Photo

Ayo Shun! Where da' bands from the hood at?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:36 AM

No disrespect to the Roots, TV on the Radio or Robert Glasper, but seriously yo...there needs to be more bands from the hood playing that funky, jazzy, soulful music.

I'm not saying there aren't any, but not enough are getting the proper attention and all these singing groups and rappers are just not that special anymore.

I want to see more Bassists, Drummers, Guitarists, Keyboardists and Horn Sections in the music video with the Singer or MC and out on tour together as a unit.

I want the labels market bands to me, not boy bands or girl groups or rap crews. I wants bands to make me dance and not wack kind that Juicy J raps about.

Where's the new Earth, Wind & Fire, Kool & The Gang, Cameo, Slave, Heatwave, Switch, Commodores, Brick, Ohio Players and Fatback at?

#2 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,971 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:29 AM

Where are the music programs to teach disadvantaged youth to play the instruments they can't afford to buy? Our society puts all emphasis on the individual, that's not an attitude conducive to creating team players. All those bands you listed came from a whole other time, when schools actually had music and after school programs.
  • GC90 likes this

#3 Cheel

Cheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC AND TING
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/cheel

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:13 AM

Saxophonists are actually the baddest gangsters. 100% of them are dead or in jail or both.
  • Grifty-Rodriguez and MWBOOGIE like this

#4 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:24 AM

I'm still waiting on that Big Daddy Kane with Connie Price & The Keystones album. They backed him up at his 30th anniversary party. Shit was magical.

#5 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

I too love the horns man--In my day I was lucky one of the open mic sessions that I used to rock was hosted by a couple of MCs and backed by a live grammy award winning band.

Dudes were dope and it melded my love for music effortlessly. The MC and I had a few battles due to a few squabbles but I ended up an academic student of his manager, later. Dudes got they ego hurt in the battle, son.

Funny, some household names in "hip hop" were nobodies back then...times change.

#6 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

Where are the music programs to teach disadvantaged youth to play the instruments they can't afford to buy? Our society puts all emphasis on the individual, that's not an attitude conducive to creating team players. All those bands you listed came from a whole other time, when schools actually had music and after school programs.

This. It kills me that growing up I couldn't even afford to join the school band/orchestra, any kind of music education would have been great really. I don't think there's anything wrong with society putting an emphasis on the individual and really see more of the problem being the lack of public interest in funding the arts. We can fund a bunch of wars and shitty government programs but won't invest in the creative arts and the improvement of culture in general, it's really too bad.

#7 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

GC90 I am sure you are more than making up for your lack of musical instrument play from when you were younger. Your record-digging habit will more than make up for it. Cheers.

#8 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

Ha. I really hope to start learning an instrument someday when I'm not broke/have enough time to get in a good habit of practicing. Grew up wanting to play the drums (though I guess who didn't want to at that age) but as I've listened to music more seriously I'm hoping to start with keyboard/piano. Also might try doing Bass later on, have watched a lot of videos on that and it looks like it'd be fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users