• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:28 PM

so, in case you haven't heard the news, starting tomorrow on Jan. 1, 2014, all citizens over 21 will be able to legally purchase up to 1 oz. of recreational weed in designated cities and locations in the fine state of Colorado...

oh, and i think Washington will be able to as well or something in the next few weeks, but fuck them!

Posted Image

we're #1! we're #1! we're #1!

seriously though, we'll be the first state in the pre-post-prohibition era of marijuana to ever sell it as a commodity on the...un-black(?) market, that's a pretty big deal and a pretty big step towards legalization if you ask me.

so what are your thoughts on it, STMB?
do you think it will go over swimmingly?
or will we end up like one giant, rectangular state version of Needle Park complete with junkies eating babies and various forms of stoned wildlife roaming the streets?
  • Jubito likes this

#2 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/nick-papadopoulos-2

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:36 PM

well that must be a good thing, right? Not sure if weed is good for the people, but, hey its all good.

#3 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

it's good for me though, and that's all that matters.
  • Crystal Joker likes this

#4 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

I think it's pretty good. I mean, imagine if all the states began to legalise it. Then, imagine what american politicians etc would be like in a couple of generations.

#5 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

Posted Image

#6 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

That's fucking awesome. I hope it goes smoothly and nobody provides the anti dope lobby with any ammunition by eating a baby or going on a gun rampage etc. If you guys can get high responsibly, this could get rolled out to the wider populous. The politicians can smell the $ no doubt.

#7 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:10 AM

Thats the only concern. They will be the only ones getting paid from this venture. A bunch of people from Bufu Egypt will be imported to Colorado.

I had looked into moving--seems like everyone is cool. My friend moved to Colorado Springs and digs it alright.

Good luck.

#8 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:29 AM

LOL! Congrats Colorado! But you ain't seeing Uruguay not only did they legalize it, but they are already selling it. So both Colorado and slow ass Washington lost the race to be the first.

I hope California, Oregon and New York legalize too so the rest of the country will fall in line.

#9 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:30 AM

Yeah it seems like WA is going to be a lot slower on this whole thing compared to CO. Was very surprised OR didn't pass that law, I would have thought this would be first state to legalize lol

I don't smoke but happy all the smokers out there are getting these stupid laws repealed. Shitty that Obama won't help do anything at a federal level given he was smoking and doing cocaine growing up.

#10 Jubito

Jubito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:40 & A BLUNT, light1up, light the doobie 'till it glow like a ruby
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jubitoo

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:25 AM

seriously though, we'll be the first state in the pre-post-prohibition era of marijuana to ever sell it as a commodity on the...un-black(?) market, that's a pretty big deal and a pretty big step towards legalization if you ask me.

Well, Uruguay recently became the first state to completely legalize all cannabis-related activities, if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: Oh Pete Marriott already mentioned it.

Anyway, here where I live no-one really cares if it's legal or not since the majority of the people in my municipality (ranging from 10-100 years) smoke da la or are in some way related to activities concerning it, and this has been going on for decades. Ye the cops are all over the place, mostly the center, since they know that constantly drug schemes are going on but people here outwit them almost every time. We have many places near the sea, residential areas and in the mountains (yes, the hillside of the mountain is on the sea, pretty much a win-win) where you can walk and smoke like it's Amsterdam. I don't know how it's like in America, but I wouldn't change my city for no other place on Earth.

Every single place on Earth should take example from Colorado, Washington and Uruguay, though,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6QkVTx2d88
and make this world a better place.

#11 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,895 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:06 AM

The Obama administration is doing HUGE things for CO and WA by releasing a set of guidelines that each state has to abide by so that the Feds don't raid anything or arrest consumers. Obama and Holder get props over here.

#12 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:16 AM

I just hope they use that tax money for the right things like schools and parks and whatnot, not to line the politicians pockets. But definitely a historical landmark! Glad I'm alive to see it happen.

#13 Cheel

Cheel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC AND TING
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/cheel

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:55 AM

It's a good thing.

Weed being illegal is one of the great injustices of the world. Not to mention when governments are crying out for revenue streams, they aren't willing to tap into a river of gold and are happy to let organised crime get dat cash

I have smoked my share. Don't smoke any more. Not sure if I would take it up if it were legal here. I'm a father now, I've got other shit to do besides skin up and listen to hours of obscure music over and over.

So what happens to the price of weed in the legal states? Stays about the same, with the govt taking a big share of profit through tax? Or it's now dirt cheap? Do any shady characters who may have previously had grow operations now have an instant legal business?

I smeltmarijuana smoke in Vietnam

#14 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

It's a good thing.

Weed being illegal is one of the great injustices of the world. Not to mention when governments are crying out for revenue streams, they aren't willing to tap into a river of gold and are happy to let organised crime get dat cash

I heard the tax level is 25%. Anyhow, weed is a wonderful drug that should be legal. Not only for recreational, medical but hemp, a weed, as we all know, should replace trees for pulp and its oil, can be used for may things. It's a magical plant. A key component to ease the stress we place on the environment which we have banned because it was a threat to one mans industry many years ago.

Get with the times dude.
  • Berry Woods likes this

#15 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

I smoke damn near daily, but I'm not sure legalization is the best thing. They're (the government) just going to try to completely control the marijuana market and crack down even harder on illegal dealers even more, when many of the organic illegal dealers have had it right for years. You really think the government controlled pot is going to be the illest shit for a fair price? No, most of it is probably going to be mass-produced and chemical infused crap for outrageously high prices+ tax. If they just let people do whatever the fuck they want with weed (unregulated buying/selling/growing/making goodies) instead of try to monopolize the market then I'm cool with it. But it doesn't sound like its going to be that way. I will probably never by taxed weed, my dealers have never failed me, the American government does frequently.
  • One Bell likes this

#16 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

#17 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

There are potentially positive aspects of regulation like guarantees of quality, potency, safety, better variety/choice, and correct weights.

#18 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

That's a great video Dirty Cyclist, hits the nail on the head for my beliefs.

I'm not saying legalization is bad, I think it's great that whoever chooses to follow the new laws can get their high without a hassle. I just don't want complete government/big business control of it which mass produces a bunch of crap and leaves the little guys in the dust.

Examples: Big company beers, fast food, the movie industry, television, the music industry, etc. I'm not saying good versions of these things don't exist, but I firmly believe the best things are often the most difficult to find.

I just see a pattern of whoever has the money, dominates the market, regardless of whether their product is of higher quality.
  • Dirty Cyclist and One Bell like this

#19 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

Yes it might well go that way instead. Then we can just grow our own again. They have done a pretty shit job of controlling it during prohibition.

#20 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

I can feel what your saying orchid with regards to Big Business usually lowering quality standards to increase profits and I agree that that would not be a pretty picture with regards to the weed industry. Look at the huge proliferation of craft brewing in the beer industry though, there is definitely a market for quality that may be more niche and a lot more smaller but don't think for a second that demand won't be met be at least a handful of actors in the market. Plus, weed is one of the easiest things to produce in your own basement or even your backyard; this is one reason it's been such a difficulty for regulators to wrap their heads around. Here in CO it is now legal for anyone over 21 to not only buy weed but also to grow a small number of plants for personal use. If cats are allowed to grow their own high guality organic herb in the comfort of their own home that takes even more market share away from a potential Marloboro type entity. My thing is freedom of choice, yes I hate the fact that most Americans choose the Big Corporate products time and again but with all those items you listed we all know that quality products still exist and consumers like you and I will always seek them out and demand them which just creates more opportunity for some entriprising entrepreneur.

#21 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

Kind of some libertarian paranoia if you ask me...
The price we're all paying for weed is completely arbitrary. our "little guy" growers have been making BANK off the illegal market for decades, nobody's trampling on them. In fact if I'm not mistaken, how they're doing this transition is subsidizing some of the already existing, legal-gray-area medical marijuana growers, who will finally be able to operate without fear, and will be growing the same high quality stuff as always. Yes, some of the many many weed growers will be out of luck, but there will be plenty of room for more growers as more states legalize. But weed will not suddenly be grown in some insane government factory where they spray it with mind control pesticides, it's going to be a very similar structure to how people in California get their "medical" bud, except with lower prices thanks to the legal factor.
And you know the best part? Like Sunny and other say, you can grow your own anyway, so it doesn't even matter! And you can even secretly buy the weed your dealer is legally growing in his backyard.
  • One Bell likes this

#22 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

I gots some of that paranoia. You will be supporting hezpollack!

#23 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

The "little guy" growers are making bank but I think it's extremely likely that government already knows the street value and would be pricing their stuff higher because it is "safe" and legal. Throw a fat tax on top of that and the simple go to a store, buy, and have no penalty is still a burden because the potential for being overpriced is great.

I know good options will still exist, I somewhat addressed it above and if people can grow their own, that's even better, but is dealing still outlawed? I guess there's no way to prove of dealing if it's legal to grow and possess, they can't really prove that the cash was for bud. I am just hoping that any activity that is still considered illegal doesn't become a crime larger than it should be because if the legal stuff in stores sucks, I am going to find the goods even if it means I'm going to continue my law breaking. I guess if I'm too lazy to legally grow my own I should just shut the hell up, but I will be too lazy because I'm high and have no legitimate experience or knowledge and I'm damn sure I don't have the patience to grow stuff up to my standards. Has anyone ever grown? It's not rocket science but it's not kindergarten either.

#24 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

except with lower prices thanks to the legal factor.

totally agree with everything you said, except "lower prices"...ehhhh. 25%!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that means if i go buy a quarter ounce for $70 it ends up costing me ~ $89.53, which sounds pretty ridiculous if you ask me. i'm glad its going to public schools and the coffers of the various cities i'll be buying from, but holy fuck talk about high taxes. i'm disappointed that Coloradans wanted to legalize it, yet they all were still duped into thinking there had to be some 'shame penalty' associated with buying weed, it's very unfair but i guess that was the only way they would've been able to implement it at all without pissing a lot of people off.

either way i'm still gonna buy; i haven't smoked since mid-July because my lungs kinda suck, but i think a lot of that stemmed from the shitty equipment i was using multiple times on a daily basis...so i probably just have a lot of debris in my alveolis or something. now that i've decided to hop off the wagon starting tomorrow, i'm gonna do it right and shell out some dough for a Ploom Pax vaporizer or something that i know is quality, and hopefully that will prevent any further damage to my poor little lung-sies. and if it does, then worst case scenario i can just use fucking tinctures or cookies or something haha.

#25 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

I can testify to the fact that just having the medicinal grey market of the last four years has driven costs for weed down by over 50% in both stores and on the street. Even with the fat tax the state levied I'm absolutely positive we are about to witness prices tumble even more, and if every state legalized we would be paying practically the same price as a pack of cigarettes.

I've grown, its extremely easy; I quickly discovered why it is called 'weed'...
  • James Frank. likes this

#26 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

I've grown, its extremely easy; I quickly discovered why it is called 'weed'...

Have you cloned/created hybrids, second-gen double hybrids, and then grown a successful mother plant from it? It gets complicated if you want variety and potency, especially when I'm accustomed to the great Cali and NW stuff I can get on the reuglar for CHEAP. I can get an ounce of dispensary level stuff or better for 100 bucks up here, I don't want no quarter for 90 bucks after tax. That's silly expensive. I'm not saying you don't know how to do all that but being really into is different than growing a few plants. It's like saying making a song is easy. It is, but it doesn't make me DJ Shadow or Madlib.

#27 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

I don't mean to come across as know-it-all or instigator, I'm just curious how all this legalization is going to shake out and whether it will truly be the great thing we hope it can be.

#28 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

The "little guy" growers are making bank but I think it's extremely likely that government already knows the street value and would be pricing their stuff higher because it is "safe" and legal. Throw a fat tax on top of that and the simple go to a store, buy, and have no penalty is still a burden because the potential for being overpriced is great.

but my point is that all this is not based on anything but paranoia really. the way things have progressed so far do not indicate that's what will happen, and simple economics do not either. The price isn't going to be arbitrarily set by the black market plus whatever the "fat cats" determine they can pile on top. It's going to be based on the actual costs associated with producing it, and if you think the black market system isn't already taking liberal advantage of your pocket book, I must disagree.

totally agree with everything you said, except "lower prices"...ehhhh. 25%!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that means if i go buy a quarter ounce for $70 it ends up costing me ~ $89.53, which sounds pretty ridiculous if you ask me. i'm glad its going to public schools and the coffers of the various cities i'll be buying from, but holy fuck talk about high taxes. i'm disappointed that Coloradans wanted to legalize it, yet they all were still duped into thinking there had to be some 'shame penalty' associated with buying weed, it's very unfair but i guess that was the only way they would've been able to implement it at all without pissing a lot of people off.

Firstly, you will NOT be paying 70 for a quarter. I don't know if that's what you pay now but I hope not. You'll more realistically be paying 70 for closer to a half ounce, which may end up costing you 90 bucks in the end but that's still well under the black market (for most people) even with the 25% tax. 25% is pretty high, I might argue to lower that. I get some pretty great deals out in NY (most of it comes from California originally), but I can tell you right now I'm not gonna be the guy saying "well fuck everybody else, I've already got the ill black market hook up so I'll vote against this"

plus aren't they planning to use most if not all of that extra tax revenue to do amazing things like help with underfunded public education?

#29 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

i think prices will go down after the culture shock of legalized weed fades away...right now it's still this weird reefer madness sort of thing where every news station and person you talk to on the street is sensationalizing it way more than it needs to be.

after people realize the world didn't blow up, it will become more accepted and integrated into our society and as that happens supply will go up as demand pretty much levels off...meaning prices will start to go down. it's still a really, really weird feeling that i'm gonna be able to walk into a weed store tomorrow and buy a half-eighth of Sour D no questions asked--i can only imagine how everyone else feels about it.

Firstly, you will NOT be paying 70 for a quarter.

wish i could agree with you, SwampThing, but unfortunately i will be paying that much, around $60-80...in fact, here in CO i've been paying that much for years now lol, i don't think we're as much of a weed mecca as Cali or the NW. back when i first got into it quarters were still $100 lol, and you'd be likely to get ripped off by a shady dealer you met at a party.

here is the exact place i'm going to buy from tomorrow, prices and all:

https://weedmaps.com...?c=dispensaries

like i said, i imagine prices will go down as this state booms into it's own mecca of sorts; but for now these are starter prices, at least in the un-black (?) (i don't know the antonym for black market) market at most if not all stores able to sell starting tomorrow.

#30 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Ill give you a hundred for an ounce. You can send it in the mail.

I know Chief Keef's deala and he charges me 300.
  • KieranCrawford likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users