line of gear would be a good look for him as well the underground hip hop community.

But with Dr. Dre being the crowned king in this arena and 50 cent the street king, along with other hip hop royalty such as Ludachris, Snoop, Diddy, Timbaland and Young Guru, jumping in the ring, I wonder if this market an oversaturated one?

Knowing the company my "Producer Friend" is working with, I know that some high quality product is coming down the pipeline possibly 2015-2016.

But what attracts the general consumer to such products?

So I ask these following questions:
  • What headphones do you guys own?
  • What made you buy them?
  • Are you satisfied with them?
  • Would you recommend them to your family and friends?
  • What are your favorite albums to listen to with them on?
I myself currently use a few pairs for different purposes.

Byernamic DT770 Pro 250 OHM for my studio.
Beats by Dre Mixr for DJing
Sony MDR-7506 for my smartphone.

So what are you guys using and why?

Pete wants to know!

#2 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

I never understood the headphone market. I have had this same conversation with a local college radio DJ of over twenty years and neither one of us are big on spending a considerable amount on headphones.

Since the nineties-I have always used Sony Studio Headphones. I've owned a few pairs. As long as they are noise canceling-they are good with me. I don't depend on them too much when cutting and scratching--say if I was doing a gig. Just for cuing and what-not.

Currently I use a pair of MDR-NC7. They are probably outdated. The studio type are the best--but I recall purchasing the types they used to have available commercially and loved those. The ones I currently have collapse so they are not that bulky.
  • DJ Pete Marriott, GC90 and Dirty Cyclist like this

#3 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

I use these (pic), from Urbanears.

I bought the, because they are black. My apartment is dark brown to Biege, in its color scheme so, I wanted black as it would not offend anything. These headphones also, have a good portion of fabric making up their jack to headphone wire and head strap. So, they seemed more "cool", unique. They were not like the big plastic ones like Beats By Dre. Since I was using them for home, the fabric side was more appealing.

Finally, the price. They were in the 30-40 dollar range, Vs the 100-200 dollar range of others. Also, were sold out of the Apple store, where I was shopping at the time.

So, for me, colour, texture, price, selling location.

They have good sound.

One bitch of a drawback is tho, the wire to jack connection is so fidgety. I have to constantly jostle it, to get any sound.

Posted Image
  • DJ Pete Marriott likes this

#4 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

I like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S, I used to use Sony MDR506 but decide when they quit on me that I wanted something a little nicer. I use my headphones for production and listening and I very pleased. I listen to everything with them, and I really like the bass respond they have.

I feel like this whole producer endorsed headphone thing is overdone. I personally wouldn't buy a pair of headphones just because someones name is on them. I kinda avoid these products anyway, I don't want anyones name on my gear.
  • DJ Pete Marriott and GC90 like this

#5 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

I have two pairs of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (One coiled, one straight wire), coil for computer and straight cable for turntable.I also have a few pairs of Sennheiser HD-202's and HD-201's for random stuff. When I'm out and about I use JVC Flats, they sound fantastic for the price and cheap enough I can replace when broken/lost/etc.

People who use Beats (or other shitty rapper headphones) are retarded, you can get much nicer headphones from legit companies for less.

Edit: Pictures

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#6 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

I have two pairs of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (One coiled, one straight wire), coil for computer and straight cable for turntable.I also have a few pairs of Sennheiser HD-202's and HD-201's for random stuff. When I'm out and about I use JVC Flats, they sound fantastic for the price and cheap enough I can replace when broken/lost/etc.

People who use Beats (or other shitty rapper headphones) are retarded, you can get much nicer headphones from legit companies for less.

Edit: Pictures

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Way to call me a retard Fam. By the way I didn't buy my Beats by Dre, they were a gift from the company and they are surprisingly good for DJing.

#7 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

lol, I honestly didn't even notice you mention that in OP. And your explanation is a fair one.

Here's a little rant about Beats:

Basically I will excuse all the NBA/NFL/Pop stars who wear them because they get the shit for free and a fat check for wearing them I imagine. I also think it's not a big deal if you get them for free or something as in your case?

My problem is with people who are buying headphones and will drop the money on overpriced junk. People won't think twice about buying them because they see their favorite star wearing them and because it's the newest cool fad. You can get superior headphones cheaper or you could spend the same amount of money and get something vastly superior.

The prob is that the people who wear buy beats don't care about sound or music (same fucking people who make pop music what it is). They just care about looking cool (and really just looking like tools). I can't take people seriously who wear beats. It's funny seeing grown ass adults wearing them and seeing little kids walking around with them who you know begged their mom/dads to buy the shit for them for bday/christmas so they can fit in at school.

If you think they look cool or whatever cool, but I know I'd be embarrassed appearing like I'm a sucker/don't care about music lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et_PWifUd1w

Edit: On the topic of your buddy getting their own brand or whatever through a company, hopefully they put sound quality over flashiness/branding.
  • DJ Pete Marriott and D'MosPhree like this

#8 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

I used to rock Bose over ear headphones. My friends and I joke now Bose stands for "buy other sound equipment". These days it's beats that's the overpriced joke. Any closed ear phones with hyped highs and lows are gonna convince kids that their shitty 128kbps YouTube rips sound better. But for a free hook up they'd make decent enough DJ cans. When I spin at a house party I use some cheap Behringher over ears. I use audio technica at-adh700s as late night mixing headphones, and some beats ear buds that came free with my HTC one for working out/making calls
  • DJ Pete Marriott and GC90 like this

#9 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

which ones are best-suited for the audio-visual experience that is #RealHipHop 1-3?
  • GC90 and Tastik BEATS like this

#10 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

which ones are best-suited for the audio-visual experience that is #RealHipHop 1-3?

You know james I was going to ignore you and your snarky comment, but I chose to address you instead, by asking you this:

Why are you making this post about me?

You do realize that this is what happened in the Beyonce post right?

Someone else made it about me, when the discussion was about the new business model for the album that was introduced through Beyonce.

But once again someone else is distracting us from the actual topic by making this about me.

Can we please stick to the script and please discuss HEADPHONES and HEADPHONES only please?

Thank you.

#11 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

Posted Image

On topic:

Anyone have a pair of Grado SR80i? If I had a use for another set of headphones I'd give these a shot, they look really comfortable and I've heard great things about the sound quality

Posted Image
  • Tastik BEATS and Dirty Cyclist like this

#12 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

You know james I was going to ignore you and your snarky comment, but I chose to address you instead, by asking you this:

Why are you making this post about me?

You do realize that this is what happened in the Beyonce post right?

Someone else made it about me, when the discussion was about the new business model for the album that was introduced through Beyonce.

But once again someone else is distracting us from the actual topic by making this about me.

Can we please stick to the script and please discuss HEADPHONES and HEADPHONES only please?

Thank you.

lol ^ it's just a joke, Pete...

#13 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

lol ^ it's just a joke, Pete...

Posted Image

#14 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,497 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:40 AM

i use cheap panasonic headphones (£25)...... cos they are cheap

#15 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:50 AM

Beyerdynamic, you can tell who hasn't used them, cos they use something else ha ha!! I use exactly the same DT 770 pro's 250 ohm, but!! thats when the Lady of the house is watching the T.V. I will be getting the DT880 Pro's on Friday, nice semi open for a more accurate mix, don't have to worry about sound bleeding out, and getting sneered at whilst the T.V dissolves her brain, when I use the 770's but need semi open for better detail. I used to use the same headphones for my smartphone but, the new Galaxy S4 doesn't get on with them, something to do with the audio engine of the phone, I have to use my old Sony headphones, that are pretty sick for £30.00, doesn't say what model, but they're black n silver.

And Pete, I think James was actually complimenting you with the visual comment, shows how we can all read things different to each other, we do need to put in brackets we're joking though, I think sometimes we imagine how someone has said something and it can be miles away. Here's a classic that happend the other morning and the internet is not even involved, Got my little girl sorted for school, she dressed herself, and noticed she has no tights on, I say you can't go to school with BEAR legs, she actually thought I meant she has Polar bear legs, or grizzly bear legs, she thought she was turning into a bear. All this came from watching Brave the disney film a few weeks ago, the mum turns into a bear from a spell. I triggered what she was freaked out about. So thanks Disney!!

#16 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:33 AM

I've broken too many pairs of expensive headphones to ever spend that kind of money again, comfort and durability are more what I look for and of course sound quality is key.

Seems like I'm the only one at the gym these days without Beats headphones, how is that even comfortable working out with those things on?
  • GC90 and Dirty Cyclist like this

#17 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:20 AM

Anyone have a pair of Grado SR80i? If I had a use for another set of headphones I'd give these a shot, they look really comfortable and I've heard great things about the sound quality

Posted Image

When I was looking for new headphones I was thinking about getting these the only thing that stopped me was the open back design.

#18 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:49 AM

• DJ Projexion likes this

#19 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:33 AM

I've broken too many pairs of expensive headphones to ever spend that kind of money again, comfort and durability are more what I look for and of course sound quality is key.

Seems like I'm the only one at the gym these days without Beats headphones, how is that even comfortable working out with those things on?

Only one dude at my gym rocks those, but they are so freakin huge, I always wonder, "wtf??!", "how are those comfortable?", " don't he sweat like a buzzard?".

#20 Constrobuz

Constrobuz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

i used to have the grado sr60i, they sounded great but werent very comfortable, and had a shit load of sound bleed but that didnt matter, not like i was waering them on a bus or a train or something. now i got some $60ish sennheisers, dont even know what model they are but theyre more comfortable than the grados and sound almost as good.

#21 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

I copped a pair of the RZA joints, but that was only because Guitar Center had them marked down. I'm honestly a guy that usually rocks the $20 holler joints from Ross or TJ Maxx. BOOM!
  • DJ Projexion, GC90, Dirty Cyclist and 1 other like this

#22 MattCoops

MattCoops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/mattcoopshiphop

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

$20 holler joints from Ross or TJ Maxx. BOOM!

When she goes there to shop, I'm looking at the headphones.
20 bucks well spent, and I have the rest of the money still in my pocket that I would've spent on "studio" headphones.
I rather spend the extra cash on vinyl.

As long as they're comfortable and it sounds good, I don't care what headphones I have.

#23 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

I rather spend the extra cash on vinyl.

Title of my autobiography, was gonna try to get it published but I spent the cash on vinyl instead.
  • GC90 and Dirty Cyclist like this

#24 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

When I was looking for new headphones I was thinking about getting these the only thing that stopped me was the open back design.

Yeah that's kinda the same thing for me as well. I've had open headphones before (Sennheiser HD-555) and they were great but the sound that leaks in/out was always a bummer.

#25 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

After spending so much time using the Sony MDDR506s and then the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s I find it hard to listen to 20 dollar headphones, I guess my ears are spoiled now.
  • GC90 likes this

#26 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

^Yup. those were the joints I was referencing. I had a tough time parting with mine when they broke. I just kept using them after they broke on me. The ones I had must have been mad old.

#27 Abracadaver

Abracadaver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

I bought these. Pretty nice. It was a first try at a decent pair of headphones.

#28 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

Seinheiser Hd 280 headphones

Brainwavez M50 earphones

I think audio techniqua athm50s are the most overated headphones ever...

#29 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

^ why?

#30 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

Seinheiser Hd 280 headphones

I think audio techniqua athm50s are the most overated headphones ever...

Funny, I went from the HD 280s to the ATH M50s. Sound was pretty good on the 280s but they were incredibly uncomfortable imo. I like the audio and the comfort of the ATH M50s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users