• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:34 AM

Yesterday i did my first gig for a young crowd so i had to play all of todays bullshit music and after a while i wanted to just stop and go home!!! All these 18 year olds were requesting shit ive never heard of that i had to download on the spot (twerking n shit), i had the majority of the music they liked so it ended up cool. I did a pretty good but i just want to play the kind of shit we listen to! it just seems like outside of a few spots here in texas there isnt a market for GOOD music DJs where people are excited to hear new shit and dont get mad when they hear something they never heard! For a guy who takes music serious i dont think i can do too many more of those gigs, i made some good cash but it wasnt enjoyable. Has anyone else went through this? Will these kind of gigs be the only time i make good money? What are some venues that people like us (on the come up) can make money playing good music. now my lap top is infested wit these random dumb ass songs!

i know i can do some weddings and go play some al green for some O.G.s but even that gets played out. i guess at the end of the day i have to do like j rocc does and leave the states and go where people have a broader concept of what good music is!
  • GC90, James Frank., Dirty Cyclist and 1 other like this

#2 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

I feel you bro, but it is what it is.
  • Crystal Joker, gEEchieDan and Dirty Cyclist like this

#3 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:01 AM

• Crystal Joker, GC90 and gEEchieDan like this

#4 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjZRAvsZf1g

exactly! gotta do what i gotta do mayne!!!

#5 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

Yupperz. It's all out about the dollars and sense. If I ain't getting paid, I don't try and fuck wit it.
Perioddski

#6 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

I feel you bro, but it is what it is.

your avatar makes me laugh every time i see it LMAO

#7 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

Yeah, man. Stick in there. I wish I had found this forum back in 2009 when I was doing a lot of recording. I shut out a lot of music-only listening to what I found on a dig and found out about any new Madlib shit in the racks with some hipster's review. I understood his formula so I wasn't into the idea of rushing out for all of the Medicine Show albums. I was still working through my DOOM sample records and figuring out parallels between his stuff and my LPS from the similar eras. I kept up by reading the vinyl mags that we all know and love.

My partner DJ from Toledo (OH) a white dude with an interesting background took it seriously and would play to requests with his huge amount of files. I just couldn't. I wanted to spin vinyl only. He went on to do the Wedding DJ thing--"Keep on til the fun stops, don't stop til you get enough" and all that mess...

I kind of couldn't lace joints for corny blonde headed sorority hoes and fat brunette pigs wanting to dance to devil music like "Single Ladies." I did not know who Neo, Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga was? I thought it was all a joke. My DJ friend once prefaced a sentence with, "I admit that Lady Gaga is talented...but..." I was like huh?

I missed hanging out with him and recording and the conversations that we had. He was more into the newer producers like Black Milk-and tried introducing me to Sean P. Fuck I almost bit his head off when he tried to get me to listen to Jay Electronic. But, he was the one that would throw down the older Dilla samples when we were in the booth recording. Dude knew me well. He was older like myself and knew his dusties really well--I guess his dad used to deal to a bunch of white people and his uncle was in the CIA or some shit. We worked well together. I'd walk in where he was playing and be bugged out requesting Bambata and trying to set the parties off....good times...

He got paid at our gigs. I never collected a cent. He seemed to need it more than I did. Not that I was bringing in a steady income at the time, but I was also doing a social experiment and truthfully I am soft like that.

He did take advantage of me once in awhile--presuming that I was made of that dollar--I was a sport. But I learned about music and myself and people. He toured with some DJ collective--spent his saturdays renting and lugging equipment for some DJ company--headed by some nobody DJ on some honky hustle.

I never had the heart to adapt (rocking a party was poetry to me--the old poet dies a sad death).

I do not mean to be funny or disrespectful when I admit that I may have a bit of aspberger's or something, because I cannot listen to any of that radio music or shit that hits the tv airways almost immediately. That is why I bitch about K. West or Dre beats. Fuck Snoop double time btw. Clown ass. Everything has its price.

Get paid. The subculture of cool that you seek will never be there. Occasionally a girl will appear and she will be the right one to join you on your journey. Just make sure that you recognize. I do believe that a girl that is into your lifestyle (i.e. music is important). Of course, do not go overboard and fetishize that shit (like we have been trained to do). I.E. do not just like a girl just because she says "Dilla saved my life."

Fuck it man, you are your own best friend. There are people like you that love good music and your creativity can't ever be restrained. Channel it into other shit if you can. Let me know which part of Texas you are in? Just for kicks...

Keep making your music. I have a relationship with a guy near my age that I on low kind of idolized (he had that humble reaction like yo, thanks man...thanks man thanks man...). I realized that he and I were very similar despite our different upbringings and skin color. It burns me up, though I know him only as an acquaintance to hear how much shit he deals with personally. I always want to shout out to people to let them know about what a king he is. Discuss his catalog of hits--but it bothers me that nobody gets it.

In the end Geech, people will respect you. You have to believe that. It just has to be the right person with an open ear and heart that has been through some shit.

We live as part actors in a narcissistic world. Everybody wants to hear their jam. Mostly white people with no soul. Not to generalize but shit I am old and not going to hold it back. I tried suing to keep my life from being depicted on Malibu's Most Wanted. That freestyle session was me. haha.

Nah, don't know those fools, but you catch my drift. Keep doing you and don't sweat it if you can. Life is hard enough. Finding that following is hard. But you love music so if you ever want to chat about it--I can only hit you up with general thoughts of where to aim. Not trying to hijack your thread, but, I respect your hustle and it reminds me of why we are all here.

Happy holidays people. Don't let the pagan programmed music get in your way and the cheapos trying to steal your parking space bother you. Bad energy travels and Santa is an Enron ass bitch. Buy your kiddies few presents and fill them up with your presence.

Teach them well--for real. Get the word out. Create something good.

Keep it real.

P.S. Geech as my man in arms on this funky continent that we are all strangers too...if you ever see some Hobbit looking mutherfucker acting like some Italian playing for some shit Catholic honky University playing in some football pads, you knock that muthafucker into next week! Punk ass American Hero bitch can get these mutherfucking Nuts...Fuck Amerikkka and break that mirror that that hoe likes to hold up to watch herself primp:

• gEEchieDan likes this

#8 WaldoH

WaldoH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

Stop being so selfish and enjoy making other people happy, its Christmas time DJ Overzealous.
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#9 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

your avatar makes me laugh every time i see it LMAO

Haha why? It's just Sugar Minott with a joint in his mouth.

#10 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

'The price of being a sheep is boredom. The price of being a wolf is loneliness. Choose one or the other with great care.' Hugh MacLeod

#11 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

It amazes me when someone can be true to themselves and succesful. I would think some of Madlib's stuff would be too weird and only have a small following. Glad that is not the case..

#12 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

Posted Image
  • gEEchieDan and MWBOOGIE like this

#13 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

Stop being so selfish and enjoy making other people happy, its Christmas time DJ Overzealous.

there is no santa clause in the ghetto dude i need my cookies!

Posted Image

LMAOOOO!!!!
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#14 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

P.S. Geech as my man in arms on this funky continent that we are all strangers too...if you ever see some Hobbit looking mutherfucker acting like some Italian playing for some shit Catholic honky University playing in some football pads, you knock that muthafucker into next week! Punk ass American Hero bitch can get these mutherfucking Nuts...Fuck Amerikkka and break that mirror that that hoe likes to hold up to watch herself primp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI63g64kDgY

DALLAS TX thx for the post it helped alot nice to read ur experience!!! lmao@ rudy

#15 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:23 AM

DJs don't take requests. That's some radio/wedding whiteboy DJ ish.
  • DJ Projexion likes this

#16 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:48 AM

ok thx
  • mangoes cash and James Frank. like this

#17 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,102 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

Might get a better response to the tunes you like in a place like Austin. Don't know much about TX but from what I've heard they like their music on the periphery as opposed to the mainstream sounds.

#18 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

Might get a better response to the tunes you like in a place like Austin. Don't know much about TX but from what I've heard they like their music on the periphery as opposed to the mainstream sounds.

Austin is definitely where its at!!! very open minded and cultural! will def look into that

#19 WaldoH

WaldoH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

there is no santa clause in the ghetto dude i need my cookies!

Attention SunnyMeadowz please stop reading... Spoiler Alert!

Santa isn't real... The spirit of Christmas comes from the loving heart of people, so look past the music and see the joy you are bringing those twerk-heavy 18-year-old little shits!
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#20 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

Attention SunnyMeadowz please stop reading... Spoiler Alert!

Santa isn't real... The spirit of Christmas comes from the loving heart of people, so look past the music and see the joy you are bringing those twerk-heavy 18-year-old little shits!

the story we are told of santa and xmas isnt real but where they got the story (St. Nicholas) is real

http://medievalpoc.t...-saint-nicholas

but yeah ill have to look past it and just make my cheese! thx!
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#21 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

the story we are told of santa and xmas isnt real but where they got the story (St. Nicholas) is real

so how does that ^ translate into this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL3YAcRM-RU

#22 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

so how does that ^ translate into this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL3YAcRM-RU

he was a famous man, whos rep was passed down through generations and i guess once saturnalia was incorporated into chritianity they used st nick as the man to lead the charge since he was known for gift giving... then it turned into santa... then came those rein deers... and now the fight...but idk man those mfkaz are cray. i guess its all about what one wants it to be... at the end of the day

but that madlib interview will be the perfect gift for geech if i got one!!!!!!!!

#23 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

but yeah ill have to look past it and just make my cheese! thx!

Geech, I am the real St. Nicholas. haha. No, but, I know a thing or two, my dude. He was not Semitic but did tan well. Like me, yo. Thats why I like my snow white and my honeys brown.

Anwyay, to water down the life of a Saint to the point where tales are told of the dude breaking and entering to people's homes down their chimney in royal threads is kind of Kanyeish or a version of history Nas may recite (no I am not done with his fixed grill-keep it trill ass).

The real St. Nick slapped fools that got out-of-pocket. Thanks for keeping it real in here.
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#24 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

DALLAS TX thx for the post it helped alot nice to read ur experience!!! lmao@ rudy

Hey man, anytime. I have a friend in Dallas. I wanted to know, to have him come out and support you when you do a gig. He is good people.
And yeah, Rudy. The story of this country in a nutshell (sorry for the bad word choice--but yeah).

#25 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hey man, anytime. I have a friend in Dallas. I wanted to know, to have him come out and support you when you do a gig. He is good people.
And yeah, Rudy. The story of this country in a nutshell (sorry for the bad word choice--but yeah).

hell yea!!!!!!! that sounds good especially if they are into good music, thats hard to come accross here in dallas, i teard up when rudy got that sack!!!!!!! ahahahhaahah!
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#26 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

damn, MWBOOGIE's post is full of quotables!

#27 Abracadaver

Abracadaver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

I did the dj thing for a while. It was mostly weddings and parties. It was fun and the cash was good but the requests are the worst part. I know exactly what you mean.
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#28 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

What up Geech?

#29 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:38 AM

Unless requester knows what they're talking about or offers to s the d. I never took many requests back in my dj days but I had to grind like a mother fucker to build the scene I made. I recently went to funkmosphere in LA and was blown away that I was throwing bigger parties in Kansas playing the same type of music.

Unless requester knows what they're talking about or offers to s the d. I never took many requests back in my dj days but I had to grind like a mother fucker to build the scene I made. I recently went to funkmosphere in LA and was blown away that I was throwing bigger parties in Kansas playing the same type of music.

That said Funkmosphere is hella dope and is djed by legitimately great djs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users