• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:00 AM

Posted Image

no...not that holy grail.

Posted Image

or that one.

what i'm talking about in this thread is those LP's/EP's/7-inch/12-inch/45's/78's/reel-to-reel/cassette/laserdisc/etc. albums that are soooooooooooo impossibly rare to find that you probably will never come across it your entire life.

i know there's a lot out there, and unfortunately for me there's quite a large wish list of things i want but can't have because i simply can't find them...even digital versions of them archived on some obscure blog, they're just nowhere to be found. my hope is that this thread not only sparks interest in tracking these 'holy grails' down, but encourages some of the more experienced, vinyl-savvy users on the boards to maybe hook some of us up in the spirit of the holidays. so let me start with a couple ones that i have been going insane trying to find:

#2 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

If you buy records online you could find all of those, the OGs are obviously pricey on some but that doesn't mean you'll never find them. I went to a record store on my lunch yesterday just for the hell of it and I found a rare Italian soundtrack I'd been looking for. I'd never seen it online for even a 2 digit price, but I bought it for 8 bucks yesterday. If you think you can't find something, you gotta dig more. If you don't want to, then you have to pay up online or have nothing.

As for myself, I have a list of records that I am familiar with that I want, but I don't worry if I can't find them, there are literally millions of other records I haven't heard of yet that could be exactly what I like. I've recently been hunting for every LP that ABC Impulse put out, I go through thousands of records per week and sometimes find none, but I never go home empty handed or with a feeling of defeat.
  • CertafiedBluntHead and Dirty Cyclist like this

#4 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/nick-papadopoulos-2

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

That Jayz gif is mad homo.

#5 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

That Jayz gif is mad homo.

My thoughts exactly ...

#6 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

that james blood ulmer sure is a tough pull...........but in the spirit of the holidays, i guess i could be willing to let the 10 copies i own go for 50 bucks a pop, get in line young diggers

#7 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:48 AM

There's a lot of stuff I've come across that I thought I would never see in my life, Brazilian stuff, Bollywood soundtracks, Russian & Polish stuff, rare reggae joints, rare boogie funk joints, etc.

The only stuff that really eludes my capture and I never see are Library stuff (Bruton, KPM and all that) and Turkish stuff (Manco, Selda, Koray, etc)

....but then again I stick mostly to second hand/thrift stores.
  • Dirty Cyclist likes this

#8 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

As for myself, I have a list of records that I am familiar with that I want, but I don't worry if I can't find them, there are literally millions of other records I haven't heard of yet that could be exactly what I like. I've recently been hunting for every LP that ABC Impulse put out, I go through thousands of records per week and sometimes find none, but I never go home empty handed or with a feeling of defeat.

Yes! There are so many records out there that can be found on the cheap. I find a ton of LPs for $1 at a semi local thrift shop. some are crap and some are great. I'm just looking for the new to me stuff. The thrill for me is getting a near mint record that sounds great for $1. I've purchased off of eBay and Discogs, and really enjoyed the records, but the thrill is finding gold for $1...

Yes! There are so many records out there that can be found on the cheap. I find a ton of LPs for $1 at a semi local thrift shop. some are crap and some are great. I'm just looking for the new to me stuff. The thrill for me is getting a near mint record that sounds great for $1. I've purchased off of eBay and Discogs, and really enjoyed the records, but the thrill is finding gold for $1...

and finding the gold I never even heard of..

#9 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

yes, i know you can buy most if not all the ones i listed online...but i meant that i'll probably never stumble across them in person. in response to Orchid, i think region matters a lot as well. i live in metro Denver, CO, so to start with my area isn't very conducive to dope records. there's a lot of gospel, christian-y bible belt music (i.e. Peter Paul and Mary, generic Xmas comps, Barbara Streisand, etc.) that sucks lol, and nearly every time i find a record i think is amazing and rare it turns out it's very common and i'm just stupid and uneducated in this whole crate-digging thing.

in response to Projexion, i have a really, really hard time distinguishing "rare" stuff from really commonplace stuff that looks cool that i thought was rare...i think it comes with experience, but there's just sooooo much music out there that i always feel like i'm playing catch-up with my knowledge haha.

#10 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

It's all trial and error, you gotta just go with your instincts and take a gamble. Perfect example today I came across this doo wop looking record at the goodwill, had no idea who it was, wasn't ringing any bells but I wondered if it had this track from one of my favorite movie scenes in Mean Streets. So I bought it and sure enough I drop that needle and the first track I hear is that song! Johnny Ace - Pledging My Love.

Pure digging lore, I couldn't make this shit up.
  • James Frank. likes this

#11 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

i just picked through some free shit the campus station was getting rid of over the holidays, so i stepped up my Scandinavian classical game up a little bit today haha.

haven't had a chance to listen to anything i picked up, but if anything turns out to be dope i'll let everyone know.

#12 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/nick-papadopoulos-2

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

The more wack shit you pick-the better you are at refining your taste.
  • DJ Projexion likes this

#13 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

The more wack shit you pick-the better you are at refining your taste.

My filmmaking teacher used to give out awards for films that were well done based on the assignment's guidlines and it was difficult to earn one, you always had to go above and beyond. He would say: "You've got to shovel a lot of shit before you find your gold."

Assignment: DIgging and making dope beats/mixes.

To get that gold, you gotta go above and beyond. Keep shoveling keep buying records of any price. The more wack records and artists you know, the less of a chance you'll buy them, although a sample can come from a good idea and not necessarily a good record.
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users