#1 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

http://www.mofi.com/aboutus.asp

Any super audiophiles screwing around with these Mofi releases?

This seems to be extreme next level listening... "Where we are going ... we won't need 180g pressings."

#2 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

i don't think i have the ears of an audiophile, but i kinda wish i did. but for me, there's not really much difference between a 320 kbps .mp3 file and a high-quality .wav file and a 44.1khz CD recording and a high-quality vinyl pressing.

#3 scojo

scojo

Rookie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

I have a few MOFI releases. They tend to be solid quality, but they're also very dependent on the quality of whatever source files they use for mastering.

As a general rule, you'll get similar quality from a VG+/EX/NM copy of an original pressing. That can be cost-prohibitive for some stuff, but with other albums (like the Stevie Wonder reissues) clean copies of early pressings are plentiful and cheap.

YMMV, of course. Also, you probably need some fairly solid gear to get the benefit - a stylus designed for DJs isn't going to extract all of the information from the grooves of these records as well as a more audiophile-focused cartridge. For example, I rock a Denon DL103R on a Jelco SA-750E tonearm in my custom Lenco L75-based deck. The downstream gear (phono pre-amp or SUT, power amplification, and speaker) are all also critical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users