#1 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

I've used Acid Pro and Ableton, but how do you achieve this shit? I know that most of y'all remember when a certain member of The Lox posted what is quite possibly the worst acapella in the history of acapellas because his shit was so random and thrown off. What do you do you use to fix shit like that?

#2 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

Madlib, you can chime in if you want to. lol

#3 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

I never heard of that accapella that you reference. I just mess with the pitch something awful.

#4 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

get the orginal instrumental, load it in a dj software and you can see the BPM

#5 Beatronome

Beatronome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beatronome

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

Yeah what Broking said.
Also in FL Studio there's this tap option (right click on the BPM and then click 'tap'.), if you tap the beat the BPM will appear (or tap to the original song), I use that one mostly.

Also the time warp option in Ableton comes in handy if it is still a bit off, but don't use it when you don't know approximately what the BPM is unless you want to spend a lot of time stretching an acapella manually (you can do some really cool shit with acapellas with this also).

Sometimes you can google it, a lot of songs and acapellas are in BPM lists, depends on how well known it is.

#6 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

usually i'll find the BPM, then make something within ~3-4 BPM of the original beat if not the exact same tempo.
if i run into problems where the vocals start eventually going out of sync with the beat (which is always), i'll physically go in and slice shit up to match the flow of my beat. i had to do this on every single one of those DOOM remixes we were doing a few months back, even though my beats were always at the exact same tempo of the original...to me, that's the big diff between shitty remixes and dope ones--you can tell when someone put in the extra effort; otherwise, even if you made an ill beat the track sucks because the bars are all askew.
  • BrielleSantos likes this

#7 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:21 AM

What Broking said, you start stretching the acapella and pitching it, it just sounds weird. Not only find the bpm, but actually count how many bars throughout the tune, the intro, the verse, chorus etc, you can see if they have thrown you off a beat by a Yo, Yeah, or urrrh!! once you have the map get the bpm, it's easier and quicker to get things to fit, and some times you will have to outright copy what has already been done, an example is the Rock Co- Kane remix we did for the doom remixes, theres a breakdown near the beginning and if you don't copy what has already been done it just sounds shit due to the timing, which is also annoying as you can't put your own stamp on it 100%. The acapella that comes with the Buzz, Peroxide with MED is good example check where he comes in, In-between the first and second beat, a beat that sounds off beat, but a nice challenge.

#8 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

I never heard of that accapella that you reference. I just mess with the pitch something awful.

He dropped it for a remix contest. That shit was aweful ... quite possibly the worst that I have ever heard. Had to re-baptize my ears to a good quality DOOM jawn after hearing that shit.

#9 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

FL's method isn't always dead-on at times, and I've had MUCH better luck with Ableton's warping capabilities but it's time consuming! Imma see about that BroKing's suggestion though

#10 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

FL's method isn't always dead-on at times, and I've had MUCH better luck with Ableton's warping capabilities but it's time consuming! Imma see about that BroKing's suggestion though

Maschines time stretch is pretty bang on, the DJ programs are pretty good but they don't all come out with the same BPM, and don't do it with just the acapella you don't get anywhere near the bpm it's quite funny to see what the program will throw back at you though.

Actually shall I post an acapella ? and we all have a shot at it, we might crack a way together that is just straight up solid.

#11 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

Maschines time stretch is pretty bang on, the DJ programs are pretty good but they don't all come out with the same BPM, and don't do it with just the acapella you don't get anywhere near the bpm it's quite funny to see what the program will throw back at you though.

Actually shall I post an acapella ? and we all have a shot at it, we might crack a way together that is just straight up solid.

I'm game.

#12 wöhrd

wöhrd

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

Find the original. Put it in MixMeister BPM analyzer..

But it doesn't work all the time.

I tried with Peanut Butter Wolf - The Definition Of Ill (Ft. Madlib & Planet Asia ) The track is 89.23 BPM, It sounds nice with the metronome in the beginning, but after a few bars the track is off the click..

I guess the original is made with metronome off. Or something..

If I put the Acapella on top of the original, it becomes offbeat after a while too.

#13 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

Find the original. Put it in MixMeister BPM analyzer..

But it doesn't work all the time.

I tried with Peanut Butter Wolf - The Definition Of Ill (Ft. Madlib & Planet Asia ) The track is 89.23 BPM, It sounds nice with the metronome in the beginning, but after a few bars the track is off the click..

I guess the original is made with metronome off. Or something..

If I put the Acapella on top of the original, it becomes offbeat after a while too.

Blame it on whoever edited the original track.

#14 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

Blame it on whoever edited the original track.

my theory for the reason behind that off-sync shit is that a lot of producers like Madlib and Co. use analog, un-quantized hardware to make their beats--so of course it's not gonna be exact with human time. that means that original beat the artist is spitting on is gonna have little quirks and rhythms that only make sense with that beat, and if you try remixing it carelessly into your DAW thinking it's precise, robot time, then you're in for a world of shit when it starts meandering off-beat.

even on some of the cleanest, most precise studio acapellas i have FL Studio still fucks it up and says something's like at 55.3 bpm when it's clearly somewhere in the 90's, so at some point the basic answer is to chop your shit as needed. if it's basically on beat, find the part where it starts screwing up and trim a few milliseconds off, that usually fixes the problem. if you understand the way flow works with a rapper you can re-purpose that same flow at any tempo without it starting to sway off-beat halfway through. i blame it on laziness.

#15 Constrobuz

Constrobuz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

yall are trying too hard. just make sure your beat starts at the right time with the acapella (for example if the acapella starts on beat 1, make sure the first word in the acapella starts with your first kick drum), then skip to near the end of the song and see if it's on beat (cuz it might sound ok in the first few bars but then gradually go off beat). if not just adjust the bpm little by little until its right.

#16 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

#17 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

Good looking out

#18 DavidisBaas

DavidisBaas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Fuck school. davidisbaas@hotmail.com
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/david-spierings

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

just load the original track into something like mixmeister (you can even use virtualdj if you like) it wil give you the bpm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users