Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Theres heaps of people complaining about new school rap on the radio and how it waterd down etc.

My question is, back in the late 80s and 90s when Hip hop was arguable at its prime, was the real Hip hop the stuff we like being played on the radio. Or was waterd down hip hop being played ?

basically in the 90s did they play the good stuff on the radio. Wu tang, nas, pac, big l etc. I could never imagine this stuff getting on the radio ?

any thoughts ?

#2 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/nick-papadopoulos-2

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Tough to answer.
What are you doing, trying to write a school paper?

A lot of the real hip hop music in the States was played on alternative radio stations in the nineties--meaning that there was also the college stations. The more commercial acts were the ones that received radio airplay presuming that they met the demands of the various urban radio stations in the various markets. In other words, you may have heard one song from the GZA or RZA if you were lucky.

Crap music came to popularity in the late eighties. Some of the new york based rap that appeared on the radio, was kind of weak, but that was what you were going to hear.
  • GC90 and James Frank. like this

#3 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Its just cause Iam interested in knowing. as people are always going on about how hip hop from the 90s is the only good stuff even though the only music they know about in the present is all the mainstream garbage

#4 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

The good stuff, that raw NY sound, was for the most part, all underground. It started to bubble up into the main stream with Biggie and Puffy. Before that, groups like Tribe, De La, were kind of like fringe mainstream or alternative. So, no, main stream radio, if they played any kind of rap music it would be MC Hammer and Young MC.

So, what does that tell you?

Edit.
This is as about as mainstream as good hip hop got.
http://en.wikipedia....ght_(soundtrack)
  • GC90 likes this

#5 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:34 AM

I disagree, yeah they were playing Vanilla Ice and Young MC but then again they were also playing Gang Starr and the Wu as well.

Mass Appeal was all over the radio, so was M-E-T-H-O-D Man.

Some of the harder stuff like Black Moon and Mobb Deep was played on the late night radio tip.

#6 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

So much easier to watch this,

And This

#7 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

they stil have 2pac and biggie on the radio and tv. but not the cool biggie songs

#8 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

I disagree, yeah they were playing Vanilla Ice and Young MC but then again they were also playing Gang Starr and the Wu as well.

Some of the harder stuff like Black Moon and Mobb Deep was played on the late night radio tip.

A lot probably had to do with your city. I know Wu were all up on MTV, with all the major hip hoppers at the time, but they were still, in my mind, kind of fringe. They had Rap City, to play the hip hop, because it wasn't in regular rotation.

Are you in NY?

#9 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

everything was different back then. if you wanted to hear r and b you had video soul and video lp. if you wanted to hear hip-hop you had rap city and yo mtv raps. plus, hip-hop was less watered down even though you still had to weed through the occasional gimmick
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#10 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

Facepalm!! guys I've saved you all the effort with those vids. go skin up and chill, Tastik has some learning to do.

#11 Sobermindedmusic

Sobermindedmusic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/sober-minded-music

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

Speaking of radio, the main difference of today and old school was that in the first Golden Era especially, there was a wide variety of the type of rap songs you would hear as opposed to today. In primetime of course you would hear the more popular ones more often. Take LL cool Js' Rock The Bells. But a one hour set would go something like this...

LL -rock the bells
x-clan- grand verbalizer
kid & play-Rollin with Kid and Play
some r&b song
jazzy jeff & the fresh prince -parents just don't understand
eric b and rakim-you know i got soul
eazy e-radio
some bobby brown song
public enemy-yo,bumrush the show
skinny boys-the human jockbox
slick rick-mona lisa
mc shy d-i've gotta be tough
mc lyte-cram to understand you
mc hammer- turn this mother out
rodney o & joe cooley-evrlaasting bass
ll cool j -rock the bells

Look at that variety. Today a radio station playlist would be like this

turnt up song
turnt up song
money over everything song
turnt up song
money over b$%%hes song
turnt up song
money song
turnt up song
murder kill
murder kill
turn up
murder,kill, get money then turn up

So it's not a matter of better or worse, but the availability of options.

#12 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

Yah, really,
It's not just the music that is not only generic and unoriginal... With everyone copying everyone, but the same for the lyrics.

Back in the day, cats bragged, but it was done cleverly. Now a days, it is so simple and unthoughtful not to mention the content. Foul mouthed, greed filled excess, crime ridden bravado... It's no wonder the bar is so low.

The sad thing is, it really has become the lowest common denominator. Sex, drugs, guns. It ain't what it used to be.

#13 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Like someone else said, it all depended on where you were loacated. If the larger radio stations wern't palying it, the college stations were and Rap City was holding it down along with Yo! MTV Raps. Honeslty, when I was growing up I was running home to watch YO! & Rap City and when I could catch the collage radio show, I'd dub that. I also was reading The Source & Rappages all the time. (before The Source became the utter garbage it became)

#14 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

I remember in 1999ish, I was probably 12, sitting in my mom's car while she was in the store, probably around 8pm or so (mind you, in small town North Carolina) and the instrumental for "Simon Says" came on and just played all the way through, no DJ shouting or anything, and I remember being tortured for years over what the hell that song was! Drove me nuts.

Anyways, what do ya'll think about people like Kendrick Lamar and that whole crew getting massive radio play amongst the other typical stuff? Like, I was surprised to hear my nephew ask me about ScHoolboy Q's "Collard Greens" the other day. That song's been out since June and is all over the place now. I think it's pretty rad.

#15 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

So much easier to watch this,

And This

This doesnt really answer my question. Its inisghtfull.

I know my hip hop history its just i didnt experience it.

What iam really asking was the radio the same as it is today. By the sounds of things, radio back in the time period im talking about was mc hammer and vanilla ice and if you wanted to find good stuff you had to look for it

#16 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:48 AM

This doesnt really answer my question. Its inisghtfull.

I know my hip hop history its just i didnt experience it.

What iam really asking was the radio the same as it is today. By the sounds of things, radio back in the time period im talking about was mc hammer and vanilla ice and if you wanted to find good stuff you had to look for it

Well nothing has changed, it wasn't so obvious cos the market wasn't saturated by the internet, there was always the underground, and always Pirate radio stations, to cater for people that can't cope with the bullshit that is mainstream wasn't just hiphop it's every genre, radio is not made for people like us, we go out and look for quality, they want to ram bullshit down our throat, and the vids do explain it which tells me you didn't sit through all of it (either that or I stuck the completely wrong vid up), because the radio station thing is brought up, it doesn't matter whether it's the 60's,70's, 80's it the same principal behind radio, dumbed down day dream content, 2 of the most powerful genre's on this planet is metal, n Hiphop, when it is in it's natural state, and they are the 2 most fucked with by the corporations, within music art and media.

The positive to this is go out go to live shows record shops, and just chat to people get to know them, and on it goes, you educate each other, and the scenes roots stay intact as long as it's not forgotten. Only problem is we're a minority that get's misunderstood, and then that falls on the plate of how it's put over again due to media = radio magazines etc. It's all about seeing their perception, and not having our own. Now you really have to hunt as there is so, so much shit music everywhere, the kids fall for it then they think that is what it is all about, for eg where is Lil Jon, what the fuck was that Crunk shit all about and where is it now ! ?
  • Tastik BEATS likes this

#17 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:50 AM

No just watched it,15 mins in to the "what ever happened to hiphop says it there".

#18 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

everything was different back then. if you wanted to hear r and b you had video soul and video lp. if you wanted to hear hip-hop you had rap city and yo mtv raps. plus, hip-hop was less watered down even though you still had to weed through the occasional gimmick

#19 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

No just watched it,15 mins in to the "what ever happened to hiphop says it there".

I kind just skipped through

It was interesting though

#20 miss stress

miss stress

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

I pretty much remember it like how you said. The radio played a little of everything it wasn't the same songs rotated on the radio over and over it was a variety. You could hear EPMD, DJ Quik, Mary J Blige, Nas, Dre, Outcast, Jodeci, Boys II Men, Brandy all in one mix

Nobody used terms like "underground or independent" if you liked it you liked it and rapped the chrorus at school to your friends . If you wanted the grimey or gangsta shit (my favorite) you had to wait til about 11 pm or 12 am for Friday NIght Flavas or Wake up show.

And if you lived in the hood you got The Box which played every genre of hip hop and rnb all day it was fucking AWESOME

Video Soul hosted by Donnie Simpson came on at like 11pm on BET it was like all RnB then Rap City with Chris Thompson would come on at 12 am while Yo! Was on MTV that was all rap. The cool thing about Yo was Ed and Dre would be in the studio interviewing but fab Freddie would be in Japan or some crazy place interviewing hip hop dj , breakers and graf artist from all over the world. Then if you waited til 1 am you got Pump it Up! With Dee Barnes. A lot of people couldn't watch Yo or Rap City because cable was mad expensive back then not everyone had it. So guess what we would do?? Hahah tape the shit on VHS and give the tapes to your friends to watch hahaha lmao
  • DJ Projexion and Liv like this

#21 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

I pretty much remember it like how you said. The radio played a little of everything it wasn't the same songs rotated on the radio over and over it was a variety. You could hear EPMD, DJ Quik, Mary J Blige, Nas, Dre, Outcast, Jodeci, Boys II Men, Brandy all in one mix

Nobody used terms like "underground or independent" if you liked it you liked it and rapped the chrorus at school to your friends . If you wanted the grimey or gangsta shit (my favorite) you had to wait til about 11 pm or 12 am for Friday NIght Flavas or Wake up show.

And if you lived in the hood you got The Box which played every genre of hip hop and rnb all day it was fucking AWESOME

Video Soul hosted by Donnie Simpson came on at like 11pm on BET it was like all RnB then Rap City with Chris Thompson would come on at 12 am while Yo! Was on MTV that was all rap. The cool thing about Yo was Ed and Dre would be in the studio interviewing but fab Freddie would be in Japan or some crazy place interviewing hip hop dj , breakers and graf artist from all over the world. Then if you waited til 1 am you got Pump it Up! With Dee Barnes. A lot of people couldn't watch Yo or Rap City because cable was mad expensive back then not everyone had it. So guess what we would do?? Hahah tape the shit on VHS and give the tapes to your friends to watch hahaha lmao

I wish I was alive during the era. I apolegise on behalf of my crappy genereation

#22 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/nick-papadopoulos-2

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

I wish I was alive during the era. I apolegise on behalf of my crappy genereation

It wasn't the coolest time in all of history-but it was really cool. The variety on the radio was by and large pretty good thanks to the rock sound of the time. Not a lot of classically trained musicians to go around in the pop acts, but, hey, sometimes you just gotta let it ride.
  • Tastik BEATS likes this

#23 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:50 AM

Thought it was funny in this conversation between The 45 King and Prince Paul when Paul is reminiscing about how good the Golden Age was but how a lot of bad records came out at the same time well (skip to http://www.youtube.c...rWzZq8#t=09m59s):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJaj6rWzZq8

The city I grew up in had one hip hop show, two hours each week that used to play newly released records and requests. We'd tape the shows and bump and bump the best tracks, especially when we didn't have money to buy most of the records, which were all imported. Even then I can remember somehow or other listening to mixtapes and radio shows from overseas (UK & US) and just dug the shit out of stuff like Red Alert's tapes.

That era (I'm talking late 80's into the very early 90's), even what wasn't hip hop had a lot of soul, the house, the acid… Big groups like Run DMC, Beastie Boys and PE were getting regular radio and TV play even before that, not to mention mainstream films like Colors and even White Men Can't Jump having pretty damn good soundtracks. Hell, I can even remember seeing Rock Steady Crew film clips on kids' music shows way back.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hip, hop, rap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users