#1 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

New Madlib interview!

...and it's actually pretty good! talks a bit on the exploitation of Dilla and he may finally be pulling an intervention with DOOM on all our behalves (regarding MV, not beer-guts)

Posted Image
  • DJ Primate, D'MosPhree, GC90 and 1 other like this

#2 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,145 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

Dope!!!

#3 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

Man, this is one of the best Madlib interviews I've seen. Lots of very interesting stuff here.

DD: So you think there’s nothing else to be said in terms of lyricism?
Madlib: For me, as a lyricist. But, people like Danny Brown are doing something different.
DD: Danny certainly likes yelping. He once got a blowjob live on stage from someone in the audience.
Madlib: There’s nothing wrong with that.
DD: Has that ever happened to you?
Madlib: Nah, I wouldn’t do that. I’ve had crazy things go down but I don’t wanna get my dick out onstage. That’s dope he can do that and still keep rapping, all sweaty and shit. I take my hat off to him. Hopefully he didn’t have a sausage in there like some rock stars used to do.

Wish we could get some Madlib/DB, maybe something short like Black and Brown.

DD: Sorry to go a bit dark, but when you die what’s going to happen to all of your unreleased music?
Madlib: I'm gonna burn it down before I die, a little Lee Perry action. Ain’t nobody exploiting my shit. If I was dying in hospital I’d tell my son to go and burn it. Don’t think I’m going to get exploited like they’re doing to Dilla. I’m learning from how he’s being treated from some people.

Ha, I've always been afraid ST might do something like this in the future, hopefully Madlib will get a bit more respect compared to how Dilla's stuff has been treated.

Jaylib: Champion Sound (2003)
“I’m sad to say Dilla’s favourite drink was Hawaiian Punch. That was his juice. So drink one of those, smoke a blunt and listen. And eat a pizza or some doughnuts.”

Thanks for sharing this SwampThing!

#4 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:43 AM

This bit for me..

DD: You’re a fan of David Icke’s book The Biggest Secret. Do alien reptiles run the world?

Madlib: Probably. With all this new technology, there’s no way it can move that fast. I think we’re among them, we just don’t know it. There’s different aliens, you know?

DD: Is there a chance of getting you and David Icke together to do a record? I’ve got the band name sorted: Mad Icke.

Madlib: (laughs) That would be crazy. Let him do some poetry over my stuff, get him to read some pages. Different sounds, from electronic to dirty records. That would be dope.

DD: Madlib are you a conspiracy theorist?

Madlib: Kind of, half and half.

DD: So, what’s your favourite conspiracy theory of all time?

Madlib: That’s the biggest secret. I know certain things I can’t talk about. I know a lot of things that I’ll get in trouble talking about.

Seems I'm not the only one. Classic right brain thinker.really cool interview on all fronts, just when we wanted different.

• GC90 likes this

#5 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

This bit for me..

DD: You’re a fan of David Icke’s book The Biggest Secret. Do alien reptiles run the world?
Madlib: Probably. With all this new technology, there’s no way it can move that fast. I think we’re among them, we just don’t know it. There’s different aliens, you know?
DD: Is there a chance of getting you and David Icke together to do a record? I’ve got the band name sorted: Mad Icke.
Madlib: (laughs) That would be crazy. Let him do some poetry over my stuff, get him to read some pages. Different sounds, from electronic to dirty records. That would be dope.
DD: Madlib are you a conspiracy theorist?
Madlib: Kind of, half and half.
DD: So, what’s your favourite conspiracy theory of all time?
Madlib: That’s the biggest secret. I know certain things I can’t talk about. I know a lot of things that I’ll get in trouble talking about.

Seems I'm not the only one. Classic right brain thinker.really cool interview on all fronts, just when we wanted different.

Yeah thought that whole bit was badass. I love hearing about all that conspiracy stuff, kinda cool seeing he can appreciate it as well. A David Icke + Madlib collab would be insane lol

Good timing as you said after the last couple recent threads:

http://www.stonesthr...showtopic=25457

http://www.stonesthr...showtopic=25418

#6 Cheel

Cheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC AND TING
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/cheel

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:44 AM

I like the part where he said he's in the illuminati
  • MaddMannMatt likes this

#7 MilkinDonuts

MilkinDonuts

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

DD: Sorry to go a bit dark, but when you die what’s going to happen to all of your unreleased music?

Madlib: I'm gonna burn it down before I die, a little Lee Perry action. Ain’t nobody exploiting my shit. If I was dying in hospital I’d tell my son to go and burn it. Don’t think I’m going to get exploited like they’re doing to Dilla. I’m learning from how he’s being treated from some people.

In response to what Madlib said about Dilla's legacy, ?uestlove chimed in with this:

"i do not agree with Madlib. Dilla's legacy is because of that stuff. and who are the people profiting off Dilla's legacy? last i checked noone was rolling in millions off his legacy. i mean is there a group of people i don't know of, or a company, or someone I'm not aware of that maybe Madlib knows of that's juicing or exploiting Dilla's legacy? over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?---maybe I'm not aware. its not like there's a group of people in existence selling us the same product over and over and over and over again.....right?-----oh...."

Posted Image

#8 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

In response to what Madlib said about Dilla's legacy, ?uestlove chimed in with this:

"i do not agree with Madlib. Dilla's legacy is because of that stuff. and who are the people profiting off Dilla's legacy? last i checked noone was rolling in millions off his legacy. i mean is there a group of people i don't know of, or a company, or someone I'm not aware of that maybe Madlib knows of that's juicing or exploiting Dilla's legacy? over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?---maybe I'm not aware. its not like there's a group of people in existence selling us the same product over and over and over and over again.....right?-----oh...."

Posted Image

sheeit... has Ahmir given Rebirth of Detroit a listen? Which is not on ST BTW...
  • GC90 likes this

#9 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

yee-ouch

#10 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

Well it's very possible Madlib was including ST with regards to that. Maybe Quest doesn't realize Madlib's doing his own thing now...
I definitely think Madlib's point makes more sense than Quest imo

#11 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

smh at Ahmir.

Edit: Looks like this is ?uesto's new favorite shirt.

Posted Image
  • DJ Primate and GC90 like this

#12 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

Old article on ST

http://www.stonesthr...-dilla-s-legacy

#13 bamajoe

bamajoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

FWIW, Waajeed is in agreement with Madlib about Dilla. He mentioned the interview on facebook

#14 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

There's also House Shoes' opinion on the management of Dilla's stuff http://www.hiphopdx....gacy-of-j-dilla

Also this old STMB thread about how Jonathan Taylor sucks http://www.stonesthr...showtopic=23418

Edit:

#15 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

I CAN MAKE BETTER ALBUMS THAN THESE MFKAS ARE PUTTING OUT WITH THE DILLA BEAT TAPES I HAVE!!! THESE POST DEATH RELEASES ARE HELLA MEDIOCRE!!!! I LIKE THE STANCE PEANUT BUTTER WOLF TAKES WHEN HE SAYS SINCE DILLA ISNT HERE TO PUT HIS TOUCH ON IT HE WONT RELEASE ANY MORE.... BUT IF U DO RELEASE IT.... DO BETTER.... DILLA WOULDN'T HAVE PUT THAT SHIT OUT ESPECIALLY THE ONE WITH THE COVER WHERE HE HAS SIZE 18 SHOES ON, THE ONE PUT OUT ON MOODY MANS LABLE WAS DECENT THO....

sorry for the caps i just think what Otis Jr is saying is that dilla wouldnt have released that shit like that.... he knows when he sees the art work and listens to it that, if dilla were alive he wouldnt approve... we (dilla/madlib heads) know it too but maa dukes needs help so it is what it is.... i wish i could throw her 500gs if i could i would... but i dont think madlib was saying people are just making tons of money off dilla
  • DJ Primate, GC90 and MWBOOGIE like this

#16 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

Posted Image

Edit: Basically my thought is Quest on FB was talking too much about the profit, when what Madlib was referring to imo was just the overall legacy of Dilla. The mediocre bullshit after his death is a shame to see

#17 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

Having a tough time with the whole benefitting off of his legacy.

There have been some obvious bullshit projects, no doubt. After posting here for a while-it is apparent that everyone does have a true reverence. For me, it is tough because I do not recall a beat that wasn't a Dilla beat. I was an obsessive Tribe and Pharcyde fan.

I think time will soon tell.

#18 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:43 AM

lmao i will admit after reading questlove's expanded argument, the idea of one of the most prolific and awesome producers of all time with a highly devoted following (madlib) literally burning his lifelong backlog of art/creation on his deathbed just on the off-chance that it will be mismanaged after his death... seems kind of like a needless fuck you to the people that appreciate it.

With that said, the vast majority of the post-humous Dilla stuff is no good. Jay Stay Paid seems pretty tasteful compared to most of it.

#19 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

Jay Stay Paid seems pretty tasteful compared to most of it.

Though not a classic by any means, at least this seemed to be done a bit better than later stuff. A lot of this prob has to do with Pete Rock being involved.

#20 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:14 AM

I'm just glad Rappcats are the ones 'exploiting' the unreleased material now. At least we'll get something that isn't 'finished' by some other person and you know the artwork will be on point bc of JJ's involvement.
  • gEEchieDan and James Frank. like this

#21 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

DD: Do you think that beats can capture stories as evocatively as lyrics?
Madlib: I think so. You could put Dilla’s stuff in a book. It might not be in a certain order but I’d get it. You have to really sit there and think about it. A lot of people are used to words, but it can be done. My next Quasimoto record is going to be like that – I’m going to do it like chapters.

#22 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

I'm just glad Rappcats are the ones 'exploiting' the unreleased material now. At least we'll get something that isn't 'finished' by some other person and you know the artwork will be on point bc of JJ's involvement.

of late art work has become one of my obsessions!!! it can make or break an album for me... is that wierd????? like i didnt listen to guilty simpsons latest album on mellow music too much because of that whack art cover... yeah i think im trippin i may need to go listen to it!

#23 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

Not to derail from the thread topic, but aren't the Dilla releases moving in a better direction with Frank Nitt taking care of things? Or am I out of the loop?

#24 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

i'm just psyched there are confirmations for a Rock Konducta Vol. 2, Piñata, that OBEY album and possibly some new MV or a David Icke collab...i'm guessing the Mad-Icke joint's gonna come out long before the new MV though.

also, i'm glad that Dazed did this, but i gotta laugh when i see that they embedded a video showcasing all the uncredited samples Otis has used between sections of the interview. if i recall Madlib isn't too fond of those videos lol...
  • GC90 likes this

#25 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

Great interview. As far as the dilla legacy comment, I take both sides...Does his fans demands matter more than the quality of his work?

#26 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:31 AM

Beat Konducta Rips Youtube.

There's something funny about that, one of the world's best producers incorporating shit he found on youtube into his music. Now I don't feel so stupid discovering and listening to stuff there myself that I might not come across anywhere else.
  • James Frank. likes this

#27 Small Pro

Small Pro

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:47 AM

lmao i will admit after reading questlove's expanded argument, the idea of one of the most prolific and awesome producers of all time with a highly devoted following (madlib) literally burning his lifelong backlog of art/creation on his deathbed just on the off-chance that it will be mismanaged after his death... seems kind of like a needless fuck you to the people that appreciate it.

With that said, the vast majority of the post-humous Dilla stuff is no good. Jay Stay Paid seems pretty tasteful compared to most of it.

But...it's HIS music. not ours (till it's released). he's the one spending his life making it, he should have a right to decide what happens to it after he's not here anymore. how is this up for discussion...

of late art work has become one of my obsessions!!! it can make or break an album for me... is that wierd????? like i didnt listen to guilty simpsons latest album on mellow music too much because of that whack art cover... yeah i think im trippin i may need to go listen to it!

guilty's last album cover was dope tho: http://cdn.shopify.c...pg?v=1386716583

#28 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:50 AM

Damn! I haven't even heard of that latest collab LP from GS. Good looks man. I've never even heard of this Small Pro cat.

#29 flowmontana71

flowmontana71

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

I think we are reading way too much into this....

I highly doubt Lib would do a 'Black Ark' type of thing and burn his whole catalog, studio, etc.....

After watching/reading all of these Madlib interviews recently, we all know he has a witty sense of humor....

'I'm gonna burn it down before I die, a little Lee Perry action. Ain’t nobody exploiting my shit. If I was dying in hospital I’d tell my son to go and burn it.'

https://soundcloud.com/fm71
Just some ol' Hip Hop stuff......

#30 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

I don't think it's particularly crazy to not think it's wise or productive or meaningful to destroy his music. Madlib might "not care" if anybody listens to his music, as he's stated many times he'd be doing it with or without us fans who should bless our lucky stars he releases it, he might not tour constantly (in the US), he might not have much of a repartee with his fanbase (or any really), he might release his music more on a financial-need basis rather than a on a monthly basis at this point, but I might finally feel offended as a devoted fan if he actually burned all his stuff. JJ would have to make a book of unrealized album covers in memoriam.

But yeah, I doubt he'd do that. His family, them royalties, you do the math. Plus as long as Egon is still kicking you know his shit's gonna be managed properly, there'd be no embarrassing Rebirth album.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users