• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#31 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

captaincookie emerging from retirement i see.
welcome back, wayniac.

but yeah, i didn't feel like commenting on this thread because i don't really give a shit...but isn't The Wall a visual album?

#32 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Yellow Submarine.
Magical Mystery Tour.

#33 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

I wouldnt want my favorite artist to make a vid for every song because it may take away from my imagination. My favorite artist is my favorite artist because they focus on the art more and not following trends largely due to the business aspect. I dont care how many records they move as long as I love what they do as a creative individual.

In a perfect world artists can just put out records without having to worry about sales, but the reality is if fans don't support those of us who do this by not only coming out to our shows and buying our merchandise but we need you to pay for our recordings too. All of this come out of our pockets, be if we're on a major or indie label or D.I.Y. it takes money.

From mastering, to promotion and marketing to publicity. An effective college radio mix show promotion campaign costs at least 3k, Getting on all those blogs and in those print magazines add another 6k and social media marketing is a good 3k...

Plenty of those free mixtapes or albums you guys suddenly hear about that explode in the underground was paid for. The grassroots buzz is huge myth just to hype the artists. No one gets on the charts or creates a buzz without having dropped some coin somewhere. No one!

If it wasn't for my endorsement deal with IK Multimedia, #REALHIPHOP would not be given away for free. But I surely know that y'all gonna have to pay for #REALHIPHOP2 if you want to watch it. Because I need to recoup for the first one with that album. #REALHIPHOP3 is where I hope to profit for all 3 albums in the series.

#34 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

If it wasn't for my endorsement deal with IK Multimedia, #REALHIPHOP would not be given away for free. But I surely know that y'all gonna have to pay for #REALHIPHOP2 if you want to watch it. Because I need to recoup for the first one with that album. #REALHIPHOP3 is where I hope to profit for all 3 albums in the series.

Isn't that getting kinda ahead of yourself?
  • Machiventa and Tastik BEATS like this

#35 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

Isn't that getting kinda ahead of yourself?

Not at all...

I plan everything ahead of time with a realistic lens. I'm not going to break even with the #REALHIPHOP series until the 3rd album. It's when we release the limited edition vinyl box set we might see a profit. The point of giving the first one away is to promote the second and third albums in the series. You guys may not be my immediate fans, but theres other true hip hop heads out there that love my records. There's a reason why I have 3 endorsement deals and it has absolutely nothing to do with my pretty face.

#36 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

shouldn't this thread be in the hype section? it was interesting at first then turned into a #realhiphop promo.
  • GC90 and Tastik BEATS like this

#37 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

shouldn't this thread be in the hype section? it was interesting at first then turned into a #realhiphop promo.

What are you talking about? No one is promoting anything... SMH

#38 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

I do not think that there is any useless information of any kind. The business of music, since I have become involved, has proven itself to be the most fickle of all. It is great to listen to peoples' opinions and their interpretation of the different genres. I always learn something new from what people choose to share. This hip-hop thing, in particular, is just a drop in the ocean of the music money machine.

Hip hop is so fucking polluted: Everyone who is named and held out as a real artists sucks so much dick that I would rather chill with the Beast and listen to his MP3 selection and maybe break out my vinyl than listen to anything that has been released, recently.

That overrated producer with the fake street persona had a great project with Boldy James. Probably the only project I would have spent any kind of money on purchasing.

Truth is, brothas need to get paid in this biz, and it is so hard to judge these flaky fans.

I do not know much about music videos and whatnot. I come from an art background and loved the experimental avant-garde music/film, shit. I just thought that they went together. I delineated between art and getting paid. I never thought that cool shit got you paid. I could pay a dude to come up with film clips then just edit his shit--but I prefer my own concepts and would rather someone else fiddle with my shit. (material).

I was recently on a music video shoot and could not figure out the concept of why there were still music videos and who watched them. But, I am interested in the auditory experience. That is where the real content comes from.

It is different when someone has talent in film. It kind of changes up everything. Only, hip hop dudes do not understand this shit--usually (not talking about STMB forum dudes, here--obviously).

As it turns out, people get their knowledge of new music through youtube-ergo the importance of videos.

I am enjoying hearing all of this stuff as it is a revelation to me. Yes I am a cave-dweller who believes his own methodology is the way it should be...so I welcome hearing about real trends in hip-hop, because they are always so incomprehensible to me.

I recall going to a ST show and wondering what PBW was doing with mixing mediums. I was pretty bored with it all--not trying to cut on the idea--just my general impression as a fan.

I hope beyoncee dies some disease befitting of equines. Maybe that weave will finally come toxic and the bitch will keel over. But, if there is any new trend then I would like to learn about it.

But, it seems like this is just another way for them to blot out the independent artist with a last-ditch effort. This is where that ire comes from. Most people that are creative sit on their creations for eons--and then drop...they dont create shit and distribute it for people to smell their recently digested foods.

I saw the project advertised on foreign tv. It sucked btw...

That kickstarter bullshit pisses me off too. If I ever see Spike Lee's ass I will murk his Mookie ass and drop kick MJ's gay-looking ass for good measure. Motherfuckas trying to steal a little man's (for lack of a better choice of words) pie.

Pete is dedicated to his three-part release. This is pretty cool in my opinion. He is dedicated himself to actually creating something and planning it over the course of a few years. That is an artform, any which way that you cut it. It is both refreshing and reassuring that someone cares enough and still dares to be innovative enough to attempt a project in this musical wasteland. I dig the concept and am interested to see it come to fruition.

#39 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Have you guys been listening to your morning radio shows? Have you been paying attention to the music press? The Visual Album has been solidified as a viable marketing tool in less than a week with over 800k in sales. And that's on iTunes alone. http://www.huffingto...f=entertainment

Y'all cats who fear the Visual Album becoming the new standard can hate all you want, but the Visual Album is the new record business model. It's already been decided by the majors and the indie label owners who are smart or hungry enough to want to survive in this business will follow suit.

Indie Artists and Producers who ignore the Visual Album as the future of the music business will find themselves ignored and alienated by the music consumer.

The writing is pretty much on the wall and the decision is yours, you can catch up or be left behind.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going the full distance and will get to the finish line in this marathon.

#40 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

i dig Pete's music, and i respect his grind as one of the 90's era OG's, but i do have to admit this thread is sorta turning into a subtle promotion for #RealHipHop Parts 2 and 3 lol.

funny thing about this though, is that he's right in certain points. i've been planning a visual album (i guess that's the term for it now) since early 2011, and up to this point i've just been brushing up my chops to get to that point. for me, the next big challenge is the visual undertaking of it, since the album part seems a lot more do-able now that my production/songwriting skills have caught up with where i wanted them to be when i first started this shit. so to keep it short, i haven't watched Beyonce's...thing that she's got going, and i probably will skim through it just to stay in the loop. but i think that it's a pretty interesting idea, that could be expanded upon sooooooo much more than it currently is. if i'm going to watch something, it has to be more than pretty visuals to go with your music; i want a fucking film that has all the merits and complexities of a regular movie-- which to me, a third year film school student, seems very hard to do logistically.

but i think one day we will see a film/album that does it right; however, the first step is to record an album with a cohesive concept the entire way through (i.e. a GKMC or Deltron 3030, etc.).
  • DJ Pete Marriott and Tastik BEATS like this

#41 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

^ and that's my criticism of this new 'business model' that Pete's talking about. it'd be one thing if there were actual collaborations surfacing between directors and artists or artists/directors, but instead what i see is trendy hipster-ish A&R's jumping on the bandwagon trying to get music video directors to just create a near-feature length music video that tricks people into thinking its good when any person with a casual understanding of the way films work will tell you they're just trite horse shit.

example, the Kanye West short film directed by Kanye West....KW is not a filmmaker, and it shows in that movie. it all looks pretty, but none of it is cohesive, interesting, suspenseful or any of the other things that attract us to normal films. it was too disconnected to be traditional, and too figurative to be completely abstract. my qualms are that a lot of people take filmmaking for granted, like it's just picking up a camera and fucking around with the depth of field and then Bam!!! you got a movie. a lot of these artists trying to make films out of their albums are just destined to fail because they have no background in what goes into making a good movie, just an endless amount of change in the coffers to throw at people they think can help them and they end up with some wannabe auteur piece of garbage that cost them thousands to make. most of these artists can't even make an album on their own, what makes them think they can do something 100x more difficult and expect it to be good and groundbreaking? i can barely sit through the entire music video for "Thriller", and that's an amazingly well done short film/video/thing. anyone else is just going to pale by comparison...so until i see the Paulo Sorrentino/Jay-Z collaboration, i'm going to endlessly call BS to everyone else not taking this stuff seriously enough.
  • DJ Pete Marriott likes this

#42 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

i dig Pete's music, and i respect his grind as one of the 90's era OG's, but i do have to admit this thread is sorta turning into a subtle promotion for #RealHipHop Parts 2 and 3 lol.

funny thing about this though, is that he's right in certain points. i've been planning a visual album (i guess that's the term for it now) since early 2011, and up to this point i've just been brushing up my chops to get to that point. for me, the next big challenge is the visual undertaking of it, since the album part seems a lot more do-able now that my production/songwriting skills have caught up with where i wanted them to be when i first started this shit. so to keep it short, i haven't watched Beyonce's...thing that she's got going, and i probably will skim through it just to stay in the loop. but i think that it's a pretty interesting idea, that could be expanded upon sooooooo much more than it currently is. if i'm going to watch something, it has to be more than pretty visuals to go with your music; i want a fucking film that has all the merits and complexities of a regular movie-- which to me, a third year film school student, seems very hard to do logistically.

but i think one day we will see a film/album that does it right; however, the first step is to record an album with a cohesive concept the entire way through (i.e. a GKMC or Deltron 3030, etc.).

First of all James Frank: There is no Promotion for #REALHIPHOP 1,2, or 3! You guys saying such nonsense seriously should read what I said. I pointed out my three album arc because it is apart of my business as a independent music professional. I was giving those of you you who I replied to the full picture for you to understand my perspective of why the Visual Album that Beyonce introduced is an important factor to the business of music. Which is what this entire discussion was supposed to be about. When you make false claims that it's promo for my albums, you're knowingly or unknowingly distorting the facts about the discussion.

I'm really glad to know that you're a film student. I myself finished film school at Tisch School of the Arts at NYU. This was back in 1992 when there was no HD Video and shooting on 8mm and 16mm with Arriflex and Bauer cameras with Kodak Eastman film stock was the standard. I can only imagine how much things have changed since I went to film school, but the rudiments and education I received at Tisch applies to this very day in the music video I'm shooting for my own music.

I think the reason I can see the Visual Album as the new model is based on my 2+ decades long experience in this business and my passion for film. Back in the 90's when I was signed to Warner Bros. My album was shelved because I refused to allow anyone else to direct my videos.

Although I paid my way completely through college from my music and finished film school and won an award from Kodak the executives at WB would not put the video budget in my hands, they didn't want me to have that much control over my career. The music industry in that era was extremely racist and giving a 22 year old black kid that much power over their content scared them.

Things are different now and I'm different now because I co-own myself as a business so I think with my business mind first and foremost and my creative second, because without the business there is no creative. This is not only a fact it's reality. The Visual Album makes solid business sense. You just have to be able to look at your immediate situation and figure out how to solve the problems surrounding it.
  • James Frank. likes this

#43 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

I am hype about the Pete Marriott X Beyonce "3D experience" album!
When will all of us suckers be able to purchase it?

I hope it comes with liner notes all written by DJ Pete Marriott... he has a very subtle way to his writing that allows him to funnel everything back to himself... I can't get enough of it!
  • GC90 likes this

#44 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

I am hype about the Pete Marriott X Beyonce "3D experience" album!
When will all of us suckers be able to purchase it?

I hope it comes with liner notes all written by DJ Pete Marriott... he has a very subtle way to his writing that allows him to funnel everything back to himself... I can't get enough of it!

DELCO...Can you read? Because your reply says you have a very poor comprehension right now.

#45 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

The concept is not that much different than The Wall, or Tommy, etc., but Beyonce's stuff lacks even those films' thin plots. For those who haven't seen it, Beyonce's "visual album" is essentially just a bunch of mostly-predictable music videos, not reaching for any sort of dramatic or artistic cohesion. What she's done is basically restrict her rabid audience to hearing her music exclusively through a series of music videos that are only available for purchase (bulk purchase? or can you get individual tracks?)

Again I'd hesitate to look at one example (let alone the example of such a larger-than-life superstar) as proof of viability, but I think I see now that what you're talking about is "viability" in terms of making money. As opposed to the increasingly questionable monetary viability of traditional music releases. What you seem to be saying is that the visual album is the future mainly because that's what people are going to be willing to pay for, rather than the notion that it's a natural and logical artistic progression?

Cheers on your NYU film school and 16mm experience, but I would have thought that working with those even-more-expensive mediums (i too have extensive 8/16mm experience, and talk about taking a bite out of the wallet...) would have increased your awareness of the perils and most of all the costs of making films beyond the 5-minute range. You seem to be looking at it as a given that many if not most artists can pull off that kind of feat. Operating based on that assumption, then maybe this could be the future, and we could even get into some cool cinematic albums.

But the notion that in the future most musicians will have to assemble a dozen or more music videos, each with different locations, costumes, "story", actors, etc. with every release in order to stay with it is kind of crazy to me. I know Mad Anthony Wayne was probably joking about Lil B, but the dude does put out a lot of videos, along with all them "youtube rappers", and those are great examples of the quality and watchability of shit put out by people not signed to major labels with billions of dollars to throw around.

#46 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

First of all James Frank: There is no Promotion for #REALHIPHOP 1,2, or 3! You guys saying such nonsense seriously should read what I said. I pointed out my three album arc because it is apart of my business as a independent music professional. I was giving those of you you who I replied to the full picture for you to understand my perspective of why the Visual Album that Beyonce introduced is an important factor to the business of music. Which is what this entire discussion was supposed to be about. When you make false claims that it's promo for my albums, you're knowingly or unknowingly distorting the facts about the discussion.

I'm really glad to know that you're a film student. I myself finished film school at Tisch School of the Arts at NYU. This was back in 1992 when there was no HD Video and shooting on 8mm and 16mm with Arriflex and Bauer cameras with Kodak Eastman film stock was the standard. I can only imagine how much things have changed since I went to film school, but the rudiments and education I received at Tisch applies to this very day in the music video I'm shooting for my own music.

I think the reason I can see the Visual Album as the new model is based on my 2+ decades long experience in this business and my passion for film. Back in the 90's when I was signed to Warner Bros. My album was shelved because I refused to allow anyone else to direct my videos.

Although I paid my way completely through college from my music and finished film school and won an award from Kodak the executives at WB would not put the video budget in my hands, they didn't want me to have that much control over my career. The music industry in that era was extremely racist and giving a 22 year old black kid that much power over their content scared them.

Things are different now and I'm different now because I co-own myself as a business so I think with my business mind first and foremost and my creative second, because without the business there is no creative. This is not only a fact it's reality. The Visual Album makes solid business sense. You just have to be able to look at your immediate situation and figure out how to solve the problems surrounding it.

actually, they're still starting us out with the same Super 8 film cameras from the '90s over here at CU haha. i guess it's to try and hold on to the dying medium as long as possible, and frankly i kinda like the idea of using strictly analog means to make something in this digital age we now live in...in fact, that's sorta the concept of the album i mentioned before that i hope to be working on this next year.

it's cool to hear that you actually have extensive film knowledge/experience, that definitely sets you apart from the vast majority of the industry messing around with this idea.

and as for the comments on this thread subtly promoting your album/s, i have this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7fuQ116QSg

lol

#47 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

I actually used to love the brand of bottle of suds Rod Stewart is holding in the pic. But everyone has their own opinion of what's good.
Not sure about the "anti-analog" set. But, I am more interested in content and substance than technical quality. Further, someone utilizing their work as a paradigm for what the environment is like can be quite useful.

#48 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

Again I'd hesitate to look at one example (again, let alone the example of such a larger-than-life superstar) as proof of viability, but I think I see now that what you're talking about is "viability" in terms of making money. As opposed to the increasingly questionable monetary viability of traditional music releases. What you seem to be saying is that the visual album is the future mainly because that's what people are going to be willing to pay for, rather than the notion that it's a natural and logical artistic progression?

This. At the end of the day--you need to get money. The general audience does not change. You are subject to it.

#49 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

The concept is not that much different than The Wall, or Tommy, etc., but Beyonce's stuff lacks even those films' thin plots. For those who haven't seen it, Beyonce's "visual album" is essentially just a bunch of mostly-predictable music videos, not reaching for any sort of dramatic or artistic cohesion. What she's done is basically restrict her rabid audience to hearing her music exclusively through a series of music videos that are only available for purchase (bulk purchase? or can you get individual tracks?)

Again I'd hesitate to look at one example (again, let alone the example of such a larger-than-life superstar) as proof of viability, but I think I see now that what you're talking about is "viability" in terms of making money. As opposed to the increasingly questionable monetary viability of traditional music releases. What you seem to be saying is that the visual album is the future mainly because that's what people are going to be willing to pay for, rather than the notion that it's a natural and logical artistic progression?

Cheers on your NYU film school and 16mm experience, but I would have thought that working with those even-more-expensive mediums (i too have extensive 8/16mm experience, and talk about taking a bite out of the wallet...) would have increased your awareness of the perils and most of all the costs of making films beyond the 5-minute range. You seem to be looking at it as a given that many if not most artists can pull off that kind of feat. Operating based on that assumption, then maybe this could be the future, and we could even get into some cool cinematic albums.

But the notion that in the future most musicians will have to assemble a dozen or more music videos, each with different locations, costumes, "story", actors, etc. with every release in order to stay with it is kind of crazy to me. I know Mad Anthony Wayne was probably joking about Lil B, but the dude does put out a lot of videos, along with all them "youtube rappers", and those are great examples of the quality and watchability of shit put out by people not signed to major labels with billions of dollars to throw around.

Warning: IF YOU HAVE PISS POOR READING COMPREHENSION SKILLS OR CAN'T RECOGNIZE THAT I REPLY FROM A PERSONAL PERSPECTIVE REGARDING THE VERY TOPIC WE'RE ALL OPENLY DISCUSSING. THEN DO ALL US WHO ACTUALLY CAN READ A FAVOR AND MOVE ON ANOTHER TOPIC. BECAUSE NO ONE HERE IS PROMOTING ANYTHING! AS I DO WITH ALL MY POSTS, I'M SHARING WITH YOU INFORMATION SO YOU CAN HAVE A MUCH CLEARER UNDERSTANDING OF WHERE I'M COMING FROM.

Sorry Swamp Thing but I just wanted to make myself clear to those who are "Indifferent"

I also thank you for seeing what I was saying about the business of the album. Like I said in an earlier post making such videos will only be as expensive as the artist allows it to be. As someone who grew up in this business of music, I learned a great deal about how to adapt to what I now see as a dynamic business because thanks to digital technology the business is in a constant state of convergence.

There was no iTunes, Bandcamp or Spotify in the 80's when I started out. We went to the studio made a demo and if the label approved it, we got a budget to go back into the studio to make a proper record and then the label would press up the vinyl, duplicate the cassettes and print the CDs and get them placed on college and major radio stations and in the retail stores from the Mom & Pop shops to the major outlets like Coconuts, Crazy Eddie's, Strawberry's and Sam Goodies.

People went to these stores and bought records.

Now people look for every excuse not to buy records, especially those kids who grew up knowing the MP3. They see music videos of these mainstream pop rappers and singers driving around in Italian and German motors, wearing French, Spanish and Japanese fashions with the latest expensive electronic gizmos in big lavish homes surrounded by beautiful models and they figure "well these artists are rich and I'm not so fuck them, I'm not not buying their album even if they are my favorite artists".

The indie kids often give the ultra lame excuse of " I bought their t-shirt and went to my favorite underground artist show, so why should I buy their digital album?"

Then the absolute worst music consumer of all is the physical purist. Their shitty excuse is "If it ain't on vinyl or if it's not on CD or now If it's not on Cassette I ain't supporting it.

The hardcore truth is today's music fans kinda suck and the majority of artists who put their music out there for you to consume often dislike these type of fans ultra shitty attitudes and poor excuses for not wanting to pay for music.

I know this because I'm friendly with lots of artists and producers from various genres who make and perform music for a living, and guess who we talk shit about in our conversations about the business? It's not the labels anymore kiddo..it's the fans...especially the underground fans who desire to keep their favorite underground artists a secret in fear that if they blow up into the mainstream that they will stop making good music which is the most dumbest and ridiculous school of thought ever, but it's a cultural stupidity that for some reason can't be shaken.

Making and releasing an album costs money.

From the electric bill to the software and studio gear to securing guest artists, to mixing and mastering to the artwork that's money that comes out of the artists pocket. So if the "Visual Album' will get those fans to actually support the artist so they can be less stressed about making a living doing what they do best in life then I'm 100% in and will adapt with the forthcoming change of the business. Because this is not a hobby for me, this is my business and I will apply this to my creativity so I can continue to survive in this business.

#50 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

actually, they're still starting us out with the same Super 8 film cameras from the '90s over here at CU haha. i guess it's to try and hold on to the dying medium as long as possible, and frankly i kinda like the idea of using strictly analog means to make something in this digital age we now live in...in fact, that's sorta the concept of the album i mentioned before that i hope to be working on this next year. it's cool to hear that you actually have extensive film knowledge/experience, that definitely sets you apart from the vast majority of the industry messing around with this idea. and as for the comments on this thread subtly promoting your album/s, i have this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7fuQ116QSg lol

That's a great Rod Stewart song! I've been playing it over and over again. :)

Getting back to my film school history my plan back then was for me to have retired from making records by the time I was 40 and then go into making serious feature films full time, but the major label system derailed my plans. I wanted to do the kind of films that Wes Anderson does But now that Beyonce opened the door to this new business model, I can.....

WARNING: I'm going to mention my 3 album project.

Where was I?

Oh yes I remember now....

I can Apply this kind of filmmaking to my music and vice versa for #REALHIPHOP 2 & 3 and maybe I can do it later for 1 when we do the vinyl box set. The possibilities are endless at this point the only limitations there is are ones I would place on myself. Either way this is the direction I'm going to go for my business.

#51 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

this is the direction I'm going to go for my business.

well i will see you on the other side then, Pete, cause i've been headed in that same direction ever since i first picked up my SP-303 and started sampling records...

#52 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

well i will see you on the other side then, Pete, cause i've been headed in that same direction ever since i first picked up my SP-303 and started sampling records...

I hope we cross paths and build. :)
  • James Frank. likes this

#53 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

grifty's gonna make a taste album. different snack for each track. CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT'S THE FUTURE!!!!!! follow it up with my smells project. call it "rap smellbum one" people gonna eat that shit up!
  • GC90 and James Frank. like this

#54 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

Pete, you've struck a chord on the boards with this topic...

#55 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

Pete, you've struck a chord on the boards with this topic...

In my experience , those who are slow to adapt are not only quick to anger, but they miss the very opportunities they seek in life.

#56 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

In my experience , those who are slow to adapt are not only quick to anger, but they miss the very opportunities they seek in life.

Only time will tell bruh

#57 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

#58 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

You are very quick to get adversarial Marriot. I have seen you do this on other forums too. Maybe you should ask yourself what the common denominator is? You have peppered your 'information' with numerous mentions of your forthcoming projects, that's why people are saying you are promoting yourself see? Truth is nobody gives a fuck what you did in the 80's or what you are doing now.
  • GC90 likes this

#59 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

You are very quick to get adversarial Marriot. I have seen you do this on other forums too. Maybe you should ask yourself what the common denominator is? You have peppered your 'information' with numerous mentions of your forthcoming projects, that's why people are saying you are promoting yourself see? Truth is nobody gives a fuck what you did in the 80's or what you are doing now.

*Sigh* Like I said before.... LOL! I'm sorry but you make me laugh.

#60 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

grifty's gonna make a taste album. different snack for each track. CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT'S THE FUTURE!!!!!! follow it up with my smells project. call it "rap smellbum one" people gonna eat that shit up!

Posted Image

this really did make me laugh out loud though...in front of other people too, and now i feel like an embarrassed zilch being judged by the guys/girls around me trying to study for their finals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users